• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SDP claims credit for WP Punggol East win

GoMadSeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why the PAP lost so badly in the Punggol East by-election

By Dr Wong Wee Nam
28 January 2013

dr-wong2.jpg

The results of the Punggol East by-election surprised everyone. People expected a very close fight. No one expected PAP, by its own standards, to be thrashed by such a wide margin. Even the professional forecasters who make a living offering odds thought that the PAP was going to win by 1000 votes.

What then went wrong?

When Michael Palmer resigned his seat, the Prime Minister saw no urgency to call for a by-election. He said that there were some national issues to be settled first. On hindsight, perhaps he should have stuck to this initial intention. Unfortunately he did not.

When the Singapore Democratic Party announced its intention to contest the by-election and made known the seriousness of this intention by going on walkabouts and house-to-house visits in impressive style, the PAP changed its mind.

With the SDP’s participation, the PAP probably thought that a 3-cornered fight would kill the opposition’s challenge and hand the PAP an easy victory. Thus, almost immediately after the SDP’s announcement, the by-election was called.

On paper, this is a great strategy — surprise the enemy, fight a battle quickly and attack when the enemy is not ready and in a state of disunity. Do not allow them time to cooperate. Sun Zi, author of The Art of War, would have been very proud of the PAP if not for some miscalculations.

The first miscalculation was to think that the opposition parties were not ready. Within 24 hours of the announcement of the by-election, the SDP, with the efficiency of an SAF recall, had already mobilized its members and supporters and started knocking on the doors. By the time it announced its pull-out, in the interest of opposition unity, it had covered almost the whole of Punggol East and saturated the voters with opposition messages.

Though the SDP did not contest in the end, it had contributed a lot to the opposition vote by giving the residents one round of opposition views. By pulling out, it had also allowed the Workers’ Party to go on an essentially one-to-one fight with the PAP. This was the PAP’s second miscalculation.

When the WP started their campaign, the ground was already softened by the SDP’s early start and by the time it finished their round of house-to-house visits, each household would have received 3 rounds of opposition calls to vote for the opposition (including the campaigns by SDA and Reform Party). With such a massive opposition call to an unhappy electorate, there is only one way the result would go. Though each party did their own thing, they collectively managed to unite the opposition supporters into one voice to send a clear message to let the government know of their unhappiness.

Fighting a war is not just a matter of surprise, speed and disarray in your opponents. It is also about having an experienced general who can lead his men into battle. It is also about the morale and preparedness of your generals and foot soldiers. In spite of the PAP’s reputation for efficiency and a well-oiled machinery, it failed on these counts.

In the past, when the PAP eyes a potential candidate, the least it would do is to let the person understudy a more seasoned MP. This did not seem to be so in the case of Dr Koh Poh Koon. He seemed unprepared and was not keen to contest when he was first asked. Having joined the PAP for only a month, there was definitely inadequate time to prepare him for any election, let alone a snap by-election.

As it turned out, his inexperience showed up glaringly. Some of the bloopers he made would not have been made by a more seasoned campaigner and that probably caused him votes. Imagine telling voters about his alleged abject poverty and then telling them not to give sympathy votes.

It is hard to think that a child of his era, when Singapore was prospering and the PAP was promising the Swiss Standard of Living, would have such deprivation as lack of chopsticks and food. It could happen only with great income disparity and without the policy of a minimum wage. Isn’t it then more logical for a person who has experienced such childhood poverty to join a party like the SDP instead of the PAP?

After all the talk about his humble background, Dr Koh then made a slip of his tongue and said that everybody in Singapore drives a car. Voters must be wondering if the potential office holder is out of touch with reality with such elitist thinking.

The PAP has the practice of parachuting well-qualified people as candidates for elections. In the past things worked out well because these people were sent in way before an election. This gave the person ample time to get to know the grassroots members and to bond with them. In this way, any misgiving of any member towards the candidate initially could be ironed out with time.

In Dr Koh’s case, he had only two weeks. This is too short a time to adjust to supporters who are still mourning the departure of their previous MP. Any newly-appointed football manager knows he needs time before he can get his team to fight for him and achieve peak performance. Thus, without the fire, it is not possible for soldiers to fight a good battle.

The PAP had called for a snap by-election because it wanted to catch the opposition parties off-guard. The parties would not have time to prepare and would fight amongst themselves. Instead, as it turned out, it was the PAP itself that needed more time.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whenever a seat is taken away from the PAP, anyone from the non-PAP camp (opposition + activists) will cheer, but how they perceive that victory will be different. Dr Wong, being from the SDP, would naturally tie this victory back to the SDP.

I disagree on the following accounts:

1) A lot of things can be said about SDP being first to hit Punggol East. In reality, RP also hit the ground on the same day. The reason WP did not was because it was unlawful to campaign when the by-election is announced. On one hand, WP can be accused of being their usual risk-fearing self that some people do not like. On the other hand, you can also raise eyebrows by the fact that neither SDP nor RP were charged for doing so (would it be different if it was WP?). To sum it up, there is no way WP with its resources cannot beat SDP in being first to hit the ground.

2) SDP should know that it alone cannot decide if PAP and WP will go on a one-on-one fight because other opposition parties exist. As it turned out, it was not a one-on-one but a 4-corner fight.

3) How much SDP's early start contributed to WP's win is doubtful because there are many more critical factors including the PAP's mistakes, failed broken promises on Punggol 21. WP also contested Punggol East just 2 years earlier and gained familiarity there. And if the SDP wants to be thanked for every small mercies, it cannot at the same time absolve itself of the media antics that could have tarnished the opposition's reputation. Someone claimed that if not for the SDP, WP would have won more than 60% of the votes.

4) SDP cannot claim credit for softening the ground for another opposition party if this was not their objective in the first place. It's like throwing a stone at another person to injure him but when gold was found inside the stone he claims he owns it.

5) If SDP was really the hero of WP's win, well-known SDP supporters would be the first to acknowledge this fact. In this case, Dr Wong appears to be the exception. Well known SDP sympathizers and bloggers such as Alex Au, Andrew Loh, Rachel Zeng, TOC and TRS came out with articles to slam SDP and again for pulling out. There has never been one episode I remember that any party was publicity slammed by their own strongest supporters over one incident.

Overall, too many loopholes in the credit giving arguments.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure if people had forgotten what actually transpired that led to SDP's last minute withdrawal. And it was no different to their previous campaigns where their own CEC was in turmoil over the direction that a few wanted to take. In this case, CSJ and Jufrie. They finally stood alone and their 2 possible candidates VW and PT had expressed their desire that it was wrong. Jufrie's letter diplomacy ended with a massive blow-back and the ridiculous suggestion of WP running the council and they sitting in parliament made them an immediate laugh stock.

There was no way Singaporeans was going to leave these guys get away with this after what happened in the 2011 PE where the margin was 0.35% and caused a great deal of resentment.

Interestingly It was Wong Wee Nam that made a fool of himself by first endorsing Tan Kin Lian and then doing a U-turn and then claiming that he knew all 3 candidates personally and trying to hog the limelight.

At the end of the day it came down to Lee Li Lian vs the PAP doctor. If Lee Li Lian and WP had not stood and VW did, I am not sure if the opposition would have won. I suspect that KJ and the other clown might have got more votes and watering down VW's votes and PAP would still have the ground. The older Singaporeans would also recall what happened in Bukit Gombak and I am sure they still would not have forgiven Chee for the bitter takeover of a decent party that he did not create.

My sense is that Dr Wong again is seeking publicity. And this has nothing to do with SDP. SDP finally made the right decision and it was to save their hide from further humiliation. Just look at KJ's results. We are talking about Harbans SIngh's kind of numbers.

What the By Elections however proved after PE2011, is that voters are more matured in handling 3 cornered fights which the PAP had previously relied on. Credible opposition political parties now need not worry too much about 3 cornered fights and they can handle pre nomination horse trading with confidence.

Last edited:

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the SDP to stay out was indeed admirable. It takes maturity to see that going in would have caused the deflated PAP to win by lesser than 1000 votes. SDP was wise not to participate. For this we have to thank them.

I think VW would have beaten the arse doctor all the same if it were SDP vs PAP.

Last edited:

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
My sense is that Dr Wong again is seeking publicity. And this has nothing to do with SDP. SDP finally made the right decision and it was to save their hide from further humiliation

No. It the official line of SDP.
The party kicked off our campaign at the Punggol East constituency in preparation for the by-election. Observers commented that it was the SDP's announcement that prompted the PAP to call for the by-election because it anticipated a three-corner fight. The SDP eventually withdrew from the contest to prevent a split in opposition votes and allowing the PAP to retain the constituency.

http://yoursdp.org/news/2013-12-27-5757

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not so sure if in a straight fight with PAP, VW can. I will be honest here and tell you that we Asians value loyalty and handwork. Educational qualifications and past positions in an organisation is not so valued in comparison with loyalty and hard work. Li Lian had been there for a long time and contested the seat in the general elections. VW was dropped in for the by elections. SDP does not have the wide appeal as it did under Chiam. Again the issue of loyalty - people cannot forget what they did to Chiam.

For the SDP to stay out was indeed admirable. It takes maturity to see that going in would have caused the deflated PAP to win by lesser than 1000 votes. SDP was wise not to participate. For this we have to thank them.

I think VW would have beaten the arse doctor all the same if it were SDP vs PAP.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I'm not sure if SDP will share your opinion and be thankful if WP wants to contest Sembawang GRC in 2016.

That's besides the point because PE will never be a straight fight. WP won't give away simply because any party in their shoes will not. Ask SDP to give up Bukit Panjang and see the reaction.

So if there is at least a 3-corner fight, the question becomes whether SDP can keep their deposit. How much more superior SDP brand name is to SDA or RP is unknown but these 2 parties dispatched their secretary generals and VW was not a secretary general.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP does not have the wide appeal as it did under Chiam. Again the issue of loyalty - people cannot forget what they did to Chiam.

Chiam cannot be bigger than the party. SDP past performance after he left was not due to his leaving, but more bcos of PAP propaganda. Disinformation or misinformation and whatever shits from the devious PAP did more harm than Chiam's leaving.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not sure if SDP will share your opinion and be thankful if WP wants to contest Sembawang GRC in 2016.

I look forward to a three cornered fight in Sembawang GRC. I dun think the WP would be foolish to do that. I and many staying in Sembawang GRC will vote SDP anytime!

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
So if there is at least a 3-corner fight, the question becomes whether SDP can keep their deposit. How much more superior SDP brand name is to SDA or RP is unknown but these 2 parties dispatched their secretary generals and VW was not a secretary general.

My bet is on the SDP to keep their deposit. See my earlier post.

How much more superior SDP brand name is to SDA or RP? Very much more. SDA and RP people I spoke to, acknowledged the SDP name is very much more respected than theirs!

With a wish-washy WP, the SDP brand can only get better.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not so sure if in a straight fight with PAP, VW can. I will be honest here and tell you that we Asians value loyalty and handwork. Educational qualifications and past positions in an organisation is not so valued in comparison with loyalty and hard work. Li Lian had been there for a long time and contested the seat in the general elections. VW was dropped in for the by elections. SDP does not have the wide appeal as it did under Chiam. Again the issue of loyalty - people cannot forget what they did to Chiam.
hahaha...scroobal....showing your slimy side again....
you posted before nomination day and ranked VW much higher than Lee LL.....
now you tell another cock and bull story and sneer at VW....truly pathetic.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It had nothing to do with PAP. It was a move from ex-WP members who wanted control over another party and those did not like Chiam's form of control. Chee became their figurehead and their face and paid the price.

A simpler and less damaging way was to form another party. But they got greedy because they had 3 seats. A poor strategy and a bad gamble.

After all Chiam and his wife started from scratch form the back of their Volkwagen. This is why we Asians respond in this manner.

Chiam cannot be bigger than the party. SDP past performance after he left was not due to his leaving, but more bcos of PAP propaganda. Disinformation or misinformation and whatever shits from the devious PAP did more harm than Chiam's leaving.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scroobal, you are out of steps. You dun seem to be able to follow the flow.

Who didn't know Chiam started the SDP? This is not the point.
And do not agree with you about we Asians...

Please start from the beginning of my posts again.

After all Chiam and his wife started from scratch form the back of their Volkwagen. This is why we Asians respond in this manner.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I look forward to a three cornered fight in Sembawang GRC. I dun think the WP would be foolish to do that. I and many staying in Sembawang GRC will vote SDP anytime!

My bet is on the SDP to keep their deposit. See my earlier post.

With a wish-washy WP, the SDP brand can only get better.

I remember before and during the BE, KJ of RP said the same things to an extent. That RP will not only survive a 4 corner but win, that most people in PE told him they will vote RP (don't ask me how he managed to hear all 30,000+ voices) that RP was unmistakably the best because it carried the weight of the undisputed politician of all time who was his father JBJ, etc.

What's more bizarre is, after the BE he still believes this and today still believes he is the overall biggest winner in the BE.

The results will speak for itself.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
KJ lost his credibility just before the GE. The results proved it. By the time of the BE, he was well and truly written. Note the attendance at his rallies.

I remember before and during the BE, KJ of RP said the same things to an extent. That RP will not only survive a 4 corner but win, that most people in PE told him they will vote RP (don't ask me how he managed to hear all 30,000+ voices) that RP was unmistakably the best because it carried the weight of the undisputed politician of all time who was his father JBJ, etc.

What's more bizarre is, after the BE he still believes this and today still believes he is the overall biggest winner in the BE.

The results will speak for itself.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree and I can see many people cannot differentiate between what are results and what is a personal opinion.
hahaha.......well said......
papee has won all the GEs held so far......results proved it....
yet we have retards who always want to have the cake and eat it......

KJ lost...results proved it...
papee won.....blame the 60%.....

Last edited:

PAPIB

Alfrescian
Loyal

All Opposition Parties got smeared by PAP, not just SDP. But it seems only WP can withstand PAP smearing. The PAP smearing of WP at GE2011 Aljunied GRC and BE2012 Hougang were very very bad. WP had qualities to take the heat which SDP lacks. SDP need to do better to close the gap.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What about the way RP 'imploded' just b4 the 2011 'erection'? Says alot about the capabilities of KJ...
KJ lost his credibility just before the GE. The results proved it. By the time of the BE, he was well and truly written. Note the attendance at his rallies.

PoliticalDialogue

Alfrescian
Loyal
It had nothing to do with PAP. It was a move from ex-WP members who wanted control over another party and those did not like Chiam's form of control. Chee became their figurehead and their face and paid the price.

A simpler and less damaging way was to form another party. But they got greedy because they had 3 seats. A poor strategy and a bad gamble.

I agree very much with the highlighted part. Regrettably, this is the typical S'porean gambler's mindset which tends to be repeated again and again and again.