• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore education system is one of the best in the world

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate the govt for a job well done.

The Straits Times
www.straitstimes.com
Published on Apr 01, 2014

Singapore students excel in problem-solving, a global study shows

By Sandra Davie, Senior Education Correspondent

Singapore’s 15-year-olds don’t just excel in mathematics, science and reading, they are also world beaters when it comes to solving complex and unfamiliar problems, a global study shows.

They and South Korean teens emerged No 1, beating students from 42 other countries and economies who took part in a problem solving test, a subset of the Programme for International Student Assessment (Pisa) study conducted two years ago which tested students skills in mathematics, science and reading.

For the online test on problem-solving, the 1,394 students here from across the streams in the 166 government secondary schools and six private schools including Madrasah Aljunied Al-Islamiah and Canadian International were required to tackle between four and eight problems with each problem containing several sub-questions.

For example, one question asked students to observe the simulated behaviour of a robot cleaner online and figure out the rules by which the robot cleaner operates.

Copyright © 2014 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
sinkies are trained to be textbook muggers and nothing more...o level, a level, ten year series...

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sg math is highly touted in elite schools in the u.s.

elite u.s. kids schooled with a powerful combo of sinkie problem-solving and american creative freedom will becum the world's future billionaires. the u.s. are never shy to adopt and copy from the best. :biggrin:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
The sad thing is that solving problem need more then brains.

They need commitment and creativity. But Singkie have no balls.

GramStroker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another chest thumping exercise which counts for nothing if employers have the option of cheap labour or smooth talking ang mohs.

greenies

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is purely IQ brain power.
We need highest EQ brain(s) to run the daily country.
If those academic-excelled scholars were to join civil services and become chiefs, then we would be doomed.

Show me any world leaders who were excelled in academic???

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone can excel at math through rote learning.

In fact, advanced math is one of the more worthless life skills. Other than certain engineers and statisticians, no one cares if you know calculus or trigonometry.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

In fact, advanced math is one of the more worthless life skills. Other than certain engineers and statisticians, no one cares if you know calculus or trigonometry.

Same as literature, geography, science etc...

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
retired sinkie teacher can make a lot of money if they group together and establish private schools in Malaysia starting with JB and expanding northwards.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hopefully these students will put their brains together and solve Singapore's land scarce situation.

Cheers!

www.straitstimes.com

[h=1]Singapore students excel in problem-solving, a global study shows[/h][h=2][/h]

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate the govt for a job well done.

The Straits Times
www.straitstimes.com

Singapore students excel in problem-solving, a global study shows

By Sandra Davie, Senior Education Correspondent

Singapore’s 15-year-olds don’t just excel in mathematics, science and reading, they are also world beaters when it comes to solving complex and unfamiliar problems, a global study shows.

They and South Korean teens emerged No 1, beating students from 42 other countries and economies who took part in a problem solving test, a subset of the Programme for International Student Assessment (Pisa) study conducted two years ago which tested students skills in mathematics, science and reading.

For the online test on problem-solving, the 1,394 students here from across the streams in the 166 government secondary schools and six private schools including Madrasah Aljunied Al-Islamiah and Canadian International were required to tackle between four and eight problems with each problem containing several sub-questions.

For example, one question asked students to observe the simulated behaviour of a robot cleaner online and figure out the rules by which the robot cleaner operates.

Copyright © 2014 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.

I did nt know we had 15 year olds in the government ? Although if we had they might do a better job.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

I do agree about calculus. Trig is useful in daily life but that's hardly advanced . Statistical thinking can be useful too if only to understand how governments smoke us .

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. Higher mathematics is useful only to people involved in high-level sciences. Bookies will find statistics useful too. The rest of us in the working world, it is percentage mark up to make profit, percentage discount to increase sales.

Cheers!

I do agree about calculus. Trig is useful in daily life but that's hardly advanced . Statistical thinking can be useful too if only to understand how governments smoke us .

SheRa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies are only academic smart and when dealing with real situation, cannot handle

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sinkies are trained to be textbook muggers and nothing more...o level, a level, ten year series...

praise the 10 yrs series. I memorized 10 yrs series till I scored A1 and A2 for most subjects except English. LOL
With my aggregate of 9 for best 5 subjects, I applied for supermarket supervisors, etc was rejected due to being too intelligent. I told interviewer you thought I want meh..they thought I am playing a fool.

Last edited: