• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's indicative of the reality on the ground probably.
Looks like Iskandar development is hitting some hard truths.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's indicative of the reality on the ground probably.
Looks like Iskandar development is hitting some hard truths.

Apparently the Chinese are not coming...

--------------------------------------------
In December 2012, Chinamall Holdings Pte Ltd came onboard to develop China Mall, a trade exhibition centre in Gerbang Nusajaya as part of the first phase of the ASIAN Trade Centre worth RM562 million. The 1.4-million sq ft mall on 12.94ha will house 3,000 merchants from China offering products such as textile, gifts, souvenirs, furniture, electrical and household appliances, jewellery and toys.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
This china mall did not give good vibes when it was announced a few years ago. Large established malls like Aeon and Tesco are feeling the heat in Johor too. Even Orchard Road and some neighbourhood malls in Singapore are suffering.

Online buying and online malls are the in thing now. Only malls that provide refreshing shopping experience can survive i.e. good mix of tenants, great services and promotions.

Next to watch out are those new condos with integrated malls, and I doubt those malls can survive. It will be back to basic to shoplots at established locations in JB that offer good food and value for money services or local products.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
This china mall did not give good vibes when it was announced a few years ago. Large established malls like Aeon and Tesco are feeling the heat in Johor too. Even Orchard Road and some neighbourhood malls in Singapore are suffering.

Online buying and online malls are the in thing now. Only malls that provide refreshing shopping experience can survive i.e. good mix of tenants, great services and promotions.

Next to watch out are those new condos with integrated malls, and I doubt those malls can survive. It will be back to basic to shoplots at established locations in JB that offer good food and value for money services or local products.

I keep arguing that for any retails to survive, there must be concentration of activities. Then only people would flock there. If you have individual retails in condos which is miles apart, then it would not survive. I am a bit biased but I think Puteri Harbour retails would survive better compared to those scattered Medini ones.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
I keep arguing that for any retails to survive, there must be concentration of activities. Then only people would flock there. If you have individual retails in condos which is miles apart, then it would not survive. I am a bit biased but I think Puteri Harbour retails would survive better compared to those scattered Medini ones.

Yes, commonsense prevail. Folks won't like to drive from one shop to the other...too troublesome.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually within Puteri Harbour I don't think all the shops will survive unless all the 5000-10k units get their keys in 2020

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not really. There was still a sizable crowd on a weekday afternoon when I was there just about 2 months ago.

After GST implemented, locals are hiding in the house. Inflation is very high there..
Reno v expensive..me also got to cut cost..
On the other hand, seems like SG is much cheaper now..:o

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
After GST implemented, locals are hiding in the house. Inflation is very high there..
Reno v expensive..me also got to cut cost..
On the other hand, seems like SG is much cheaper now..:o

Other than food and wearable/customised items, I shop mostly online now. It is simply more convenient and cheaper than in JB.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

Please don't be mistaken, the proposed China Mall is not a regular shopping mall but rather an exhibition hall with all the Chinese manufacturer offering their products to other traders /retailers.
Many years ago SG had a similar concept, the IMM in Jurong East, a permanent exhibition mall mainly for B2B businesses but it didn't worked out and now the IMM is converted into another shopping mall.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please don't be mistaken, the proposed China Mall is not a regular shopping mall but rather an exhibition hall with all the Chinese manufacturer offering their products to other traders /retailers.
Many years ago SG had a similar concept, the IMM in Jurong East, a permanent exhibition mall mainly for B2B businesses but it didn't worked out and now the IMM is converted into another shopping mall.

The concept is flawed in the first place. Chinese goods can be bought easily in Alibaba and taobao. There is no need for a megamall in Malaysia to show case Chinese goods. Its failure is already set at the concept stage, unless Chinall has a lot of money to burn until it can find a niche.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Malaysian govt must really buckle up and get their acts right. They have billions of dollars but so far, we don't find something WOW happening in Iskandar.

Not sure what this mall is all about. Some more you attach the word "China" to it, makes you even more puzzled. Seems to me that they got a lot of land in Iskandar, just sell and sell to whoever wants to have a grab of the pie. So many Chinese developers come in like eagles swooping on the land and overbuilding properties.

But what is really the aim and grand plan of Iskandar?

I used to disagree firmly with my friend who said he doesn't foresee even Medini going anywhere in this lifetime. I threw at him all the brochures and facts about how Iskandar will be developed in 5-10 years time. He just scoffed it off and shook his head. Now I know why.

I think Medini or Iskandar in general can be a big thing if the Malaysian govt really bother to do the right things. If not, yeah, the whole place is just rojak with oversupply of ghost malls and empty homes.

What they need is something big... like R&D, etc. They must do something that Singapore doesn't have and which will make the SG govt red-eyed and panic. They need to boost the field of science and technology. Bring in the experts and profs from various countries, for eg. Make it attractive for MNCs to relocate there and manufacturing industries to setup their plants for exports of goods.

Building malls after malls, shopping centres, cafes, restaurants, etc is just asking for trouble to come.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Malaysian govt must really buckle up and get their acts right. They have billions of dollars but so far, we don't find something WOW happening in Iskandar.

Not sure what this mall is all about. Some more you attach the word "China" to it, makes you even more puzzled. Seems to me that they got a lot of land in Iskandar, just sell and sell to whoever wants to have a grab of the pie. So many Chinese developers come in like eagles swooping on the land and overbuilding properties.

But what is really the aim and grand plan of Iskandar?

I used to disagree firmly with my friend who said he doesn't foresee even Medini going anywhere in this lifetime. I threw at him all the brochures and facts about how Iskandar will be developed in 5-10 years time. He just scoffed it off and shook his head. Now I know why.

I think Medini or Iskandar in general can be a big thing if the Malaysian govt really bother to do the right things. If not, yeah, the whole place is just rojak with oversupply of ghost malls and empty homes.

What they need is something big... like R&D, etc. They must do something that Singapore doesn't have and which will make the SG govt red-eyed and panic. They need to boost the field of science and technology. Bring in the experts and profs from various countries, for eg. Make it attractive for MNCs to relocate there and manufacturing industries to setup their plants for exports of goods.

Building malls after malls, shopping centres, cafes, restaurants, etc is just asking for trouble to come.

How they wish they could do those thing you mentioned in Iskandar.
Unfortunately, the only attractiveness of Iskandar is its proximity and cheaper land, cheaper property and cheaper labour compare to SG.
SG relocate factories there are mainly for this reason, to cut operation cost.
They don't have a large group of professionals and high skilled work force, and even if there are, they are either working in KL or SG, or rather mostly in SG for better pay.
Even a cleaner is paid at least SDG 1K, so a cleaning couple can earn more than RM5,000 pm by riding their motorbike a little further!! (otherwise how to explain the 300,000 people crossing the border daily)
To attract skilled people to work there or come back from SG, are they willing to pay the equivalent, say an experienced engineer @RM12,000 (S$4,500) pm?

And the shopping centres and shopping malls, as long as they are selling cheaper stuff and cheaper food, there will be customers.
People who goes to JB now are mainly for cheaper everything, no one go to JB to buy Prada!
But once the prices begin to get closer with SG, good luck to the shopping malls.