• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Guess which race rioted: Maria Hertogh riots

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Hertogh_riots

The Maria Hertogh riots began on 11 December 1950 in Singapore after a court decided that a child who had been raised by Muslims should be returned to her Catholic biological parents. A protest by outraged Muslims escalated into a riot when images were published showing 13-year-old Maria Hertogh (or Bertha Hertogh) kneeling before a statue of the Virgin Mary. Riots in Singapore lasted until noon on 13 December 1950. Eighteen people were killed and 173 injured. Many properties were also damaged.
Hertogh (also known as Nadrah) had been in the care of Aminah binte Mohamed before being returned to her Dutch Catholic biological parents.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Despite the event taking place in a distant memory there is a common link that tie event until today. That link is interestingly Indian.

The riots was incited by and flamed by Indian Muslims. Their leader was Karim Ghani an Indian Muslim not a malay and not even a drop of Malay blood.

The leader of Singapore JI that led to the detention of 31 others is Ibrahim Maidin an Indian Muslim, not a Malay

The latest ISA detention case announced in the press in recent weeks are of 2 Indian Muslims, not Malays. One was deported.

So long time ago, all looked so hazy to me.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Despite the event taking place in a distant memory there is a common link that tie event until today. That link is interestingly Indian.

The riots was incited by and flamed by Indian Muslims. Their leader was Karim Ghani an Indian Muslim not a malay and not even a drop of Malay blood.

The leader of Singapore JI that led to the detention of 31 others is Ibrahim Maidin an Indian Muslim, not a Malay

The latest ISA detention case announced in the press in recent weeks are of 2 Indian Muslims, not Malays. One was deported.

ISD's Heritage Centre may need to update itself.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This was deliberately done as the community is small but politically connected. They are in CCCs.

One of the those charged in murder and convicted is the grandfather of the present owner of Jubliee Restaurant. The riots first erupted in Arab Street and not at Geylang.

ISD's Heritage Centre may need to update itself.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This was deliberately done as the community is small but politically connected. They are in CCCs.

One of the those charged in murder and convicted is the grandfather of the present owner of Jubliee Restaurant. The riots first erupted in Arab Street and not at Geylang.

Interesting. Was under the impression it erupted in Geylang.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

How do u know of all of this? Where did u get the information from?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I see so it is indians and not malays. Many ppl in singapore when they see a local that is muslim will automatically assume malay for obvious reasons because even though there is a sizable number of indian muslims around most indians would be hindu i assume and also christian. It also does not help the fact that many indian muslims get absorbed into the malay populace and somehow are just assumed to be malay. Taufik is one such example. He doesn't look indian or rather he has the stereotypical look of a malay but his father is indian and mum a malay so technically he is considered indian yet ignorant ppl would call him a malay. It's the same thing with former pm of mudland madhatter who is also technically an indian but probably considered malay. On the issue of the purity of malays in singapore i heard from a malay person that the minority of malays are actually of pure malay stock. The majority of them are actually mixed with other races mostly the local races especially with indians due to indian muslims and chinese and europeans mostly spanish i think. Heard one malay girl tell me her grandfather was a baba chinese and her face looked totally malay to me. The one thing that unites all of them is that they all subscribe to one religion islam and that they learn malay language in school and take up malay/islamic culture. Somehow in singapore malay culture is synomous with islamic practices. At the end of the day they aren't really malay and if you see pure malay people they kind of look chinese but perhaps with a darker skin tone. Many pure malay girls have fair skin and look chinese. If you see javanese girls you would think they came from east asia because a lot of them have the east asian/chinese type of look.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not even DKK, full blooded Indians Muslims born in the sub-continent. To handle these trouble makers, the second man in ISD at that time was a chap called Khan who was brought in by the British to Singapore to handle these guys. When he retired he returned to his village in Pakistan.

Old Man when on a state visit to Pakistan asked to see this pensioner as he used to brief him at the Istana.

The trouble with this country is that its history is written to accommodate the ruling Govt and not the facts.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What about Dr M? He is a paki right?
I see so it is indians and not malays. Many ppl in singapore when they see a local that is muslim will automatically assume malay for obvious reasons because even though there is a sizable number of indian muslims around most indians would be hindu i assume and also christian. It also does not help the fact that many indian muslims get absorbed into the malay populace and somehow are just assumed to be malay. Taufik is one such example. He doesn't look indian or rather he has the stereotypical look of a malay but his father is indian and mum a malay so technically he is considered indian yet ignorant ppl would call him a malay. It's the same thing with former pm of mudland madhatter who is also technically an indian but probably considered malay. On the issue of the purity of malays in singapore i heard from a malay person that the minority of malays are actually of pure malay stock. The majority of them are actually mixed with other races mostly the local races especially with indians due to indian muslims and chinese and europeans mostly spanish i think. Heard one malay girl tell me her grandfather was a baba chinese and her face looked totally malay to me. The one thing that unites all of them is that they all subscribe to one religion islam and that they learn malay language in school and take up malay/islamic culture. Somehow in singapore malay culture is synomous with islamic practices. At the end of the day they aren't really malay and if you see pure malay people they kind of look chinese but perhaps with a darker skin tone. Many pure malay girls have fair skin and look chinese. If you see javanese girls you would think they came from east asia because a lot of them have the east asian/chinese type of look.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Hertogh_riots

The Maria Hertogh riots began on 11 December 1950 in Singapore after a court decided that a child who had been raised by Muslims should be returned to her Catholic biological parents. A protest by outraged Muslims escalated into a riot when images were published showing 13-year-old Maria Hertogh (or Bertha Hertogh) kneeling before a statue of the Virgin Mary. Riots in Singapore lasted until noon on 13 December 1950. Eighteen people were killed and 173 injured. Many properties were also damaged.
Hertogh (also known as Nadrah) had been in the care of Aminah binte Mohamed before being returned to her Dutch Catholic biological parents.

And the lesson learnt ?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Father Malabari Muslim, mother Malay. The Malabaris are from Kerala, and speak Malayalam, not Tamil. Malayalam speakers include Devan Nair, the Syrian Christians, and probably half the lawyers in Singapore.:smile:

why would syrian speak malayalam? I used to know one indian and he referred to himself as malayee which is what they are also known as.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why would syrian speak malayalam? I used to know one indian and he referred to himself as malayee which is what they are also known as.

Yes, the Keralans are also known as Malayalees. The Syrian Christians are Malayalee Christians belonging to the orthodox Syrian Christian church founded by St Thomas. They are not ​Syrians by race.

The Saint Thomas Christians, also called Syrian Christians or Nasrani, are an ancient community of Christians from Kerala, India who trace their origins to the evangelistic activity of Thomas the Apostle in the 1st century. The community was historically united in leadership and liturgy, but since the 17th century have been split into several different church denominations and traditions.

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes...I remember my grandma mentioned about her kampong friend, an Indian Muslim lady whose husband ( also Indian Muslim) were jailed in the 1950s for taking part in the Maria Hertoge Riot in 1950.

Not forgeting the Indian sepoy riots in Singapore in the 1915 where Indian sepoy troops of the British Army rioted against angmohs, many of them Indian Muslims troops.

Thus, i guess the authority treat the Little India riots very seriously. Having said that however and to be fair , we should also put into perspective the Chinese also rioted many times in Singapore history.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, the Keralans are also known as Malayalees. The Syrian Christians are Malayalee Christians belonging to the orthodox Syrian Christian church founded by St Thomas. They are not ​Syrians by race.

The Saint Thomas Christians, also called Syrian Christians or Nasrani, are an ancient community of Christians from Kerala, India who trace their origins to the evangelistic activity of Thomas the Apostle in the 1st century. The community was historically united in leadership and liturgy, but since the 17th century have been split into several different church denominations and traditions.

I didn't know about that.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My parents used to live in the same neighbourhood with Mansoor's family, Maria's first husband. This was many years after the riots and he had already remarried. Was told he was a nice unassuming chap.