• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

FAP Traitor PM Asks: How’d you feel if UK netizens spam SG Day website?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]PM: How’d you feel if UK netizens spam SG Day website?[/h]
dmca_protected_sml_120n.png
PostDateIcon.png
April 19th, 2014 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Editorial

lhl2013-300x186.jpg
PM Lee Hsien Loong

PM
Lee posted a Facebook message at 11:15am today (19 Apr) saying that he was appalled to read about netizens “harassing” the organisers of the Philippine Independence Day celebrations.

“They are a disgrace to Singapore,” he said.

He added that fortunately, it appeared to be the work of a “few trolls”.

He said, “We must treat people in Singapore the way we ourselves expect to be treated overseas. Many Singaporeans live overseas, and are warmly welcomed in their adopted homes.”

He then talked about the recent Singapore Day celebration in London.

PM Lee asked, “How would we have felt if British netizens had spammed our website, and abused Singaporeans living in Britain?”

“We must show that we are generous of spirit and welcome visitors into our midst, even as we manage the foreign population here. Otherwise we will lower our standing in the eyes of the world, and have every reason to be ashamed of ourselves,” he said.

PM Lee’s Facebook posting [Link]:

Capture23-586x480.jpg

Although some of the comments on the Facebook page [Link] of the organiser, Pilipino Independence Day Council Singapore (PIDCS), are offensive, insulting and degrading, there are also level-headed comments which questioned the legitimacy of organizing the National Day celebration of a foreign country publicly in Singapore. One of the comments even came from a former opposition member, Goh Meng Seng:
Ewan De La Pena: I wonder why my fellow Singaporeans are so dumb dumb to equate Singapore day to independence day. Singapore day does not takes place on 9th Aug. And if u google independence day aka national day singapore london and high comm, u will noticed that our national day celebrations took place in our high comm all around the world including london which took place in pvt land that the high comm are on. Not public area or places.
National day is to reflect the sovereignty of one’s independence day. if that’s the case, don’t be surprised if chinese china wana held their national day in our chinatown or anywhere here. Soon other foreigners will be demanding the same too. Other foreigners hold their special day at their embassy or hire spaces like in suntec to hold the event. Uniquely Singapore. Not in public.

Goh Meng Seng SingaporeanFirst: Happy National Day to Philippines but i must remind you of Singapore Law. It IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE for you to organize or mobilize people for a POLITICAL gathering, especially for foreigners in Singapore, as you will be committing illegal gathering.

Goh Meng Seng SingaporeanFirst: Well, you can still try to organize your independence day celebration at Orchard road because according to this article, the lawyer says as long as you can get ALL the relevant licenses from Singapore Government, you will be able to do it.

I am encouraging you to organize this event now because I want to see whether you can get all these necessary licenses from Singapore government or not. But that is not all. Even if you managed to get all these licenses (should include public entertainment licenses), you will have to pay RENT for the venue, set up crowd control mechanism and most probably required to employ Cisco police to do the crowd control. All the best to you if you try.
Senkapoh Guy: The moment u display a foreign flag on Singapore soil u have committed an offence already.

Jonathan Teo: I think the organizers better take heed that there are many haters who will look for trouble. Make sure all regulations are followed. While I do not like the tone of Senkapoh Guy, it looks like he may unfortunately be right: you cannot display a foreign flag in public in Singapore, with very few exceptions. E.g., unless you expressly apply for an exemption.
It’s unclear how PM Lee defines “spam”. It’s not known if he also considers these Singaporean netizens who questioned the organizing of Philippine Independence Day celebration in public, “harassers” or “spammers” too.

Blogger Ng Kok Lim argued his case well when he rebutted 2 ST Forum letter writers accusing Singaporeans of being xenophobic when they oppose the public celebration of the Philippines’ Independence in Orchard Road (‘N-Day celebrates a nation’s sovereignty‘):
Mr Law claims that xenophobia has reared its ugly head when Singaporeans condemn the public celebration of the Philippines’ Independence. It is Mr Law who is mistaken; there is nothing xenophobic about the protection of Singapore’s sovereignty which is the sacred right and duty of every Singaporean including Mr Law. To absolve oneself of such duty and to denigrate it as being xenophobic is to display the utmost disrespect and betrayal to our nation and to Singaporeans.

We have a law that forbids flags of other nations from being flown in Singapore except in Embassies and the like. The reason is simple, the flag symbolizes sovereignty and the right to raise the flags of other nations symbolizes the sovereignty of other nations which correspondingly reduces the sovereignty of our own nation.

The celebration of Independence Day cannot be anything but the celebration of a nation’s sovereignty. So the public celebration of a nation’s independence is the public celebration of a nation’s sovereignty which is like the flying of a nation’s flag in public. Unless Ngee Ann City has suddenly become the Philippines Embassy, allowing the public celebration of the Philippines National Day at Ngee Ann City is akin to recognizing Philippines sovereignty on Singapore soil. That would be the utmost betrayal to our nation.

The fact that we live in a cosmopolitan city doesn’t make us less of a country and doesn’t mean we should be accommodating to the point of giving up our sovereignty. Good ties with the Philippines cannot be founded upon us giving up our sovereignty to them.

Overseas Singaporeans are at liberty to celebrate National Day in private or at the Singapore Embassy but not in public. The Singapore Day is clearly not the Singapore National Day and its significance is nowhere near. Its purpose is to simply engage overseas Singaporeans and throughout its seven years of being held, was never held on National Day.

While we expect to be welcomed in other countries, we don’t expect to impose Singaporean sovereignty in other countries.
Some of the PAP government supporters have also called Singaporeans “bigots” just because they do not agree with letting the Filipinos celebrate their independence Day in public or they mention that the influx of foreign workers into Singapore has taken away jobs or depressed salaries.
With regard to such a “bigot” label, a TRE reader highlighted this piece of UK’s news (‘Ed Miliband: being worried about foreign workers in Britain is not racist‘).

It’s interesting to note that Ed Miliband, the leader of UK’s Labour Party which was voted out of the government in the last UK election, now admitted that his Labour Party got it wrong on immigration and said that being worried about the arrival of foreign workers in Britain is not racist. He said:
“Worrying about immigration, talking about immigration, thinking about immigration, does not make them bigots. Not in any way. They are anxious about the future.”

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is it not bigotry when the government puts the interest of foreigners ahead of sinkees?

The PAP government pays lip service on helping sinkees ...the actions show otherwise. When foreigners (Pinoy in Seagate, Ah Neh from banks) insult sinkees on social media, despite the publicity in the press, NO minister said anything. Why?
Here the PM and minister are so quick to defend the Pinoys.

Sajitariasu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it not bigotry when the government puts the interest of foreigners ahead of sinkees?

The PAP government pays lip service on helping sinkees ...the actions show otherwise. When foreigners (Pinoy in Seagate, Ah Neh from banks) insult sinkees on social media, despite the publicity in the press, NO minister said anything. Why?
Here the PM and minister are so quick to defend the Pinoys.
As usual, nothing has changed so far for us and the only way is vote them out.

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, if I am a Sinkie living in UK and if the natives spam my country's website, then justifiably I would get the subtle message that perhaps my kind is not too welcome there, and then perhaps I would I would locate my ass anywhere but there.

I would get the message!