• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't worry, the truth is most Singaporeans would not invest or even go to Johor, I have more friends who are anti Johor no matter how cheap then keen on Johor, even in this forum, there is probably only a grand total of 5 people here who are super enthusiastic on Johor.

I met 2 pro-Iskandar persons over the weekend to just chit-chat briefly. One of them Malaysian, but may be biased cos he is selling Johor properties. The other is Malay Singaporean.

They both told me something similar: "Wait for the HSR, Iskandar will boom. Just wait and see...."

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I met 2 pro-Iskandar persons over the weekend to just chit-chat briefly. One of them Malaysian, but may be biased cos he is selling Johor properties. The other is Malay Singaporean.

They both told me something similar: "Wait for the HSR, Iskandar will boom. Just wait and see...."

Don't waste your money. Malaysia only for Malaysians.
Singaporeans, please stay out. You guys do not know the game. Too dangerous for you.
It is like trying catch a moray eel. You saw murky water moving. You quickly plunge your hand into the water. You grab the eel and yelled...I got you!!
But you do not know your hand is grabbing the head or its tail.....

Last edited:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't waste your money. Malaysia only for Malaysians.
Singaporeans, please stay out. You guys do not know the game. Too dangerous for you.
Don't be like that lah. I'm also presently looking for resale condo units at my shortlisted locations. But I only need those 3-bedders which cost between RM700k & RM800k. However I can't buy because of the RM1m restriction. I don't need a penthouse, too big. So you see, by imposing the RM1m restriction, the state government is doing a disservice to its people (as a significant number of foreigners will be left out from this segment), especially during this current property lull time. I hope they'll revise it, at least for a limited duration.

Last edited:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't be like that lah. I'm also presently looking for resale condo units. But I only need those 3-bedders which cost between RM700k & RM800k. However I can't buy because of the RM1m restriction. I don't need a penthouse, too big. So you see, by imposing the RM1m restriction, the state government is doing a disservice to its people, especially during this current property lull time. I hope they'll revised it, at least for a limited duration.

It is these Singaporeans who created the demand situation that the developers jack up the price making poor Malaysians to pay so much more.
So who do we blame?
By the way, I bought Encorp 1430 sq ft for RM1.53m. High floor. Unblocked view as it is the next unit from corner of T2 closest to Hotel Jen, overlooking the marina and CIQ. Just nice size..but I am not selling. :biggrin:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is these Singaporeans who created the demand situation that the developers jack up the price making poor Malaysians to pay so much more.
So who do we blame?

Cannot say like that. Don't you want your property to appreciate in value during its lifespan? Otherwise, do you want to live in the old and forgotten tin mining town of Sungai Lembing in Kuantan, where you even have problems with getting a handphone signal? Every major city in Malaysia is the same, KL, Klang Valley, Penang, etc. I would be glad if I can sell my property at a higher price than I had bought. Otherwise, I'll be a hypocrite if I say I don't. For those less fortunate, the government has already provided several low-cost housing projects. These are very good value for money flats.

By the way, I bought Encorp 1430 sq ft for RM1.53m. High floor. Unblocked view as it is the next unit from corner of T2 closest to Hotel Jen, overlooking the marina and CIQ. Just nice size..but I am not selling. :biggrin:

For me, I'd prefer just solely freehold residential condos. No mixed commercial and residential developments.

Last edited:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/dilemma-population-decline-061522294.html

Singapore will soon have no choice but to bring in more foreigners. More local backlash to come.
I fully agree and support. Otherwise, the economy of Singapore will fall back. However, the government must always be ready to anticipate the future with proper and adequate infrastructures (eg: MRTs, buses, hospitals, etc) which I must admit that they have been progressively doing after the 2011 election.

The 6.9m population figure is definitely on the way. Huat Ah!

Last edited:

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal
I fully agree and support. Otherwise, the economy of Singapore will fall back. However, the government must always be ready to anticipate the future with proper and adequate infrastructures (eg: MRTs, buses, hospitals, etc) which I must admit that they have been progressively doing after the 2011 election.

