• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Israeli startup’s battery can charge a smartphone in 30 seconds

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetel...arge-a-smartphone-in-30-seconds/?link=sfmw_fb

It’s a common problem in the 21st century: Your smartphone is almost out of power, and there’s no time to recharge.

But now, an Israeli startup called StoreDot may have a solution: The company says it has developed a new battery that can charge a smartphone in 30 seconds, according to a BBC News report.

During a demonstration at Microsoft’s Think Next Conference, the StoreDot device — which is the size of a cigarette pack — charged a Samsung S4 smartphone from dead to full power in 26 seconds, according to the report.

StoreDot, a nanotechnology company, says it has developed “next-generation batteries that can be fully charged in minutes rather than hours,” the Israel-based company said on its website. The company is also using nanotechnology to develop data storage, display and medicinal products.

The StoreDot battery technology is expected to be commercially available in three years, the report said.

That’s great news at a time when power has become a serious problem in mobile computing. This week, reports said Apple iPhones seem to always be running low on power because of the power drain caused by Facebook’s mobile app.

– Ben Pimentel

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is exiting news. So it is not Lithium-ion eh? Something new and different? Trust the Israelis to be right up there for this kind of development. When Li-Ion batteries appeared, I was amazed at the newer portable power tools which before that only had up to 12V power, I got a chance to try the 18V power drill and the thing had so much torgue, it spun out of my grip! Darn powerful If such rapid charge times are made reality, it could spell the end of corded electric tools! Great news!

Cheers!

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The battery must be redesigned to handle such load in such a short period of time.

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's not the voltage that create the impact, it's the current. remember V=IR and Power= IV; power also equal to w/t.

so this charger device probably has a low resistance with high capacitance to filter the high current cos' the high current will damage the components in the phone being charged.

This is exiting news. So it is not Lithium-ion eh? Something new and different? Trust the Israelis to be right up there for this kind of development. When Li-Ion batteries appeared, I was amazed at the newer portable power tools which before that only had up to 12V power, I got a chance to try the 18V power drill and the thing had so much torgue, it spun out of my grip! Darn powerful If such rapid charge times are made reality, it could spell the end of corded electric tools! Great news!

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Damn. Electricity is an area I never understood. Never paid attention during EE classes, all I ever needed to know was how to load the batteries, or plug the device in, and turn on the switch. In any case, I am awaiting the Formula E racing car series and am curious to witness the pit stop where the cars go in to charge their batteries. In the gasoline F1 series, it takes approx. 5 ~ 8 seconds to fuel-up, wonder how this new electric series will perform in this area. I suspect they will resort to battery change rather than a charge, but let's wait and see.

Cheers!

it's not the voltage that create the impact, it's the current. remember V=IR and Power= IV; power also equal to w/t.

so this charger device probably has a low resistance with high capacitance to filter the high current cos' the high current will damage the components in the phone being charged.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Cheers!

You're into tools? You're right now a days its common to also find in factory floors or workshops with portable battery operated tools able to lock and unlock big nuts that require high torque. One thing still cannot do for my application is the "stamina" of the tool now. There are battery operated screwdrivers available now for high torque fastening for self drilling screws problem is after like 40 drives it starts to lose power and in this application each worker drives like easily minimum 500 screws a day. I thought this new battery will be revolutionary.

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
we are all here to learn..

Damn. Electricity is an area I never understood. Never paid attention during EE classes, all I ever needed to know was how to load the batteries, or plug the device in, and turn on the switch. In any case, I am awaiting the Formula E racing car series and am curious to witness the pit stop where the cars go in to charge their batteries. In the gasoline F1 series, it takes approx. 5 ~ 8 seconds to fuel-up, wonder how this new electric series will perform in this area. I suspect they will resort to battery change rather than a charge, but let's wait and see.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not into tools but was for awhile into woodworking. Among the tools I owned were three power drills of which two were portable. Before that I had a corded Dewalt drill but when putting up my fence in the garden dragging the wire around was quite troublesome and I got a Black & Decker battery drill. I think they were NiCads, then my neighbour gave me his Makita power drill when he upgraded his. I later on purchased a table-saw and a band-saw as my interest grew and it became a hobby and I converted my garage into a workshop. If I had carried on, I would have obtained a router. It's been a few years since and now the portable tools come with Lithium-ion batteries. and offer a lot more torque. I do not know if the "stamina" has increased but there is every reason to believe so.

Cheers!

You're into tools? You're right now a days its common to also find in factory floors or workshops with portable battery operated tools able to lock and unlock big nuts that require high torque. One thing still cannot do for my application is the "stamina" of the tool now. There are battery operated screwdrivers available now for high torque fastening for self drilling screws problem is after like 40 drives it starts to lose power and in this application each worker drives like easily minimum 500 screws a day. I thought this new battery will be revolutionary.