• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Aussie author: SG is all marketing and hot air

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The author obviously has an axe to grind. It is stated that he worked "briefly" for the ST. He obviously got fired for incompetence hence the animosity towards the country that he voluntarily lived in for many years.

If Singapore was as bad as he makes it out to be, why did he move from OZ to SG in the first place? :rolleyes:

As a foreigner he obviously didn't understand the system that exists here. Many have described it as " a climate of fear" .

Remember Dr. Christopher Lingle who was working at NUS:confused: His crime was to write about how some " regimes in East Asia are able to thwart criticism by relying on a compliant judiciary"
He had to run road http://www.thelockeinstitute.org/books/lingle.html

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For decades the Lee family has been fed by taxpayers money. Do you think they are grateful:confused:
Some PAP MP's have even called Sporeans "lesser mortals".

Agree. We ordinary citizens are suffering.

Give us back all OUR blood and sweat CPF money at age 55 NOWWWWW !!!:mad:

@rmadill0

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY is over-rated. Too clever by half at times. Should learn to be humble. Hope to see him stand at next GE to suffer loss of his GRC. Therafter, he can report to other world.

No way he will stand at next GE. At the very best, he will have to sit on wheel chair. :wink:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No way he will stand at next GE. At the very best, he will have to sit on wheel chair. :wink:

No worries. Kee Chiu will lead Tanjong Pagar GRC to glory. :wink:

YAia11S.jpg

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But the Lion City became heavily dependent on foreign capital while state enterprises focused on infrastructure and "nation-building concerns".

Entrepreneurial and innovative capacities have suffered because of a lack of domestic competition and the predominance of state bodies. Public servants running state boards often have little experience of the private sector "and no idea how to run a business", King and other analysts say.

"The local private sector, normally the seedbed of innovation in most market economies, is stunted and starved of venture capital," King writes. "The country's capacity for indigenous research and development and entrepreneurial and innovative endeavours remains limited.

"Heavy state control of the economy is exercised through an extensive layer of state enterprises. The state imposes this control through layers of red tape.

"The government also manages a big chunk of the people's savings through forced savings � and owns 72 per cent of the city-state's land. Moreover, the government controls the unions and most of the labour force. Equally mythical are Singapore's claims to being transparent. Nothing could be more untrue. The operations of Singapore's government and bureaucracy are swathed in secrecy."

King counters claims of high home-ownership levels, saying 86 per cent of Singaporeans rent government flats from the Housing Development Board on 99-year leases.

The author is provocative but very thorough. Every aspect of life in the city-state is analysed in detail.

- http://therealsingapore.com/content/bangkok-independent-newspaper-singapore-lion-without-teeth

How the fuck to have venture capital?

That smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY stolen and fucked 700++ BILLIONS from all of us into his stinkapore sovereign funds and to pay his fucking PAP maggots cockroaches walking bags of excrements and perverted corrupt kangaroos and civil serpents.
Where got money to do venturing that is not already eaten by LKY

His fucking scholar clowns then got the fucking money that they waste on themselves and their fucked up projects.
Anything that can make money started by others will be elbowed aside so that PAP can put their cheebye paper generals and their crony friends and their uncles and aunties and cousins, ALL WITH OUR FUCKING MONEY

HANG ALL THOSE CHEEBYE PAP MAGGOTS COCKROACHES BAGS OF EXCREMENT AND THEIR COLLABORATORS WITH PIANO WIRE IN THE GREAT CLEANSING OF SINGAPORE ONCE LKY IS A FUCKING ROTTING CORPSE

Rodney King

Alfrescian
Loyal
The author obviously has an axe to grind. It is stated that he worked "briefly" for the ST. He obviously got fired for incompetence hence the animosity towards the country that he voluntarily lived in for many years.

If Singapore was as bad as he makes it out to be, why did he move from OZ to SG in the first place? :rolleyes:

Well it’s nearly five years since you wrote that piece of crap about me Leongsam, and I just found it on Sammboy the other day. I recall you wrote the same falsehoods about me on The RealSingapore a few years back before it went defunct. Anyway, better late than never to respond I suppose.
Firstly, I wasn’t sacked from the Straits Times. You can read about my time there and reasons for leaving below.
But before that let’s consider what you said. You claimed that “he obviously got fired for incompetence” etc. Any proof of that Leongsam? No, none. It’s just a lazy assumption on your part. And quite a contemptible one. If you don’t like what I’ve written about Singapore in my book “The Singapore Miracle, Myth and Reality” then criticise the book’s arguments, rather write falsehoods about me. Such tactics are no substitute for reasoned argument which perhaps you don’t have the capacity to mount. Better the cheap smear – and don’t bother whether it’s true or not ay! How pathetic!
Anyway, your claims I’d been sacked also surfaced in August 2017 on Quora, a website infested with pro-PAP Singaporeans. A whole blog thread or articles was devoted to my book (see link below), most attacking it and me. A couple of Singaporean trolls repeated the same shit about me being sacked etc on that thread. Presumably they got it from you. After I savaged them both one had the grace to withdraw his claims about me being sacked etc. But another, a half-literate idiot called Calvin Wong, didn’t. He also referred to me as a “degenerate Expat” and “rubbish” etc. Sort of like your description of me as a “chow Ang Moh you bites the hand that fed him for years.”
Here is my account of my time at The Straits Times which was published in the Quora thread.
My Time at The Straits Times
I began work as a sub-editor on the ST in March 1988 and after completing a 6-month probationary period and was put on regular staff, before resigning in June 1989 and leaving the paper on September 30, 1989.
I was NOT sacked, and there were no "hints" even that I should resign. In fact during my exit interview the then news editor asked me if I wanted to stay on. He even wondered if I could be induced to do so with a salary rise (The ST even gave me quite a positive reference when I Ieft). I do admit though that the news editor's offer did surprise me a little because some people there didn't like me and I never really fitted in. Several times I asked if I could switch to writing articles but was told that I had been hired as a sub-editor and that's what I would remain.
I left the paper of my own accord to finish a book I was writing at that time called Armed Revolution. which was a study of 42 revolutions since the 16th Century. I had accumulated enough money in my CPF account to "buy" the time to do that. But also I wasn't happy at working at the ST which was quite demoralising place to work. There were many unhappy journos and subs working at the ST when I was there. I describe what it was like to work on the paper in my book The Singapore Miracle, Myth and Reality. But I did pull my punches in the book because I had regard for some of the people there.
These are the facts about my time at The Straits Times. They are now online to counter any further lies you and other Singaporean cyber bullies/trolls may write about me to try and discredit me.
……………………………………………………………………………………………
And here is the Quora thread on my book and the attacks on me if anyone’s interested.
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Singapore-such-a-pretentious-country
Finally, Leongsam, you need to follow your own rules on your Sammyboy website. Under the website’s Terms and Rules it says: “You agree to not use the Service to submit … any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful …or … likely to offend”. As an (or the?) administrator for this website one would have thought that you at least would obey these rules etc. You have clearly failed to do so with me!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Well it’s nearly five years since you wrote that piece of crap about me Leongsam, and I just found it on Sammboy the other day. I recall you wrote the same falsehoods about me on The RealSingapore a few years back before it went defunct. Anyway, better late than never to respond I suppose.
Firstly, I wasn’t sacked from the Straits Times. You can read about my time there and reasons for leaving below.
But before that let’s consider what you said. You claimed that “he obviously got fired for incompetence” etc. Any proof of that Leongsam? No, none. It’s just a lazy assumption on your part. And quite a contemptible one. If you don’t like what I’ve written about Singapore in my book “The Singapore Miracle, Myth and Reality” then criticise the book’s arguments, rather write falsehoods about me. Such tactics are no substitute for reasoned argument which perhaps you don’t have the capacity to mount. Better the cheap smear – and don’t bother whether it’s true or not ay! How pathetic!
Anyway, your claims I’d been sacked also surfaced in August 2017 on Quora, a website infested with pro-PAP Singaporeans. A whole blog thread or articles was devoted to my book (see link below), most attacking it and me. A couple of Singaporean trolls repeated the same shit about me being sacked etc on that thread. Presumably they got it from you. After I savaged them both one had the grace to withdraw his claims about me being sacked etc. But another, a half-literate idiot called Calvin Wong, didn’t. He also referred to me as a “degenerate Expat” and “rubbish” etc. Sort of like your description of me as a “chow Ang Moh you bites the hand that fed him for years.”
Here is my account of my time at The Straits Times which was published in the Quora thread.
My Time at The Straits Times
I began work as a sub-editor on the ST in March 1988 and after completing a 6-month probationary period and was put on regular staff, before resigning in June 1989 and leaving the paper on September 30, 1989.
I was NOT sacked, and there were no "hints" even that I should resign. In fact during my exit interview the then news editor asked me if I wanted to stay on. He even wondered if I could be induced to do so with a salary rise (The ST even gave me quite a positive reference when I Ieft). I do admit though that the news editor's offer did surprise me a little because some people there didn't like me and I never really fitted in. Several times I asked if I could switch to writing articles but was told that I had been hired as a sub-editor and that's what I would remain.
I left the paper of my own accord to finish a book I was writing at that time called Armed Revolution. which was a study of 42 revolutions since the 16th Century. I had accumulated enough money in my CPF account to "buy" the time to do that. But also I wasn't happy at working at the ST which was quite demoralising place to work. There were many unhappy journos and subs working at the ST when I was there. I describe what it was like to work on the paper in my book The Singapore Miracle, Myth and Reality. But I did pull my punches in the book because I had regard for some of the people there.
These are the facts about my time at The Straits Times. They are now online to counter any further lies you and other Singaporean cyber bullies/trolls may write about me to try and discredit me.
……………………………………………………………………………………………
And here is the Quora thread on my book and the attacks on me if anyone’s interested.
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Singapore-such-a-pretentious-country
Finally, Leongsam, you need to follow your own rules on your Sammyboy website. Under the website’s Terms and Rules it says: “You agree to not use the Service to submit … any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful …or … likely to offend”. As an (or the?) administrator for this website one would have thought that you at least would obey these rules etc. You have clearly failed to do so with me!

Good to see you back.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no matter how, sg has marketed herself to be not only modern and clean but cheap and good. where in the world can you find cheaper than $6.9 food court meals (including beverage) in the middle of high ses living and glitzy glam? or $69 per shot from an fl hooker in a sexpensive city? or free (open gym) workout and aerobic sexercises when you collect cardboards and or sell tissues from hawker center to hawker center?

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well the only problem with aussies is their pro islam madness. An entire toen has become islamic. No need for concern of caourse

Rodney King

Alfrescian
Loyal

Well the only problem with aussies is their pro islam madness. An entire toen has become islamic. No need for concern of caourse
Sure let's listen to what a white trash has to say.... Did he even look at his own country? Lol

Well, Scrooball, nothing like a racist taunt to get the discussion going. “White trash” is sort of in the same category as chink, wog, nigger, slope etc. isn’t it?
Your esteemed founder-leader LKY coined the white trash term to describe us Aussies back in 1979. Anyway, the prick was called upon to apologise for that term when addressing the Canberra Press Gallery in Australia in 1995. He did apologise and said he didn’t mean to cause offence etc. Not that he had much choice. Singapore than as now has too many defence and business links with Australia to protect and he would have realised this. But it was just a diplomatic apology really. Knowing Lee’s arrogance he would still have thought the same about Australians.
But you ask did I look at my own country. Yes I do Scrooball, quite a lot and the things I see happening in Oz that piss me off in many ways. But then we have a much freer press in Oz and our leaders are regularly roasted and mocked and made to account for themselves. We had a Royal commission recently into the banking and insurance sector which ruthlessly exposed it's malpractices. Banking and insurance company CEOs were savagely questioned and many have resigned.
Would that similar searching inquiries be held into the CPF, the HBD, Temasek and the GIC. No way that would ever happen under the PAP regime. The political fall-out would be immense.
The Big Difference
But also, you see, the big difference between PAP Singapore and Oz is that Australia doesn’t bang on about how great it is all the time like Singapore does, that it’s a model for developing countries to follow and developed countries to draw inspiration from. This is why PAP Singapore attracts so much critical attention from Western writers, especially ones like me who’ve lived in Singapore for about ten years over a 15-year period.
The endless accolades Singapore elicits from assorted ratings agencies and think-tanks in the West, the smug arrogance of the PAP elite about the excellence of “the Singapore Brand” gets a bit tedious after a while . It just goes on and on …. and on. And when you are constantly exposed to the fact that Singapore is not that efficient or cutting edge most of the time; that the average Singaporean is not very well off etc as I describe in some detail in my book The Singapore Miracle, Myth and Reality. The gap between reality of life in Singapore and the PAP bullshit about the place becomes nauseating.
Anyway, so many Singaporeans believe all this crap about their country and get quite nasty towards foreigners like me, particularly if they’re Aussies. For many Singaporeans their country is the best and an example for the world to follow. This is perhaps understandable when they have had someone like LKY espousing and legitimising such attitudes.
LKY-Inspired Arrogance
Singaporeans’ sense of superiority was embodied in Lee who felt free to condemn, criticise and offer unsolicited advice to other countries and peoples he felt weren’t up to the mark.
Besides insulting Australians with his white trash comments, Lee, since the 1960s, had repeatedly insulted and belittled the Malaysians, Thais, Filipinos and Indians. He has mocked their intelligence and capacity for hard work and “discipline” (a major Lee obsession) and their inefficiencies.
Unfortunately, many Singaporeans have acquired Lee’s attitudes towards their neighbours, ensuring that Singapore has few real friends in Asia. As Straits Times columnist Koh Buck Song lamented, “the Republic’s uninviting reputation for arrogance and self-righteousness“ which some Singaporeans fear “is already entrenched in the minds of too many outsiders”
Ratings-driven Hubris
But besides the Lee factor many Singaporeans sense of superiority has been bolstered by the endless international praise for its nation-building achievements, real and mythical, for decades especially since the 1990s. When the world keeps telling you how great you and your country are it’s not surprising if you think you’re the best.
My book The Singapore Miracle, Myth and Reality describes and critically assesses the torrents of praise Singapore has been getting from a long list of international ratings agencies and think-tanks for the last couple of decades.
Singapore’s successes, real and mythical, are lauded by such ratings bodies who represent the neo-liberal globalisation fraternity whose agendas Singapore eagerly serves. Chief among such bodies are the Institute for Management Development (IMD) and the World Economic Forum (WEF). Both give Singapore top rankings for economic competitiveness while the Business Environment Risk Intelligence (BERI) lauds the quality of Singapore’s workforce with its rankings. Such ratings’ successes create the impression that the city-state is a super-efficient powerhouse economy with a first-class workforce.
Besides rankings relating to Singapore’s supposed efficiency and cutting-edge excellence the city-state has also scored top marks for transparency by Transparency International (TI) while such conservative US think-tanks as the Heritage Foundation (HF) and the Cato Institute (CI) give the city-state similar rankings for economic freedom.
Mention must also be made of the global accolades bestowed on Singapore’s education system. Singapore regularly scores top rankings in the student achievements tests conducted by PISA (Program for International Student Assessment) and TIMSS (Trends in the International Mathematics and Science) as my latest book Singapore’s Education System, Myth and Reality describes in some detail.
Moreover, the country’s schooling methods have evoked choruses of praise from assorted Western think-tanks, educators, and educationists along with presidents, prime ministers and ministers of education.

Not What It Seems

While Singapore may be depicted as a brilliant nation-building success, an oasis of First World cutting-edge efficiency by numerous ratings bodies, the truth is somewhat different. The Singapore Miracle identifies Singapore’s many systemic inefficiencies at both macro-economic and micro-economic levels. These are reflected in low capital and labour productivity levels. The book identifies significant inefficiencies in such economic sectors as construction, the banking and investment industries and the service sector. It also critically assesses the exalted global reputation of such Singaporean icons as Singapore Airlines. SIA constantly wins international awards for the world’s best airline etc despite its service, safety and other deficiencies.
Moreover, the book examines the workforce and managerial inefficiencies. It shows that Singaporean workplaces abound with mediocre managers and demoralised employees.
Singaporean bosses were deemed “uncommunicative, unappreciative and bureaucratic” by their workers, according to one Straits Times poll. Meanwhile, Singaporean employees display minimal job commitment, readiness to job-hop, lack of initiative and education and job-skill deficiencies, according to many local and international surveys. But all this is hidden by sky-high BERI-type rankings for Singapore’s workforce.
Again the top scores that TI awards Singapore for transparency are absurd. The Singapore Miracle reveals the Singapore state as deeply opaque, like all authoritarian regimes. Accessing official data the Government doesn’t want released is very difficult as shown in Garry Rodan’s Transparency and Authoritarian Rule in Southeast Asia.
Also, the high rankings that the HF and the CI award Singapore for economic freedom are ludicrous when one considers that large state-owned of controlled (government-linked companies) dominate the domestic economy to the detriment of the local private sector. The former enjoy enormous state-bestowed advantages, including access to easy credit and the local market, which cramp the freedom of small and medium business especially. Also, the freedom of labour to fight for better pay and conditions is very restricted.
Moreover, Singapore’s high PISA/TIMSS rankings for its education system are questionable. They cover up the severe flaws of a pressure-cooker, exam-driven education system which kills creativity, the desire to learn and intellectual curiosity, as Singapore’s Education System, Myth and Reality reveals. While foreign fans of this education system believe it’s one the world should follow the opposite would be more true. Singapore-style schooling is something other countries should avoid if they want to foster the innovative mindsets so important to the post-industrial 21st century economy.
Why So Inaccurate and Misleading?
This question must be asked about Singapore’s numerous and dubiously high rankings which a horde of rating bodies have been awarding Singapore for virtually every nation-building achievement and attribute since the 1990s. (But conspicuously excluding measures for freedom of the press and respect for human rights etc). There are two main reasons for this:
A. Flawed Methodologies: The defective procedures ratings bodies are exposed when conducting their surveys become most apparent when assessing their rankings for such countries as Singapore.
A central problem international ranking bodies face is ensuring the integrity of the information collected. They must rely on local authorities and agencies to do this for them to keep down surveys costs. In many countries ratings bodies must rely on state or state-aligned organisations to gather and collate the data for their rankings. And this has certainly been so in Singapore. The IMD has relied on such government organisations as the Ministry of Trade while the WEF has used the Economic Development Board.
However, as American political scientist Christopher Lingle noted when commenting on the high growth rates of East Asian economies, “the supporting data are often supplied on a tightly controlled and selective basis by the governments themselves”. And because such data cannot be corroborated by independent agencies it “should be treated with healthy scepticism,” he said.
Moreover, with authoritarian states like Singapore the state’s political agendas always take precedence over the release of any information that could discredit its policies or rule. This has been demonstrated by the Peoples’Action Party (PAP) government’s ruthless control of official data for political ends, as The Singapore Miracle shows.
B. Serving MNC and Neo-liberal Agendas:
Singapore has always been a poster girl for foreign capital and the globalisation agendas of the neo-liberal movement. Singapore’s open-door policies towards foreign enterprises and the international banking community has made it a darling of the neo-liberal movement. Such PAP government policies as tight control of unions, pro-business hire and fire laws, low corporate taxes and other concessions, especially for MNCs, fits the neo-liberal requirements of foreign capital. Policies like these have ensured that Singapore gets top rankings from the IMD, WEF, the HF, the CI and TI (among others) who are all driven by neo-liberal agendas. Their rankings are based on criteria which mostly reflect such agendas. Thus countries like Singapore who would most fully serve these agendas will invariably score much higher than countries that don’t.
The Selling of Singapore
Behind Singapore’s high rankings is a very determined authoritarian state obsessed with selling Singapore to the world. Singapore’s PAP rulers decided long ago that they must endlessly promote their city-state to the world as a hospitable haven for foreign capital, especially after separation from Malaysia in 1965, if Singapore was to survive and prosper as an independent country. And they have succeeded brilliantly with the help of compliant ratings agencies and shoals of gullible foreign journalists and academics. They have readily believed PAP nation-building claims and were too lazy or inept to examine how much truth there was to them.
The real Singapore miracle has been to comprehensively con the world into believing that Singapore is a far greater success than it really is.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey youre barkjng up the wrongbtree pal. I wil be the first to call this shithole a shithole. But your takjng of middle easterb muslims is madness

A Singaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why is Ho Ching’s salary a state secret while the PM’s salary is not ? Is her salary if revealed will pose a security threat ? Or more to do with the fact that she is grossly overpaid ?