• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ex-ST Editor pens open letter re ST's reporting

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am writing to convey my great disappointment over ST’s reporting of the online protests against the holding of the Philippines Independence Day celebrations.

In your first report, you said:
The Pilipino Independence Day Council Singapore (PIDCS), a group of Filipino volunteers, put up a post on Facebook about the event last weekend and drew fire almost immediately. Negative comments from Singaporeans flooded in, with Facebook page “Say ‘No’ to an overpopulated Singapore” urging locals to protest on the PIDCS page.
The page, which has 26,000 “likes”, is against the celebration of the Philippine Independence Day here and said that festivities should be confined to the Philippine Embassy compound.

This is inaccurate. The 26,000 “likes’’ are for the page itself, which was set up a few years ago and has a wide variety of posts including those not associated with foreigners. The post calling for the protest amounted to some 300-plus “likes’’.

This mis-reporting has caused consternation as it implied that 26,000 citizens or so support the protests – which is not true. For a subject that is potentially explosive, I believe it behoved ST to be extra vigilant in the accuracy of the information it publishes.

There was no correction nor clarification, which would be important for readers who read only your august newspaper. Nor was there an attempt to set the record straight in your next article on the protest organisers receiving threats. Or in subsequent articles and in your editorial.

In your Sunday Times article, Filipino group heartened by support, you chose again not to correct the misimpression. You quoted selectively from Acting Manpower Minister Tan Chuan Jin’s Facebook post, focusing only on his point that xenophobia should not be tolerated.

You ignored this point: “That there are xenophobes wasn’t the surprising part since there are these sad elements in any society. It was the reported 26,000 ‘likes’ for the page … that raised my brows. As it turned out, the reporting was inaccurate.”

Likewise, you quoted selectively from Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s Facebook page on this issue, neglecting to incorporate this line: “Fortunately, it was the work of a few trolls.’’

It would seem that ST has gone to great lengths to sweep its mistake under the carpet, an ignominious thing to do for a newspaper which prides itself on accuracy. For ST-only readers, the 26,000 figure is what will stick in their minds, tarring the online community as a bunch of rabid xenophobes. Foreigners who read ST only would also come away with the impression that Singapore is on the verging of losing its sanity over the immigration issue.

In her column on April 19, your writer Ms Chua Mui Hoong used the online protests as a launch pad to discuss whether such online views are representative of Singapore society at large. She too made no mention of ST’s mistake of exaggerating the protest numbers although she did say this: From all acounts, that anger seems to be an over-reaction from a segment of Singaporeans against a perfectly pleasant, legitimate event. Many others spoke up against such anti-foreigner sentiments.

She also said: Unlike blogs in English which delight in ripping off mainstream media’s reports, Chinese language bloggers used mainstream media reports as sources of information, not as fodder for criticism.

I would like to point out that this is precisely why ST should be careful with its news reports – because the mainstream media is used as a source of information. This means that when it is inaccurate, it must brace itself for criticism, acknowledge its failings and not dismiss the comments of those, whom as Ms Chua put it, “delight in ripping off’’ its reports.

Ms Chua concluded: So it’s never a good idea to generalise from a group of angry netizens to Singapore society at large.

I agree. And it would help if ST was more careful in its reporting and upfront about its mistakes instead of adding to the misperception.

http://berthahenson.wordpress.com/2014/04/21/open-letter-to-st-readers-editor/

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It would seem that ST has gone to great lengths to sweep its mistake under the carpet, an ignominious thing to do for a newspaper which prides itself on accuracy.

michael-jordan-lol.gif

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
the shit times is prone to making reporting mistakes and misquoting people. Their mistakes are hardly corrected and even if done so ....its done in some small corner of the page.

They misquoted me once on some issue and i was called up by my boss.

My subsequent calls to the reporter to ask why i was misquoted were ignored .....never returned my call....a 180 degree difference compared to when they were pestering me for the interview.

I still keep a clipping of the article so that i will always remember not to 100% trust what i read in the shit times.

wMulew

Alfrescian
Loyal
the shit times is prone to making reporting mistakes and misquoting people. Their mistakes are hardly corrected and even if done so ....its done in some small corner of the page.

Dumbfuck opposition supporting retard. When ST makes mistake they are man enough to apologize even if its in one corner of the papers. If TOC, TRE, TRS make mistake, they will quietly delete the page and pretend it never happened

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
not so....you are rude and just blindly saying things.... i have the cutting of the article to prove that the reporter misquoted me. I can name the reporter here but i wont. Its enough that my boss accepted my explanation and that i am aware that the shit times has unscrupulous reporters who misquote others and never bother to return calls in order that the issue can be clarified and rectified.

