• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
My view is that HDB prices have reached a point of no return, it will just be one way upwards trend. Baring a few exceptions, the profit margin from selling away the BTO five years later may just be getting smaller and smaller. Having a HDB and then later add another private property on top of that, is in my view a rather fair policy. It is not as though one can have multiple HDB units under his name, but just one. It is also fair that every Singaporean can own a HDB. The current situation where even married couples cannot get their units is an allocation issue driven by policy, even legacy. The govt has to sort it out in a more equitable manner, though the FT policy probably aggravates it, what with the cash-rich PRCs coming in large numbers.

As I've just mentioned a post earlier, it's ok to let flat owners buy private properties if the govt had gotten their polices right. The problem now is, 1, flat prices have increased too high too quickly and 2, many 1st timers can't even ballot successfully. So they need to rethink and tweak their policies about owning a flat and private property at the same time.

Yes, I don't think those who have already bought HDB flats should have to give them up before buying a private property. Not fair to penalize those who become richer later on in life.

But the govt should look into having an income cap eligibility for those who wish to buy resale flats. They have admitted many rich immigrants here who are now PR or citizens. What some of these people have done is, buy HDB flat first. $900k? No problem. Pay in cash. 5 years later, buy a $1.5 mill condo.

Now imagine many such buyers doing this. Naturally the prices of BOTH public and private housing will increase. We need to go back to the fundamentals and ask, is it justified for the rich to even buy a flat in the first place? Won't they throw the whole public housing market off-balance as it is happening now?

As many argue, this govt under Lee Hsien Loong has lost track of the fundamental purpose of HDB flats.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
But the policy is that the rich people can only buy HDB if they do not own any private properties. But of course there are loopholes to go around it. A million dollar man (I was tempted to say 2.6million dollar man :biggrin:) can easily set up a company to buy a private property and then buy a HDB flat in his own name. It would be hard to put an income cap on resale properties since the price has no limit.

Haha... ya that's why. When I heard a multi-millionaire is staying in a flat, I'm like Huh? This is clearly a loophole. They should check first his salary, then if he owns any company. Does the company have any property assets?

Imagine many of the rich doing this. Very soon, you will see all resale flat prices shooting up because these rich people will not think twice to buy a $900k HDB flat. I think it is already happening.

On the other hand, the poor couple fail to buy a BTO flat, and resale flats for them are too expensive already, even for a $500k one. No thanks to the rich fellas who can buy them so easily. Then how?

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha... ya that's why. When I heard a multi-millionaire is staying in a flat, I'm like Huh? This is clearly a loophole. They should check first his salary, then if he owns any company. Does the company have any property assets?

Imagine many of the rich doing this. Very soon, you will see all resale flat prices shooting up because these rich people will not think twice to buy a $900k HDB flat. I think it is already happening.

On the other hand, the poor couple fail to buy a BTO flat, and resale flats for them are too expensive already, even for a $500k one. No thanks to the rich fellas who can buy them so easily. Then how?

Remember what you "heard" may not be true.
Only way is to show case history to support it, otherwise, its just grandmother stories and worse, you believe it wholeheartedly and even telling it here.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually I'm quite surprised. It was only recently I realized those who own private properties actually have HDB flats too. I've nothing against the owners but I think government should ban this.

HDB flats are meant for the larger population who are commoners and earning below a certain income cap.

No wonder even HDB flats these days cost so much.

Ha ha this is only a small number, go check the SPR Malaysian owning HDB and renting out and living in Johor, not even stay one day in Singapore and yet can renew their SPR term after term, amazing right? These are the real abusers, all the government has to do is not renew their SPR if they do not fulfill residency requirements, take back the HDB at original market rate and sell on the open market. But our government choose to close one eye, therefore you see massive jams on the causeway every morning and evenings.

They are the ones driving up HDB prices and COE, as many as 20 to 30 percent Singapore registered cars bought by Malaysian SPR.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why must stay condo? These days the newer HDBs can give condos a run for the money. FYI, I am renting out my SG landed property and living in HDB and loving it, the pool is just across the road too.
I used to stay in Bukit Batok Central next to the swimming pool. Is that the one?

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
This shows

1. Singaporeans are blardy rich.
2. Investors are still bullish and confident about Singapore.
3. The SG govt will not remove the cooling measures.
4. Herd mentality plays a strong part in property buying. For me, I think the properties are all overpriced. But only time can tell whether or not they've made the right decision.

SG condos these days are not respectable to stay or live inside due to the small sizes. At tiny 400+ sq ft and 500+sq ft for 1 and 2-bedroom respectively, how is a condo considered an "upgrade" from a HDB flat? It's just an investment entity, like stocks and gold. Singaporeans are buying hoping to let the foreign tenants stay and earn rental. Then years later, they hope to sell for capital appreciation.

But with an oversupply and tightening of the foreign labour, I'm not sure if all the buyers can hold their assets for long. Rents will be depressed and tenants hard to find. Once there is a crisis or recession, I think many will start to dump their properties for cheap.

I feel uneasy and something not right here . The news report say that 7 out of 20 are bought by Singaporean @ about 1400 psf which is around 700K to 900K for 1 to 2 rm unit . Sound like Singaporean are very rich .
How about the report say , 13 out of 20 unit are being snap out by foreigners at high price of 1400 psf , despite the 20% additional stamp duty ! Singaporean will feel like being very poor and miss out after reading this. Cant even affort to buy a tiny pigeon hole in their own country . Also out of the 7 Singaporean probably another 3 or 4 are new citizen . Which mean if Singaporean don't buy now , your children will eventually need to rent from the foreigners . If I am not wrong , the few rich Singaporean who buy these 1-2 rm unit are planning for 1) passive income for their retirement , 2) pass down to children , worrying that their future generation cannot afford a house . They don't give a damn that it is expensive and market is crashing down.

I strongly belief that Singaporean commit more crimes as LHL say , hence it can be interpreted that JB is safer as there are less Singaporean living in JB :biggrin:

Last edited:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel uneasy and something not right here . The news report say that 7 out of 20 are bought by Singaporean @ about 1400 psf which is around 700K to 900K for 1 to 2 rm unit . Sound like Singaporean are very rich . How about the report say , 13 out of 20 unit are being snap out by foreigners at high price of 1400 psf , despite the 20% additional stamp duty ! Singaporean will feel like being very poor and miss out after reading this. Cant even affort to buy a tiny pigeon hole in their own country . Also out of the 7 Singaporean probably another 3 or 4 are new citizen . Which mean if Singaporean don't buy now , your children will eventually need to rent from the foreigners . If I am not wrong , the few rich Singaporean who buy these 1-2 rm unit are planning for 1) passive income for their retirement , 2) pass down to children , worrying that their future generation cannot afford a house . I strongly belief that Singaporean commit more crimes as LHL say , hence it can be interpreted that JB is safer as there are less Singaporean living in JB :biggrin:
17 out of 20, not 7 out of 20.

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
This shows

1. Singaporeans are blardy rich.
2. Investors are still bullish and confident about Singapore.
3. The SG govt will not remove the cooling measures.
4. Herd mentality plays a strong part in property buying. For me, I think the properties are all overpriced. But only time can tell whether or not they've made the

But with an oversupply and tightening of the foreign labour, I'm not sure if all the buyers can hold their assets for long. Rents will be depressed and tenants hard to find. Once there is a crisis or recession, I think many will start to dump their properties for cheap.
Great that you start analyse, right or wrong at least is your own view, not hutton agents. Depend on population growth projection, i dont think a dump is likely, official can loosen regulation to support the market if it start to gone sour. I got experience on this bcoz last time including myself back in 2011 were advocate to preach aussie housing bubble theory. But when economy slow down, they cut interest rate, thing not happen the way it suppose be because the big shadow hand is working to harmonize the impact. It drop a little bit (im still right) but later shoot back up again (i missed that). Anyway, the moment you start thinking, you will start walking out of the herd mentality, good start.

As for Iskandar, the developers saw that is the mentality of Singaporeans. That's why the milking started.
One simple way to cheat singaporean is to give them wrong comparable to compare and drive them to think how correct they are. They are using sg ppty (wrong comparable) to compare iskandar, no matter how calculative, comparable wrong, everything wrong.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remember what you "heard" may not be true.
Only way is to show case history to support it, otherwise, its just grandmother stories and worse, you believe it wholeheartedly and even telling it here.

It's true la. I've personally verified it myself. If you have young friends, ask around. It's not an isolated incident. I've even heard a person tell me directly he has failed balloting 8-9 times. But this happened 5 years ago. And that person is not lying. I'm surprised BTO flats till today are still oversubscribed.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ha ha this is only a small number, go check the SPR Malaysian owning HDB and renting out and living in Johor, not even stay one day in Singapore and yet can renew their SPR term after term, amazing right? These are the real abusers, all the government has to do is not renew their SPR if they do not fulfill residency requirements, take back the HDB at original market rate and sell on the open market. But our government choose to close one eye, therefore you see massive jams on the causeway every morning and evenings.

They are the ones driving up HDB prices and COE, as many as 20 to 30 percent Singapore registered cars bought by Malaysian SPR.

Sure bo?!!! Wah lao... If true, I am even angrier now!!! :(

What is this gahmen doing?!!!

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sure bo?!!! Wah lao... If true, I am even angrier now!!! :(

What is this gahmen doing?!!!

Observe and learn, the Malaysian SPR rent out their HDB and pay with CPF, meaning net cash gain and they use the excess money to buy house in Malaysia only RM400k and buy Singapore car. You mean you don't know?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can refinance into Sgd denominated loan? Next time if Rm up or sgd drop, you will have less burden, provided you have sgd income, less exchange rate risk.

Frankly speaking it was a miracle that I could even get two, not one, housing loans from MY banks. With my background I doubt I can get any SG loans at all, not to say refinance. So maybe best not to rock the boat at this time.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly speaking it was a miracle that I could even get two, not one, housing loans from MY banks. With my background I doubt I can get any SG loans at all, not to say refinance. So maybe best not to rock the boat at this time.

MY loans are very very difficult to get these days as the are many restrictions imposed by the national bank.