• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Microsoft 365 - what's that?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Saw in internet that there is a thing known as Microsift 365, read its a cloud based MS-Office. How doe sit wotk? Is it wort paying for?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's just like Google Docs, except that Microsoft gives you a crippled version and you'll need to pay money for the full version.

And by paying money I mean subscription: every month pay money. It's not a one time payment.

I say: to hell with Office 365, older offline versions of Microsoft Office are good enough. If you want to make online spreadsheets, use Google Docs.

Besides, if you are making some confidential documents, putting them online is foolish.

Lastly, Microsoft wants you to use its own cloud: Skydrive (now called Onedrive). Not any cloud.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
It's just like Google Docs, except that Microsoft gives you a crippled version and you'll need to pay money for the full version.

And by paying money I mean subscription: every month pay money. It's not a one time payment.

I say: to hell with Office 365, older offline versions of Microsoft Office are good enough. If you want to make online spreadsheets, use Google Docs.

Besides, if you are making some confidential documents, putting them online is foolish.

Lastly, Microsoft wants you to use its own cloud: Skydrive (now called Onedrive). Not any cloud.

Thank you laksaboy. I guess having Office in my Mac should be good enough.

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Saw in internet that there is a thing known as Microsift 365, read its a cloud based MS-Office. How doe sit wotk? Is it wort paying for?

Starhub is giving it free for 2 years with any corporate mobile line - new or recontract. Basic version of course. =D

But as mentioned by laksaboy, this is chargeable monthly. $7 for basic version, $17 for plus version with MS-Office access for mobile.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank you laksaboy. I guess having Office in my Mac should be good enough.

I use Apache Open office because it is free & works on a Mac.

Many people don't really need all the power in Excel, Word,.... I would be surprised if anyone today is willing to pay so much. They probably go to MBK to get a bootleg copy.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
laksaboy's explanation is not wholly correct.

Office 365 home premium allows you full download of entire office suite and use it offline on 5 devices. So your subscription actually gives you access to both online version, as well entire office suite software.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
laksaboy's explanation is not wholly correct.

Office 365 home premium allows you full download of entire office suite and use it offline on 5 devices. So your subscription actually gives you access to both online version, as well entire office suite software.

The key word is 'subscription', and our disdain for selling software as a subscription service.

The fact is that Microsoft was desperate to get people to switch over from Apple and Android mobile devices to Windows phones and tablets.

Office was identified as an exclusive 'killer app' that might persuade users, especially the business users, to switch over. A lot of effort was spent to market this point (and to bash Google Docs).

When that failed horribly, Microsoft relented and started porting Office to Android. :rolleyes:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
What benefit do you get from MS 365? These days you bring your own device, BYOD, to work and plug in to the company network. Can charge the bill to your company. Saves the company quite a bit of hardware and software and expect you to upgrade your device, UGYOD.

You can use MS 365 in your own Home PC or Ipad, or tampon pad and so on. For that subscription is worth it, consider you have to buy duplicate same MS Office for each hardware you have. I think these days is web based MS Office and has to turn on internet to use. It is MS ways of preventing pirate copies. In fact many software are sold this way, gones are the day of pirate copies.

Hope this help.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Thank you guys. I just went to MS' Singapore website and it shows the thing costs S$99

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
to use google document and spreadsheet you have to go online, I dont know about using offline but I think use Chrome can do it offline.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
ask your company they can absorb this bill and you BYOD to work?

I started using MS 365 already, nom complaint so far.

Thank you guys. I just went to MS' Singapore website and it shows the thing costs S$99

Last edited:

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal

It's a Jewish thing. Like the InfP in sammyboy. Monthly payment....... What a crock!

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can't say good or bad... but I think comparing between paying full price for a standalone MS Office s/w and paying subscription for MS Office 365, the office 365 seems to make more sense.

However, if comparing between a pirate copy of MS Office and subscription for Office 365 ... nothing more to say... :rolleyes:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can't say good or bad... but I think comparing between paying full price for a standalone MS Office s/w and paying subscription for MS Office 365, the office 365 seems to make more sense.

However, if comparing between a pirate copy of MS Office and subscription for Office 365 ... nothing more to say... :rolleyes:

Even without considering piracy, what's the point of upgrading to Office 365 when you already have Office 2007 or Office 2010?

And what is the justification for giving money every month for productivity software?

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
your England orso si bei aw. See in red.

Joke aside.

You may have to pay for MS cloud storage per year too.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even without considering piracy, what's the point of upgrading to Office 365 when you already have Office 2007 or Office 2010?

And what is the justification for giving money every month for productivity software?

I am still using office 2007 on my PC machine & Mac Office on my Mac Machine 2008...I do not see any reason to upgrade, unless I am on some projects that needed the features that the needed them & that involves others. But now, I am working alone...so Office 2007 & Mac Office 2008 is more than enough......

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
agree. If you have 2010, it is good enough. But for Office 2007 or Office 2003 it is good to upgrade to Office 2013.

Last year there was an offer to buy Office 2010 and get free Office 2013 included.

I took the gamble and it paid off. I have 2003, 2010 and 2013 in my PC. For PC crash, I loaded 2010 and get 2013 as well.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unless, you want to work on Pc and ipad or Window surface, you can switch around and it become portable using Office 365. It is a choice until you need the services.

I am still using office 2007 on my PC machine & Mac Office on my Mac Machine 2008...I do not see any reason to upgrade, unless I am on some projects that needed the features that the needed them & that involves others. But now, I am working alone...so Office 2007 & Mac Office 2008 is more than enough......