• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just saw a property ad put up for rental of 1045 sqft, 3bdrm, 2baths condo near Bukit Indah.

RM1,600 a month only! Is this typical of the rental expected in Johor and Medini in general? Not even sure if there is any tenant taking it up.

That works out to be about S$575 a month. It's less than half my monthly bank mortgage.

That's the fear I have about holding on to my Iskandar property currently still under construction. If rental is really that low, I think better keep for own stay or give up at loss now or suffer much worse losses in future?

Last edited:

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quite a few years ago my friend was renting a HH landed terrace house @ RM 700. Double storey. Gated and Guarded. Include maintainence.

Just saw a property ad put up for rental of 1045 sqft, 3bdrm, 2baths condo near Bukit Indah.

RM1,600 a month only! Is this typical of the rental expected in Johor and Medini in general? Not even sure if there is any tenant taking it up.

That works out to be about S$575 a month. It's less than half my monthly bank mortgage.

That's the fear I have about holding on to my Iskandar property currently still under construction. If rental is really that low, I think better keep for own stay or give up at loss now or suffer much worse losses in future?

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

Just curious, what property did you buy, that cost > RM 3.2k monthly mortgage?

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just curious, what property did you buy, that cost > RM 3.2k monthly mortgage?

I'm taking 25 yrs loan. It's probably the relatively high Malaysian bank interest rate that's why. Not even including the possibility of a interest hike in the next half year or so.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm taking 25 yrs loan. It's probably the relatively high Malaysian bank interest rate that's why. Not even including the possibility of a interest hike in the next half year or so.

Oh you really should take 30 yrs for investment properties.... anyway single storey terraces (ungated) are going at RM1k now for gd locations, so prices have risen a fair bit from previously.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Still with regards to the original purchase price it's still very low. The yields are horrendous.
Can hardly cover interest repayment
Malaysia govt has gotten into this situation through lax borrowing rules that's artificially boosting the prices of homes.
It'll take some time before this can be digested and sanity resumed.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is flash flood and in certain country, they called this "ponding".
Actually this Jalan Wong Ah Fook is only about 1/2 km from the Straits and is at least about 2m above sea level so it should not flood.
The flood was caused by a sudden heavy downpour made worse by the partial closure of the canal beside the road which is currently undergoing upgrading work with lots of hoarding all over.
Perhaps the contractor also did not provide adequate provision for proper drainage or it was simply poor housekeeping and site management that blocked the rainwater to discharge into the Straits quick enough, causing the flood.
When the canal upgrade is completed, hopefully without the usual delay by month and sometimes years for public projects, the "ponding" will probably cease.

Relaxman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Flooding or ponding, ultimately Suasana condo value goes downhill..... wonder who would risk to buy a condo at this type of place.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
errr RM 700 a month is normal during that time. Some Gelang Patah landed houses were rented out @ RM 500 a month. No joke. So RM 1500 a month to me is a lot.

Yah, I know what you mean. It may be a lot from Johor's property context. But from an investment perspective, especially from countries with much stronger currencies like Singapore, it is not worth it at all. Which explains the very negative news floating around investing in Iskandar properties now.

Last edited:

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guess that's the reality.
Most of the high rentals should be due to expats.
But for locals is unlikely to be able fetch much higher rates especially given the amount that houses are asking for now.
It's not good from an investment point of view

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Before all the big hoo-haa I am already advising all friends around me to steer clear from those condos built by developers "just to utilise the space"..

Eg along Bukit Indah those condos supply are massive and I just don't think one can make money. For own stay it is superb investment because you will never never never be able to buy a 3 bedroom condo @ S$200,000 in Singapore ever again.

Yah, I know what you mean. It may be a lot from Johor's property context. But from an investment perspective, especially from countries with much stronger currencies like Singapore, it is not worth it at all. Which explains the very negative news floating around investing in Iskandar properties now.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Before all the big hoo-haa I am already advising all friends around me to steer clear from those condos built by developers "just to utilise the space"..

