• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The full circle - the Lee Family Story

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Both husband and wife on their return from England joined the law firm of Laycock & Ong. The wife was in the same room as a British lawyer of the firm and both did conveyancing. Each morning she would turn up for work and he would greet her as she walked past him to her desk. There was no reply. In the course of the day he would make small talk out of politeness and the response from her was monosyllabic. He came to the conclusion that she was anti-British (anti-foreigners). To drive the foreigners out was the general local sentiment as they were treated as 2nd class citizens. It was the right reaction and the message had to be sent.

The above came out during an interview carried out by an Associate Professor from NUS doing project work in relation to the early development of Singapore's legal system and the various personalities that formed the Bar then. The lawyer in question is Kenneth Hilborne who founded Hilborne & Co and retired in 1980.

So why did the future Prime Minister's wife and present Prime Minister mother behaved in such an uncouth manner. Mind you she was raised from an elite family and educated in Cambridge. So it was not about feeding herself and living a good life. It was then 1951.

63 years later, the Prime Minister's cabinet colleague CJ Tan and MOM minister writes of Singaporeans being bigots. Are we now 2nd class in our country again? Do our children have an uncertain future? Why would we react in this manner to foreigners?

The Prime Minister's mother who was highly educated, from a wealthy family behaved in no less a manner that what we Singaporeans are doing. Did we behave like this 10 years ago? I am certain we did not. So what changed?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did we have SPGs back then? I would think the local ladies back then got more pride then to aspire to be fucked by Angmos.
I am not from that era but grew up near hylam street where I used to see the SS chaps fighting angmo sailors in bugis street.
At least even if we did kowtow then to foreigners it was only to the white Brits who owned the island then.....now must spread legs for yappy pinoys, uncouth tiongs and smelly ah nehs too?

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
you missed the part of turning coat to b a translator for the japanese occupiers. seems like CJ tan like to be drapped with in red white bule and yellow flags from tagalog land

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Both husband and wife on their return from England joined the law firm of Laycock & Ong. The wife was in the same room as a British lawyer of the firm and both did conveyancing. Each morning she would turn up for work and he would greet her as she walked past him to her desk. There was no reply. In the course of the day he would make small talk out of politeness and the response from her was monosyllabic. He came to the conclusion that she was anti-British (anti-foreigners). To drive the foreigners out was the general local sentiment as they were treated as 2nd class citizens. It was the right reaction and the message had to be sent.

The above came out during an interview carried out by an Associate Professor from NUS doing project work in relation to the early development of Singapore's legal system and the various personalities that formed the Bar then. The lawyer in question is Kenneth Hilborne who founded Hilborne & Co and retired in 1980.

So why did the future Prime Minister's wife and present Prime Minister mother behaved in such an uncouth manner. Mind you she was raised from an elite family and educated in Cambridge. So it was not about feeding herself and living a good life. It was then 1951.

63 years later, the Prime Minister's cabinet colleague CJ Tan and MOM minister writes of Singaporeans being bigots. Are we now 2nd class in our country again? Do our children have an uncertain future? Why would we react in this manner to foreigners?

The Prime Minister's mother who was highly educated, from a wealthy family behaved in no less a manner that what we Singaporeans are doing. Did we behave like this 10 years ago? I am certain we did not. So what changed?

Its too bad Kenneth Hilborne didn't whip out his tuakee ang mor lancheow in front of Gecko. She might have been pursuaded to turn into an angmor cock worshipping SPG slut like those commonly found today. ............and leave Old Goat, hence possibly saving SIngapore from an eternity of oppression.

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once upon a time in the 1950s, it is called nationalism if you are anti-establishment, anti-British, anti-colonialism, etc. Today, when sinkies are expressing discontent against PRs, FTsh and foreigners, they are not regarded as being nationalistic but are called bigots, morons, disgraceful, etc. Surely, sinkie land will go down hill without nationalism, patriotism, allegiance of the sinkies.

Which Govt in the world condemns its own citizens for being nationalistic? Putin is right to show the world what nationalism is.

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We need to welcome the British colonial masters back again so sinkies understand what 2nd class means.

We Sinkies are not even second class now... stop your astroturfing. :rolleyes:

Bring on the Poms. Sure you'll have a few dicks such as Anton Casey, but you'll also have lots of nice people.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was told by elders that SPGs ruled supreme when the British were around. Blatant, provocative dressing and loud. There was a big British bases in Sembawang and Alexandra. Many married and went to the UK. This was one factor that probably got the locals.

Did we have SPGs back then? I would think the local ladies back then got more pride then to aspire to be fucked by Angmos.
I am not from that era but grew up near hylam street where I used to see the SS chaps fighting angmo sailors in bugis street.
At least even if we did kowtow then to foreigners it was only to the white Brits who owned the island then.....now must spread legs for yappy pinoys, uncouth tiongs and smelly ah nehs too?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
More info about the id of the NUS AP and the seminal work title?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe the interview transcript can be found in the National Library. Type "Hilborne" in the search function. I think it was in done in 2005. Don't know if you can take an extract.

ps. when I was told I could not believe she did that until I read what Hilborne said.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=2]Legal tenor : voices from Singapore's legal history 1930-1959 / curated by Eleanor Wong.[/h][h=3]Wong, Eleanor, 1962-, curator. Singapore Academy of Law, publisher.[/h]