• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Retiring in Thailand

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi, i would like to know whether any bros here are retiring in Thailand. There is this retirement visa for those above 50 to retire in Thailand and allows them to remain in thailand for long-term. It's a place where the money goes longer than other places, and still allow easy trips back to SG. Anyone thinking of doing it or anyone already there. I do not plan to emigrate there before 50 as career still in SG. But just would like to hear views from Bros here. Thank you..

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi, i would like to know whether any bros here are retiring in Thailand. There is this retirement visa for those above 50 to retire in Thailand and allows them to remain in thailand for long-term. It's a place where the money goes longer than other places, and still allow easy trips back to SG. Anyone thinking of doing it or anyone already there. I do not plan to emigrate there before 50 as career still in SG. But just would like to hear views from Bros here. Thank you..

Semi-retired 4 years ago on and full retirement 2 months ago. Do not qualify for retirement visa but that doesn't stop me from retiring here.

Many things not cheap especially in the cities and tourist destination. Personally, I advise you to go elsewhere for retirement. My opinion is LOS not really suitable for Sinkees.

Look further. Place like AUS and NZ will be much better.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you are willing to learn Thai (read and write) and mix with locals (meaning local lifestyle) OK.

But living as expats not really cheap-just like staying in Orchard Road/River Valley areas while locals stay in HDB estates in Singapore.

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you are willing to learn Thai (read and write) and mix with locals (meaning local lifestyle) OK.

But living as expats not really cheap-just like staying in Orchard Road/River Valley areas in Singapore.

Yes. Have to consider a few other major issues, political situation and flooding.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am waiting for 2015 to see if the ASEAN Economic Community(AEC) will make it easier to stay in LOS because I am thinking of semi-retiring in LOS. Even if you get a retirement VISA the problem is that if you want to leave & re-enter LOS you have to pay baht. For a retirement VISA you also need to show that you have at least $50k. Kinda expensive to have so much tied up in a bank account.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am waiting for 2015 to see if the ASEAN Economic Community(AEC) will make it easier to stay in LOS because I am thinking of semi-retiring in LOS. Even if you get a retirement VISA the problem is that if you want to leave & re-enter LOS you have to pay baht. For a retirement VISA you also need to show that you have at least $50k. Kinda expensive to have so much tied up in a bank account.
Get one year multiple entry permit if you need to go out often. For retirement visa, it's not $50K, it's $32K to be exact. And you can withdraw all after approval until the next renewal.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Get one year multiple entry permit if you need to go out often. For retirement visa, it's not $50K, it's $32K to be exact. And you can withdraw all after approval until the next renewal.

Thanks for clarification.
Whatever $ I put in a bank in LOS would probably stay there because of the foreign exchange fluctuation & cost of moving funds.

I guess I can apply for a yearly permit but for the long term it would be nicer if it was as hassle free as going to Malaysia. I was thinking of spending $100k to $150k for a place in Pattaya to park my barang, barang. However with the political problems I will probably rent.

For me there is no rush. I can wait to see if the AEC will make it easier to retire there.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's one way of making the AEC work for us...

When I was in LOS I talked to some property agents & they told me that people were already expecting AEC to boost property buying by foreigners. However this was before the political problems.

The political problems could be a mixed blessing. On one hand it will drive demand down but it could also make living in LOS more dangerous:confused:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ok guys.

I think Thailand is a great place to retire. forget about the political problem, life bloody goes on, let them fight.

when I say Thailand is a great place to retire I mean that one must be willing to live local and its less than S$1.5k per month you will need in Thailand I mean in Bangkok. Places like in Hua Hin, Pattaya, Phuket and other touristic places I dare not say, sure damn expensive and you pay "farang" prices of course but in Bangkok if you know how to live S$1.5k is too much. Medical is also very cheap. If you want details you can find it in the Thai thread. Othe places like angmoh countries please be careful of medical costs. Ok just to give you some examples - endoscopy + colonscopy costs about $1.5k, dental is $30, full medical is $500 (detail one la) etc etc.

I think Thailand is a perfect place for sinkies because its near, come on, many farangs are building Japanese Villages, Dutch Villages, Koreans Villages, German Villages etc etc surely they are not wrong right? Only I've not seen sinkie village but I guess sinkies are very smart and well blend into Thai culture which is why you don't find sinkie village anywhere.

I believe this is a great place for sinkies, afterall Singapore is just so close.

Please let me know if anyone need help I should be able to link you to a good guy to help you apply for your visa.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just wondering, coz if going with GF, GF not working mah... How then, she can stay for long period of time there.. dont think there's such a visa..

If you can afford to stay here long before retirement age, hell, that's the least of the problem.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just wondering, coz if going with GF, GF not working mah... How then, she can stay for long period of time there.. dont think there's such a visa..

Can look at the education visa e.g. learning the Thai language.

I'm hoping the AEC will make things easier because although I plan to take language lessons. I would rather do it at my own pace & not because of some requirement for staying in the country.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What is the price range of chitlom condo?

Obviously it depends on the area you intend to stay at.

In Bangkok you can get a place near the MRT for $200k to $300k for a two room unit. It is cheaper in Pattaya you can get a studio for $50k to $100k. You can of course find more expensive places but one doesn't need to spend as much as in Spore.

You can get an idea of top end prices targeting angmos at this site
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/in-Thailand.html
http://www.thailand-property.com/

Last edited:

XXtCC

Alfrescian
Loyal
Obviously it depends on the area you intend to stay at.

In Bangkok you can get a place near the MRT for $200k to $300k for a two room unit. It is cheaper in Pattaya you can get a studio for $50k to $100k. You can of course find more expensive places but one doesn't need to spend as much as in Spore.

You can get an idea of top end prices targeting angmos at this site
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/in-Thailand.html
http://www.thailand-property.com/

Thanks for the link bro, much appreciate.