The 6.9m population figure is definitely on the way. Huat Ah!

Its only a matter of time before pramagtism enters the picture and SG shall allow immigration to accelerate. Our land is able to accomodate up to 10m population easily and our competitors are already hot at our heels. Just hope the bloody gahment learn their mistakes n not let foreigners take all the goodies and SG citizens all the shit !

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its only a matter of time before pramagtism enters the picture and SG shall allow immigration to accelerate. Our land is able to accomodate up to 10m population easily and our competitors are already hot at our heels. Just hope the bloody gahment learn their mistakes n not let foreigners take all the goodies and SG citizens all the shit !
The SG citizens must also do their part. I notice a lot of the current Z generation (born in the 1990s) are very reluctant to work hard to earn their keep, but only wants to look for easy money. Their attitudes are mainly caused by their parents spoiling and overprotecting them when they were in their teens. They never know what hardship really is and a good number of them are spending beyond their means.

Last edited:

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal
The SG citizens must also do their part. I notice a lot of the current Z generation (born in the 1990s) are very reluctant to work hard to earn their keep, but only wants to look for easy money. Their attitudes are mainly caused by their parents spoiling and overprotecting them when they were in their teens. They never know what hardship really is and a good number of them are spending beyond their means.

true to certain extend...perhaps the gahment purposely wanna make things tough for them so as to 'toughen' them up ? many youngsters will inherit great wealth from their parents' investments . I know of some who dun even need to work a single day in their lives !

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't be like that lah. I'm also presently looking for resale condo units at my shortlisted locations. But I only need those 3-bedders which cost between RM700k & RM800k. However I can't buy because of the RM1m restriction. I don't need a penthouse, too big. So you see, by imposing the RM1m restriction, the state government is doing a disservice to its people (as a significant number of foreigners will be left out from this segment), especially during this current property lull time. I hope they'll revise it, at least for a limited duration.

I don't think the Msia government is doing a "disservice" to its people. Th ordinary fresh grad Malaysians on average are looking at RM300k and below housing. The middle age working class perhaps anything less than RM500k. Anything more than that is considered beyond affordable. The richer ones can go beyond but I believe they would generally prefer landed houses.

The way I see it is that the Msia government can lock up more foreign capital by imposing the RM1mil. In fact, it went from RM500k to RM1mil. If market really improves next time, no one can assure that they won't increase further to RM1.5mil. So you can see where this heading....

The government knows to foreigners, especially nearby Singaporeans, RM1mil is still "affordable". You can't buy sh1t with about S$300k in SG. Maybe a tiny 3-room HDB flat.

So with the min RM1mil rule, although they may lose potential buyers like you, they are attracting more of those who are willing to pay RM1mil and more. At the same time, those who have bought between RM500k to RM1mil in the past, they are basically trapped. Because in all likelihood, they can hardly find any Malaysian willing to pay that amount, while they can't even sell to other foreigners. So their money is stuck in the country indefinitely.

Capital appreciation is not relevant here. Because if say they had bought at RM600k, how long will it take to rise to close to RM1mil? Maybe it may take more than a decade? By then, who knows what new policies will be in place or what else will happen. If there are a lot more new properties coming up, then maybe it could be impossible to even find buyers for their old condos.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cannot say like that. Don't you want your property to appreciate in value during its lifespan? Otherwise, do you want to live in the old and forgotten tin mining town of Sungai Lembing in Kuantan, where you even have problems with getting a handphone signal? Every major city in Malaysia is the same, KL, Klang Valley, Penang, etc. I would be glad if I can sell my property at a higher price than I had bought. Otherwise, I'll be a hypocrite if I say I don't. For those less fortunate, the government has already provided several low-cost housing projects. These are very good value for money flats.

I think many who bought these higher end condos in Iskandar are thinking of keeping and enjoying the place as 1st priority than selling them in future. And since Tekkun is Malaysian, all the more no fear.

I believe also many of these buyers are upper class citizens who have spare cash. Up or down market doesn't bother them too much.

