• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans prefer landed properties in Iskandar
Nov 9, 2015

Landed properties and well-planned business parks in Iskandar Malaysia have proven popular among Singaporeans looking to set up businesses in Johor, reported The Star.

“They are looking for business parks that are near the highways and townships because setting up shop here is only about one-third of the cost of operating in Singapore,” said Johor Real Estate and Housing Developers Association (Rehda) branch chairman Hoe Mee Ling, following the official launch of the second edition of this year’s Malaysia Property Expo (Mapex).

Its geographical location, growing workforce, ongoing investments and infrastructure improvements have also helped to boost demand for the said properties.

“Property sales depend largely on the external factors like quality, concept and good after-sales service,” said Hoe.

“Customers take these things into account before considering their investment decisions.”

Another important factor is the presence of job opportunities in Iskandar, she said.

Despite the overall slow economy, she noted that there was a “positive property sales trend as the fundamental demand for properties is still there.”

While the current political and economic climate may have some short-term effects on Iskandar’s progress, this will be mitigated by the various inherent advantages of the economic region.

In fact, Johor Bahru, particularly Iskandar, has not witnessed a huge decline in the property sales trend, she said.

The three-day expo saw a total of 35 developers and exhibitors showcase 19,000 properties valued at RM18.6 billion from around Iskandar.

Mangalesri Chandrasekaran, Editor at PropertyGuru Malaysia, edited this story. To contact her about this or other stories email [email protected]

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/prop...aporeans-prefer-landed-properties-in-iskandar

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Malaysia, when the your property is being compulsory acquired for public good, like road widening for example, will you be compensated at market rate or based on state valuation.
Recently, I was at Bukit Chagar area, there is this not too old apartment block there with banners sticking out from so many units seeking buyers, wondering if the owners were seeking exit before possible compulsory acquisition for the proposed RTS development.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Malaysia, when the your property is being compulsory acquired for public good, like road widening for example, will you be compensated at market rate or based on state valuation.
Recently, I was at Bukit Chagar area, there is this not too old apartment block there with banners sticking out from so many units seeking buyers, wondering if the owners were seeking exit before possible compulsory acquisition for the proposed RTS development.

There is a national land acquisition law that you have to sell to the state in Malaysia.
Normally it is compensated according to State valuation. Based on some recent cases of Taman Tun Dr Ismail in KL, where some houses involved in MRT construction, the owners fought to have their houses acquired and hence compensated. I believe the $$ is better than sold in open market.
However, the house owners did not get their way as the MRT did not really encroach their properties.

Market valuation in Malaysia is based on latest transacted of nearest location of property as a basis of arriving to the final market valuation. I believe the National Land Acquisition involved potential rental returns as well as present market value. Which one is better, I am not too sure.

shawnabc77

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm seeing slight softening in asking prices in Johor, in line with Johor's and Singapore's weakening economy.

The next bubble in next 1-2 years should be the commercial properties follow soon by industrial properties in Johor.

Those who want to buy Johor properties can wait until next year for some firesales. If you are born with a silver spoon and "made" $1 mil before turning 30, Johor is not the place for you. Singapore luxury properties are where you should place your bets.

You might be surprise.. now LIV on wilkie at Singapore District 9 can be selling for 2000 psf versus 15xxpsf at northpark yishun. which do you think will be better buy?

For me i rather buy at District 9 if same price.. when price up, i beleive the price will rise faster..

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my view, if JB is so unsafe, then it is unsafe whether you bought a property here or you are a habitual rental person who wants to enjoy JB without the risks and apparent silliness of buying a property or two here. Robbers and murderers do not have the means to single out those who have invested in JB properties or those who are just on vacation or are renting new condos as a lifestyle. In other words, people who invest in properties in Iskandar are not anymore at risk than those who come here on vacation or day trips or just renting condos to stay. You can be staying here for years and not have an incident or it could be your first trip to JB as well as your last..

I don't agree with this again. Ok in a humble way, not disagreeing for the sake of it.

Having a property in JB clearly means the person (Singaporean) has chosen to live there long term and will move in and out of SG-JB very often, say every day. It's the probability of being robbed that we are talking about. The exposure to something bad happening is naturally higher.

Sure, anyone can be unlucky anywhere. If today, an unlucky person walks under HDB flat and some mad guy at that point in time decides to drop a brick from a high floor and it hits the head, he can die. But we are talking about probability. Yes, it can happen but the likelihood of this happening is low. Why? Because thankfully, mad people who do such things are not so common in SG. There are strict laws for killer litters. And it is not always we walk under HDB flats.

Again, remember, I'm not saying the above can't happen. But it's all about the likelihood of such unfortunate things happening.

As for the comparison of a person renting in JB, I don't see why a Singaporean will want to hang around there for as long as one who has bought a property there. I won't want to rent or stay in JB for more than 2 or 3 days as I have no business there. Maybe go in once or twice a year. So exposure wise, it's less dangerous for me. Not saying nothing bad will happen *touch wood* but it's a lot less in probability.

Ok, robbery aside, for tenants, it's their paradise in Iskandar. Rents are dirt cheap. Probably all the more so when the thousands of condos are ready in 2017/18. As a tenant, if I don't like, I can quit and choose other properties to rent. For investors/landlords, you can't drop everything at the snap of your fingers. You are buying an expensive place to serve these people. You know what's the worst part? When you find you've had enough of losing money from your property, you decide to sell it away but no one wants it no matter how much you reduce in price! You're stuck for good.

But as I've always said, if you have worked out the risks, willing to accept them, or you think the pros outweigh the cons when living in JB or Iskandar, then that's your personal choice. Stick with what you believe in.

What I find amusing is those people who refuse to face the music or admit that there are strong problems with investing in Iskandar residential properties when data is available to prove it. If they can see it, admit it, but yet have convincing reasons to back themselves, I say ok, fine. But to go with the herd mentality blindly, that's dangerous.

Anyway, do read this everyone.

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/t...ut-management-says-cctv-not-working-they-cant

Here's another new case of a Singapore car disappearing in JB yet again. I've lost track how many times we have seen such reports in just the last few months. When you read what the JB authorities tell the frustrated owner of the car, it's even more scary.

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
My point is, if I get robbed as a tenant in JB I will most probably leave JB without having to carry the baggage that I have to go back and stay in JB as I still have a property there.

Hmmm...from what gather it seems that your point is more a "when I get robbed..." instead of "if I get robbed" in JB. :cool:

What if you get robbed in Singapore? Won't happen? Chances of happening is lower? Be that as it may, once it happens the argument from probability vanishes. Probability is just that...you can't rely on a statistic for your own safety. You can't predict what will happen, so what we do is to employ common sense personal safety or security measures, whether we are in Singapore or in JB, or anywhere else for that matter.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't agree with this again. Ok in a humble way, not disagreeing for the sake of it.

Having a property in JB clearly means the person (Singaporean) has chosen to live there long term and will move in and out of SG-JB very often, say every day. It's the probability of being robbed that we are talking about. The exposure to something bad happening is naturally higher.

Sure, anyone can be unlucky anywhere. If today, an unlucky person walks under HDB flat and some mad guy at that point in time decides to drop a brick from a high floor and it hits the head, he can die. But we are talking about probability. Yes, it can happen but the likelihood of this happening is low. Why? Because thankfully, mad people who do such things are not so common in SG. There are strict laws for killer litters. And it is not always we walk under HDB flats.

Again, remember, I'm not saying the above can't happen. But it's all about the likelihood of such unfortunate things happening.

As for the comparison of a person renting in JB, I don't see why a Singaporean will want to hang around there for as long as one who has bought a property there. I won't want to rent or stay in JB for more than 2 or 3 days as I have no business there. Maybe go in once or twice a year. So exposure wise, it's less dangerous for me. Not saying nothing bad will happen *touch wood* but it's a lot less in probability.

Ok, robbery aside, for tenants, it's their paradise in Iskandar. Rents are dirt cheap. Probably all the more so when the thousands of condos are ready in 2017/18. As a tenant, if I don't like, I can quit and choose other properties to rent. For investors/landlords, you can't drop everything at the snap of your fingers. You are buying an expensive place to serve these people. You know what's the worst part? When you find you've had enough of losing money from your property, you decide to sell it away but no one wants it no matter how much you reduce in price! You're stuck for good.

But as I've always said, if you have worked out the risks, willing to accept them, or you think the pros outweigh the cons when living in JB or Iskandar, then that's your personal choice. Stick with what you believe in.

What I find amusing is those people who refuse to face the music or admit that there are strong problems with investing in Iskandar residential properties when data is available to prove it. If they can see it, admit it, but yet have convincing reasons to back themselves, I say ok, fine. But to go with the herd mentality blindly, that's dangerous.

Anyway, do read this everyone.

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/t...ut-management-says-cctv-not-working-they-cant

Here's another new case of a Singapore car disappearing in JB yet again. I've lost track how many times we have seen such reports in just the last few months. When you read what the JB authorities tell the frustrated owner of the car, it's even more scary.

There are those who frown upon investing in Iskandar but tout about investing in KL because of higher rental yields, but they probably don't know that KL is more dangerous, statistically speaking. http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/11/malaysia-among-the-most-dangerous-countries/

Another voice here http://www.establishmentpost.com/moving-iskandar/

I won't speak for others, but for me the decision to move to JB was not made with utter disregard for personal or family safety. We have heard of crime stories. That's why we choose to live in guarded and gated communities. We have heard of children being abducted, which is why we stick to our children as close as possible. We have heard of cars being stolen or broken into, which is why we install security tinted windows or use steering wheel locks. In short, we do what we can common-sensically to avoid being a target of criminals or minimise the exposure. Don't give opportunity to those who are just looking for that window. We do what we can, and leave the rest to God.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmmm...from what gather it seems that your point is more a "when I get robbed..." instead of "if I get robbed" in JB. :cool:

What if you get robbed in Singapore? Won't happen? Chances of happening is lower? Be that as it may, once it happens the argument from probability vanishes. Probability is just that...you can't rely on a statistic for your own safety. You can't predict what will happen, so what we do is to employ common sense personal safety or security measures, whether we are in Singapore or in JB, or anywhere else for that matter.

Ha ha let's drop it. Later become a heated debate. So I agree with the last part of your post

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
You might be surprise.. now LIV on wilkie at Singapore District 9 can be selling for 2000 psf versus 15xxpsf at northpark yishun. which do you think will be better buy?

For me i rather buy at District 9 if same price.. when price up, i beleive the price will rise faster..

I think there are a lot of options at S$2k psf, rather than LIV on wilkie...... Have to say 1.5k psf for Northpark is indeed way overpriced though, esp when compared to Brownstone EC just 1 stop away.......

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I strongly Advise "Kiasu", "Kiasi" & Kia Gui" Singaporeans PLEASE stay in SG better…
Pls dun go to Msia/Jb as Probability says u are gonna get carjacked, robbed etc etc…

Only SG is a such a freak country that is so SAFE at all times…
Msia is just like any other country that has crimes committed everyday.

So Pls dun Go to JB… Will help lessen the JAMs… Kam sia.

Arikato
:biggrin:

Hmmm....on the other hand should encourage more to go in...spread out the risk and probability of Singaporeans being mugged or murdered.:p

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmmm....on the other hand should encourage more to go in...spread out the risk and probability of Singaporeans being mugged or murdered.:p

LOL! Yah like I always wish more MBs and BMWs go in to JB so that my humble ride dun get targeted.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are those who frown upon investing in Iskandar but tout about investing in KL because of higher rental yields, but they probably don't know that KL is more dangerous, statistically speaking. http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/11/malaysia-among-the-most-dangerous-countries/

Another voice here http://www.establishmentpost.com/moving-iskandar/

I won't speak for others, but for me the decision to move to JB was not made with utter disregard for personal or family safety. We have heard of crime stories. That's why we choose to live in guarded and gated communities. We have heard of children being abducted, which is why we stick to our children as close as possible. We have heard of cars being stolen or broken into, which is why we install security tinted windows or use steering wheel locks. In short, we do what we can common-sensically to avoid being a target of criminals or minimise the exposure. Don't give opportunity to those who are just looking for that window. We do what we can, and leave the rest to God.

You have so far been firm in your stand on why you choose to live in Iskandar. I feel your reasoning is sound.

But there are many others here whose reasoning is very shaky and are in delusion. For eg, they think there will be a hospital coming up, some schools, so no worries! I can surely rent out my condo.

Hello? Have you checked how many condos will be built? There will be thousands being released just in the next 2 years. And possible a few hundred thousands more within the next 10 years. How many amenities will there be for your tenants to come from?

Next, what is the rental like? Can it even cover your bank loan? What if you don't have tenant in the next 7-10 years? Have you calculated your losses every month? Did you see how those who paid for their condos 2 years ago have already lost a hefty 20% due to RM currency? It can happen to you too. The scariest part: What if you can't even sell your condo next time, which is very likely? You will lose a few hundred thousand S$!

The wrong move they have is they think Iskandar is like Singapore. Even Singapore with more than 5.4 million population, a safe and attractive business country, and new property developments much fewer than Iskandar, the SG government and developers are worried now. They are not sure how to sell the vacant units. Landlords are complaining rents are going down even though they can find tenants.

Iskandar with so little development in the next 10-15 years, but with more than 300k new properties coming up, how??? It's going to be a landlord's nail in the coffin. You think give another 20 years, Iskandar can even come close to what you see in Singapore? Dream on. I'm not saying it won't move. But for it to expand economically and be a bustling city, we are possibly looking like more than 50 years? Msia government is nowhere as strong as SG's btw. Your condo will by then already rot and... we won't even be around any more!

Some say I bought in Puteri Harbour, so nice view condo, sure got tenants one. Huh?? You sure? There are units sold near to SG where you can "swim with the dolphins" and right out of your window, you can see the sea. It cost above S$400k. The view is so much better than your Puteri Harbour. You dare to buy? Having a good view is not a guaranteed investment.

I came across this ridiculous post:

http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?160905-Iskandar-Residences-Medini/page17

This is what a forummer "comfy" said:

1) first of all, I am vested heavily - so view may be biased haha.......

2) I truly positive about Iskandar and Malaysia as whole - in a long run. If anyone offer me a country to own, I will pick Malaysia over many SEA countries....Full of natural resources, oil and even gold belts.....how to harvest? that is another story.

3) Newspaper reporting and those shouting analysts almost always wrong....if we can follow them and be rich, why so little millionaires since so many people reading newspaper?? so I almost will ask people to do the opposite of what the newspapers and crowd say.

4) Will there be slowing down....sure not as fast as before, but no problem as I am taking a longer term view. Malaysia takes time to develop, so the lock in period is actually good excuse for me to wait... This is also why I only visit the site 2-3 times, coz no hurry mah....

5) Singapore population 5mil, 1.5mil PR.......If the transportation and other systems improve, many many Sporean/PR would want to move to JB, leave the expensive landed and luxury condo to the rich foreign buyers to play....we welcome them still. And the rich actually starts to buy...Singapore prices will U turn soon.

6) JB 30mil ....just need 5% of them improve their life and we have another 1.5Mil potential upgraders.....and these new upgraders usually will look for Lifestyle improvement...just like Singapore last time..5Cs...condo, clubhouse, and imagining sipping cold drinks next to swimming pools will make them snap up good looking condos.

7) Then the location, even if the market really grow slower, still need to grow from the edges out.....so if you have a central location like Medini, and a great location like central of Medini and next to Kota Iskandar, next to Puteri Harbour....then I am really no worry...that's why I am happy that IR is surprisingly close to these 2 key points.....I heard Kota will employ 10000 government officials when fully operations?? nvm, 5000 also can...

8) Please don't hantam me, I am a big picture person and super positive , ...so some of the facts and figures may not be very accurate....Only my view, hehe

With these kinds of reasoning on why he invested in Iskandar, I say good luck to him. I think he even bought a few condos in Medini!

It's no different from the uneducated Ah Pek in the coffee shop telling his friends why they should buy 4D or invest in stock ABC because he has this "strong feeling" he will HUAT! This is STUPID risk to take. Sorry for being rude. I can't find a better word to describe.