• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Another gimmick to pacifier peasants... no pay rise.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
The U Appreciate Movement was launched on Saturday to encourage employers and the public to show more care and respect for low-wage workers. In discussions held last year, several issues were raised over the lack of respect and appreciation for this group of workers and their jobs.

SINGAPORE: The labour movement on Saturday launched a new social initiative that aims to generate greater care and respect for low-wage workers.

Called the U Appreciate Movement, it comes after discussions held last year raised several issues over the lack of respect and appreciation for this group of workers and their jobs.

The first to be appreciated will be some 30,000 low-wage workers in three sectors.

The National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) said the efforts of low-wage workers – those in the cleaning, security and landscape sectors – very often go unrecognised and under-appreciated.

The U Appreciate Movement will call for employers and the public to respect and appreciate their contributions.

The aim is not only to raise awareness of their contributions, but hopefully, to improve wages and working conditions.

Zainal Sapari, assistant secretary-general of NTUC, said: "This social movement is very, very important to change the mindset of the public, to make them acknowledge that the work done by these workers are very, very important in terms of our cleanliness, in terms of security, in general making lives more comfortable for us.

“If we can change the mindset of the public of the importance of the work done by these groups of workers, it will make our effort to improve their wages, improve their working conditions."

Workers welcomed such efforts.

Hamzaim Yusof, a landscape worker, said: "The public treat us well... they appreciate our jobs, and that's what we want and it satisfies us when somebody says 'hey, what a beautiful landscape you have done' and we appreciate that."

As a partner in the effort, the Singapore Labour Foundation has committed a S$2-million fund for companies to organise appreciation events, possible national-level awards to recognise outstanding workers and social media campaigns to engage the public.

More details will be provided at a later stage.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/new-initiative-to/1076540.html

this must be better then masturbation.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
As though we have no respect for low wage workers and do not appreciate their handwork. It is us, yes us Singaporeans who have pressuring this fucking Govt to have minimum wage policy enforced by law. NTUC has not lifted a finger in this respect. All they care is getting a Golf course for the one they are going to lose. Can these low wage workers can afford to play golf at Orchid Country Club. What is the fucking priority of NTUC.

How about a campaign to look after Singapore workers who are in low, middle and high income wage category that have lost their jobs to foreigners.

Ask Zorro who is the Golf Club for?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I appreciated the kebun that come to my house when I was young to mow the lawn, trim the hedges etc... when he was 'retrenched' by the family, he gave me his lawn mower, in which I kept it as a souvenir, even though I no longer have a lawn when I grew up, for we look after him like a family....the postmen that deliver the mails..gets a courtesy drink on a hot day, a shelter, when it rains & Ang pow during the new year & their new year...the dustbin men too had the same courtesy...at the surrounding areas,the workers for the 36 door vehicle, were accorded the same courtesy...we were privilege enough to have modern sewerage system..

DO WE NEED AN UNION & A GOVERNMENT TO TELL US TO APPRECIATE PEOPLE WHO PUT IN THEIR FAIR SHARE OF THE WORK, IN WHICH PEOPLE LOOK DOWN UPON & DO NOT WANT?

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excellent post bro. Initially I thought you got the wrong thread and was a tad self indulgent. Then it came thru with full impact. Then I looked at the nick, should have known better.

I appreciated the kebun that come to my house when I was young to mow the lawn, trim the hedges etc... when he was 'retrenched' by the family, he gave me his lawn mower, in which I kept it as a souvenir, even though I no longer have a lawn when I grew up, for we look after him like a family....the postmen that deliver the mails..gets a courtesy drink on a hot day, a shelter, when it rains & Ang pow during the new year & their new year...the dustbin men too had the same courtesy...at the surrounding areas,the workers for the 36 door vehicle, were accorded the same courtesy...we were privilege enough to have modern sewerage system..

DO WE NEED AN UNION & A GOVERNMENT TO TELL US TO APPRECIATE PEOPLE WHO PUT IN THEIR FAIR SHARE OF THE WORK, IN WHICH PEOPLE LOOK DOWN UPON & DO NOT WANT?

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suspect he has been hijacked. He does not come across as the same person. I think agent smith has got him. Get to the phone booth now we hv to leave the matrix. Now.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is the 'wonderful thing' the PAP-NTUC shills here keep crowing about here. :rolleyes:

This kind of 'showing respect/appreciation' is not unlike free SAFRA membership and vouchers for NSmen. :wink:

:kma:

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is the 'wonderful thing' the PAP-NTUC shills here keep crowing about here. :rolleyes:

This kind of 'showing respect/appreciation' is not unlike free SAFRA membership and vouchers for NSmen. :wink:

:kma:

Hang the PAP bastards and their collaborators from piano wires dangling them from lamp posts to dance and dance or BBQ them all.
True justice be given to them or they be given to justice one way or other.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Back in 1980s when goh chok tong was working with NTUC,NTUC was a real union with union leaders from various dialect clans and organizations.goh chok tong was the only PAP minister in history to sanction a workers strike.

