• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Who here believes the inflation rate is only 1.5-2.5%

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) on Monday lowered its headline inflation outlook to 1.5-2.5 per cent for 2014 due to decreased cost pressures from accommodation and private road transport.

SINGAPORE: The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) on Monday lowered its headline inflation outlook to 1.5-2.5 per cent for 2014 due to decreased cost pressures from accommodation and private road transport.

But the central bank also said it is keeping its policy of allowing a modest and gradual appreciation of the Singapore dollar.

This is because core inflation - which excludes accommodation and car prices - is still a key concern.

"Amid the large supply of newly-completed housing units, imputed rentals on owner-occupied accommodation are now expected to stabilise in 2014," the central bank said in its half-yearly monetary policy statement.

"MAS is revising the forecast for CPI-All Items inflation in 2014 from 2-3 per cent to 1.5-2.5 per cent, mainly reflecting this weaker outlook for imputed rentals over the rest of the year," it added.

Singapore's headline (CPI-All Items) inflation averaged 2.4 per cent for the whole of 2013, down from 4.6 per cent in 2012.

The central bank also said car prices should add negligibly to inflation for the whole of 2014, although there could be upward pressure in coming months due to the low base a year ago when COE premiums fell.

But while MAS sounded benign on car prices and accommodation, it warned that domestic cost pressures, especially those stemming from a tight labour market, will remain the key driver of inflation.

"Firms are expected to continue to pass on accumulated costs, which could lead to broad-based price increases across the economy," it said.

Accordingly, MAS core inflation is expected to average 2-3 per cent in 2014, up from 1.7 per cent in 2013.

Core inflation is seen as a better gauge of domestic cost pressures as it excludes volatile components like accommodation and car prices which are driven by administrative measures.

Vishnu Varathan, senior economist at Mizuho Bank, said: "The first-order concern for the MAS is that these increased wage pressures will pass through and percolate much wider in the economy, resulting in heightened inflation expectations.

"So that's not just going to impact competitiveness today, but because it could lead to prices spiralling up, that would actually damage -- even to some extent -- permanently, the competitiveness of Singapore."

With Monday’s announcement, MAS has kept its monetary policy unchanged for two years since April 2012, suggesting that inflation risks still outweigh growth concerns.

The growth outlook is fairly benign with the recovery in the G3 economies of the US, Europe, and Japan expected to offset a slower Chinese economy and softer domestic demand in the ASEAN economies.

"Now we know that the global economy is actually picking up quite robustly, particularly coming from the recovery of the economies in the G3,” said Francis Tan, economist at United Overseas Bank.

"That's going to support the overseas export demand for our local manufacturers, so the slight increase in the strength of the Singapore dollar may not be too detrimental for their export prices and export demand."

The central bank also said it stands ready to curb excessive volatility in the Singapore dollar's nominal effective exchange rate.

Looking ahead, economists say this volatility could arise from the impending end of the US quantitative easing programme, and the impact from rising US interest rates.

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
with Subtitles.. 谢谢:o

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BjHtfDljoq4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
chcraise.jpg

They believe.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am a believer, maybe my Arithmetics is not so good, my inflation should be 1.5-2.5%, for example:

1. My "chai png" , individually packed dishes of 2 meats cost $5.00, 2 vegetables cost $4.00 = $9.00, now cost me $11.00 that is a 22% increase. At the coffee shop I drink mostly Ice water in 1 glass that used to cost 0.30 cents, now it cost me, 0.50 cents, a 66% increase. Everything else in the food stalls have increased by 50 cents to a dollar, average. They cite increased in rentals ( renovation, upgrading etc), labour cost have risen, ingredient costs, transportation costs...it is all UP, UP & AWAY...

I believer that inflation is 1.5-2.5%.....I failed my Arithmetics in Primary school.... heh heh heh

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
MAS calculation is really puzzling!!

Coffee O now at $1.00 used to be 70 -80ts increase 20-30%
So called economy rice $2.20 now $3.50-$3.70 the phrase economy should permanently removed!!
Increase $1.30 to $1.50 = 59%

NTUC Meiji 2L milk some time ago $3.95 now hovering $5.45 !! 2.5% increase??? must be a JOKE!

Generally food price has increased tremendously, now $2.50 becomes cheap (Bird call) normal $3.50 to $5.00!!

The worst are Indian and Malay food they are getting very expensive!!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MAS calculation is really puzzling!!

Coffee O now at $1.00 used to be 70 -80ts increase 20-30%
So called economy rice $2.20 now $3.50-$3.70 the phrase economy should permanently removed!!
Increase $1.30 to $1.50 = 59%

NTUC Meiji 2L milk some time ago $3.95 now hovering $5.45 !! 2.5% increase??? must be a JOKE!

Generally food price has increased tremendously, now $2.50 becomes cheap (Bird call) normal $3.50 to $5.00!!

The worst are Indian and Malay food they are getting very expensive!!

But Bay Kian Seow ate Mamak nasi for $2.50 plus one Bandung drink & Big Nose Teo, now longer after he said that chicken lice for $1.50...what do you think? it is 1.5-2.5%...our arithmetic is horrible...they study Mathematics ...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
In 2012, the article say the inflation was 4.6%, but they give you 2.5% on your CPF. SO, our CPF that year lose more than 2%. Song boh?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
But Bay Kian Seow ate Mamak nasi for $2.50 plus one Bandung drink & Big Nose Teo, now longer after he said that chicken lice for $1.50...what do you think? it is 1.5-2.5%...our arithmetic is horrible...they study Mathematics ...:rolleyes:

Maybe got typo. They mean to say its 1.5-2.5% per month.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Every year the PAP gov't claims a low inflation rate:rolleyes:
How do you become the worlds most expensive city if inflation is really that low:confused:

Hahahaha, you don't know Uniquely SIngapore meh? It turns out there is one inflation rate for angmo expats, which is the real rate and very high. Than, there is another rate for local sheeps who are told a bunch of lies. One country, 2 Inflation rates. Perfectly PAP.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Of course I believe, I'm PAP IB die die I also believe. In fact I think it's bloody deflation what inflation you talking about? Chey!

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
oi, lookin for u, thought u mia...

Songkrang la bro. Lots of water to splash. Having lots of fun. Didn't you see mt post in Thai thread? I'm having lots of fun with girls in white tight t-shirts. Think I kenna flu now.

cherrybarsongkran-1.jpg

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hahahaha, you don't know Uniquely SIngapore meh? It turns out there is one inflation rate for angmo expats, which is the real rate and very high. Than, there is another rate for local sheeps who are told a bunch of lies. One country, 2 Inflation rates. Perfectly PAP.

I'm beginning to believe that Spore is a myth. :eek:

All the statistics by the PAP are manufactured & doctored. They try to hide to hide the sad truth.
Just look at the current haze problem with the PSI reading in the 70's they simply keep quiet & have stopped displaying their incorrect data on TV because people were questioning their practice of showing fake data.

They try to white wash the problems in Spore. Floods are described as pondings. MRT breakdowns are described as trains delayed. They hid the foreign population numbers until it became too obvious.

All this massaging of the truth might have worked in the past. However nowadays their half truths have become blatant lies. There is so much spining that I wouldn't be surprised if the PAP themselves actually believe in these myths.