• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Housing lease in HK and China

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Spoke to 2 friends from PRC and HK. Understand from them the house are on leasehold. In HK its 50 years and China, its 70years.
If this is the case, houses in HK are definitely very expensive. Was told by this HK friend that even after working for 10 years, they could not even afford the downpayment.

The houses varies from 300 to 400sqft. Anything above 500sqft, is considered a luxury.
Was told it's very common to have 4 person staying in a 500sqft house.
Was quite surprise by this.

Did not really ask about the houses in PRC. Just that rental is not that good over there. Understand from him, in China, its better to rent than buy. It's much cheaper this way.

maxxi

Alfrescian
Loyal
All property in hk lease hold expires in 2047 and Wil revert to commie government..except one pice of church land in kowloon.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thou shall Google and do thy own research
Let it be known the key phrase to search
Is "land tenure in hong kong"
On list that emerges in a flash
Papers more informative than below
Be forewarned that thy Engrish
Needs be powderful and caffeine at hand
Such dry and boring stuff's not for the timid
And yes there are 999 year leaseholds

Disclaimer to Kopi Fart and his ilk: was there is not same as still there

Hong Kong faced its own famous cliff, of a socio-political nature, in 1997. Under various unequal treaties imposed on China in the 19th century, Hong Kong Island and the tip of the Kowloon peninsula were ceded in perpetuity to Britain, but the great bulk of Hong Kong, some 90 per cent, still called to this day the New Territories, was the subject of a 99-year lease running from July 1, 1898.

Notwithstanding that Chinese governments had long since repudiated all three treaties, there was the problem of what the British would do when their lease ran out.

The Sino-British Joint Declaration of 1984 restored the whole of Hong Kong to China and provided that life in the city would continue past 1997 "unchanged for 50 years".

Because of the wording, many people assume that the 1997 crunch date has been replaced by a new "cliff" in 2047. They may have been strengthened in this false belief by the fact that land sold by the Hong Kong government between 1985 and 1997 was subject to leases that ran for the balance of British administration plus 50 years, that is, they too would expire in 2047.

But the "logic" is flawed because it overlooks fundamental differences between the situations prevailing at the relevant times.

What made 1997 a real cliff was the issue of land tenure. The master lease, and all the sub-leases, would actually run out. It's not the same in 2047.

While it is correct that the leases for land sold after 1985 will run out when the time comes, land sold since 1997 has been subject (with one exception, which I will come back to) to a lease for 50 years running from a current date. In other words, land sold in 1998 has a lease up to 2048, land sold in 1999 goes until 2049, and so on. The government is empowered under the Basic Law to husband the resources of Hong Kong on behalf of the central government and has managed them in a sensible way. It will certainly renew leases expiring in 2047 as a matter of routine.

To sum up in simple terms, there is no land tenure cliff in 2047. That means there need be no socio-political cliff either. The pledge of 50 years unchanged is not followed by the words "and thereafter the mainland systems will apply". So there is only one certainty about 2047: I will celebrate my 99th birthday.

Back to the one exception to the 50-year rule. The land occupied by Hong Kong Disneyland is subject to a 100-year lease (technically, 50 plus 50). I know, because I did the deal, and the only person to pick up the point was then convenor of the Executive Council, one CY Leung. We finessed the issue then, and though I have not asked him about it recently, I don't think Mr Leung plans to reopen the case now.

After all, how could a person known as "Mickey Mouse" render himself homeless when still a sprightly 99-year-old?

Mike Rowse is the search director of Stanton Chase International and an adjunct professor at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.

http://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1075067/no-need-fret-about-land-lease-cliff-2047

Charlie258

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spoke to 2 friends from PRC and HK. Understand from them the house are on leasehold. In HK its 50 years and China, its 70years.
If this is the case, houses in HK are definitely very expensive. Was told by this HK friend that even after working for 10 years, they could not even afford the downpayment.

The houses varies from 300 to 400sqft. Anything above 500sqft, is considered a luxury.
Was told it's very common to have 4 person staying in a 500sqft house.
Was quite surprise by this.

Did not really ask about the houses in PRC. Just that rental is not that good over there. Understand from him, in China, its better to rent than buy. It's much cheaper this way.

Correct. China lease is 70 years, HK is 50 years. HK, 38 years lease also got, for rich old folks who do not expect to outlive their lease.

There was one famous interview with a HK working-class: Reporter: "What will you do when your lease expires?" HK man: "By the time I retire, I will probably have moved to Shenzhen to live in a small rental flat. The rentals are cheaper in Mainland."

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Correct. China lease is 70 years, HK is 50 years. HK, 38 years lease also got, for rich old folks who do not expect to outlive their lease.

There was one famous interview with a HK working-class: Reporter: "What will you do when your lease expires?" HK man: "By the time I retire, I will probably have moved to Shenzhen to live in a small rental flat. The rentals are cheaper in Mainland."

As compared to China and HK, in Singapore we are still getting "value for money" with HDB 99 years leasehold.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I came across one condo in the East Coast, where, if I recall correctly, built in 1962, Still Mansion. Now already 52 years old. Though a bit run down. it's still around. Just imagine if lease is 50 years. Most lightly it will be torn down.

Anyway, it still makes sense to buy freehold or even 999(Condo or landed), if one can afford it.
Especially on hindsight, 52 years later.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As compared to China and HK, in Singapore we are still getting "value for money" with HDB 99 years leasehold.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I came across one condo in the East Coast, where, if I recall correctly, built in 1962, Still Mansion. Now already 52 years old. Though a bit run down. it's still around. Just imagine if lease is 50 years. Most lightly it will be torn down.

Anyway, it still makes sense to buy freehold or even 999(Condo or landed), if one can afford it.
Especially on hindsight, 52 years later.

Why compare with china and hk (also Prc)?
What kind of bullshit spin is value for money? Sg already one of most expensive real estate on earth.
Why not compare first world angmo land? What about Switzerland? Swiss standard of living remember?

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
china very big, affordability depends on which part. true that lease is 70 yrs.

as for hk, i'm not sure.

U correct China 70 lease.
In China property is very expensive in 1st 3 tier city.

SG is very lucky gov able to provide affordable HDB for all.
Some find it expensive because they want it near in CDb or near CDB.
Can category in like in China 1st tier >>> Sg CDB, 2nd tier >> near CDB in SG and 3rd tier >> develop town like Jurong East.

There are cheap HDB like in CCK.
Sinkie all want 1st 3 tier of course expensive.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What kind of bullshit spin is value for money? Sg already one of most expensive real estate on earth.
Why not compare first world angmo land? What about Switzerland? Swiss standard of living remember?

Ang Moh country also same. Do your own study and collect data before comment anything.
In Ang Moh country property in city also very expensive. Unless is more than 30~50km from city.
Whole whole is same location in center is very expensive.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ang Moh country also same. Do your own study and collect data before comment anything.
In Ang Moh country property in city also very expensive. Unless is more than 30~50km from city.

Yes expensive. I also read the news report Sg real estate one of most expensive in the world...correct me if I wrong.
Sg tiny like a little dot....50km outside city reach jb already.....you can still machiam have mult tier compare to country like china?
Ok la want to argue I argue with you....Sg freehold or 999....really freehold? Pap got land aquitistion act.

What is definition of affordable? You talk machiam like a vile pap dog.
Expensive just admit its expensive la....
Everyone rich or poor in Sg know this for a fact. See how much prices risen in recent years.
No need to do selective comparison with this and that country to brainwash dumbo sinkies.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Just a tongue in cheek comparison on the leases:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
50years, 70 years, 99 years. 300sqft, 500sqft, 1200sqft........

Anyway also came across some apartment selling in Tokyo, Japan.
Only 150sqft, 470sqft is the biggest unit in the building.

Imagine, staying in a 150sqft area.:eek::eek::eek:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ch 8 has a new program on small space decoration on Thur, 8.30 pm. So far shown a few Japan houses about 600 or 700 plus square feet and that is for two or three storeys. Very small but tastefully decorated, can take a look..

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

We are getting there make no mistake.
Partiomed rooms apt, shoebox units. 50 years loan. All coming to Sg.
Already happening now 32 pax squeezed onto hdb 4 room flat renting bed space.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Was told by ex-colleague, In China, the total area of the house includes the public area like lift lobby and stairway so if U buy a 100sq m home, 10 of it might be the lift lobby.,

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are getting there make no mistake.
Partiomed rooms apt, shoebox units. 50 years loan. All coming to Sg.
Already happening now 32 pax squeezed onto hdb 4 room flat renting bed space.

Another bad outcome of PAP policy, pity the poor neighbour staying next door. Such landlord should be punished to lose their flat, or if it is the tenant subletting then should jail these foreigners!

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Angmo countries, you buy property, it is yours forever ...you can pass on to as many generations as you want.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
vnmdyf.jpg

This apartment in Beijing, with one room, hall and kitchen and a bathroom.
7 years ago she bought another apartment in Chaoyang District,
2 rooms, hall, kitchen and a bathroom, cost her RMB 1 million.
So it is not cheap, same as HDB flat.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

In angmo country, the property is mostly freehold you retard. Its may be as expensive as SIngapore, but they own it for pertuity, not like HDB where its a lease, not even leasehold. Why don't u get a brain first before commenting on issues you have no knowledge of.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
U correct China 70 lease.
In China property is very expensive in 1st 3 tier city.

SG is very lucky gov able to provide affordable HDB for all.
Some find it expensive because they want it near in CDb or near CDB.
Can category in like in China 1st tier >>> Sg CDB, 2nd tier >> near CDB in SG and 3rd tier >> develop town like Jurong East.

There are cheap HDB like in CCK.
Sinkie all want 1st 3 tier of course expensive.

Singapore govt. provide affordable HDB for all? Are you fucking retarded, asshole?