Eg along Bukit Indah those condos supply are massive and I just don't think one can make money. For own stay it is superb investment because you will never never never be able to buy a 3 bedroom condo @ S$200,000 in Singapore ever again.

Actually a Singapore agent painted me a different story when he tried to sell me a condo near Bukit Indah. He said the amenities are already developed and the traffic going there is strong. So it's more likely to find immediate rentals there. Compared to say Medini, where it is under construction, little activity, and there are also tons of condos built there.

What's your view on Medini?

Viewing the bigger picture, now that we have more data, info and news, I feel Iskandar properties generally are already overpriced/overvalued by Malaysia's standard. Of course, compared to Singapore's, they are still cheaper.

Properties in Iskandar were hot back in 2013 was due to the cooling measures introduced by the SG government which made many unable to invest in SG properties, and that the property prices here have gone up too high for comfort. That's the reason why Malaysian developers also dared to price their properties much higher than typically what Johor condos would cost. Without the SG cooling measures, buyers would likely not consider buying Iskandar properties for investment given all the conditions that exist in Iskandar which make an investment there high risk and uncertain.

Plus the fragile and unstable politics going on in Malaysia now (as it has been in the past many years), we don't know what is in store. Can't imagine what developers would do to the many unsold properties in Iskandar. Even my Malaysian friends say not to count too much on the HSR and other developments. Expect lots of delays, hoo-hahs, and maybe even construction stopping for some reasons.

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Iskandar property cooling down
Saturday, 1 August 2015
By: NG BEI SHAN

ASK any developer or real estate agent about the Iskandar region and they’ll tell you that the property “heat” in Johor has cooled down. But that was from a high base some two years back.

That time, high-profile land deals had hogged the limelight from time to time and developers were busy launching projects in different areas of the Iskandar region. Any developer with Johor exposure would get investors’ attention.

Now, the “rush” has come down significantly.

“Growth has to normalise. It’s only natural that the growth is gradual,” a player says.

Buying interest is dependent on the property type, area and pricing.

For instance, industrial properties are still gaining traction from manufacturers. Singaporean companies looking to expand their factories or operations would consider Johor due to the proximity and pricing.

Among the property types in Johor, the industrial type saw the highest growth in the number of transactions for the first quarter of 2015 compared to the same quarter last year at 51.8%. Quarter-on-quarter (q-o-q), the number jumped 16%. Another area of growth is commercial properties, which added 6% year-on-year (y-o-y) and 10% q-o-q, data from the National Property Information Centre showed.

On the other hand, residential units fell 9% y-o-y and 6.8% q-o-q, while development land declined the most at 27.8% y-o-y and 8% q-o-q.

In total, the number of property transactions in Johor for the quarter slid 6.2% compared to a year earlier and fell 4% compared to the previous quarter.

“Even though the sale of residential units has slowed down, it should be able to hold up because of the industrial activities there,” an observer points out.

Compared with Penang and Kuala Lumpur, Johor fared better in the first quarter of this year. The number of transactions in Penang fell 12% y-o-y and 18% q-o-q. In Kuala Lumpur, the number dipped 9.7% y-o-y and 23% q-o-q.

Among the few hot spots, only Selangor did better, with a slight growth of 2% compared with last year and a decrease of 4.5% compared with the previous quarter.

Maybank Investment Bank Research analyst Wong Wei Sum tells StarBizWeek that the weaker ringgit had spurred some Singaporeans to buy property in Johor.

“Most of the high-rise projects have seen slower take-up rates due to the supply, but there are exceptions. One example is PPB Group Bhd’s condominiums, which have seen very good take-up from Singaporean buyers,” she says. To be noted is that PPB Group’s Southern Marina project is also priced attractively at RM950 per square foot (psf) compared with the average RM1,000 psf in the vicinity.

Another project that has seen brisk sales is Eco World Development Group Bhd’s project in Kota Masai, with a strong take-up rate of about 80% for the non-bumiputra lots.

“The project is targeted at locals and priced reasonably at around RM500,000 (20x70 sq ft),” she explains.

In Kota Masai, another big developer, Mah Sing Group Bhd, is going to launch 396 units of landed houses priced from RM330,000 with a size of 18x65 sq ft.

That said, there is a general downtrend in terms of pricing, transaction value and numbers in the southern state, Wong says.

The Singaporean government has told its people to be “wary” about the Johor property market due to an oversupply of houses, according to reports from the city state.

“That might reduce Singaporeans’ appetite for Johor properties,” says an observer.

Exquisite Mode Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of United Malayan Land Bhd, has launched Suasana Iskandar in the Johor Baru city centre (JBCC). Of the 343 units of serviced apartments for sale, about 150 units are sold. Since then, sales have hit a plateau. Selling prices for the serviced apartments range from RM1,100 psf to RM1,200 psf.

Exquisite Mode head Ken Ng concedes that the uncertainties in the country have held buyers back from taking up units.

“But we are quick to turn around to boost sales. We’ve changed our business model and provide options for buyers to meet what they need,” he says.

The company will help owners lease and manage their units or if they choose to hold the units long term, they can get a 6% yield guarantee for a few years.

He says JBCC’s multi-billion transformation plan will change the façade of the city and that will enhance the value of properties there.

“The local Government has stopped approving residential units to be built on commercial land in this area. That means our serviced apartments would be one of the few around here,” he adds.

In general, observers note that people are still interested in buying property, but the banks are very stringent in releasing mortgage loans.

“We get a warm response for housing projects and receive big numbers of bookings, but too bad that many of the loan applications are rejected,” says a property agent.

Some of the more conservative players will put some of the development projects on hold or modify their original plans to adapt to the slowdown.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/.../01/Iskandar-property-cooling-down/?style=biz

Relaxman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last year, DBKL already openly blamed the developer for flash floods in KL. This year is JB turn.....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developers main culprits of flash floods, DBKL says
BY ALEXANDER WINIFRED

KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 7 — Land clearing caused by intensive development in the city has been pinpointed as one of the main culprits in the recent spate of flash floods.

Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) civil engineering and drainage department director Tan Keng Chok told Malay Mail that land clearing for development had caused the surface run-off coefficient to increase, causing drains in the city to overflow.

“In the past, rainwater would be absorbed by the tree roots that covered the landscape, but now, the trees have been cut down.” he said.

“Those carrying out projects have a responsibility to maintain their drains.”

Tan said global climate change had caused rainfall density to increase by as much as 20 per cent this year, which posed a problem as Kuala Lumpur was located on low land and “prone to floods”.

“The current drainage system was designed a long time ago and its existing capacity cannot cope with the high density of rainfall,” he said.

Tan said the department was identifying black spots around the city that were most susceptible to flooding, and focusing upgrade work on those areas.

So far, he said at least five black spots have been identified and drain upgrading projects have been undertaken to alleviate the flooding issue.

Two drainage projects have already begun at Jalan Chan Sow Lin and Kampung Dato’ Keramat with the projects costing RM3.8 million and RM8 million respectively.

The work at Jalan Chan Sow Lin started on July 15 and is expected to be completed by November 2015.

“It is a tough job because upgrading the drain requires the contractors to clear the rocks in the area and perform underground pipe jacking,” Tan said.

At Kampung Dato’ Keramat, construction will begin on October 15, on a new monsoon drain because the current installation was inadequate.

Two drain-capacity extension projects were being finalised at Taman Petaling, Kepong and Jalan Cheras near the Mass Rapid Transit construction site, expected to cost RM5 million and RM6 million respectively.

Monsoon drain upgrades were being planned at Jalan Setia Bestari, Bukit Damansara and Jalan Duta, although costs have yet to be confirmed.

Tan said a RM10 million drainage tunnel was under construction from Jalan Duta which would carry rainwater through Jalan Bangsar to Sungai Klang. “This tunnel is being built alongside a vehicular tunnel, which also begins in Jalan Duta,” he said.

City Hall director-general Datuk Mohd Amin Aziz said a task force was set up last Friday to serve as an immediate response team to flood emergencies in the city centre. It comprised officers from City Hall Enforcement Department, assisted by officials from the Department of Irrigation and Drainage (DID) and the Meteorological Department (MET).

“The DID and MET will provide us with data regarding rainfall density and times to expect rain,” Mohd Amin said. The task force is divided into three teams — a 20-man reconnaissance squad, a 40-man rescue squad equipped with boats and multipurpose vehicles and a 40-man emergency squad.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone has any updates on Medini Gleneagles?

The last I was informed, they were supposed to open in July. But I was trying to search for more info today online. Seems like there is no news at all. Have they opened already?

Thanks.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually a Singapore agent painted me a different story when he tried to sell me a condo near Bukit Indah. He said the amenities are already developed and the traffic going there is strong. So it's more likely to find immediate rentals there. Compared to say Medini, where it is under construction, little activity, and there are also tons of condos built there.

Most people will tell you that there are two types of salesperson you should never trust their words wholeheartedly, a used car dealer and a property agent.

ZigZag

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last year, DBKL already openly blamed the developer for flash floods in KL. This year is JB turn.....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developers main culprits of flash floods, DBKL says
BY ALEXANDER WINIFRED

KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 7 — Land clearing caused by intensive development in the city has been pinpointed as one of the main culprits in the recent spate of flash floods.

Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) civil engineering and drainage department director Tan Keng Chok told Malay Mail that land clearing for development had caused the surface run-off coefficient to increase, causing drains in the city to overflow.

“In the past, rainwater would be absorbed by the tree roots that covered the landscape, but now, the trees have been cut down.” he said.

“Those carrying out projects have a responsibility to maintain their drains.”

Tan said global climate change had caused rainfall density to increase by as much as 20 per cent this year, which posed a problem as Kuala Lumpur was located on low land and “prone to floods”.

“The current drainage system was designed a long time ago and its existing capacity cannot cope with the high density of rainfall,” he said.

Tan said the department was identifying black spots around the city that were most susceptible to flooding, and focusing upgrade work on those areas.

So far, he said at least five black spots have been identified and drain upgrading projects have been undertaken to alleviate the flooding issue.

Two drainage projects have already begun at Jalan Chan Sow Lin and Kampung Dato’ Keramat with the projects costing RM3.8 million and RM8 million respectively.

The work at Jalan Chan Sow Lin started on July 15 and is expected to be completed by November 2015.

“It is a tough job because upgrading the drain requires the contractors to clear the rocks in the area and perform underground pipe jacking,” Tan said.

At Kampung Dato’ Keramat, construction will begin on October 15, on a new monsoon drain because the current installation was inadequate.

Two drain-capacity extension projects were being finalised at Taman Petaling, Kepong and Jalan Cheras near the Mass Rapid Transit construction site, expected to cost RM5 million and RM6 million respectively.

Monsoon drain upgrades were being planned at Jalan Setia Bestari, Bukit Damansara and Jalan Duta, although costs have yet to be confirmed.

Tan said a RM10 million drainage tunnel was under construction from Jalan Duta which would carry rainwater through Jalan Bangsar to Sungai Klang. “This tunnel is being built alongside a vehicular tunnel, which also begins in Jalan Duta,” he said.

City Hall director-general Datuk Mohd Amin Aziz said a task force was set up last Friday to serve as an immediate response team to flood emergencies in the city centre. It comprised officers from City Hall Enforcement Department, assisted by officials from the Department of Irrigation and Drainage (DID) and the Meteorological Department (MET).

“The DID and MET will provide us with data regarding rainfall density and times to expect rain,” Mohd Amin said. The task force is divided into three teams — a 20-man reconnaissance squad, a 40-man rescue squad equipped with boats and multipurpose vehicles and a 40-man emergency squad.

Which developer in kl? SP Setia again?