Now NTUC is nothing more than PAP cronies and a supermarket chain.

As though we have no respect for low wage workers and do not appreciate their handwork. It is us, yes us Singaporeans who have pressuring this fucking Govt to have minimum wage policy enforced by law. NTUC has not lifted a finger in this respect. All they care is getting a Golf course for the one they are going to lose. Can these low wage workers can afford to play golf at Orchid Country Club. What is the fucking priority of NTUC.

How about a campaign to look after Singapore workers who are in low, middle and high income wage category that have lost their jobs to foreigners.

Ask Zorro who is the Golf Club for?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
SINGAPORE: The labour movement on Saturday launched a new social initiative that aims to generate greater care and respect for low-wage workers.

No Chink is ever going to show care and respect for someone who has less money than he has. :rolleyes:

Savingtheworld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, this is true though -
Hamzaim Yusof, a landscape worker, said: "The public treat us well... they appreciate our jobs, and that's what we want and it satisfies us when somebody says 'hey, what a beautiful landscape you have done' and we appreciate that."

I wished i thanked the uncle who was trimming the bushes in the morning. I will do so the next round and tell him i appreciate his work!

dodgeball

Alfrescian
Loyal
Back in 1980s when goh chok tong was working with NTUC,NTUC was a real union with union leaders from various dialect clans and organizations.goh chok tong was the only PAP minister in history to sanction a workers strike.

Now NTUC is nothing more than PAP cronies and a supermarket chain.

Don't forget Ong Teng Cheong sanctioned a two-day strike in 1986.

"1986 Hydril strike
On 2 January 1986, 61 workers from American oilfield equipment company, Hydril, voted to strike and picketed outside their factory . The two-day strike, which was sanctioned by then Secretary General of the NTUC, Ong Teng Cheong, was over the alleged victimisation and dismissal of six union members and officials. The strike resulted in an agreement to reinstate Abdul Rahman who was the treasurer of the Hydril branch union, as well as compensate each of the five others who were dismissed the year before."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_movement_of_Singapore#1986_Hydril_strike

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To rub salt into the wounds of us ordinary citizens, they defer the payout of CPF back to us.

Give us back all OUR hard-earned CPF money at age 55 NOWWWW !!:mad:

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Other gimmicks are concessions of public transport and pioneer package.So many people don't understand.Want to help people,make it simple.But they purposefully make it so complicated that the
finance professionals and MPs also don't understand.So many grey areas.PUI !

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't forget Ong Teng Cheong sanctioned a two-day strike in 1986.

"1986 Hydril strike
On 2 January 1986, 61 workers from American oilfield equipment company, Hydril, voted to strike and picketed outside their factory . The two-day strike, which was sanctioned by then Secretary General of the NTUC, Ong Teng Cheong, was over the alleged victimisation and dismissal of six union members and officials. The strike resulted in an agreement to reinstate Abdul Rahman who was the treasurer of the Hydril branch union, as well as compensate each of the five others who were dismissed the year before."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_movement_of_Singapore#1986_Hydril_strike

yeah it was ong teng cheong,i got them mixed up.....

Isogallardo

Alfrescian
Loyal
no pay raise? Wow, i wonder what is the progressive wage is that is going to be mandated for cleaners, security and landscaping. This is a pay increase already. Also NWC recommendations for pay increment annually. If the employers dont want to pay on NWC's recommendations, IT is the government's fault? I wonder if people want a free market or they want a dictatorship.

Crying for freedom & democracy and shit yet when wanting everything to be mandated by the government if not it is the government's fault?? what is a fucking joke!

I wonder if you know what democracy really is or not.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no pay raise? Wow, i wonder what is the progressive wage is that is going to be mandated for cleaners, security and landscaping. This is a pay increase already. Also NWC recommendations for pay increment annually. If the employers dont want to pay on NWC's recommendations, IT is the government's fault? I wonder if people want a free market or they want a dictatorship.

Crying for freedom & democracy and shit yet when wanting everything to be mandated by the government if not it is the government's fault?? what is a fucking joke!

I wonder if you know what democracy really is or not.
Democracy is what the people want isn't it?

It is dictatorship to demand for better things for the betterment of people lives?I'm not sure if I understand what u mean by dictatorship.I had a temporary flashback of north Korea,Stalin and afganiatan.

We let free market forces and whatnot decide everything for the sake of freedom and liberty?in that case we better bring back slavery since human greed knows no bounds.what Singapore has now is as good as slavery now.people labouring for nothing more than a mere token sum in today's world economy.that's like being a slave with Sundays off as free men.what happened to fair wages for a fair living?what Singapore needs is real unions and strikes .

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm sure the many workers in S'pore earning less than 1k a month would rather have their wages increased to a respectable level instead of having this stupid campaign to garner more sympathy for them..

In the first place its the bastard Govt that play a huge part in demeaning the role of the cleaners, the factory workers, the petrol kiosk workers by making their wages stagnant all this years..