Dumbfuck opposition supporting retard. When ST makes mistake they are man enough to apologize even if its in one corner of the papers. If TOC, TRE, TRS make mistake, they will quietly delete the page and pretend it never happened

pegasus

Alfrescian
Loyal
No doubt ST has truly earned its well placed 150th ranking. However what truly amuses me is how this bertha , the one who ghost wrote the many books of LKY and pro establishment articles when she was in ST seems to be on her one women war path against the ST. Many of us are agst the ST simply because we know its just a well dressed up Shitty propoganda mouth piece. But this Bertha has devoted a whole article agst the ST on this just one mistake! She has also written many other articles picking on many ST faults. I think she cries foul too loud. is it cos she was passed over for the big job which was given to Warren who could carry balls better than her. Heard she was really pissed when WF was made the boss of ST . Is she trying to worm herself back by trying to show how screwed up WF is?? Notice her articles slowing becoming quite pro establishment. No matter what, I'm enjoying this very public barb or shd I say barn fight between
BH and WF. She is using her very public platform to show off the horrendous mistakes ST makes nearly on a daily basis.... but as they say hell knows no fury like a women's scorn LOL.. WF probably doesn't quite enjoy getting up in the morning as he once did!:biggrin:

Stompiss

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ah Lew, you are acting on your own again.... don't sabo us can???? Below is what you posted & my reply to you

Pure bullshit U don't need license from NEA to sell tissure

Ah Lew, why are you doing things without a license? against the law u know

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes on your astute observation. Notice nowhere is she expressing concern in support of Singaporeans. In fact she thinks its a small number.

Bertha was the first reporter that gained the trust of the old man. Prior to that under Peter Lim, it was frosty. Old man agreed on giving interviews on his family, allowed for family gathering photos to be published on the advice of Bertha.

She was then asked by SPH board to lead the digital strategy as print began to decline. Something called project eyeball or something like that. It then went pear shape. And she was slowly eased out. The Chua sisters also took over and became closer to the Political leader and she lost her influence. The elder Chua was taken into the civil service so now can retire gracefully for her services to the establishment. They dare not touch Zuraidah and Bertha was the one that was abandoned.

No doubt ST has truly earned its well placed 150th ranking. However what truly amuses me is how this bertha , the one who ghost wrote the many books of LKY and pro establishment articles when she was in ST seems to be on her one women war path against the ST. Many of us are agst the ST simply because we know its just a well dressed up Shitty propoganda mouth piece. But this Bertha has devoted a whole article agst the ST on this just one mistake! She has also written many other articles picking on many ST faults. I think she cries foul too loud. is it cos she was passed over for the big job which was given to Warren who could carry balls better than her. Heard she was really pissed when WF was made the boss of ST . Is she trying to worm herself back by trying to show how screwed up WF is?? Notice her articles slowing becoming quite pro establishment. No matter what, I'm enjoying this very public barb or shd I say barn fight between
BH and WF. She is using her very public platform to show off the horrendous mistakes ST makes nearly on a daily basis.... but as they say hell knows no fury like a women's scorn LOL.. WF probably doesn't quite enjoy getting up in the morning as he once did!:biggrin:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, they deserve each other alright. ST WF needs constant thumping as he is an idiot. BH should get rid of her emo baggage if she wants more traction.

Agree that she seemed to trivialise our protests to achieve her agenda.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Warren is a disappointment. He wrote a book where he expressed concern about things that impact the locals such as lift access to all floors to allow the disabled to be more mobile as his father was in the similar situation. Though more balanced, in the context of SPH's captive nature, he should have moved on. They must done the usual tactic of asking him to change the system within.

Note the background of these people like the Chua sisters. They all come from relatively poorer background and nowhere near the middle class. Thru the scholarship systems, the PAP becomes the foster parents and the rich uncle they never had. The ability to mould and shape them becomes easier. They don't have dignity markers like kids from the middle class and rich family. Note the scion of OCBC who was with SPH and who wrote what he felt and not what he was told. The same approach is also used in the Intelligence Service.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.......The post calling for the protest amounted to some 300-plus “likes’’.....
the mainstream media is used as a source of information.......

The 300 likes which Bertha tries to emphasise as a small number reflects her own bias- as many people expresses their opinions in other forums which she has not even bothered to find out.

When she says the mainstream media is used as a source of information-she conveniently left out the fact that fewer and fewer people reads the mainstream media nowadays esp the ST.
I have stopped buying the ST long ago (why pay for propaganda and controlled news) and almost everything I read is from the internet.
In fact sometimes I wonder if SPH is a media or property company!

Last edited:

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset

wow 70 over points in a flash....hahaha....kopisai so good hor :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
She is a moron. Look at the Title and Content. 26K people like it and there is only one purpose of the Facebook page - Overpopulation. It can mean only one thing. Nobody is going to re-register their likes every time a topic that relevant jumps up.

The 300 likes which Bertha tries to emphasise as a small number reflects her own bias- as many people expresses their opinions in other forums which she has not even bothered to find out.
Since when has the mainstream media being used as a source of information-esp the ST.
I have stopped buying the ST long ago and almost everything I read is from the internet.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

They misquoted me once on some issue and i was called up by my boss.

My subsequent calls to the reporter to ask why i was misquoted were ignored .....never returned my call....a 180 degree difference compared to when they were pestering me for the interview.

I still keep a clipping of the article so that i will always remember not to 100% trust what i read in the shit times.

Mistake my foot.
These are deliberate (mis)management to perpetuate the official line.
Bertha Henson is also playing the game because there is no real evidence that such "mistakes" are deliberate.
You know, I know, everyone knows.
Everyone just act blur.