• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MP shocked at large number of foreign lecturers in S'pore unis

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
here is an insight into the mindset of PAP MPs, and it shows how fucking out of touch with reality they are. MP Seah Kian Peng, His own daughter comes back and tells him that she hardly hears a singaporean prof. in NUS, and he dismisses her. Only starts to believe her went he hears it from another colleague. If this kind of asshole don't believe what his own flesh and blood says, how do we expect them to believe what the populace tells them? That is why they don't believe it when they are told foreigners are taking jobs, cost of living very high, housing too expensive, etc. And why is the PAP allowing 20% of all University spots in all universities in Singapore to go to foreigners, almost all of which are here on scholarship? This forces thousands of locals kids to studying overseas, costing their families tens of thousands of dollars, and contributing to another country's economy. How can these 20% of foreign students given a free ride in Singapore unis be better than the local students? They can barely string one sentence of English together. What is their GP score? What is their English score? Better than Singaporean student? I doubt it.

In Parliament earlier in March, Member of Parliament for Marine Parade GRC, Seah Kian Peng expressed shock at the number of foreigners who have staffed the faculties in Singapore’s tertiary institutions.

He was speaking on the merits of “long-term thinking and planning”, giving the example of the roles of our universities.

Mr Seah related how one of his colleagues had told him “how rare it was for his daughter to hear a Singaporean accent when being taught by NUS professors.”

“I was actually ready to dismiss the claims but then I heard it again — this time from a student at NTU,” Mr Seah said.

After inquiring with the Ministry of Education for the numbers, he found out that Singaporean faculty members made up the minority in certain departments in the National University of Singapore (NUS) and the Nanyang Technological University (NTU)

- Political Science department of NUS, 28% of the 25 faculty members are S’poreans.

- NTU’s S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, 41% of the 29 faculty members are S’poreans.

- NTU Wee Kim Wee School of Communications and Information, 44% of the 48 faculty members are S’porean.

- NUS Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, 46% of the 82 faculty members are S’poreans.

“I know it that in our universities, as in other professions, there needs to be open competition,” Mr Seah told Parliament. “But the percentages are surely astonishing — only a bit more than one quarter of the professors at the Political Science department in NUS are Singaporeans!”

Besides the presence of a majority in faculty staff, the shortage of places in tertiary institutions for Singaporeans has also been a point of unhappiness among Singaporeans.

IN 2011, the Minister for Education disclosed in Parliament that the number of foreign students in the tertiary institutions was 18 per cent.

According to the New York Times in August 2012, “The government has capped the number of international students at 20 percent of the undergraduate intake for the past decade. In 2011, they made up 18 percent, with most coming from China, India and other Southeast Asian countries, according to the Ministry of Education.

“The ministry said in a statement that it would maintain current levels “to facilitate better integration between Singaporeans and international students.”

The government had announced that the cap of 20 per cent foreign enrolment will remain but 2,000 new university places will be added for Singaporean students by 2015.

On Friday, the Mr heng Swee Keat, the Minister of Education, said he will add 1,000 places this year.

This means there will be 14,000 university places for locals, 1,000 more than the 13,000 places in 2012.

“We had originally aimed to reach this level by 2015, so we are a year ahead of schedule,” Mr Heng said.

————–

Here is an extract of Mr Seah’s speech in Parliament earlier in March:

“One of my colleagues, who is studying at the National University of Singapore, told me how rare it was for his daughter to hear a Singaporean accent when being taught by NUS professors. I was actually ready to dismiss the claims but then I heard it again — this time from a student at NTU.

“So, through Parliament, I asked MOE for some figures. I found out in the Political Science department of NUS, 28% of the 25 faculty members are Singaporeans. In NTU’s S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, 41% of the 29 faculty members are Singaporeans. In the NTU Wee Kim Wee School of Communications and Information, 44% of the 48 faculty members are Singaporean. And in the NUS Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, 46% of the 82 faculty members are Singaporeans.

“I do not know what the international norms are — the Ministry of Education does not have comparable figures for UK and US universities. I agree that our universities need to be competitive and internationally well recognised. I know it that in our universities, as in other professions, there needs to be open competition. But the percentages are surely astonishing — only a bit more than one quarter of the professors at the Political Science department in NUS are Singaporeans!”

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You would think that decades of relying of foreign expertise would have led to more sinkees acquiring the expertise through knowledge transfer. Nah, instead, we become even more reliant on foreigners.
And the government continues to make instant sinkees out of foreigners who take up scholarships so to hide the true amount being spent on foreigners. A foreign scholarship holder easily chews up $1 million. And for that money, they are required to take up citizenship and serve 6 years bond. That's a darn good deal. Guess, how many of them will stay on after their bond is up?

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am surprised that he is surprised!
This is just part of the overall trend where foreign is better.
A friend's daughter was telling us that no one in her accountancy class understood what the Hongkie lecturer was talking about in class.

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Children of our Ministers.... are they studying in Singapore or overseas?

My guess is the Ministers do not know what is happening in our Universities......

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
:biggrin: hahahahahaha! seng san, lei kong mak quai. :eek:

Sori, friend cant help laughing.

A friend's daughter was telling us that no one in her accountancy class understood what the Hongkie lecturer was talking about in class.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tell that Hongkie to speak Cantonese when giving lecture.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
You would think that decades of relying of foreign expertise would have led to more sinkees acquiring the expertise through knowledge transfer. Nah, instead, we become even more reliant on foreigners.
And the government continues to make instant sinkees out of foreigners who take up scholarships so to hide the true amount being spent on foreigners. A foreign scholarship holder easily chews up $1 million. And for that money, they are required to take up citizenship and serve 6 years bond. That's a darn good deal. Guess, how many of them will stay on after their bond is up?

I guess after all the propaganda about what a great school NUS is, and how high is the international ranking, they couldn't find former graduates of this school qualified to be its professors? This kind of professorship is a high paying job, easily 6 figures salary. I supposed Gay Loong will come out and say this kind of job is not desired nor wanted by sinkies?

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would thought use foreign lecturers is to help Sinkies learn better English? Why hire seng san lei kong mak quai Honkies?

I guess after all the propaganda about what a great school NUS is, and how high is the international ranking, they couldn't find former graduates of this school qualified to be its professors? This kind of professorship is a high paying job, easily 6 figures salary. I supposed Gay Loong will come out and say this kind of job is not desired nor wanted by sinkies?

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is precisely this kind of situation in SG where FTsh overwhelm the locals in the work places, in schools, in the varsities, etc that turns the sinkies to cast their votes for any oppo party except the PAP. Why are FTsh preferred over locals? It is just madness.

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is a case where the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing although they are attached to the same body. What a joke.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Which Sinkie can tahan doing a PhD when you need to serve reservist?

I think you can defer all the way if you're doing a PhD. There's also the option of doing your PhD and then teaching at a university overseas.

Once you're out of the cuntry, the SAF/Mindef is powerless over you.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
could be LKY felt betrayed why no Sinkies bothered to go listen at his PAP rallies during election time starting from 1984. Then in 1989 use GRC.

So take revenge on Sinkies. He hates lose face like most towkay Ah Beng.

It is precisely this kind of situation in SG where FTsh overwhelm the locals in the work places, in schools, in the varsities, etc that turns the sinkies to cast their votes for any oppo party except the PAP. Why are FTsh preferred over locals? It is just madness.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I would thought use foreign lecturers is to help Sinkies learn better English? Why hire seng san lei kong mak quai Honkies?

There are some foreign lecturers from English speaking countries, but not nearly enough. hiring HKers is on thing, but they are also hiring apuneh lecturers. U can see so many lecturers are from 3rd world countries, are their unis better than NUS? Try listening to them. I am guessing the good western lecturers prefer to teach in a UK or US university. Which indicates that in the eyes of the world, NUS is small shit.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
could be LKY felt betrayed why no Sinkies bothered to go listen at his PAP rallies during election time starting from 1984. Then in 1989 use GRC.

So take revenge on Sinkies. He hates lose face like most towkay Ah Beng.

He is pissed off that sinkies are leaving like rats from a sinking ship. His brag to other world leaders of what a great place he has build up in singapore rings hollow when they point out to him the number of sinkies fleeing and applying for citizenship at their countries.

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal

If they wanted shitizenship, many of them would not have jumped bond and fled. No wonder many forumers here cursed and swore at PAP and certain you know who to high heavens.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Question is why is this NTUC big shot MP clueless as to what is going on in the universities in terms of foreigners employed there. Lancheow just has to talk to his unionized workers and they will tell him that cheap foreign labour is infiltrating them and killing their wages. I guess this MP does not take the MRT, eat in a Hawker center, etc. or else how can he be so ignorant about the impact of the FTs here.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you can defer all the way if you're doing a PhD. There's also the option of doing your PhD and then teaching at a university overseas.

Once you're out of the cuntry, the SAF/Mindef is powerless over you.

I've met NSMen called back and saying its a pain to disrupt their research. Especially scientists.