• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why China always get the Latest Car Tech?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Every time I look at the smog in modern Chinese metropolises like Shanghai and Beijing, I'm reminded of LA in the early '80s – the smog city of the world. It's all due to automobile exhaust. Beijing has just exceeded 5 million vehicles – about the human population of Singapore.

California was the first state in the US to gun for zero emission policy. The Chinese are 30 years behind, but it's never too late to switch to zero-emission vehicles and renewable energy. They have even bigger numbers than the Americans, so achieving economies of scales isn't a problem. It's all about political will.

I think the Chinese have better political will than the angmo govt regarding zero emission. The Chinese cccp govt even more green than pap. China have a lot of companies dealing with renewable energy. I recently transit Beijing and I notice on the viaduct leading from highway to terminal, the lamppost are powered by solar panels. Sign of progress in the land of the dragon. Even spore with so much sunlight also never make an effort to use this renewable energy in our infrastructure.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
electric car very dangerous lah.they are as quiet as a mouse machine.
sometime is moving quietly behind you..you dont even know
dont know how many innocent is going to get kill by the quiet machine

Last edited:

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
2 reasons,

1. Stinkaporean cannot afford them
2. It is made in china.
LTA is still kooning!!

Tesla sets its sights on China
Christian Science Monitor | All Stories

Tesla will build electric cars in China in the next three to four years, giving Tesla a foothold in an ever-growing market – and helping the automaker avoid China's hefty 25 percent import tariff.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the Chinese have better political will than the angmo govt regarding zero emission. The Chinese cccp govt even more green than pap. China have a lot of companies dealing with renewable energy. I recently transit Beijing and I notice on the viaduct leading from highway to terminal, the lamppost are powered by solar panels. Sign of progress in the land of the dragon. Even spore with so much sunlight also never make an effort to use this renewable energy in our infrastructure.

Indeed. The impetus for govt action comes from the desire to be self-sufficient in energy, rising oil prices, appalling pollution and global warming wreaking havoc on their weather systems. The large number of UNESCO World Heritage sites has also increased public awareness about environmental issues. (I remember when I was in Lijiang 7 years ago all the shops were mandated to use recyclable cloth bags, and that was some years before we even started introducing them here in our supermarts.)

China has the world's largest wind resources, is #4 in the world for installed wind energy capacity, #1 for hydroelectric power, manufactures 63% of the world's solar panels, #2 for geothermal power. Their target is ambitious: to increase the supply of the renewable energy to 40% of energy market by 2050 from the current 17%. Only obstacle is their heavy reliance on coal for cost and political reasons.

On the other hand, I've not heard one single word uttered about renewable energy or zero emission by our multi-millionaire Pappy ministers.

Last edited:

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LTA is still kooning!!

Tesla sets its sights on China
Christian Science Monitor | All Stories

Tesla will build electric cars in China in the next three to four years, giving Tesla a foothold in an ever-growing market – and helping the automaker avoid China's hefty 25 percent import tariff.

You compare China with Singapore??? They have 1.3 billion pop and we have 5 million and everyone here already making so much noise...

The car in Bejing had is already much more than Singapore... People already went to the moon a few times and we did not get out of the ozone layer yet...

However we Singaporean still look down on China... I do not understand the logic... Maybe we look at Geylang those standing prostitutes and we thought the whole China peoples are prostitutes...:biggrin:

Please go out and take a look... Please do not sit in front of PC and thought you understand everything out there...:rolleyes:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some will say cars, whether electric or petrol driven are not practical in Singapore, and they have their reasons. But people desire to be more independent than reliant on public transport if they can help it, so a car will always be on most people's wish list. Whether society turns to e-cars, H-cell or remain with current petrol cars will be driven by economic and political reasons. Whatever disadvantages faced by any system today will be challenged by human scientists and will be improved, just look at the size of mobile phones when first introduced and today's models, world of difference. The same will be true for e cars or hydrogen fuel cells. Private companies will compete and improve on performance, size, recharge times, and cost.

Cheers!

Yo... Electric car not practical here. Hdb car park dun have access to electric plug. Most condos estate also dun have. Only ppl that can use electric car are landed properties dwellers.

IMHO, EV not green at all. The batteries cost a bomb to change. The process of manufacturing the batteries are toxic to Mother Earth. Range of 160km not fantastic and that range is for 50km cruise. Higher speed mean shorter range.

Hydrogen fuel cell is the way to go.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whatever disadvantages faced by any system today will be challenged by human scientists and will be improved, just look at the size of mobile phones when first introduced and today's models, world of difference. The same will be true for e cars or hydrogen fuel cells. Private companies will compete and improve on performance, size, recharge times, and cost.

Quite right. Advancing technology and market forces have always driven paradigm changes in the way we live and travel and communicate with one another.

Worldwide sales of mobile phones were a meagre 1 million in 1986. The number doubled every 2 years over the next 12 years. By 2001 there were 961 million phones — 1,000-fold increase in 15 years. Today there are more than 4 billion phone subscribers, with 780 million in China alone (2 1/2 times the population of US).

In 1980, there were 1 million PCs sold worldwide. By 2008, there were 270 million — 270-fold jump in 28 years.

If the govts of the world could just summon the political will and drive the clean energy movt through legislation, public education and dangling carrots before corporations in the energy sector, we'll see a revolution.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's true about California leading the way in environmental issues and the awareness that came into their minds from the pollution and smog in the States during the 70s. They've come a long way. Because of them, the two-stroke engine was given the death blow, and that almost happened to the diesel engine as well, which was kept alive by Europe. In this, over the years, continued R&D in diesel technology can be seen in European cars but not in US (or Japanese) makes. Some diesel models in European cars are clean burning and more economical than gasoline engines in US brands. Well, in some ways, politics there have killed developments in certain areas.

Cheers!

Every time I look at the smog in modern Chinese metropolises like Shanghai and Beijing, I'm reminded of LA in the early '80s – the smog city of the world. It's all due to automobile exhaust. Beijing has just exceeded 5 million vehicles – about the human population of Singapore.

California was the first state in the US to gun for zero emission policy. The Chinese are 30 years behind, but it's never too late to switch to zero-emission vehicles and renewable energy. They have even bigger numbers than the Americans, so achieving economies of scales isn't a problem. It's all about political will.

hurley

Alfrescian
Loyal
china's population is so big. if the technology doesn't work and kill some people, it's ok. there are still many others :rolleyes:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very funny. People tend to think electric car is green car.But where the electricity come from?
If electricity from burning coal/fuel not green right.
If from solar/wind turbine/geothermal then we can call it green car.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very funny. People tend to think electric car is green car.But where the electricity come from?
If electricity from burning coal/fuel not green right.
If from solar/wind turbine/geothermal then we can call it green car.

Correct. E-vehicles have to recharged by electricity generated by renewable energy to be truly green. That said, there's evidence to believe that even with the use of conventional fossil fuel-based power plants, the net carbon emission will still be slightly lower with e-vehicles than with petrol or diesel engines.

That's why talking about electric vehicles without talking about clean energy sources is putting the cart before the horse.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Internal combustion engine efficiency is around 30% at best. For electricity generation using fossil fuel it's a lot higher around 60% at a guess. Most of the lost are due to friction, heat lost. Don't forget transmission of electricity also adds to the lost as well. Solar/wind has its own sets of problem, including yield, noise, conversion to ac/dc. Material used during manufacturing adds to the total environmental cost. The only true "green" energy is really nuclear. However it has been politicised, feared in the last decade or more.
Correct. E-vehicles have to recharged by electricity generated by renewable energy to be truly green. That said, there's evidence to believe that even with the use of conventional fossil fuel-based power plants, the net carbon emission will still be slightly lower with e-vehicles than with petrol or diesel engines.

That's why talking about electric vehicles without talking about clean energy sources is putting the cart before the horse.