• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkieland trying hard to accommodate foreigners

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hundreds join Indian New Year festivities
Singapore | Updated today at 01:12 AM
By Pearl Lee

1311vjH.jpg

MORE than 700 people joined in celebrations for Indian New Year last night, which this year had the theme of weddings.

Children acted as married couples as different Indian communities displayed how ceremonies are conducted in their cultures. Those who turned up to soak in the festive atmosphere took photographs with the little brides and grooms, who were clad in traditional wedding attire of groups such as the Malayalees, Sindhis and Sikhs.

The crowds also enjoyed song and dance routines at the Little India event which passed without incident. Security had been ramped up in the wake of last December's riot. Education Minister and guest of honour Heng Swee Keat said the annual celebration, now in its fifth year, brings together the various Indian communities.

He said it has "paved the way for greater cooperation, understanding, and sharing", adding: "In difficult times, it will be precisely this common space, these feelings of (having) shared important moments together that will keep us as one.

"Just as you have come together spontaneously to celebrate the commonalities within the diversity of our Indian community, I hope that our Singapore 50 celebrations (next year) will be a similar celebration of all that our diverse communities cherish in common about Singapore."

Organised by the Little India Shopkeepers and Heritage Association, each year's event has a different theme. Among the crowd was 27-year-old construction worker and Indian national, Mr Ponnusamy. He said: "It is hard for me to go back home during the Indian New Year, so I just come here and see my friends and enjoy the shows. It is good enough."

[email protected]

Last edited: