• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

intuition

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
do you trust your own intuition and how do you apply to your daily lives?

the ability to understand something instinctively, without the need for conscious reasoning.
"we shall allow our intuition to guide us"
synonyms: instinct, intuitiveness; sixth sense, divination, clairvoyance, second sight, ESP (extrasensory perception)
"he works according to intuition"

KNNBNBCB

Alfrescian
Loyal
do you trust your own intuition and how do you apply to your daily lives?

the ability to understand something instinctively, without the need for conscious reasoning.
"we shall allow our intuition to guide us"
synonyms: instinct, intuitiveness; sixth sense, divination, clairvoyance, second sight, ESP (extrasensory perception)
"he works according to intuition"

Eh, PAP IB today you morning shift huh :oIo:

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
serious, think about intuition, it can help you in many ways...and i think you are thinking too much that i am a PAP IB.

KNNBNBCB

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any mod present? I propose to consolidate all these boliao nutbush/hotbot threads into 1 and dump it into the rubbish heap.

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
Intuition which I trust most are those honed through years of experience and repeated practice.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Intuition which I trust most are those honed through years of experience and repeated practice.
Fully agreed.

Intuition is a "quick mental estimate or judgement" based on the data bank of the person's past experiences.

Therefore, a seasoned police officer who have encountered countless violent riots will have the intuition to use force at an early state to prevent the riot from escalating out of control. One with no experience will feel that maximum restraint is the best option.

Acting on intuition is fine if one has the exposure. However, it is a pure gamble if he/she is facing the situation for the very first time.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
yes this is true ....if you have 20 years worth of experience then you would be much better than a newbie.....the only problem is that many dont have 20 years experience after 20 years....instead they have 1 year experiences 20 times.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is not intuition. Intuition is unexplained decision to act or do something or form an opinion without any linkage to reason or a past experience. Its more in the area of gut feel. The concept is now often used when designing consumer products where the desire is for the consumer to operate a newly purchased device easily without guidance or past experience.

In the past , it was often associated with the female gender being the weaker sex who know intuitively not to associate with someone as some form of defence and protective mechanism. They can't explain why they feel that way.

We all rely on our past experience or the past experience of someone else to guide us for our day to day activities. We know from past experience that you take path A to reach home from the MRT station because it is the shortest or the best way. That is not intuition. Intuition is taking one of two path for the very first time with no signboard or any indication. It falls between guess work and gut feel.

Last edited:

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
....the only problem is that many dont have 20 years experience after 20 years....instead they have 1 year experiences 20 times.
Great analysis. It is the key problem with many people. They do not try new methods, learn from others nor think out of the box. Instead they stick strictly to sop. His data bank after 20 yrs is near zero.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is not intuition. Intuition is unexplained decision to act or do something or form an opinion without any linkage to reason or a past experience. Its more in the area of gut feel. The concept is now often used when designing consumer products where the desire is for the consumer to operate a newly purchased device easily without guidance or past experience. ....

.....Intuition is taking one of two path for the very first time with no signboard or any indication. It falls between guess work and gut feel.
I used to share the same idea that intuition is gut feel. Let's take the case of A young chap with little experience, and his gut feel is frequently correct. some called it luck. I called it smart.

For his gut feel to be consistently correct, I believe he is still drawing on his past experiences on other matters and applying them to the current situation he is facing. That is why he is smart. The ability to use what appeared to be a totally unrelated past experience and recognizing that the principle of making the decision is the same as the present issue, takes a very good brain. This group of people is small. However, they will still need a data bank of past exposures to tap on. An infant need to learn that fire hurts by getting burn. A smart baby will learn through observation that what adults don't do he better not try.

Well just my thought on intuition.

Last edited:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
yes...in the end it is a mix of many things i think.

I used to share the same idea that intuition is gut feel. Let's take the case of A young chap with little experience, and his gut feel is frequently correct. some called it luck. I called it smart.

For his gut feel to be consistently correct, I believe he is still drawing on his past experiences on other matters and applying them to the current situation he is facing. That is why he is smart. The ability to use what appeared to be a totally unrelated past experience and recognizing that the principle of making the decision is the same as the present issue, takes a very good brain. This group of people is small. However, they will still need a data bank of past exposures to tap on. An infant need to learn that fire hurts by getting burn. A smart baby will learn through observation that what adults don't do he better not try.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you look at the synonyms in the first post which I copied below, it tells where the term "Intuition" sits. It has nothing to do with experience or a database of past experience. A street smart individual has nothing to do with intuition. It is a wealth of information acquired from dealing with people from a particular environment, interacting with the environment etc.