• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Retiring in Thailand

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well, if anyone is intending to go to bangkok to view properties with the intention to retire there in future (Beyond AEC or not), let me know.. maybe i tag along and see as well.. thank you..

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ermmm....

Eligibility
UOB International Home Loan - Thailand is open to foreigners aged 21 and above with a minimum income of SGD 100,000 per annum.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well, if anyone is intending to go to bangkok to view properties with the intention to retire there in future (Beyond AEC or not), let me know.. maybe i tag along and see as well.. thank you..

I've been reading what others have written & many recommend renting a place first to find out if you like an area & if it is a condo, if the management is good. Unlike in Spore it seems that in LOS buying can be more complicated. Condo managers can be lazy, dishonest, etc. In places with a nice view, you might find new structures popping up spoiling the view.

So owning a property can be a liability.

Muthukali

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi all, just to check with you guys, if i go through a property agent in Singapore to purchase a condo in Thailand, the price listed is SGD 70k, what other hidden fees do i need to take note?

The link is here.

Last edited:

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
siao one. thailand property becoming as mad overpirced as sinkie, and some more soon to be civil war(AGAIN). u still want to buy. if their prices were realistic, they should be plummeting!! u think u hoe-farmer ching or temasacks holdings issit? can buy high sell low, and win all the time?

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi all, just to check with you guys, if i go through a property agent in Singapore to purchase a condo in Thailand, the price listed is SGD 70k, what other hidden fees do i need to take note?

The link is here.

Dey, paiseh, I don't know about the procedure for going through an sg agent.

The one you listed is in quite good location. The property developer also quite reputable.

Suggest you come here take a look, can bring you go makan nasi briyani and roti prata.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've been reading what others have written & many recommend renting a place first to find out if you like an area & if it is a condo, if the management is good. Unlike in Spore it seems that in LOS buying can be more complicated. Condo managers can be lazy, dishonest, etc. In places with a nice view, you might find new structures popping up spoiling the view.

So owning a property can be a liability.

Johnny, you are right on the rent before buy first. Many projects started very nice but ended up becoming not such a nice neighbourhood. Also need to consider transportation and ammenities.

The other thing I consider is privacy and quietness.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
siao one. thailand property becoming as mad overpirced as sinkie, and some more soon to be civil war(AGAIN). u still want to buy. if their prices were realistic, they should be plummeting!! u think u hoe-farmer ching or temasacks holdings issit? can buy high sell low, and win all the time?

If one is looking at properties as an investment then I think they should look at Bangkok because you can more easily rent it out.
For those who want to live there they would look elsewhere where there are no jams, pollution, crowds,.... Or one could buy in Bangkok, rent it out, and use the rent money to rent elsewhere.

Now that there are political problems one has to be more cautious but don't forget that this is part of living in LOS. That's why one should just rent first & see if living in LOS is what you are looking for.

Another way at looking at the political problems is that it is a buying oppurtunity :smile: When others are scared off, the prices will fall.

I'm actually waiting for 2015 to see if it will be easier for ASEAN citizens to move about. If I buy a place in LOS I don't want to spend too much. I'll treat it as buying a car, a major expenditure but an expense that will not financially ruin me if I have to sell at a loss.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Johnny, you are right on the rent before buy first. Many projects started very nice but ended up becoming not such a nice neighbourhood. Also need to consider transportation and ammenities.

The other thing I consider is privacy and quietness.

You have lived there so you understand the life there :smile:

Many Sporeans only know about life in Spore. So they are going to experience some culture shock. Even buying property in LOS is not so clear cut and they may end up getting cheated, overpaying, buying lemons,..
Many foreigners have successfully made the move there. So it is not that hard.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You have lived there so you understand the life there :smile:

Many Sporeans only know about life in Spore. So they are going to experience some culture shock. Even buying property in LOS is not so clear cut and they may end up getting cheated, overpaying, buying lemons,..
Many foreigners have successfully made the move there. So it is not that hard.

Just did a DIY Outdoor Air Cooler using 22 inch fan. Copper piping cost me THB 550, aquarim pump THB 200, Styroam box 130, 15 Kg of Ice 20 Baht. Very happy with the result except now neighbors all kay poh come and look at my house.

Got the idea from this:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZF0J8OvDSmM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did this to cool the outdoor dining area during the day time.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just did a DIY Outdoor Air Cooler using 22 inch fan. Copper piping cost me THB 550, aquarim pump THB 200, Styroam box 130, 15 Kg of Ice 20 Baht. Very happy with the result except now neighbors all kay poh come and look at my house. ..

Why DIY when there are ready made ones? I think I saw the air coolers being sold in a home hardware store in Central Pattaya Rd. The store is next to the Supermarket.

I wanted to get some American Standard bathroom fixtures for my home in Spore :smile:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why DIY when there are ready made ones? I think I saw the air coolers being sold in a home hardware store in Central Pattaya Rd. The store is next to the Supermarket.

I wanted to get some American Standard bathroom fixtures for my home in Spore :smile:

Yes, there are many off the shelf outdoor fans at Home Pro and Home Works. Actually, if I add in the cost of tools and equipment used for the project, it cost much more than a ready made one. Just trying to pass time since nothing much to do anyway.

Long term, tools and equipments invested will be used to construct a DIY mini organic garden. And hopefully, will be 40-50% self sufficient for veges/fruits by year end.

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone notice that the the baht is really down, 1 SIN=26+ baht :eek:

Never seen it so low.

i take back what i said. maybe this is the time to buy... but not at such ridiculous prices and not in bangkok where most of the trouble is. northern thailand should be where opportunity lies.

iluvbakkua

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok guys.

I think Thailand is a great place to retire. forget about the political problem, life bloody goes on, let them fight.

when I say Thailand is a great place to retire I mean that one must be willing to live local and its less than S$1.5k per month you will need in Thailand I mean in Bangkok. Places like in Hua Hin, Pattaya, Phuket and other touristic places I dare not say, sure damn expensive and you pay "farang" prices of course but in Bangkok if you know how to live S$1.5k is too much. Medical is also very cheap. If you want details you can find it in the Thai thread. Othe places like angmoh countries please be careful of medical costs. Ok just to give you some examples - endoscopy + colonscopy costs about $1.5k, dental is $30, full medical is $500 (detail one la) etc etc.

I think Thailand is a perfect place for sinkies because its near, come on, many farangs are building Japanese Villages, Dutch Villages, Koreans Villages, German Villages etc etc surely they are not wrong right? Only I've not seen sinkie village but I guess sinkies are very smart and well blend into Thai culture which is why you don't find sinkie village anywhere.

I believe this is a great place for sinkies, afterall Singapore is just so close.

Please let me know if anyone need help I should be able to link you to a good guy to help you apply for your visa.

I think problem for most is money, 1.5k to enjoy good life may seem little if you not yet retire and have career now earning 4-5k or more if you retire that's going to eat into your savings. Can you share how you get by are you using your savings or have some investment on the side that generate this income to spend?

becos at 1.5k a month 1 year is 18k stay there for 10 years it's going to be 180k if you live 15-20 year there it's going to double.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
After retiring in Australia and NZ, I would now like to try retiring in Thailand.

iluvbakkua

Alfrescian
Loyal
I calculated backwards for 18k return a year you need an outlay of S$600k

But after servicing HDB loan not not many going to be able to still have that kind of money to invest.