• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Blur Jo Teo: Vouchers more than cover GST that the poor pay

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"The GST voucher is part of a progressive system of taxes and benefits that ensures that lower income households get back far more benefits that the taxes they pay, including GST...the GST that they pay is hence far more than offset by the benefits they receive." -

Senior Minister of State for Finance, Josephine Teo

What do you think?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I think she is absolutely right. The poor receive far too much help nowadays. When I was young the poor received zilch.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think she is absolutely right. The poor receive far too much help nowadays. When I was young the poor received zilch.

We are not talking about any comparison here. We are talking about the stupidity of her statement.
Since the govt is so statistically minded (like stats for $8 heart operations, $800 salary can own HDB flat, and $10,000 HDB flat in Sembawang) all she has to do is to just show us the stats - otherwise, it is just another big load of bovine expulsion from a vase.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what she say is true i guess,after all the poor earn jackshyt in singapore.

u cant really pay alot of taxes when ur a $800 a month cleaner.

not like $15k MPs can afford to buy alot of kate spade and $10 XO sauce carrot cake.

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"The GST voucher is part of a progressive system of taxes and benefits that ensures that lower income households get back far more benefits that the taxes they pay, including GST...the GST that they pay is hence far more than offset by the benefits they receive."

If that's such a bad deal for the govt, it should reduce the GST rate and stop giving the benefits. We can't have emptying govt coffers, you know. :rolleyes:

xwIcKkC.gif

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you was young the mata wear short.
$400 GST rebate ie $400 Dvd by 7% = $5,714 a year. Yes, for the poor they can't afford to spend $476 a month on foods, but the elites can spend 60K to have fun in the kitchen. LKY is right, there is no equality in this world but why our slogans still stressed equality, no one will left behind, anyone can be minister even cronies have to fight for it.....you better wake up!

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let said poor family household income of $40k/year family of 4person.
GST is 7%.
So 7% of $40k = $2800 paid GST.
So does gov rebate $2800 for that family/year?????

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
$40k for a family of 4 is not a poor family. By both Singapore and US standards $40k puts them in the 30th-40th percentile of households. Tough and tight, but not poor.

Let said poor family household income of $40k/year family of 4person.
GST is 7%.
So 7% of $40k = $2800 paid GST.
So does gov rebate $2800 for that family/year?????

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what she say is true i guess,after all the poor earn jackshyt in singapore.

u cant really pay alot of taxes when ur a $800 a month cleaner.

not like $15k MPs can afford to buy alot of kate spade and $10 XO sauce carrot cake.

Of course, do not forget the Abalone too...plus "hairy" ones & the "mangoes" too!!...ha ha ha ha

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Try not too bluff too much....there were "hock lee bor" also known as Social Welfare in the past & for many years...many of the poor would prefer to have a "backbone"....they would try not to approach Social Welfare..resulting in many..receiving zilch!!

Nothing comes for free...you think the poor doesn't know that...it is the rich & the try to be one, wants things for FREE!!