• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Too many FTs now mobile network overloaded and failing

driedmermaid

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/singtel-seeks-tackle-mobile-network-congestion

SingTel seeks to tackle mobile network congestion

SingTel is considering the use of data analytics to ensure a faster and smoother surfing experience for users, especially during the morning rush hour. Photo: Reuters
mail
print
View all 0 comments

Share on Tumblr

BY
TAN WEIZHEN
PUBLISHED: APRIL 12, 4:16 AM(PAGE 1 OF 2) - NEXT PAGE | SINGLE PAGE
SINGAPORE — As mobile networks in Singapore get increasingly jammed up by consumers hooked on using devices on the go, SingTel is looking at smarter ways of running its networks to ease some of that congestion.

Laying out the telco’s strategy for the Singapore market, Mr Paul O’Sullivan, CEO for Group Consumer at SingTel, said the company is looking at ways to use data analytics to ensure a smoother surfing experience.

Taking the example of morning rush-hour traffic at MRT stations, Mr O’Sullivan said: “With the growing amount of video and data traffic we see, there are even smarter ways of running networks.

“Before they board the train, lots of people might be looking to download a newspaper or something to read. If I use my analytics carefully, I can realise that and can start caching or storing that content quite close to MRT stations, which takes a load off the networks and give customers a faster experience.”

Mr O’Sullivan was speaking to reporters at the sidelines of an event to announce a partnership with Samsung Electronics — the world’s largest smartphone maker.

With the explosion of smartphone ownership, consumer usage habits have shifted from mainly voice communication and text messaging to high data demand services such as video streaming, which alone gobbles up about 60 per cent of data traffic in Singapore, said SingTel.

This has increased data consumption exponentially, with mobile data traffic in Singapore expected to grow more than 10 times to about 37 Petabytes in 2015 from about 3.1 petabytes in 2010, data from the Infocomm Development Authority shows.

Mr Mark Chong, CEO of International Group Consumer at SingTel, said the telco is also looking at ways to reduce buffering and congestion when too many users log on to the network and download content.

Meanwhile, Mr O’Sullivan added, another of SingTel’s strategies includes a big push to “find ways to digitise the business, making it easier for customers to transact with us”.

“Over the next few years, our goal would be to allow customers to (utilise) many of the functions today for which they would have to call a call centre or visit a store; to allow them to be able to do that on-screen,” he said.

(PAGE 1 OF 2) - NEXT PAGE | SINGLE PAGEPages

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Peak hour charges for peak hour surfing. Location based tariffs for surfing in hogh mobile densoty areas such as business districts and mrt. So many creative ways to fleece sinkies!

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Peak hour charges for peak hour surfing. Location based tariffs for surfing in hogh mobile densoty areas such as business districts and mrt. So many creative ways to fleece sinkies!
Aiyah, just have COE for phone lor. Different category also have. Ft category, pr category , sinkee category lor.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well done, now they will further throttle your bandwidth.

This is what you get for having greedy, foolish politicians.

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Singtel is shit. I can get dropped calls in Raffles place and it happened many times

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singtel is shit. I can get dropped calls in Raffles place and it happened many times

Hmm, didn't they say Singtel reception is lumber one in Sinkieland? Underground tunnel, inside lift, basement, you'll still get good signal strength.

Maybe Singtel's standard has dropped over the years. :wink:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well done, now they will further throttle your bandwidth.

This is what you get for having greedy, foolish politicians.

In short, make you pay more to use limited resources. That's their argument all along. They will turn around to ask you. Do you want all these resources to be decided by random chance ? That is the basis of COE ?

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Now you talking like ERP!

Aiyah, just have COE for phone lor. Different category also have. Ft category, pr category , sinkee category lor.

Talk easy! How to implement. Anyone also can use SG ic to buy handphone???

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even SingTel sms can get delayed for quite some time before you received it.
I'm not so sure about M1 and Starhub, maybe they got similar problems too.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am looking at getting a pre-paid phone card as a backup. In Malaysia you can get one with a validity period of 365 days by paying RM$30 to RM$35.

In Spore you don't have such as plan.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even SingTel sms can get delayed for quite some time before you received it.
I'm not so sure about M1 and Starhub, maybe they got similar problems too.

With M1 your sms is deleted after only 3 days. I found out the hard way when I was oversea for a week & didn't check my sms's.