• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Level of savings/emergency funds in the event of unemployment/retrenchments in Spore

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Read about the article of the 38 years old Singaporean being very worried for his and children future. In this day and age, being retrenched and replace is very real. And being hauled into HR to be given the pink slip is on everyone's mind.

In terms of the number of months every family should strive to work towards depends one their expenditure. However, my thoughts is the minimum of 6 to 9 months is a good figure to begin with. Household income if 8k. Should aim for 50k minimum. Of course, can go for 100k would be better.

Frankly sometimes unemployment can stretch longer than a year.
We are not talking about financial independence here. While I try not to generalise, my thought is a fair number of hdb dwellers, fall into the middle and upper income.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Re: Level of savings/emergency funds in the event of unemployment/retrenchments in Sp

The amount all depends upon the level of debt.

12 months is a good for someone who is debt free.

24 months is appropriate if more than a third of his take home pay was being used to service loans.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Level of savings/emergency funds in the event of unemployment/retrenchments in Sp

It's going to be tough to go for 24 months if a person uses 1/3 or more of his pay to service loans,. If car loans is inclusive, it will probably be a hand to mouth situation. I will be surprise if they can stash away 12 months .

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

It's going to be tough to go for 24 months if a person uses 1/3 or more of his pay to service loans,. If car loans is inclusive, it will probably be a hand to mouth situation. I will be surprise if they can stash away 12 months .

Being unemployed is tough because you don't know how long it's going to last. Any figure you can conjure up is nothing more than a guideline.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am not sure if the answer lies in savings. Savings is the last resort.

A better approach is not to be placed in a position where you are impacted by unemployment. Make sure your skill set, qualification and drive and the organisation that you are in provides you with a sustainable future. It is not that hard. A bit of regular due diligence will give you an indication if the future of the company and your continued employment are still in the cards.

Too many people struggle with inertia and hope for the best until it too late. If you are good, you can keep a head and good companies will look for you. You can concentrate on acquiring assets rather than cash savings which yield very little.

The really smart ones do not play in their own neighbourhood pond - their extend their reach further than Singapore. The world becomes their Oyster.

14 years ago I told a story of a doctor who had a special need child. He gave up his profession to take a job in pharmaceutical sales in order to qualify for OZ. At that time, doctors had minus 25 in the emigration point system. 2 years later he qualified and the family is in OZ.

Special needs kids qualify to have a individual teaching asst sitting in the class helping. They develop rapidly compared to Singapore. OZ has a welfare safety net and they look after their disabled which is no where compared to Singapore.

The point is this - get out if you can. Life is meant to be enjoyed. You can't do that in Singapore.

When his own grandson struggled in Singapore with Mandarin, he sent him to Singapore American School. Then his sent the other one there as well, He broke the very rules that he set for the country. He did it for his family. You have to do the same.

Last edited:

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal

Better dun stay unemployed for too long because you will ended up retired prematurely.

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am big nose, "what do think", in your reply don't said fuck you sir ok.

Read about the article of the 38 years old Singaporean being very worried for his and children future. In this day and age, being retrenched and replace is very real. And being hauled into HR to be given the pink slip is on everyone's mind.

In terms of the number of months every family should strive to work towards depends one their expenditure. However, my thoughts is the minimum of 6 to 9 months is a good figure to begin with. Household income if 8k. Should aim for 50k minimum. Of course, can go for 100k would be better.

Frankly sometimes unemployment can stretch longer than a year.
We are not talking about financial independence here. While I try not to generalise, my thought is a fair number of hdb dwellers, fall into the middle and upper income.

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal

Only numbskull faces retrenchment problem, they are plenty of jobs available in the market-- janitor, security guard, construction worker, dishes washer, taxi driver.....you can earn $3,000 to $7,000/-. 90 yo man still got work why you guy now scare of losing work, tell me why?

Being unemployed is tough because you don't know how long it's going to last. Any figure you can conjure up is nothing more than a guideline.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I am not sure if the answer lies in savings. Savings is the last resort.

A better approach is not to be placed in a position where you are impacted by unemployment. Make sure your skill set, qualification and drive and the organisation that you are in provides you with a sustainable future. It is not that hard. A bit of regular due diligence will give you an indication if the future of the company and your continued employment are still in the cards.

Too many people struggle with inertia and hope for the best until it too late. If you are good, you can keep a head and good companies will look for you. You can concentrate on acquiring assets rather than cash savings which yield very little.

The really smart ones do not play in their own neighbourhood pond - their extend their reach further than Singapore. The world becomes their Oyster.

14 years ago I told a story of a doctor who had a special need child. He gave up his profession to take a job in pharmaceutical sales in order to qualify for OZ. At that time, doctors had minus 25 in the emigration point system. 2 years later he qualified and the family is in OZ.

Special needs kids qualify to have a individual teaching asst sitting in the class helping. They develop rapidly compared to Singapore. OZ has a welfare safety net and they look after their disabled which is no where compared to Singapore.

The point is this - get out if you can. Life is meant to be enjoyed. You can't do that in Singapore.

When his own grandson struggled in Singapore with Mandarin, he sent him to Singapore American School. Then his sent the other one there as well, He broke the very rules that he set for the country. He did it for his family. You have to do the same.

Inertia and hope is something majority of working people has to contend with. Inertia, well, by the time it hits you it's too late. As for hope, it's probably the it's not me syndrome.

When you mentioned acquiring of assets, do you mean investment? Properties, stocks etc?