• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Religion getting in the way of filial piety

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://therealsingapore.com/content/religion-getting-way-filial-piety

My husband’s grandmother died recently at the age of 91. The last couple of years were difficult as she was bedridden and fading day by day.

Certainly, she lived a fruitful life, with five children, multiple grandchildren and several great-grandchildren.

According to her wishes, the funeral arrangements followed Taoist tradition. This involved elaborate prayers, processions and folding thousands of paper ingots to send her on a comfortable journey to the afterlife. With that many offspring, one would have expected all hands on deck.

What materialised seemed to be a reflection of changing times and narrow beliefs. Several of her offspring have adopted other religions and refused to participate in any of the Taoist ceremonies, including the folding of paper ingots.

I find this a strange phenomenon. Surely, what matters must be the wishes of the deceased, rather than the beliefs of the living?

As more Singaporeans become well-travelled, no one has qualms about visiting religious landmarks, such as the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, St Peter’s Basilica at the Vatican and the Tiger’s Nest monastery in Bhutan. In fact, many plan to visit these landmarks.

As we progress in this society, we must remain tolerant of all beliefs.

Using religion as an excuse to distance oneself from religious ceremonies for a loved one seems to be a practice of double standards and the start of an intolerant approach.

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does that mean Jesus will send christians to hell for the act of folding of paper ingots. :rolleyes:

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ai yah people not comfortable cannot anyhow force people want mah. Like that where got tolerance? If you are not comitted can the result be good? In fact arguments may ensue.

and outsiders should also stop being so busybody as to what families are deciding themselves.

if a particular religion is not democratic, how good can it be?

worship or not to worship should be up to individuals. I think Taoists are losing people because they are damn freaking stubborn.

do so much for fish? What a waste of money and so not environmentally unfriendly. People already died. Should have done more before that person is alive. Like calling visiting and saying hi to grandma once in a while. That is true filial piety.

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
This, to me is a major flaw of most religions - they separate people. For the sake of respect to others, religions should overlook some of their own beliefs or practices and yield to ther faiths especially on sombre occassions and if it is only for that one time.

Cheers!

Using religion as an excuse to distance oneself from religious ceremonies for a loved one seems to be a practice of double standards and the start of an intolerant approach.

Kinanna

Alfrescian
Loyal
I witnessed an interesting incident whereby a Christian missionary came to my friend's(catholic) home and told him he's going to hell. The whole thing became one saying the other will go to hell. All things said if anyone or everyone is right we all see each other in hell.
God almighty save us all I pray.