• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Any advantage to have Msian bank account/chequebook compared to TT money?

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

Hope the experienced members here can kindly advise:

I understand some of you (non-Malaysians) opened a Malaysian bank account with chequebook and use it to make progressive payments for your Malaysian properties.

But is there any advantage compared to TT your money over to Malaysia?

I opened an account last year thinking that it would be useful for payment purposes. Later, I realized TT the money over gets the job done easily also. Moreover, Malaysia banks now charge for every cheque issued.

One thing I feel very significant is that, throughout the past few years, the Malaysian Ringgit has become gradually weaker. So just when I thought the Ringgit I deposited was at a good exchange rate back then, I am actually losing money now due to the weaker currency. (The bank interest earned may not cover the loss from currency exchange.)

Thanks in advance for your advice!

kawan2sgmy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I opened a/c with one of their local banks:
savings - tenant bank in cheque
current - for cheque issuance - pay maintenance charges, and all other misc fees/charges
internet banking - transfer money, place fd, pay Tenaga bills, etc
TT from Sg - only when necessary esp big amts
For convenience, need to have all the above

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
oh i see! thanks for sharing.

This makes sense cos you are already renting and need to make small payments.

I think I opened a current a/c with cheque too early. thinking of whether to close it now as losing money actually.