• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Good to work for Japanese company?

Administrator

Alfrescian
Loyal
My nephew is thinking of applying for a job in Toshiba. Anyone know people inside? Is working for Japanese company good? Heard that japanese are workaholic but do they expect the same in Singapore? I found a review on them and it is very positive but recently got Japanese company retrenching so he is rather scared.

340Toshiba_TEC.png

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Japanese company is more rigid and hierarchical, maybe slightly less perks than American or European companies, but they are the last to let go of employees in bad times.

Anything is better than working for SMEs and local towkays with cheapskate mentality. :cool:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Japanese company is more rigid and hierarchical, maybe slightly less perks than American or European companies, but they are the last to let go of employees in bad times.

Anything is better than working for SMEs and local towkays with cheapskate mentality. :cool:

+1 agree, although retrenchment is rife these days, chances of being let go in Japanese company is less than local and US, European MNCs.

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If it's Toshiba consumer electronics section, I don' think they are doing well these day.
Not many people buy their products these days.

Alfrescian
Loyal
A friend's husband working in JAL told me that in recent year JAL brings in many Japs who were redundant in Japan to work in Singapore. They gave them a status as Executive for EP purposes but actually they are doing non executive jobs.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Executives Cannot go home before the boss. Lucky nowadays no more drinking sessions on a daily basis.weekend, golf with boss. Not expected to take holidays.
But one japanese, in KL decided to go local and easy peasy.says he may not be able to work like a jap anymore.

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
the worst is to work in a jap MNC with sinkie bosses, my boss then, a mr tang yew keong, i remembered was terrified that i may bypass him and discourage me by telling me(in a intimidating manner) that japs like to be served. that was only my 2nd day of work. imho, can join and learn things from them but be prepared for lots of politicking.

Last edited:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
evry morning got exercise ...

evry evening, gotta wayang as u r xpected 2 stay until ur boss leave ...

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
had a few friends working in Jap firms:

Rule #1
if you are not Japanese, forget about promotion and senior mgt. U can work until cows come home...they will deploy a young chap from Japan to shit on your head. In fact, this is true for all MNC, except Singaporean firm who will hire FT to shit on your head instead of promoting you.

Rule#2
if you are a lady, worse...you have no status in the company, relegated to coffee lady...maybe its not shown outwardly but definitely telling during appraisal.

Rule #3
they have strict rules & protocol...eg: all will sit at a long table, no cubicle no screens...so if you wanna surf sammyboy during office hours, think twice.

Rule #4
If you lucky in position to entertain clients, ho say liao..my fren in private banking, sibeh ho...every friday go cheong japanese KTV with boss...n you noe...Japanese KTV are the cream of cream...best part, company pick up tab....

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rule #3
they have strict rules & protocol...eg: all will sit at a long table, no cubicle no screens...so if you wanna surf sammyboy during office hours, think twice.

in a typical, traditional, rigid jap conglomerate or zaibatsu, yes. your seating position at the collection of desks in an office will determine your pecking order in the team's hierarchy. for example in a team of 8, team leader or manager sits at one end with his desk facing everyone on the team and back to the window, if any. 3 will sit facing the other 3 alongside manager's desk. and finally each team gets graced by a young office lady sitting on the opposite end of the 8-desk arrangement, facing the boss. the office lady is in the best position to surf sammyboy. :p

Capano2121

Alfrescian
Loyal
A friend's husband working in JAL told me that in recent year JAL brings in many Japs who were redundant in Japan to work in Singapore. They gave them a status as Executive for EP purposes but actually they are doing non executive jobs.

Their dumbest nincompoop will still be your boss even if you have been the highest sales achiever in the company for the last twenty years! And there's no such as a extraordinary achievement amounting to a immediate payrise & promotion, this only come at a regulated time frame set by the HQ in Japan! And most of your hardwork goes to maintaining their perks as expatriate! And yes they will lord over you even though they know the dept will will die without you & the new transfer will find all & any means to try to get rid of you as the first thing they will do when they touch down at Changi airport! So working for jerkpenis firm ho boh?

king_of_abalone

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good leh jap company

I knew two guys who worked for japs

One became the prime minister of a small country

The other became the president

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
had a few friends working in Jap firms:

Rule #1
if you are not Japanese, forget about promotion and senior mgt. U can work until cows come home...they will deploy a young chap from Japan to shit on your head. In fact, this is true for all MNC, except Singaporean firm who will hire FT to shit on your head instead of promoting you.

Rule#2
if you are a lady, worse...you have no status in the company, relegated to coffee lady...maybe its not shown outwardly but definitely telling during appraisal.

Rule #3

Rule #4
If you lucky in position to entertain clients, ho say liao..my fren in private banking, sibeh ho...every friday go cheong japanese KTV with boss...n you noe...Japanese KTV are the cream of cream...best part, company pick up tab....

True case for Rule #1:
Promotion to senior management post is possible if the current senior manager of yours is a local boss and he is in favor of you.
You will need to be an apprentice of the current senior manager and he will be giving you a lot of career guidance.
He will give you all the praises and credits of your capabilities right in front of those Japanese senior managers.
When the time comes for the current senior manager to retire or if he got "let go" due to downsizing, you will be the next be promoted
to a senior manager post even if you are not good in doing sales in the department.