• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Retiring in Thailand

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do whatever it takes to get a Canadian pension.

Was looking just at getting the citizenship. Not really interested in a pension plan as I think I have enough to live in LOS with the $ I already have. I would feel better knowing that I have a gov't I could turn to if I have problems overseas.

One of the things that put me off is having to stay in Canada for 5 years to qualify for citizenship. I often travel, so staying there for 5 years is not possible.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I think problem for most is money, 1.5k to enjoy good life may seem little if you not yet retire and have career now earning 4-5k or more if you retire that's going to eat into your savings. Can you share how you get by are you using your savings or have some investment on the side that generate this income to spend?

becos at 1.5k a month 1 year is 18k stay there for 10 years it's going to be 180k if you live 15-20 year there it's going to double.

Oh crap after posting here in the first page I somehow forgot about this good thread. Just rediscovered this thread while watching Argentina/Swiss match.

1. $1,500 = 37,500 baht is a lot of money and I am actually assuming cost for a couple which include rental (10,000) ; food (400 per day 12,000 per month) ; Utility include wifi/water/electricity (2,000) ; mobile (300) ; Transport (200 per day, 6,000 per month) the above which are all on high side works out to be only 30,300 baht or $1,212.

2. Ok where to get the money? I would assume the person is retired have some retirement funds that can be use. Then again also if really want to live in Thailand then assume no more living in Singapore so flat can rent out and make money right? So retirement funds no need to touch right?

I wish to touch a little about people afraid of safety, security, politics. Thailand is a very safe place and I advise you to live in a community like condo or cluster homes. As for politics come on, shit hits the fan every few years and you will get use to it, what you see on TV reporting is simply reporting of an even happening in some streets in Bangkok and not portray what's really happening in the whole country.

Let me know if you have further question, I'l remind myself to come in here more often.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh crap after posting here in the first page I somehow forgot about this good thread. Just rediscovered this thread while watching Argentina/Swiss match.

1. $1,500 = 37,500 baht is a lot of money and I am actually assuming cost for a couple which include rental (10,000) ; food (400 per day 12,000 per month) ; Utility include wifi/water/electricity (2,000) ; mobile (300) ; Transport (200 per day, 6,000 per month) the above which are all on high side works out to be only 30,300 baht or $1,212.

2. Ok where to get the money? I would assume the person is retired have some retirement funds that can be use. Then again also if really want to live in Thailand then assume no more living in Singapore so flat can rent out and make money right? So retirement funds no need to touch right?

I wish to touch a little about people afraid of safety, security, politics. Thailand is a very safe place and I advise you to live in a community like condo or cluster homes. As for politics come on, shit hits the fan every few years and you will get use to it, what you see on TV reporting is simply reporting of an even happening in some streets in Bangkok and not portray what's really happening in the whole country.

Let me know if you have further question, I'l remind myself to come in here more often.

When I move to the West, I would love to spend winter in Thailand. You and I can go drink kopi? :biggrin:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

I would love to spend a few months of the year in Thailand. It is my dream but right now I have a beloved dog to look after.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I would love to spend a few months of the year in Thailand. It is my dream but right now I have a beloved dog to look after.

Hahahaha you have a dog? Meet my Maltese ready to go to her birthday party last Friday

In her kimono

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Hahahaha you have a dog? Meet my Maltese ready to go to her birthday party last Friday

Dogs have such short lives I cannot bear to leave my dog for extended periods of time. We go everywhere together.

Your dog is really cute and her cake looks better than what humans get in NZ. Be careful not to feed dogs chocolate though. It is poisonous to them.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Dogs have such short lives I cannot bear to leave my dog for extended periods of time. We go everywhere together.

Your dog is really cute and her cake looks better than what humans get in NZ. Be careful not to feed dogs chocolate though. It is poisonous to them.

Yes after Fluffy's death two years ago we kindda treasure our new dog more. We never leave her alone at home and strict instruction to maid is not more than 30mins she can leave her along (sometimes maid got to go 7Eleven).

Wonder if I'd mentioned this, on the day maid drove wifey to collect this Maltese from the breeder after the weaning period, both were emotionally in tears when they saw her birth cert as her birthday was the same day Fluffy passed away. Was pretty shocking to all of us this coincidence. Okay this is hocus pocus however to many it could be a reminder, so now we sort of treasure her even more and keep Fluffy's remains in the urn beside our bed.

Oh ya I know about the chocolate thing, na I didn't allow her to eat, just the ice-cream. Thanks.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
so now we sort of treasure her even more and keep Fluffy's remains in the urn beside our bed.

What a coincidence! I have lost 2 dogs through old age over the years and both of them are in caskets which are placed in their favourite spots in the house. One is in the living room where he can watch TV because that is what he liked doing when he was alive.

The other one loved the couch in the bedroom so that is where she now spends all her time in a little casket with her name engraved on the lid.

KNNBGCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes after Fluffy's death two years ago we kindda treasure our new dog more. We never leave her alone at home and strict instruction to maid is not more than 30mins she can leave her along (sometimes maid got to go 7Eleven).

Oh ya I know about the chocolate thing, na I didn't allow her to eat, just the ice-cream. Thanks.

Cute dog. Great companion in the absence of children. Wanted to get one but wifey was also against it. Guess I just have to do it first and answer later :biggrin:

How much does it cost to buy 1 maltese in LOS? It cost pretty much in Singapore. Cost around 1.5K SGD the last time someone quoted me.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Cute dog. Great companion in the absence of children. Wanted to get one but wifey was also against it. Guess I just have to do it first and answer later :biggrin:

How much does it cost to buy 1 maltese in LOS? It cost pretty much in Singapore. Cost around 1.5K SGD the last time someone quoted me.

A pet is a lifetime commitment as for a dog one should know the the dog always strive to please his master and companion no matter what so it's sad people I'll treat or abandon their best friend.

We bought Aiko for 22,000 baht.

iluvbakkua

Alfrescian
Loyal

renting out flat here these days is not problem free, was in papers many dun want to rent out to FT cuz complain tentants mess and dun maintain place. Ideal is can find a good kuai tenant and also pay good rental but FT are here only to make money and so also want cheap and to them renting is like living hotel expect somebody else to clean up.

hdb rules for income taxes from rental is ard 10% assume realistic 2.1k rental on 3-rm taxes will come in around 2.5k a year, total will be appreciably less if you also need to net off for servicing home loan that you haven't fully paid.

If you sell the flat the amt originally borrowed from cpf goes back to cpf with interest any remainder from sale can take. Likewise any thing you invest using cpf go back to cpf like dividends, capital gains, not sure about income from investing in bonds.

I calculated to get 1.5k at a realistic 3% return you need an outlay of 700-800k & factor income taxes and that's all cash to begin with how many here have that idle in bank account?

So I think if you are already rich, lots of cash then all these no issue but I feel many they have assets worth money but are tied up so I think short retirement holidays of few months in a year is possible but fully retire in los or anywhere else unlikely.

Despera

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am lucky enough to spend about a year in Northern Thailand last year as I wanted to take a career break, and I truly enjoyed every second of the carefree life style. Warning, it's very very different from living there long term and be there as a tourist! I also over spent a little. There is quite a bit of set-up costs which I did not take into consideration. I bought a second hand car to move around as oppose to needing to bargain with the tuk tuk drivers when travelling from pt. A to pt. B.

Am back to work and looking forward to moving back there when the opportunity arises!

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When i lost my pet dog last time due to old age, i lamented that dogs have such short lives. However, now with my 2nd pet dog, i would rather them have short lives than longer lives than humans. For humans, we may get over their death sooner, but for them, they will wait and wait, thinking owner/s will come back one day. The waiting for them is eternity.

What a coincidence! I have lost 2 dogs through old age over the years and both of them are in caskets which are placed in their favourite spots in the house. One is in the living room where he can watch TV because that is what he liked doing when he was alive.

The other one loved the couch in the bedroom so that is where she now spends all her time in a little casket with her name engraved on the lid.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have lost 2 dogs through old age over the years and both of them are in caskets which are placed in their favourite spots in the house.

i'm planning to bury my favorite lump in this casket. :o

image.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
When i lost my pet dog last time due to old age, i lamented that dogs have such short lives. However, now with my 2nd pet dog, i would rather them have short lives than longer lives than humans. For humans, we may get over their death sooner, but for them, they will wait and wait, thinking owner/s will come back one day. The waiting for them is eternity.

Hachiko
[video=youtube;fJxgu8TtIWI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJxgu8TtIWI[/video]