• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NS-man death coroner’s inquiry: captain not clear about mental illness

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm not saying he should have done anything of the sort.

What I am saying is that we don't live in a perfect world and that every once in a while, some looney will either kill himself or go on a rampage or both.

This sort of problem is never going to be solved. No amount of gun control, commissions of enquiry, SOPs etc is going to remove risk. Human beings are imperfect. Some thrive under stress, other snap. We have to learn to live with this fact.

The fact is that there was a dereliction of duty. The S1 was clueless on mental health ...she knew that the trainee had mental health issues and she didn't even bother to find out more what she didn't know. Instead she brush the condition off. If she had heard the trainee had cancer, would she have reacted likewise?

It reflects poorly on the officer corp when she dared to brush aside her ignorance and justify her actions. She deserves to be inflicted with mental illness.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Immigrants who can afford to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a pigeon hole are obviously highly successful and motivated individuals.

These are the immigrants that want to get their ill-gain money out. So, it doesn't matter how much they pay for a worthless pigeon hole. There are many rich Ah Tiongs who are willing to buy your assets overseas off you with a premium as long as you are willing to accept the payment in the PRC.

All developed countries are fighting for these high net worth characters because they add value to the economy.

Yeah right? Then why the cap placed on the HNW immigrants?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But Singapore is not a developed country and has never been one.

That's why we need FT to enrich our pathetic gene pool.

In the eyes of the international community, Sinkapore is a first world country. We know it isn't but the rest of the world don't think so.

The PATANs do not enhance our gene pool. The smart ones will leave soon after experiencing life here. Those that remains are the dumb ones.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's the quality of officer we have in the SAF. Surely, she could have googled to find out what was schizoprehia. Nah, she had no initiative to do that or choose not to.

These are the type of officers that will receive friendly fire when war breaks out.

SAF is the world's worst armed force.

tanakow

Alfrescian
Loyal
How true. The medical board should answer not the MPO.

It is not a training officer's job to pass judgement on medical matters.

If a trainee is declared fit to go through a training program, the training officer's job is to train everyone according a format and judge performance impartially using the same yardstick for all trainees.

If there is any error, it's in the medical classification of this nut case by the medical board.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
SOP: It is never my fault. Shit happens because we were not trained or policies did not anticipate this. Bochup! No common sense! Now you know why FTs are replacing sinkies!

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Paiseh to say, had first hand witness of recruits being singled out for tekan by corporals and sergeants. Usually the quiet ones and timid looking ones. Advice for those whose kids going ns. In saf, don't be above average or below average. Just be average, confirm 2 years soon soon.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How true. The medical board should answer not the MPO.
Paiseh, above does not apply to those signing on. Sign on regular require different skills, por lampar being the most important. Knowledge and physical fitness all secondary.

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
this sounded more like she has a problem with the shitskin. i remembered i had a friend who was a platoon sergeant in 2 SIR many years ago. he always picked on a shit skin who keng his way to be a range warden. eventually, the shit skin was in the newspaper for the wrong reasons...

http://theindependent.sg/ns-man-death-coroners-inquiry-captain-not-clear-about-mental-illness/

“We, as a unit, have been giving him a lot of chances. We, as a unit, have been helping him along the way, but there are consequences for every wrongdoing.

“He has to learn. And while he is learning the consequences of his wrongdoing, I will help him gain his bearings.”

MORE TO COME. The hearing will resume this afternoon.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The fact is that there was a dereliction of duty. The S1 was clueless on mental health ...s

The S1 is not a doctor. The S1 is in charge of acquiring and allocating manpower. Mental health is medical issue not a manpower issue.

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
Schizophrenic soldier's captain was out of her depth

http://www.tnp.sg/content/schizophr...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Private (Pte) Ganesh Pillay Magindren’s supervising officer was “completely out of her depth” in dealing with his mental condition, the coroner said yesterday.

That was because Captain (Capt) Jessie Goh (above), then a lieutenant, did not try to find out how to manage the full-time national serviceman, who suffered from schizophrenia.

She found out about his condition after his private psychiatrist, Dr Paul Ngui, informed her in a letter last April, five months after he was posted into the unit at Khatib Camp.

Said State Coroner Imran Abdul Hamid : “She was not even slightly curious about how well she could have managed the deceased. A simple phone call to his psychiatrist or the unit’s medical officer would have cleared up matters.”

Pte Ganesh, 23, was found dead at the foot of his Sengkang condominium last July.

Read the full story in The New Paper on Wednesday (April 9).

Timerty

Alfrescian
Loyal
Charlotte Ashton will say she lacks compassion and thoughtfulness. A woman should be more sensitive than men, trying to be a war machine robot is just against nature.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
It has little to do with the fact she is female. More relevant is how MINDEF make postings. Abuse of power and arbitrary meting of punishments by regular officers are rampant during my time in the armed forces, and this could have contributed to the tragedy.

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
a lot of these lasup occifers are like that, i was saboed by my then CO from 6 SIB for being a paedophile but infact he is the paedophile who has a liking for young boys...

my experience in the army tells me that this capt. with her statement has a problem with the shitskin...

It has little to do with the fact she is female. More relevant is how MINDEF make postings. Abuse of power and arbitrary meting of punishments by regular officers are rampant during my time in the armed forces, and this could have contributed to the tragedy.

Charlotte Ashton will say she lacks compassion and thoughtfulness. A woman should be more sensitive than men, trying to be a war machine robot is just against nature.

Last edited:

Lizzert

Alfrescian
Loyal
Split or Multiple personality is advantage in NS..kena guard duty or take extras can ask the other personality to do..no need to sell
to platoon mates like everyone else.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No coverup - SAF officer found wanting!

NSF's illness mishandled by officer

20140410_corner-tnp.jpg

Private (Pte) Ganesh Pillay Magindren's supervising officer was "completely out of her depth" in dealing with his mental condition, the coroner said on Tuesday.

That was because Captain (Capt) Jessie Goh, then a lieutenant, did not try to find out how to manage the full-time national serviceman (NSF), who had schizophrenia.

Pte Ganesh, 23, was found dead at the foot of his Sengkang condominium last July.

In an inquiry into the NSF's death, State Coroner Imran Abdul Hamid said he died from multiple injuries sustained from a deliberate fall from height, and that he had known it would lead to his death.

The day before his death, Capt Goh had given him 14 days of extra duties for not signing a logbook, reporting late for work and unsatisfactory work performance.

Mr Imran said: "(The punishment) is a daunting prospect even for soldiers without any mental issues.

"I agree with a previous witness who said Ganesh probably found it difficult to stomach the fact that he was given 14 days of extra duties after being at the receiving end of so many."

A stone-faced Capt Goh sat in the public gallery as the findings were read out in the State Courts.

She was the manpower officer at 24th Battalion Singapore Artillery and was directly in charge of Pte Ganesh when he was posted to the unit in November two years ago.

Pte Ganesh was assigned to clerical work as an administrative support assistant.

When he was posted there, Capt Goh interviewed him and found out that he was depressed and had been seeing a private doctor. When she asked what kind of doctor he was seeing, he did not tell her and she did not probe further.

In fact, Pte Ganesh was seeing a psychiatrist regularly for schizophrenia.

She knew only that he had been given the Physical Employment Status (PES) E9L9, the second-lowest medical classification given to servicemen.

Her computer system did not state why he had been given that PES status and she did not try to find out.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: No coverup - SAF officer found wanting!

Oh yes there was a coverup. She was covering her backside throughout the trial. :wink: