• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pinoy Singapore Citizen uncommitted to Singapore?

coldbutt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was talking to a Pinoy pasar malam stall holder yesterday. He has become a Singapore citizen, while the rest of his family remain PR. As a native born on Filipino soil, he can always revoke Singapore citizenship and get back his Philippines citizenship. (No kidding, that was what he said, out of his own mouth.) So he is basically here to work and make money.

What value does the PAP government see in this type of opportunist, uncommitted citizen?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is right. They have a funny law. As a previous citizen if you had paid income tax at least once, you can reclaim your citizenship straightaway. The rest would have to go thru a longer route. China, India, Australia and few others can reclaim back only once.

Was talking to a Pinoy pasar malam stall holder yesterday. He has become a Singapore citizen, while the rest of his family remain PR. As a native born on Filipino soil, he can always revoke Singapore citizenship and get back his Philippines citizenship. (No kidding, that was what he said, out of his own mouth.) So he is basically here to work and make money.

What value does the PAP government see in this type of opportunist, uncommitted citizen?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

It is human nature to take full advantage of the opportunities that are presented to you while hedging your bets to keep as many options open as possible.

There is no way the PAP can tell who will leave and who will stay in the long run. All governments face the same problem.

I did exactly the same thing to the OZ government. They gave me citizenship and the state of WA gave me a nice big fat grant. Instead of staying on out of gratitude, I packed my bags and ended up in NZ.

In the meantime, I accumulate passports as a hobby.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many countries allow dual citizenship but to allow such large scale invasion by low quality foreigners at the expense of locals is unprecedented.
It is even more shocking when ministers openly defend foreigners and called locals (who stand up to fight for their rights) as a disgrace and bigots.
Even rats will fight back when cornered-have we reached that state.!

Last edited:

coldbutt

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no way the PAP can tell who will leave and who will stay in the long run. All governments face the same problem.

If this is a talented entrepreneur, I would say yes, take the risk of him leaving later and make him a citizen. But is Singapore that short of pasar malam stall holder that we need to import him and his family from Philippines?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
If this is a talented entrepreneur, I would say yes, take the risk of him leaving later and make him a citizen. But is Singapore that short of pasar malam stall holder that we need to import him and his family from Philippines?

When the first generation sinkies arrived from China, they were all coolies or small time traders.

From this motley crew emerged some of the pillars of Singapore society who defined the country eg Lien Ying Chow, Wee Kheng Chiang, CK Tang.

I'm sure that amongst this hodge podge assortment of new immigrants are the future giants of industry and technology who will take the country to new heights. That is why you should treat them all well. You never know what the future will bring.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is right. They have a funny law. As a previous citizen if you had paid income tax at least once, you can reclaim your citizenship straightaway. The rest would have to go thru a longer route. China, India, Australia and few others can reclaim back only once.
hahaha...again repeating untruths.....
really thick skinned retard.....
If you are Chinese citizen and give it up to become a sinkie, u cannot go back and becum Chinese citizen again as u like....what is this bullshit thing about reclaim back only once????

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hahaha...again repeating untruths.....
really thick skinned retard.....
If you are Chinese citizen and give it up to become a sinkie, u cannot go back and becum Chinese citizen again as u like....what is this bullshit thing about reclaim back only once????

You don't need to reclaim Chinese citizenship ...you can stay in China forever and travel with a Chinese passport if you have the residential card which in essence, you enjoy the privileges of Chinese citizenship without being one.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
You don't need to reclaim Chinese citizenship ...you can stay in China forever and travel with a Chinese passport if you have the residential card which in essence, you enjoy the privileges of Chinese citizenship without being one.
hahaha...the issue here that u can can reclaim once (becum a Chinese citizen again) after you renounce it...not whether you need it or not.

Question...how can you hold a Chinese passport if you are not Chinese citizen???

Last edited:

coldbutt

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sure that amongst this hodge podge assortment of new immigrants are the future giants of industry and technology who will take the country to new heights. That is why you should treat them all well. You never know what the future will bring.

Let's not generalise the issue and indulge in motherhood statement. The issue is simply whether this pasar malam stall holder selling malay food is talent enough to worth the risk or not. If you want kueh lapis approach for allocating social welfare, please be consistent and and apply it to allocating citizenship as well. Both are limited resources.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Let's not generalise the issue and indulge in motherhood statement. The issue is simply whether this pasar malam stall holder selling malay food is talent enough to worth the risk or not. If you want kueh lapis approach for allocating social welfare, please be consistent and and apply it to allocating citizenship as well. Both are limited resources.

He may be a pasar malam store holder but he may also have a degree which he can put to good use at a later date. You need to provide more detail.

My advice is not to look down on anyone just because of their vocation. People from humble backgrounds and vocations have been known to have gone on to do great things.

coldbutt

Alfrescian
Loyal
My advice is not to look down on anyone just because of their vocation. People from humble backgrounds and vocations have been known to have gone on to do great things.

I am afraid that you have missed the point. There are plenty of Singaporeans who can run pasar malam food stall. Why import one from Philippines? Shouldn't Singaporeans have priority at the opportunity in their own land, as in the early days of PAP Singapore, when the unemployed were granted hawker license. It is about job opportunity, not job snobbery, dude.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I am afraid that you have missed the point. There are plenty of Singaporeans who can run pasar malam food stall. Why import one from Philippines? Shouldn't Singaporeans have priority at the opportunity in their own land, as in the early days of PAP Singapore, when the unemployed were granted hawker license. It is about job opportunity, not job snobbery, dude.

People don't necessarily stick to what they were imported for. Even as far back as 1996, we used to hire Pinoys as supervisors in our factory because they were willing to work the night shift while Singaporeans shunned the odd hours.

Some of them went on to become citizens and they might well be running Pasar Malam stalls now because they can make more money. Manufacturing is dead anyway so they may not have a choice.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even as far back as 1996, we used to hire Pinoys as supervisors in our factory because they were willing to work the night shift while Singaporeans shunned the odd hours.

It's a big myth that foreigners can solve our problems because they are willing to take jobs Singaporeans shun. Many when they take up employment don't really work but laze around, siam if they can, make many mistakes, bochap, don't listen to instructions etc. That is why they aren't so picky - they weren't planning to bother or do their best in the first place, just take salary.

If a person doesn't plan to work hard, it doesn't matter how tough the job scope is since you won't be expanding energy.

It is true Singaporeans are picky but at least if they are willing to take up a job, they will be willing to perform to the best. Some surveys have been done to show that Singaporeans are one of the most hardworking globally.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
It's a big myth that foreigners can solve our problems because they are willing to take jobs Singaporeans shun. Many when they take up employment don't really work but laze around, siam if they can, make many mistakes, bochap, don't listen to instructions etc. That is why they aren't so picky - they weren't planning to bother or do their best in the first place, just take salary.

If a person doesn't plan to work hard, it doesn't matter how tough the job scope is since you won't be expanding energy.

It is true Singaporeans are picky but at least if they are willing to take up a job, they will be willing to perform to the best. Some surveys have been done to show that Singaporeans are one of the most hardworking globally.

Again a sweeping statement. In manufacturing, a supervisor can easily be measured by the shift output and the defect rate and the operator turnover. We had no problems with the Pinoys. They worked hard while everyone was sleeping.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Again a sweeping statement. In manufacturing, a supervisor can easily be measured by the shift output and the defect rate and the operator turnover. We had no problems with the Pinoys. They worked hard while everyone was sleeping.

No one is a better expert at sweeping statements than you and I am sure you would agree to a large extend that it helps in simplifying the necessary describing.

I can tell you that foreigners in the construction, cleaning and food industries aren't exactly enterprising but will be kept despite getting it 99% wrong because of low costs and unwillingness of local employees.

How did we have brand new buildings that leak water or tiles fall off in a matter of weeks after completion, our streets continue to look dirtier since we should have recruited many foreign cleaners by now, or maids being caught doing funny stuff instead of ironing clothes when owner returns home. Many cannot work under absence of supervision or nagging. Defeats the point when a more expensive executive is hired to put them under watch. If the supervisor is their fellow citizen, things move even less.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
No one is a better expert at sweeping statements than you and I am sure you would agree to a large extend that it helps in simplifying the necessary describing.

I can tell you that foreigners in the construction, cleaning and food industries aren't exactly enterprising but will be kept despite getting it 99% wrong because of low costs and unwillingness of local employees.

How did we have brand new buildings that leak water or tiles fall off in a matter of weeks after completion, our streets continue to look dirtier since we should have recruited many foreign cleaners by now, or maids being caught doing funny stuff instead of ironing clothes when owner returns home. Many cannot work under absence of supervision or nagging. Defeats the point when a more expensive executive is hired to put them under watch. If the supervisor is their fellow citizen, things move even less.

You are quite right about quality of work done by foreigners in the industries you mentioned, especially the construction industry. Food industry is worrying because food prep must be hygienic.

Great job countering Leongsam; I have added your points.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Everything you describe has happened when Sinkies were doing the dirty work. In the old days, the scapegoats were the Malays. When a job was not done properly, the Malays got the blame... too relac... too dumb.... not motivated... not ambitious etc.

Now that foreigners have arrived on the scene, they have taken over the role of whipping boy for all that goes wrong.

Are all the foreigners that arrive top notch? Of course not. There are duds in every society and every culture. However, amongst them are uncut gems. We only need a handful of winners amongst the new arrivals to make the whole exercise well worthwhile.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Isn't this what PAP wants, someone who will vote for them and not burden them when it comes to old age.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Excellence for Singapore. Too many FTs around means Sinkees are behaving like FTs. I was at Peoples Park to see whether any Pinoys left (no more), all I see are China comfort women with bad breath and bad manners like not giving way to the elderly.

Unfortunately, no one open road for me. I need LKY bodyguards to keep those FTs away and do me an excellent job of enjoying my stay in Singapore.

Addendum
My fan club member got angry -Thread:Pinoy Singapore Citizen uncommitted to Singapore?chow chinkie aussie failure stupid retard moron idiot totally deserve to get cheated by china mei mei

I just want to say that MBS is a nice place to stay. The Pinoy staff has been excellent because of my Aussie accent and Japanese wife. In addition, my angmo friend living at another hotel were very happy to receive VIP treatment. Excpt the wife was still overcoming the shock of Sinkee taxi driver and the close call on the roads on the way to their hotel.

I must say, Singapore things are pretty expensive these days. Angmo friend decided not to do shopping here because it is cheaper back in OZ.

We will be visiting Little Pinoy (Orchard Rd) soon, after our $7 cappacino at the Raffles. Singapore smells, so we may skip the MRT and just hop on go a taxi. Notice the Downtown Line line, may try that later. I swear the person serving me this morning is Burmese. Not pinoy. But they are quite hardworking but slow. Singapore services are slow because of "lack of staff". But with some tipping, the FTs do gave us priority over the locals.

Last edited: