• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ass Loon said S'pore more successful than expected during his reign

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has said that Singapore’s success over the last decade has brought with it its own set of challenges.[/h]
lee-hsien-loong-2.jpg
File photo of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. (AFP/ROSLAN RAHMAN)

SINGAPORE: Singapore's economy has fared better than expected over the last decade, but the country's success also brought about its own set of challenges.
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong made this point in a wide-ranging discussion with regional newspaper editors on Tuesday.
He said the country had paid the price of this fast growth, as infrastructure wasn't able to keep up with the rapid development.
Mr Lee was asked about Singapore's success during his time as Prime Minister and if anything exceeded his expectations.
He said yes, the country had done economically better than expected and grown faster -- attributing it to favourable conditions.
As investments poured in, the government had put in resources and brought in foreign labour needed to grow. As a result, developments at the Marina Bay area sprung up in within a decade, instead of the expected 20 to 30 years.
But Mr Lee acknowledged that this growth had come with a cost.

He said that in terms of infrastructure, the country had not been able to catch up and had paid a price, and added that the government had been working hard over the past three to four years trying to come back up to speed.
He said that if the government had been able to foresee the outcome, it would have acted sooner.

But that, he said, was with the benefit of "20-20 hindsight".

"We succeeded more than we expected, and so in terms of the infrastructure, we were not able to catch up -- our public transport, building houses," said Mr Lee. “And we paid a price."

"We have spent the last three, four years working hard to try and come up back to speed. I wish we had been able to foresee this outcome, and then we would have acted sooner.

“But that's 20-20 hindsight."

Mr Lee also emphasised that it's important for Singaporeans to feel they have a sense of belonging to the country -- and that is something that is still a work in progress.

In the dialogue with the news editors, it was no surprise that the media environment was an area of focus.

Responding to a question on Singapore's relatively low ranking by global media watchdog Reporters Without Borders, Mr Lee said: "I have given up that (Reporters Without Borders’ ranking)... I do not take them seriously."
He pointed out that information flows freely on the Internet and newspapers report the news freely, but also responsibly.

He said this is a model that has worked for Singapore, but also one that's changing as more people take to social media.

And the government too is adapting as Mr Lee acknowledged that social media can affect elections.

"People exchange opinions, snippets, moods, views as much as they seek for and slowly digest news and information and judgement,” he said.

On the subject of leadership succession in the government, Mr Lee was asked if Singapore would be alright if he was not Prime Minister tomorrow.

He replied candidly that that is the objective.

Mr Lee said leaders in Singapore stay as long as they are able to make a contribution.

He pointed to the more than 20 new Members of Parliament brought in at the last elections, with some already in the Cabinet.

He noted that they're doing well and moving into more responsible positions.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
when opposition parties and people cannot access to information the jiak leow bee PM is simply saying nonsense.

stopping over 55 y.o from withdrawing their CPF is successful? Fuck him.

Remove him from parliament this coming GE. Singapore don't want him to be PM.

[h=2]Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has said that Singapore’s success over the last decade has brought with it its own set of challenges.[/h]

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
A dragon amongst men. I could not imagine what my life would be without His Excellency.

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
when opposition parties and people cannot access to information the jiak leow bee PM is simply saying nonsense.

stopping over 55 y.o from withdrawing their CPF is successful? Fuck him.

Remove him from parliament this coming GE. Singapore don't want him to be PM.

Many sinkies, and more over time, are unhappy. Cannot touch their CPF money when desperately needed in bad times. Too many FTsh in the country. FTsh are seen to get away free or with light sentence for committing crimes while locals are punished harshly. The list goes on .... Can he make sinkies happy and proud of his achievements?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many sinkies, and more over time, are unhappy. Cannot touch their CPF money when desperately needed in bad times. Too many FTsh in the country. FTsh are seen to get away free or with light sentence for committing crimes while locals are punished harshly. The list goes on .... Can he make sinkies happy and proud of his achievements?

He has done so well. Time to boot him out next GE. Let him go into local history as PM who got booted out.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
graph.jpg

Dear Pinky,

The island's population had skyrocketed under your watch.

If that's your definition of success, I'd rather have failure.

All pappies have their flaws, but you are undoubtedly the worst PM that Singapore's had thus far.

Now go ahead and take more selfies you narcissistic self-praising prick. :rolleyes: :kma:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
This progress did not happen in Singapore alone. It happened all over the world and in South-East Asia, that growth has been tremendous in KL, Bangkok. Jakarta, Manila, Vietnam, and even in Myanmar. As long as there is peace, people will do what they do - and business will grow. This high paced growth too was aided by technological advances worldwide. Singapore, being caught amidst all these would have grown and progressed along no matter who was in government.

That's how I see it.

Cheers!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I've had a great sense of belonging towards Singapore ever since I left the damned place.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear Pinky,

The island's population had skyrocketed under your watch.

If that's your definition of success, I'd rather have failure.

His "exceptional track record" of economic growth was made up largely of 2 things: increased population growth through liberal immigration; and inflow of private wealth as a result of breaching global Anti Money Laundering rules.

Any private equity banker will be able to confirm this.

Switzerland has been under pressure for compliance and disclosure and singapore has benefited greatly from this. And that's also why crooks like Anton Casey can live in Sentosa cove.

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
He sold out Spore & Sporeans.

Nowadays when I walk around I feel like a foreigner in my own country.

PM should put on a disguise, his security details at a discreet distance, then take the MRT, bus or just walk around Geylang, Little India or any parts of SG, sit at a coffee shop, have a drink and open his eyes and ears. He will be a changed man after seeing with his own eyes at what is now happening in SG. A country which many sinkies feel does not belong to locals any more.

Last edited:

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
This progress did not happen in Singapore alone. It happened all over the world and in South-East Asia, that growth has been tremendous in KL, Bangkok. Jakarta, Manila, Vietnam, and even in Myanmar. As long as there is peace, people will do what they do - and business will grow. This high paced growth too was aided by technological advances worldwide. Singapore, being caught amidst all these would have grown and progressed along no matter who was in government.

That's how I see it.

Cheers!

Political stability plays a major pull. Who wants to put their money in KL, Bangkok, Jakarta, Manila, Vietnam, Myanmar? Ask the drug lords; these guys know where to stash their money. Ask the corrupt Generals and politicians from any country. Where do they stash their money?

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is a very stable country. No political extremists, no ethnic or tribal rivalries, no fundamentalist religious groups, friendly with all countries in the region and the world. No external or internal threat. No calamities. Yes, it is a good and safe place to park one's money. The rulers have an easy job in Sg. Really easy, and they receive a big fat salary for waking up in the morning.

Cheers!

Political stability plays a major pull. Who wants to put their money in KL, Bangkok, Jakarta, Manila, Vietnam, Myanmar? Ask the drug lords; these guys know where to stash their money. Ask the corrupt Generals and politicians from any country. Where do they stash their money?

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
"I wish we had been able to foresee this outcome, and then we would have acted sooner"

I thought good governments should have some form of forecasting for their policies?

Isn't it quite obvious that if you put too many people in a small place the infrastructure would be strained?

As for the sense of belonging, I thought we had quite a strong sense of belonging in the 80s or 90s? It seemingly got eroded after he took over.