• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Don't buy Seagate hard disks

tanakow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do not buy Seagate hard disks. Even though it may come with longer warranty, Seagate makes it very difficult for you to get the hard disk repaired or replaced. You have to put up a RMA and then ship the defective hard disk to the Service Centre. They do not allow you to just take the defective hard disk to the service centre for a replacement unlike Hitachi or other hard disk manufactures.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Do not buy Seagate hard disks. Even though it may come with longer warranty, Seagate makes it very difficult for you to get the hard disk repaired or replaced. You have to put up a RMA and then ship the defective hard disk to the Service Centre. They do not allow you to just take the defective hard disk to the service centre for a replacement unlike Hitachi or other hard disk manufactures.

I use only Western Digital. Have been very happy with their Passport for Mac (2T) disks using them since 6 months ago before that using 1T for a couple of years. Reliable. For backups I always have redundancy so even if one disk has problem I always will have the other so no worries. So far I've not experience I need to send it for repair as if one is really defective will get a new one to replace immediately.

WD Passport

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That's the standard procedure for a hard disk RMA. Seagate will mail you a new (refurbished) hard disk after a few working days.

Not sure what you're complaining about.

Price, performance and reliability are more important concerns for a hard disk.

tanakow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have to go to the Post Office, pay the postage for the parcel and wait for how many weeks while with Hitachi or others , I just need to go to the service centre.

I can understand RMA for a big country but Singapore?

That's the standard procedure for a hard disk RMA. Seagate will mail you a new (refurbished) hard disk after a few working days.

Not sure what you're complaining about.

Price, performance and reliability are more important concerns for a hard disk.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have had 3 major bad experiences with Seagate HDDs, and have sworn off buying any new Seagate forever.

However, I found their RMA procedure quite ok, in all the 3 instances, so I can't fault them on that. Just send in to the shop at Funan and they return by post after repair/replacement. In fact, in one of the instances, I had even dismantled one of the HDDs hoping to recover the data by swopping a component with another similar HDD, thereby invalidating the warranty - however, Seagate still honored the warranty.

I am still using the RMAed Seagate HDD in non-mission critical use. So far (touch wood), no further failures... yet.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I will not buy anything from Seagate due to 1 reason- Carlos R Pestano III.

This Pestano pest labelled locals as rotten but no action was taken against him by Seagate or the Singapore govt.
Will not forget and forgive.
Do the 60% have any pride left at all-including those paid millions every month?

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So I assume most folks here use WD HDDs? WD HDDs come in green/blue/black/red labels... quite confusing to know which to pick.

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have sworn off Seagate products because they practice hiring of workers and then retrenching them on a very regular basis.
I find that very bad for a company to behave... I mean.. do they know how to manage business at all?

http://business.asiaone.com/news/hard-disk-firm-lays-over-500-workers

The gahmen pats it's back.. and then it retrenches over 500 people.. well done!!
I say no to such businesses. If they can't take care of their own employees and staff.. and keep retrenching them after hiring them for a year or less.. then they don't deserve my money.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So I assume most folks here use WD HDDs? WD HDDs come in green/blue/black/red labels... quite confusing to know which to pick.

green- slower rotational speeds. Probably 5,400. As it uses less power, may last longer because of less wear & tear
black- fastest products running at 7,200/10,000
blue -???

Red - for use use as backups e.g. RAID

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now there is only 2 manufacturer of HD that are Seagate and Western Digital.
Other brand have been brought over by these two player.
I dont understand why anyone will buy new notebook with HD. They should buy those with SSD.
Price about extra $100 with smaller data capacity. But advantage is energy saving and fast.

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
I use only Western Digital. Have been very happy with their Passport for Mac (2T) disks using them since 6 months ago before that using 1T for a couple of years. Reliable. For backups I always have redundancy so even if one disk has problem I always will have the other so no worries. So far I've not experience I need to send it for repair as if one is really defective will get a new one to replace immediately.

WD Passport

These are the best...no doubt.

Huat-Ah

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have to go to the Post Office, pay the postage for the parcel and wait for how many weeks while with Hitachi or others , I just need to go to the service centre.

I can understand RMA for a big country but Singapore?

@ tan ah kow
None of our business :rolleyes:
Don't expect us to spoonfeed you.
The only person you can ask is Your MASTER Leongsam. Just BARK for him and Lick his ASS perhaps Leongsam can afford to sponsor you another FREE HARD DISK! lol :biggrin:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I will not buy anything from Seagate due to 1 reason- Carlos R Pestano III.

This Pestano pest labelled locals as rotten but no action was taken against him by Seagate or the Singapore govt.
Will not forget and forgive.
Do the 60% have any pride left at all-including those paid millions every month?

So. that's name of the Pinoy idiot who bite the hands that feed him. Shame on the PAP for letting foreigners who hate sinkees to remain here. This is proof of how much contempt the PAP has for sinkees. PAP is the party of foreigners, selling sinkees out for a cent!

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I'm pissed posted wrong thread. Please don't zap me.

Last edited: