• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Aussie author: SG is all marketing and hot air

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But the Lion City became heavily dependent on foreign capital while state enterprises focused on infrastructure and "nation-building concerns".

Entrepreneurial and innovative capacities have suffered because of a lack of domestic competition and the predominance of state bodies. Public servants running state boards often have little experience of the private sector "and no idea how to run a business", King and other analysts say.

"The local private sector, normally the seedbed of innovation in most market economies, is stunted and starved of venture capital," King writes. "The country's capacity for indigenous research and development and entrepreneurial and innovative endeavours remains limited.

"Heavy state control of the economy is exercised through an extensive layer of state enterprises. The state imposes this control through layers of red tape.

"The government also manages a big chunk of the people's savings through forced savings � and owns 72 per cent of the city-state's land. Moreover, the government controls the unions and most of the labour force. Equally mythical are Singapore's claims to being transparent. Nothing could be more untrue. The operations of Singapore's government and bureaucracy are swathed in secrecy."

King counters claims of high home-ownership levels, saying 86 per cent of Singaporeans rent government flats from the Housing Development Board on 99-year leases.

The author is provocative but very thorough. Every aspect of life in the city-state is analysed in detail.

- http://therealsingapore.com/content/bangkok-independent-newspaper-singapore-lion-without-teeth

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I find the comments of that article rather amusing. Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon agreeing with the article. I wonder if any of them realize that they basically admitted to being overpaid

GoldenPeriod

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's all bullshit. You think a city nation of this size can really come out with so many scholars who are mighty generals and great administrators who have helicopter vision? :biggrin:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aussie author just realised it. I realised it 3 decades ago.

Lots of angmo, especially the yanks and brits think too highly of sinkapore. And they worship LKY as the expert on China and Asia. All the LKY screw-ups are swept under the carpet and foreign press keep thinking that LKY is god.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
I find the comments of that article rather amusing. Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon agreeing with the article. I wonder if any of them realize that they basically admitted to being overpaid

hello kopi....how are u? :biggrin:. wear protective buffer ok...:biggrin:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"About 30 per cent of the population still lives in poverty by Western living standards," he says. And Singapore's Housing Development Board, Central Provident Fund and state-run health schemes have severe shortcomings.

Overpaid? :rolleyes: :kma:

jw5

Loyal
The only people who are being overpaid are SG Ministars and the Subservient Family Butler.

Everybody else is underpaid.

LOL ............. LOL

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lots of angmo, especially the yanks and brits think too highly of sinkapore. And they worship LKY as the expert on China and Asia. All the LKY screw-ups are swept under the carpet and foreign press keep thinking that LKY is god.

LKY is over-rated. Too clever by half at times. Should learn to be humble. Hope to see him stand at next GE to suffer loss of his GRC. Therafter, he can report to other world.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY is over-rated. Too clever by half at times. Should learn to be humble. Hope to see him stand at next GE to suffer loss of his GRC. Therafter, he can report to other world.

I think the word is arrogant. He proclaims to be pro chinese yet he is patient zero of the fake angmoh syndrome, or Harry's disease as they named it. But he cannot claim all the credit. The cocksuckers promoted him to a godlike status. Korea has nothing on them when it comes to fanaticism

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who is the author? I'm sure LKY & company would like to sue them :biggrin:

The author(s) must know that. Maybe that is why the piece is uncredited:wink:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The author obviously has an axe to grind. It is stated that he worked "briefly" for the ST. He obviously got fired for incompetence hence the animosity towards the country that he voluntarily lived in for many years.

If Singapore was as bad as he makes it out to be, why did he move from OZ to SG in the first place? :rolleyes:

King is a Perth journalist who lived in Singapore for a number of years and worked briefly at the Straits Times.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So it's a book & not just an article. Do you know if the book is available at the National Library:confused:

Apparently, it's available at Level 11 of the National Library at Bugis - the Lee Kong Chian Reference Library.

For reference only, cannot borrow out of the library.

Last edited: