• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
On my bike I also take average 1.5 hours to work from JB, which I suppose is comparable to many who take public transport to work from HDB.
You are lucky because your working hours are not the usual peak hours with the norm. Otherwise, just getting stuck at the Singapore (motorcycle) Customs alone will set you back more than 1 hour/way during the peak hours to/fro JB.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is why I salute to those who have children commuting to Singapore schools on a daily basis. I sympathize with their children because they'll have to leave their house at 5.30am and not return home until about 4pm. I'm sure it'll affect their grades and health in the long term. Their only available free time is during the weekends.

My colleague who lives in SG also have their kids up before 6am to get ready to go school in SG! In my view school going children in SG live a hard knock life. Having said that, it is also my view that if one intends to uproot family to move over to JB to stay, one has to be radical about it and consider moving other things over as well, which would include the education of the kids, except for the job since earning SGD to finance MY life is practically the #1 reason for moving over.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many have the option to work in Singapore, in fact for Malaysians, it is almost a given to work in SG, have you seen how many training institutions there tie up with Singapore? All they do after finishing their course, like almost natural to apply job and work Singapore. Singaporeans are the worst off having no real place to go. Malaysian can buy homes for under RM 500k even when earning SGD and Singaporeans have to buy RM 1 million, the playing field not even.
True, almost every Johorean I've talked to will have siblings and/or relatives working in Singapore. What to do when the Singapore population itself does not procreate enough? As for the RM1m restriction, it's just their government's protectionism policy in place.

Last edited:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Loyal Singaporeans + New citizens (Guaranteed voting base) = PAP Government for the next 100 years. :smile:

Yes that's why 70% and growing, heck, I would also vote for the Government in OZ if I am easily granted citizenship next time I apply.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
if one intends to uproot family to move over to JB to stay, one has to be radical about it and consider moving other things over as well, which would include the education of the kids...
The main objective of residing in JB is to save on living costs. If your children will have to study in International Schools in JB, then it will deplete a major part of this saving. Is it then worth it?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are lucky because your working hours are not the usual peak hours with the norm. Otherwise, just getting stuck at the Singapore (motorcycle) Customs alone will set you back more than 1 hour/way during the peak hours to/fro JB.

Bro, I work the usual office hours lah…so will kena the peak. The problem as I have mentioned before is the screwed up job done by the Aetos officers or ICA who mismanage the bikes coming in. Many times we have booths not fully opened or some closed because malfunctioned. Or the Aetos officers don’t keep all the entry points open and play gatekeeper games such that those who are early end up at the back of a jam and those who are late get to exit customs early. I used to only take at most 30min to get to work when I still live in SG, now that has increased by one hour. But I use that time to read my Kindle so my brain not idle, spend quality time with myself. LOL!

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
The main objective of residing in JB is to save on living costs. If your children will have to study in International Schools in JB, then it will deplete a major part of this saving. Is it then worth it?

It depends. Maybe international schools may be a better fit as kids may be less stressed compared to SG schools, and maybe you are simply taking the money spent on tuition and pumping it into the international schools here. Or you can also consider to opt for cheaper education like homeschooling. There are many avenues to get an education for the kids. Many of us are just conditioned to think that SG schools are the best…but we all know the burden and stress that the kids face in schools. 9 out of 10 before exit primary school all wear glasses liao.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, I work the usual office hours lah…so will kena the peak. The problem as I have mentioned before is the screwed up job done by the Aetos officers or ICA who mismanage the bikes coming in. Many times we have booths not fully opened or some closed because malfunctioned. Or the Aetos officers don’t keep all the entry points open and play gatekeeper games such that those who are early end up at the back of a jam and those who are late get to exit customs early. I used to only take at most 30min to get to work when I still live in SG, now that has increased by one hour. But I use that time to read my Kindle so my brain not idle, spend quality time with myself. LOL!
Sorry for my bad, but I remembered 1 of your posts (quite long ago) which you mentioned that your working hours are different from the others and that's why you are not so badly affected by the jam.

Anyway, it is deliberate for the Singapore Customs to make it difficult for the border crossing. They'll always tell you: Your security is our utmost concern. I still remember long ago when even those Malaysian motorcyclists don't even need to stamp their passports when leaving Singapore during the peak hours. There was even no toll collections. Those days were heaven then.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many have the option to work in Singapore, in fact for Malaysians, it is almost a given to work in SG, have you seen how many training institutions there tie up with Singapore? All they do after finishing their course, like almost natural to apply job and work Singapore. Singaporeans are the worst off having no real place to go. Malaysian can buy homes for under RM 500k even when earning SGD and Singaporeans have to buy RM 1 million, the playing field not even.

True that the playing field not even for SG buying houses in JB. But for peasant class people, we cannot even smell the grass of the field in SG. In a way the favourable exchange rate and the overall lower cost of things in JB works together to level the playing field a bit lor.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry for my bad, but I remembered 1 of your posts (quite long ago) which you mentioned that your working hours are different from the others and that's why you are not so badly affected by the jam.

Anyway, it is deliberate for the Singapore Customs to make it difficult for the border crossing. They'll always tell you: Your security is our utmost concern. I still remember long ago when even those Malaysian motorcyclists don't even need to stamp their passports when leaving Singapore during the peak hours. There was even no toll collections. Those days were heaven then.

I probably said that it works best for those whose working hours are flexible and thus can siam the peak jams. Mine isn’t, unfortunately. But it’s a sacrifice and bitter pill I am OK to swallow for the greater good of the family. For the bikers, ICA really need to overhaul their current operations. The automated machines are frequently breaking down and the system also need an upgrade because it is damn slow and easily stalled. They also need to work on eliminating bottlenecks, they have a wicked fetish for making thousands of bikes jostle with each other to enter one small opening fit for one or two bikes to enter.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
I probably said that it works best for those whose working hours are flexible and thus can siam the peak jams. Mine isn’t, unfortunately. But it’s a sacrifice and bitter pill I am OK to swallow for the greater good of the family. For the bikers, ICA really need to overhaul their current operations. The automated machines are frequently breaking down and the system also need an upgrade because it is damn slow and easily stalled. They also need to work on eliminating bottlenecks, they have a wicked fetish for making thousands of bikes jostle with each other to enter one small opening fit for one or two bikes to enter.
Dont' forget that the smoke from the exhaust from many of those Malaysian motorcyclists who won't turn off their engines, coupled with their own generated smokes (from cigarette smoking), all these are bad for your health on an every day basis.

You had better be prepared for the worst when they will fully automate the motorcycle clearance by the end of this year. More breakdowns and congestion can be expected.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same here. I won't work in SG but live in JB cos the hassle of travel is too much. You want a bigger and cheaper home but you sacrifice convenience, time and energy. Time to me is money. Well, actually it's priceless.

Less time with family and loved ones cannot be earned back. Once it's gone, that's it. Feeling fatigue from the travel, jam and waking up early will affect my emotions. I don't want to be constantly looking at the watch to leave by a certain time or go home by when. You earn that cheap home but you have to sacrifice something that even money may not compensate it. But for some, it works for them, then by all means, do it. Yes, cost of homes in SG is getting ridiculously expensive.

To me, RTS can't happen even in 2019. 2018 was the projected date when the idea was thrown around several years ago. This year is 2016. 2019 is just 3 years away. Quite impossible to complete it. Till today, there are no firm plans as yet. I would say the completion time is.... unknown. I would bet my last dollar it will be after 2020. Maybe 2023? 2025? Or 2030? Maybe... never?

As I’ve shared before, I thought the same as you before I made the move over to JB. To me SG is just a place to toil and sweat (literally when I am packed with other bikers on the BKE viaduct!) but the moment I exit SG checkpoint towards JB the whole person is happy and relaxed. I look forward to a nice shower and driving out to eat. The space is nice and not claustrophobic like in the HDB house. The RTS is a bonus but the reality is that you definitely need a car in JB, or a bike.:biggrin:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dont' forget that the smoke from the exhaust from many of those Malaysian motorcyclists who won't turn off their engines, coupled with their own generated smokes (from cigarette smoking), all these are bad for your health on an every day basis.

You had better be prepared for the worst when they will fully automate the motorcycle clearance by the end of this year. More breakdowns and congestion can be expected.

How can I forget that since I am facing that every day from Monday to Friday? No thanks to the uphill climb up the viaduct, and the jams caused by inefficient checkpoints due to the way the lanes are designed and the Aetos officers who in my view don’t do a good job at all. If the clearance booths are designed like the MY highway tolls system I am sure it will make things smoother.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
How can I forget that since I am facing that every day from Monday to Friday? No thanks to the uphill climb up the viaduct, and the jams caused by inefficient checkpoints due to the way the lanes are designed and the Aetos officers who in my view don’t do a good job at all. If the clearance booths are designed like the MY highway tolls system I am sure it will make things smoother.
lol, they should just start ferry services (for humans only) between The Zon and a jetty in Admiralty. This will be able to clear hundreds of commuters every 10 minutes.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
As I’ve shared before, I thought the same as you before I made the move over to JB. To me SG is just a place to toil and sweat (literally when I am packed with other bikers on the BKE viaduct!) but the moment I exit SG checkpoint towards JB the whole person is happy and relaxed. I look forward to a nice shower and driving out to eat. The space is nice and not claustrophobic like in the HDB house. The RTS is a bonus but the reality is that you definitely need a car in JB, or a bike.:biggrin:

You def need a car in JB to enjoy but its easily attainable. I took a drive to Desaru 2 weeks ago and chilled at the beach there. Drove right onto the beach (like right onto the sand) and put out a small shelter and deck chair, just chill there for 2+ hrs with my girl. I've never felt so relaxed in years like that, minimal humans around and just wind and the sea. I don't stay in JB now but my family does so i just borrowed one of their cars for the weekend.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
You def need a car in JB to enjoy but its easily attainable. I took a drive to Desaru 2 weeks ago and chilled at the beach there. Drove right onto the beach (like right onto the sand) and put out a small shelter and deck chair, just chill there for 2+ hrs with my girl. I've never felt so relaxed in years like that, minimal humans around and just wind and the sea. I don't stay in JB now but my family does so i just borrowed one of their cars for the weekend.

Nice! Desaru is a mere 45 min drive away from my home! :p

Just recently we decided to take an impromptu drive up Kota Tinggi, visit an old kampong which I used to stay during visits when I was a little kid. Then after feeling nostalgic we decided last minute to take the small road drive up to Kluang, shopped at Kluang Mall, had dinner there, and take the NS highway back. Love every bit of it!:biggrin:

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I missed those Jungle Wars I had when I was a young rebellious youth... now want to go for Jungle war but retreated when mozzies start attacking me and my flings

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal

http://www.thestar.com.my/metro/com...in-singapore-and-klang-valley-more-rewarding/

Last edited: