• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Another one conned by MINDEF

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Medical officers said Ganesh would be taken care of during NS: Dad

Lee Jian Xuan
The Straits Times
Monday, Apr 14, 2014

SINGAPORE - The father of Private Ganesh Pillay Magindren said he had been assured by medical officers that his son would be taken care of during national service.

That is why he did not ask for the 23-year-old to be exempted from serving.

Art director Renganathan Magindren told The Straits Times that his son was diagnosed as "stable" by the Defence Ministry's doctors, who also said there was a support system to take care of Pte Ganesh.

His son's supervising officer at the 24th Battalion Singapore Artillery, Captain Jessie Goh, also seemed like a "caring, obliging person", added the 54-year-old.

The two would at times text each other about how Pte Ganesh was doing, explained Mr Magindren, saying he also wanted his son to do his national duty.

"Of course I was worried about Ganesh, but I also thought it would be easier for him to find a job in the future if he has an NS certificate."

His son had seemed fine throughout his Basic Military Training and his time at the unit. So it came as a shock that Pte Ganesh decided to take his own life last July.

He was a well-behaved and ambitious boy, said Mr Magindren, who has two younger children.

He recalled how his son took an interest in drawing at a young age, and went on to study digital animation at ITE MacPherson. Pte Ganesh wanted to further his education at a polytechnic, but did not qualify.

"He was so talented, and I saw great potential in him," said Mr Magindren, who tried appealing to each polytechnic here.

The rejection came as a huge blow for Pte Ganesh, who had plans to enter university and study art.

"That was when he became withdrawn and depressed. He felt like everyone rejected him," said Mr Magindren.

Pte Ganesh eventually got a place at the LaSalle College of the Arts where he earned a diploma in animation art. But he did not get along with his peers, who were mostly international students.

It was just before his graduation that he was diagnosed with schizophrenia, at the age of 20. His psychiatrist, Dr Paul Ngui, had expressed hope of recovery as the ailment had been detected early, Mr Magindren said.

But now with Pte Ganesh's sudden passing, his family is "all broken up" and grieving. Mr Magindren, who is seeing a psychiatrist now, said he has been getting support from his sister and church.

"I still cry sometimes when I think of him, but I have to take care of my family, especially my younger son who will enlist soon. I will protect him."

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nothing to say that his son wouldn't try the same stunt if he got into the poly or when he starts working, as it's just or even more stressful - albeit at different levels.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://news.asiaone.com/news/singap...said-ganesh-would-be-taken-care-during-ns-dad

I love it when they put a list of counselling hotlines at the end of every article which describes a suicide or some perceived mental health problem.

Helplines
Samaritans of Singapore: 1800-221-4444
Singapore Association for Mental Health: 1800-283-7019
Institute of Mental Health's Mobile Crisis Service: 6389-2222
Care Corner Counselling Centre (Mandarin): 1800-353-5800

Condescending little fucks, those so-called 'journalists' in SPH truly are.

150th rank in press freedom, horrible site layout with many mini portals, atrocious webpage design (look at the 'printer-friendly' pages), silly visual aids for news articles.

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
from boy to man, what wrong? like my case: I was a obedience boy before NS during NS my cpl performed tiger in a tiger show at geylang, go Bars and lost my virginity to M'sia factory girl in JB.

how can anyone believe Mindef or the pap?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
from boy to man, what wrong? like my case: I was a obedience boy before NS during NS my cpl performed tiger in a tiger show at geylang, go Bars and lost my virginity to M'sia factory girl in JB.

Cool story, but the PAP and its presstitutes cannot be trusted. Neither can Mindef and the SAF be trusted.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Our world class MINDEF must surely be able to identify the genuine cases from the frauds. Would it hurt our security if these people are exempted from NS? It's CBL anyways.

When Joseph Schooling was deferred, it made headlines. Big deal? They should be flexible long time ago. The training these sportsmen goes thru is much tougher and more meaningful. They represent the country. They arent idling. If researchers can have privileges, surely sportsmen deserves better. What is the result of that research?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Our world class MINDEF must surely be able to identify the genuine cases from the frauds. Would it hurt our security if these people are exempted from NS? It's CBL anyways.

NS has nothing to do with national security or defence. NS is big business for numerous GLCs and contractors. NS boys are cheap exploited labour.

Mindef would not even spare conscientious objectors such as Jehovah's Witnesses, that's all you need to know.

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
MINDEF so welfare! I don't even get a single cut on me during my NS days. So safe.

During Battle Innoculation Course briefing my corporals bullshit me I will be hearing bullets flying pass me.

NB! Not even a sound of bullet weeze by me! All bullshits! So Senang Training only Guniangs can take it! LOL!

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NSF suicide: Lapses more widespread than thought

nsfillness-main_0.jpg

SINGAPORE - A Coroner's Inquiry into a full-time national serviceman's suicide last July found that his army unit had lapses in managing his schizophrenia.

Presenting his findings on Tuesday, State Coroner Imran Abdul Hamid said that its medical centre was supposed to maintain a psychiatric register of all its soldiers.

But a year after Private Ganesh Pillay Magindren's death, such a register is still not being maintained, he said.

Pte Ganesh, 23, was found dead at the foot of his Sengkang condominium last July and Mr Imran found that he had killed himself by jumping from height.

The coroner highlighted how such lapses in handling mentally ill NSFs may be more widespread than thought.

On Wednesday, The New Paper obtained a copy of his written judgment in which he raised several concerns.

PROTOCOL NOT FOLLOWED

According to an army directive, camps are supposed to keep a medical register of NSFs with psychiatric illnesses.

But Khatib Camp, where Pte Ganesh was posted, did not, said the coroner.

The unit's medical officer at the time, Dr Mogilan Mohan, had claimed that his seniors and the psychiatrist in the SAF told him there was no instruction to maintain the register, Mr Imran added.

The coroner said on Tuesday that he had asked the counsel for the Ministry of Defence, Ms Asanthi, whether the directive has been adhered to since then.

Noting that Ms Asanthi had replied in the negative, he said: "There is still no compliance 'on the ground' despite what had happened. This was a classic case of non-compliance."

LACK OF INFORMATION

Mr Imran was also critical of the way information about Pte Ganesh's schizophrenia was managed.

Unit commanders who are in charge of NSFs with psychiatric problems needed to be informed by a letter from the Personnel Management Centre (PMC).

But Pte Ganesh's unit did not receive any letter from the PMC about his condition until a day before his death in last July. He had been posted to the unit in November 2012.

An earlier letter from his private psychiatrist, Dr Paul Ngui, was given to the Medical Classification Centre at the Central Manpower Base in January last year.

The letter, a copy of which was obtained by The New Paper, contained details about his schizophrenia, but it had not been handed over to his unit either.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So, who will be held accountable?

The Minister should tell sinkees who in MINDEF will be held accountable for this unnecessary loss of life, besides the bitchy S1.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Look at the tai-chi performed ...guess, the S1 is going to get away with this after all. And those responsible in MINDEF will be off the hook. Where is the accountability?

According to an army directive, camps are supposed to keep a medical register of NSFs with psychiatric illnesses.
But Khatib Camp, where Pte Ganesh was posted, did not, said the coroner.
The unit's medical officer at the time, Dr Mogilan Mohan, had claimed that his seniors and the psychiatrist in the SAF told him there was no instruction to maintain the register, Mr Imran added.

Unit commanders who are in charge of NSFs with psychiatric problems needed to be informed by a letter from the Personnel Management Centre (PMC).
But Pte Ganesh's unit did not receive any letter from the PMC about his condition until a day before his death in last July.

An earlier letter from his private psychiatrist, Dr Paul Ngui, was given to the Medical Classification Centre at the Central Manpower Base in January last year.
The letter, a copy of which was obtained by The New Paper, contained details about his schizophrenia, but it had not been handed over to his unit either.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Then head of CPC-MPC, LTC Koh Tong Seng

Attachments

• 401372_10151563179231063_1434340271_n.jpg
    401372_10151563179231063_1434340271_n.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 982
Last edited: