• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

‘Hidden’ unemployment problem in Singapore

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]‘Hidden’ unemployment problem in Singapore[/h]
dmca_protected_sml_120n.png
PostDateIcon.png
April 4th, 2014 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Contributions

Referring to the recently released Labour Market Report (March 2014) which shows that Singapore continues to enjoy a very low unemployment rate of 1.9% for the year 2013, this percentage includes Singapore residents whose unemployment rate is 2.8%.
For the month of December 2013, the Report gives breakdowns of percentages of unemployed Singapore residents in terms of (1) education, and (2) age, as shown in Figs. 1 and 2, respectively. Both figures show that the overall unemployment rate for December 2013 is close to the annual average rate of 2.8%. Further, both figures show that the unemployment rates are low for all groups, suggesting that unemployment is not a serious problem in Singapore. Indeed, the only groups appearing to have small unemployment problem are those with “Post-secondary” education and “Below 30” years of age.

For the month of December 2013, the Report also gives breakdowns of the number of unemployed Singapore residents in terms of (1) education, and (2) age, as shown in Figs. 3 and 4, respectively. These figures, however, show that the groups that have the largest number of unemployed are those with “Degree” education and “40 & Over” years of age. Further, if the two groups “Diploma & Professional Qualification” and “Degree” are combined forming the commonly referred group as the PMETs, the “hidden” unemployment problem then becomes apparent. For these PMETs, there are 22,400 out of a total 50,400 unemployed. They account for almost 50% of the unemployed.

If this number of unemployed is translated to number of families affected by unemployment, the number of residents who are affected by unemployment becomes much bigger. So, there is a serious unemployment problem in Singapore. The group which is most affected is in fact not the “young” with post-secondary education, but the “old” PMETs. Indeed, while these PMETs are out of work, isn’t it ironic to find that for the same month of December 2013, there were 175,100 employment pass holders working in Singapore?

Dr Tommy Wong

* Tommy is the author of the book series “Wisdom on How to Live Life” and other philosophical, self-help books including “Wisdom for Living After Being Fired”.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These unemployed local PMET's have been betrayed by the pro-foreigner and pro-businessmen policies of the pappy and they should voice their displeasure loudly and convince their families, friends and other locals not to vote for the wrong people.

AungSanSuShi

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Dr Tommy Wong's analysis is correct, it is good news indeed. I know of agencies in India and China that can't wait to send thousands of their PMETs to Sinkapore to work when the AEC officially takes off. These agencies will first help their PMETs to "convert" their citizenship to Burmese, Cambodian, Laotian, Vietnamese or Indonesian before applying for jobs here. When the AEC is launched, Sinkie employers are not subject to quotas on employing foreigners if the latter are from ASEAN countries. In fact their recruitment adverts can't state "Singaporeans or PRs only". It can only state "a citizen of an ASEAN country". When I have more time, I will upload a sample of a recruitment advert that is being drafted by members of AEC. It will serve as a template for recruiting ASEAN employees.

Last edited:

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If Dr Tommy Wong's analysis is correct, it is good news indeed. I know of agencies in India and China that can't wait to send thousands of their PMETs to Sinkapore to work when the AEC officially takes off. These agencies will first help their PMETs to "convert" their citizenship to Burmese, Cambodian, Laotian, Vietnamese or Indonesian before applying for jobs here. When the AEC is launched, Sinkie employers are not subject to quotas on employing foreigners if the latter are from ASEAN countries. In fact their recruitment adverts can't state "Singaporeans or PRs only". It can only state "a citizen of an ASEAN country". When I have more time, I will upload a sample of a recruitment advert that is being drafted by members of AEC. It will serve as a template for recruiting ASEAN employees.

Together we shall shout out...baris..hormat...heads down ass up senja tak !

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have calculated that 50,000 unemployed divided by at least 3 million workers still worked out to be less than 2% unemployment, which us pretty remarkable compared to OECD countries.

in angmo countries, unemployment numbers is equivalent to SGP working population!!!!

we should be thankful that we are still being employed!!

Last edited:

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
i have calculated that 50,000 unemployed divided by at least 3 million workers still worked out to be less than 2% unemployment, which us pretty remarkable compared to oecd countries.

In angmo countries, unemployment numbers is equivalent to sgp working population!!!!

We should be thankful that we are still being employed!!

you phua cheebye kopisai hor kau kan lah compare a little dot with others. Thank your yau siew master lah.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The chart is very confusing, first is 30 and below unemployed, 2nd chart suddenly 40 and above higher unemployment. Does anyone has links to the original source of those chart?

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There will be no more unemployment for Singaporeans when PAPs and collaborators are all dancing the dance of collaborators under lamp posts

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The other day, I was taking a taxi and this driver used to be running his own family business.
All the while he has been a boss and never been an employee before.
When asked him why is there so many taxi on the road, he didn't even know there's such an issue with PMET.
It's only after I explained to him what the Sillypore gahbrament did, only then he realized this sort of shit going on.