• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Get used to it: The rich do get richer

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The French economist and author Thomas Piketty spoke in Washington on Tuesday about his unlikely bestseller, Capital in the 21st Century, a 696-page tome on global economic history. Even though he boiled down his research on economic inequality from data going back hundreds of years, his conclusions were very topical in today's United States.

Piketty's main argument is that historically, human societies have always tended toward inequality. The long-term return on capital has always been greater than the return on labor—sometimes by a very large margin. As a result, wealth will increasingly concentrate in the hands of fewer and fewer people over time.

The old saying that "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer" has a strong basis in economic history, according to Piketty.

The increasing levels of inequality around the globe in the last few decades, he argues, are not remarkable in a historical perspective, but represent a return to historical norms. What was remarkable was the period between the mid 1930s and the early 1970s, when economic inequality plummeted and remained at historically low levels for several decades.

In a forum sponsored by the Economic Policy Institute, Piketty was asked what the continued rise in inequality means for a society, and some of his answers echoed themes common in today's economic debates in Washington.

His biggest concern, he said, is that increased concentration of wealth is "leading to the corruption of our political system." When a small minority of citizens holds an overwhelmingly large share of a nation's wealth, "Political institutions are captured," he said.

As an example, he used pre-World War I Europe, where the top 10 percent of earners took home nearly half of all national income, and governments operated largely on behalf of moneyed interests. He also noted that the level of income inequality in the U.S. is now even greater than it was in pre-war Europe.

Piketty conceded that the United States has been largely different from Europe and most other developed countries when it comes to economic mobility, but much of that difference was due to economic growth driven by population growth. From the French Revolution in 1789 to the present day, the population of France grew by a factor of two, from 30 million to 60 million. Over the same time period, the population of the United States grew by a factor of 100, from 3 million to over 300 million.

Piketty's point about population growth is one that appears to have been largely forgotten in the current debate over reforming the country's immigration laws. Strong population growth driven by immigration has been one of the engines of long-term economic growth and widespread prosperity in the U.S., but is now seen by a large portion of the voting public as something to be sharply limited rather than encouraged.

Piketty also drew an interesting distinction between the rise of inequality in the U.S. and in Europe. He said that in Europe, the trend appears to be toward a reversion to wealth- and inheritance-based inequality. In the U.S. both continue to play a role, but there is also an extremely high level of income inequality, driven largely by executive compensation packages, not present in Europe.

Nobel Prize-winning economist Robert Solow, who was part of a panel discussing the book, agreed with Piketty that there is an extreme income gap in the U.S. However, he suggested that in many respects, executive compensation in the form of stock options and other grants actually behaves very much like income derived from capital rather than compensation for labor.

Piketty's work is longer on history than it is on practical solutions. But in his talk Tuesday, he offered one suggestion: changing the way we tax accumulated wealth.

What he proposes is not to increase the overall amount of taxes collected on capital, driving the rate of return down to the overall rate of economic growth. "That would be a stupid thing to do," he said. However, he does support more progressive taxation of capital—in effect, a wealth tax—that would make it easier for people with less wealth to accumulate it, while reducing the ability of people with significant accumulated wealth to broaden the gap between themselves and the rest of society. Piketty also supports increasing the marginal tax rates on high earners.

Is it fair, he argued, that a person with a $450,000 mortgage on a $500,000 home pays the same property taxes as a person who owns a $500,000 house outright? Clearly, they do not have the same amount of equity in their home, but the tax rate makes it more difficult for the new purchaser to acquire a home (mortgage payments plus tax payments) than it does for the owner to keep it (tax payments alone.)

Add to that the fact that the person who owns the home outright may well have inherited it, and it does appear that the system may be stacked in favor of those who already possess wealth and against those who want to begin accumulating it.

—By Rob Garver of The Fiscal Times

BrokenGao

Alfrescian
Loyal
The rich has the muscle and edge to game on in everything, that is why the poor are always the at the losing end.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree there's inequality everywhere in the world but in Singapore its way too easy for those in power to abuse those who are not.

Only Australia has equality.

And I agree labor and hard work has piss poor returns on investment.that's why
Most sinkies remain piss poor their entire lives cause they only know how to chase salaries and work for others rather than doing business or entrepreneurship like their hong kies and cheena counterparts.

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I like society to have rich people because that means in this society, I will find it easier to get business and people are willing to pay me more. I welcome the rich anytime.

But I also want the govt to help the poor. If the income gap has become too wide, it means the govt is not redistributing society's resources but instead allowing the rich to hoard everything for themselves. So therefore whilst I may like society to have rich people, I will also fuck the govt for not caring for the poor.

The rich must be taxed because their wealth is gotten from society's labour and infrastructure. If the govt refuses to tax the rich, the govt must be fucked hard.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I agree there's inequality everywhere in the world but in Singapore its way too easy for those in power to abuse those who are not.

Only Australia has equality.

And I agree labor and hard work has piss poor returns on investment.that's why
Most sinkies remain piss poor their entire lives cause they only know how to chase salaries and work for others rather than doing business or entrepreneurship like their hong kies and cheena counterparts.

No developed country in the world has equality.

In any case, it is inequity rather than inequality that is the real problem. The human being is by nature unequal and deserves unequal rewards.

However inequity, which happens when some people are being paid less for good work whilst others are being paid more for lousy work, is the product of crony capitalism and government pandering to big business - it is therefore artificial, unjust, economically unsound.

In Singapore we have both inequality and inequity is huge abundance. For the inequity side - just look at the legions of hawkers toiling day and night to produce good fare for us whiilst their establishment-linked landlord sit back and take a fat portion out of their income - forcing many out of business as the years go by!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Many?

Wtf are you talking about? Wtf is your proof? Pulling sweeping statements out of your arse again har?

Here's 20 for a start and these have reached BILLIONAIRE status

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/t...g-2010-12#george-joseph-net-worth-1-billion-1

Here's some celebrities who started off poor

http://www.investopedia.com/financi...wer-celebrities-who-started-with-nothing.aspx

Here's the stats

from-poor-to-rich--how-much-sweat-it-takes-from-zero-to-billionaire_517a0acb89c6b.png

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many of the rich started off poor so your statement holds no water.

I agree it's too easy for people to get rich nowadays with mass globalization and economies of scale.I remember watching a ang moh mafia movie about gambling....the guy said "he made a million back in the 1970s....back when a million meant something". Back in the 1970s if u made a million on ur own u were a somebody.nowadays with the internet and so many jiak Liao bees MPs and politicians and civil servants and cronies what's a farking million dollars?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
That's generalization. Totally false.

73 out of 100 are self made and that to me is proof that you don't need to come from a privileged environment in order to succeed.

If you have stats to the contrary, please present them.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal

True to a certain extent.

Today, you buy a leasehold HDB at Toa Payoh for $600-650psf because you have only $700K.
If your quantum is larger, eg. $2.5m, you can get FH or 999 cluster landed for $600-650psf too.
My father used to tell me, 穷人吃贵米 The poor eats expensive rice.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very encouraging infographics.

There's also 3 billion people on planet earth living below poverty less than $2 a day.let me ask u from a mathematical standpoint,statistically which do u have a higher probability.being a self made man or being one of those living in poverty or winning the Toto next Friday?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
There's also 3 billion people on planet earth living below poverty less than $2 a day.let me ask u from a mathematical standpoint,statistically which do u have a higher probability.being a self made man or being one of those living in poverty or winning the Toto next Friday?

If the rich were stripped of their wealth there'd still be 3 billion or more living in poverty so you can't blame the rich for the predicament of the dregs of society.