Last edited:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
The way I see it is that the Msia government can lock up more foreign capital by imposing the RM1mil. In fact, it went from RM500k to RM1mil. If market really improves next time, no one can assure that they won't increase further to RM1.5mil. So you can see where this heading....

The government knows to foreigners, especially nearby Singaporeans, RM1mil is still "affordable". You can't buy sh1t with about S$300k in SG. Maybe a tiny 3-room HDB flat.
The crux of the problem here is that the bread and butter (and I believe is also the most number of units) 3-bedders resale condos in the market are priced at between RM700k and RM800k. The most sourced are those 2-bedders, which are even slightly lower in prices. These also can find tenants more easily and so, are more suited for investors. Foreigners are not allowed to buy them but at the same time, how many ordinary Johoreans are willing to fork out the RM700k to RM800k now to buy these condos? Quite a lot of the present 2 and 3-bedders condos are also bought by Malaysians and especially SPRs (as first owners) with the intention to flip to Singaporeans/others upon VP, because pre-2012/13, their launch prices were between RM500k and RM600k and coupled with this region's property markets and economies were still hot then.

It will take many more years (nobody can assure) when the condo prices in JB can be on par with those in KL (eg: Damansara, Mont Kiara, KLCC, etc), or it may never be because after all, Penang's condos should have first priority since they hold more better values than those in JB. In the current Malaysian property market, #1 is KL and Klang Valley, #2 is Penang and #3 is JB. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me give a little bit of insight.

1. KL people who venture to JB high end condos are mostly well to do. Otherwise they might as well stick to KL properties which is a lot safer. Yes, they couldn't be bothered if the market crashes or not. I know many who does not need bank loans.

2. Those Malaysians who buy mid end condos are mostly Johoreans / SPRs as a starter home, not for rentals.

3. Yes, Penang would perform better than JB overall as its land is limited on the island. JB can only compete with Penang in locations that have limited land and waterfront. However, in terms of prospect and development, Iskandar fare better as Iskandar is a greenfield with multi sectors planned eg financials, education, manufacturing, hospitals, etc. Penang is running out of options in these sectors. It remained to be a tourism / retirement island concept. There's no more manufacturing and financials. Besides it is too far from anyone except for itself. Incidentally, Kota Kinabaru properties are one of the highest in the country.

4. I am not worried about Iskandar long term. Unfortunately my personal quota for Malaysian investments is full, otherwise I would plonk further. :smile:
It is just that I am diversifying to other countries for a balanced spread. Think very hard and ask your self why Iskandar suddenly so aggressive in development. Everything happen for a reason. Then just ride along the wave to catch the wind. Of course, you must have the bullets, if not what's there to talk?

Last edited:

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
The crux of the problem here is that the bread and butter (and I believe is also the most number of units) 3-bedders resale condos in the market are priced at between RM700k and RM800k. The most sourced are those 2-bedders, which are even slightly lower in prices. These also can find tenants more easily and so, are more suited for investors. Foreigners are not allowed to buy them but at the same time, how many ordinary Johoreans are willing to fork out the RM700k to RM800k now to buy these condos? Quite a lot of the present 2 and 3-bedders condos are also bought by Malaysians and especially SPRs (as first owners) with the intention to flip to Singaporeans/others upon VP, because pre-2012/13, their launch prices were between RM500k and RM600k and coupled with this region's property markets and economies were still hot then.

As a foreigner, you can still buy resale condos less than RM 1mil in Medini. Few people mention this and not many know it.

There are several units on sale now at 1 Medini Residences. 5 mins drive to Legoland.

A 2 bedder (873 sq ft) can be had for about RM670k. 3 bedder should be RM700-800+k. I believe can bargain further?

I read these owners bought it at RM400-500 psf. The very early ones got them for like RM350 psf I think. So much appreciation in price since then. But whether can sell or not I'm not sure.

Last edited:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
According to the President of Congress of Unions of Employees in the Public and Civil Services (Cuepacs), 60% or 960,000 out of 1.6 million civil servants in the country have yet to own a home.

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/cuepacs-60pc-of-civil-servants-dont-own-a-home

Isn't this ironic that on one side there is a severe property glut and on the other side, hundred of thousands of people don't own a home!
Developers are only interested in building luxurious apartments for foreigners to earn big profits but don't give a damn for the lower income group.
Big social problems ahead.
In the past, I was told that all developers have to build a certain number of low cost housing whenever they develop a certain site.
Are they still doing this?
Obviously the Chinese developers are not.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
As a foreigner, you can still buy resale condos less than RM 1mil in Medini. Few people mention this and not many know it.

There are several units on sale now at 1 Medini Residences. 5 mins drive to Legoland.

A 2 bedder (873 sq ft) can be had for about RM670k. 3 bedder should be RM700-800+k. I believe can bargain further?

I read these owners bought it at RM400-500 psf. The very early ones got them for like RM350 psf I think. So much appreciation in price since then. But whether can sell or not I'm not sure.

Actually there are still condos outside of Medini where foreigners can buy at below RM one million, and they are freehold. Prices could be similar.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually there are still condos outside of Medini where foreigners can buy at below RM one million, and they are freehold. Prices could be similar.

Johor State Government passed New Policy on the Acquisition of Property by Foreign Interests after the Housing Task Force Meeting Johor held on 25July 2013 and the Johor Government Council Meeting held on 4 November 2013. The effective date of this new policy (on the acquisition of the property by foreign interest in the state of Johor) is 1 May 2014, and shall remain in effect until new ruling supersedes it.

Minimum price of property to be acquired by foreign interest is RM1million per unit for all types of property including residential units, commercial units, industrial lands and agricultural lands.However, there are new fees on the Foreign State Consent in which for acquisition through sale and purchase agreement, payment approval is 2% of the purchase price mentioned in the sale and purchase agreement duly stamped completely in accordance with the provisions of the Stamp Act 1949, or RM20,000 whichever is higher; and for acquisition through lease, payment approval is 2% of the lease amount mentioned in lease agreement duly stamped completely in accordance with the provisions of the Stamp Act 1949, or RM20,000whichever is higher. The maximum acquisition value is RM10 million and the permitted property (ies) is residential property (ies), commercial property (ies) and agricultural lease.

The rate is amount to more than twice the current RM10, 000 fee foreign interests pay to buy properties in the state. Since foreign interests are required to purchase units valued at RM1 million and above, the new rate of 2% of the property purchase price would make the levy starts from at least RM20,000.All application involving purchase of property valued less than RM1 million where sale and purchase agreement has been signed and stamped with execution before 1 May 2014 is exempted from the new policy with condition that the completed application shall be submitted to Johor’s Director of Land and Mines Office before or on 29 May 2014 (Thursday).

However, foreign interests planning to purchase property in Johor’s Iskandar region will be exempted from the minimum purchase rule of RM1 million, that projects approved by Johor authorities before May 1 this year would be exempted from the ruling. Further, developers with planning permission for projects approved before 1 May2014 are allowed to sell to foreign interests at the pre-set prices.

------------------------------------

Go and find out from the authorities first hand. Make a trip to the land office. Do not listen to people like me for advice.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal

I already know, but those are leasehold properties which I'm not keen. Also, I don't like the location (at least for now) because it's deserted. I also need UNIFI and I don't know which are the ones already equipped and ready.

Anyway, I'm in no hurry to get a 2nd home because I'm comfortably living in 1 in JB now. Just that having extra cash now, might as well look around and if there's 1 with suitable price and location, I shall commit. I can continue to play the waiting game as it is a down market at the moment and also for the next 2 to 3 years at least. My Malaysian neighbor had also told me to wait for another 2 years (especially when those condos from the Chinese developers are ready for VP), many of the resale condos will get cheaper.

Last edited:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know those Chinese developers are exempted from the RM1m restriction. But their prices are already high and most, if not all, are still under construction. The remaining other developments which are also exempted from the RM1m restriction are too far and few.