• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lim Hng Kiang - How blur Singaporeans can be?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was quite surprised to learn that people have little idea about Lim Hng Kiang. Honestly how can you live in a country and not know what a long standing has been doing or not doing. He is arguably one of the worst performing ministers since we became independent for the second time. He is closest to the PM and the family.

He was removed as Minister of Health in Aug 2003 within a week of SARs ending as he struggled to handle the crisis and others had to step in.

Just see what how he handled the NKF matter when it was raised by a number of MPs in Parliament. He had no clue and he fully endorsed it. He was not even aware that his Ministry Deputy Secretary refused to sit on the NKF's oversight committee as NKF refused to cooperate. Read his answer carefully. Everything turned out to be untrue. Including that 80% of donations went to beneficiaries when in fact less than 10% actually went to beneficiaries. 15 months later the whole thing blew up spectacularly.

So how come a cabinet minister can furnish complete bullshit in Parliament to his PAP colleagues and an NMP with total confidence and still remain a cabinet minister 10 years later. And this is the guy that we found in Singapore to be Deputy Chairman of MAS and Board Director of GIC - 2 of the 3 investment bodies of this country. The same guy who thought that 80% were going to beneficiaries when less than 10% was - a gap of 70%.

"Mr Charles Chong (Pasir Ris-Punggol): Sir, could the Minister tell us whether the National Kidney Foundation is in full compliance with all the current guidelines that he mentioned just now in the collection and utilisation of the funds that it receives from the public?

Mr Lim Hng Kiang: Mr Speaker, Sir, the NKF is in full compliance with the regulations."

"Mr Lim Hng Kiang:Mr Deputy Speaker, Sir, we have gone through this debate a couple of times, once in the Committee of Supply and, also, this afternoon during the Questions for Oral Answer. In responding to the Member, I would just like to clarify a few points.

First, on the press release put up by NKF. I am not aware of the details. I think they put up the press release and explained the differences between 52% and 56% go to the beneficiaries. I recall also that they indicated in the press release that about 26% goes to the reserves. So, actually, if you add up the two numbers, nearly 80% goes to the beneficiaries. I think that puts NKF on quite a sound record. The vast bulk of the money goes to the beneficiaries, both immediately as well as in the reserves.

Secondly, on the operation cost of running a dialysis centre. From my experience in the Ministry of Health, I can tell you that running a dialysis centre is very, very expensive. The NKF looks after more than 2,500 patients and the average cost is more than $25,000 or $30,000 per patient. That is the reason why the NKF requires a budget of $50 million to $60 million. These are not small sums to run the centres.

As I mentioned this afternoon, when NKF takes on a patient, it is committed to the patient for life. I have met patients, both locally and overseas, who have been on dialysis for more than 20 years. The medical record of NKF is extremely good, better than world standards. So, the patients that go to NKF are actually treated to very high medical standards and therefore they live much longer. That is the reason why they need more funds. And there is nothing wrong in putting these funds in the reserves because they are committed to the patients for their lifetime.

On the point about cost and salaries of CEOs, this is a decision by NKF whether to disclose the salaries of the CEOs. Here, I have some sympathy for their dilemma. If they do not disclose, then there will be critics who say they are not transparent. If they disclose, there will also be critics who will say that whatever they pay are too high. So I think they are caught between a rock and a hard place. I think it is their decision not to disclose."

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WTF! He delivered a pack of lies in parliament and yet the govt did nothing to censure him.

All GCT did was a few spanks on his wife and diverted all attentions away from LHK to the peanut.

spanking_Photo.jpg

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Wife's surname is Lee. Related to Familee? If so, than can explain his teflon and bulletproof skin. Similar to Wong Cunt Stink.

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
The escalation of HDB prices occured during the time when LHK was the MND minister. Many people later put the blame of high HDB flats on MBT but think the foundation of the so called asset enhancement initiative (as developed by the spin doctors) was laid by LHK in the late 1990s ...

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem is deeper and wider than one minister who has outlived his usefulness, assuming he ever was useful. It really goes down to how the PAP, and by default Singapore, chooses leaders. There is an entire supply chain for selecting, training, deploying and superannuating leaders. This is supposed to serve the nation but it is now serving itself. How does one change that ?

Last edited:

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow! Someone so smart use photoshop to replace GCT face on the mama body, smoothing the butt instead of spanking.

WTF! He delivered a pack of lies in parliament and yet the govt did nothing to censure him.

All GCT did was a few spanks on his wife and diverted all attentions away from LHK to the peanut.

spanking_Photo.jpg

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lim Hng Kiang was also quite the asshole in real life. Very horrible (arrogant) to work with.

Teo Chee Hean, on the other hand, was calm and rational. Good guy to work with.

-- As told to me by a friend who had to make a project presentation to them.

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
I didnt really follow the political aspect of SARS back then. Who headed the inter-ministerial committee to fight against SARS? And who replaced LHK as Health minister?

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lim Hng Khiang was a high-flying SAF scholar whose good luck was to be army buddies with Lee Hsien Loong. Of course LHL roped him into politics and he became Minister of National Development in 1995.

LHK was Second Minister of Finance, the Deputy Chairman of MAS and a board member of GIC. He was earmarked by LHL to take over the second most important minister post after the Prime Minister position: the Minister of Finance.

However LHK's luck turned. In 1996 the Lee family members bought Nassim Jade condos as a discount. The developer Hotel Properties did not sought and obtain the required shareholders' approval for a listed company before selling the units to "related parties". Someone complained to Ministry of National Development.

LHK could not act so he referred the matter to the Monetary Authority of Singapore which oversees the Stock Exchange of Singapore which oversees listed companies. The SES had to investigate and it potentially became a big political scandal and embarrassment.

The old man hauled up LHK and essentially told LHK that "you are a very brave man to pursue this matter."

That was the end of LHK's political career.

LHK was shunted to a lesser position Minister of Health. Again bad luck struck, in the form of SARS. He is not a doctor and his arrogant way of managing the medical professionals during the SARS crisis pissed off the medical fraternity and also exposed his inexperience and lack of knowledge of the health care industry.

Normally, someone with his experience (MAS, GIC, Finance, National Development, Health) would be highly sought after in the private sector. Even if he does not know his stuff, he still has connections. But the private sector was wary of hiring him because of a few factors: his poor people-management and him falling foul of the famiLee, so his ability to open doors are now questionable.

Since he cannot find a job in the private sector, and since LHL brought him into politics, LHL had a responsibility to look after him. So LHL gave LHK an iron-rice bowl cho-boh-land job in the Prime Minister's Office.

He would have remained there in the PMO's office if not for a stroke of good luck. George Yeo lost the elections and his minister's job. LHK was given the Minister of Trade and Industry because, despite his shortcomings, he was still one of the more qualified persons in LHL's talent-short cabinet.

So the story of LHK is one of good luck and bad luck.

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting. Thanks Littlereddot. Says a lot about us when someone with a degree in engineering is earmarked for Minister of Finance.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LHK is one of the few ex saf scholars in cabinet who could not even get his paper general star.
This is big fail and speaks volume of his 'abilities'.
Only Zorro shit say did worse than LHK....RODed as major (LHK was LTC rank)

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you got the personalities mixed up.

LHK took the role in Finance and MAS long after Nassim Jade affair had blown over. The complaint was lodged by influential shareholders of HPL to the then Finance Minister, Richard Hu and SES who did not move fast enough. It was Koh Beng Seng from MAS that referred the matter to GCT who launched a parliamentary inquiry.

LHK were in the same OCS batch as GY and TCH.

LHK was moved to PMO within a month of SARS episode came to an end.

Lim Hng Khiang was a high-flying SAF scholar whose good luck was to be army buddies with Lee Hsien Loong. Of course LHL roped him into politics and he became Minister of National Development in 1995.

LHK was Second Minister of Finance, the Deputy Chairman of MAS and a board member of GIC. He was earmarked by LHL to take over the second most important minister post after the Prime Minister position: the Minister of Finance.

However LHK's luck turned. In 1996 the Lee family members bought Nassim Jade condos as a discount. The developer Hotel Properties did not sought and obtain the required shareholders' approval for a listed company before selling the units to "related parties". Someone complained to Ministry of National Development.

He would have remained there in the PMO's office if not for a stroke of good luck. George Yeo lost the elections and his minister's job. LHK was given the Minister of Trade and Industry because, despite his shortcomings, he was still one of the more qualified persons in LHL's talent-short cabinet.

So the story of LHK is one of good luck and bad luck.

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
What was the result of the inquiry? Did the Lees donate the discounts to charity or something? I vaguely remembered something like that. Were they censured too?

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nepotism has been going on everywhere.
Sillypore which old fart claimed to be "white and clean" is not exceptional.
For so many years such practice has been sweeping more dusts under the carpet and hiding more skeletons in the closet.
Until one day when the ruling party gets less than 50% of the votes, only then we will know exactly what's going on with tax payers $$$.