• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

dumb1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think to buy for own stay, weekend home and retirement home is best....to buy for investment is more difficult...

For retirement, even for own stay, I rather rent with freedom to relocate if the place turn unsuitable or to my dislike. For me, I rather rent and move from one location to another all over the country to have changing environments and experience. If I like a place, I stay a little longer. But in the twilight years, I rather return to Sg where we have good and clean amenities and infrastructure as well as medical care. In Sg you can catch taxi or have makan in the wee hours and it's much safer. If any problem, you call the police and they will arrive in about 5 minutes.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes.... I've heard many times some say buy Iskandar for investment is almost "doomz" but can consider own stay, retirement or as holiday home.

For own stay, and you have work in SG, you must certainly make adjustments to your lifestyle. I don't know how they cope with it. I find it hard to entertain the idea of waking up very early morning and have to quickly rush in to Singapore to beat the jam. I cannot afford to be late for work. Same rush when going home also. Must leave by 5pm or so. Correct me if I'm wrong but the jam can be as long as 2 hours on a normal weekday? The last I heard, during the recent long weekend National Day holiday, the causeway was jammed for about 5 hours! That's not quality lifestyle to me.

For retirement, I'm not sure if Malaysia is the right place I want to retire. My Malaysian friend was asking me, why you want to retire in a 3rd world country where you know how corrupted our government can be and sometimes, safety is a big compromise? (No offence to Malaysians, I think you know this better. Anyway those words are from my Malaysian friend.) And also, it's easy for one to say retire in Malaysia just because the food and housing are cheaper there. But what are you going to really do for the rest of the 10 to 20 years there? If you do get bored or don't like the place any more, and you want to leave the place, including sell off your property, that's where the problem may begin. You may not even be able to find any buyer or have to sell at very low prices. Don't forget about the ever weakening RM also. The government can also suddenly introduce some new policy to disadvantage foreign home owners.

For holiday home, I think the situation is even worse. After paying for S$250k or more, you use the property for once a month or once in a few months? Not as if there are lots of things to do. If one really must stay, as dumb1 mentioned above, just rent a home or maybe stay in a hotel. In the long run, it's still a lot cheaper than buying one for a few hundred thousand $$$ and going back only once in a while.

The only reason I can think of is that you really have excess cash and don't mind splurging a few hundred k without expecting to get the money back. Then ok.... consider it like buying a luxury car and not expecting much back in monetary return.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes.... I've heard many times some say buy Iskandar for investment is almost "doomz" but can consider own stay, retirement or as holiday home.

For own stay, and you have work in SG, you must certainly make adjustments to your lifestyle. I don't know how they cope with it. I find it hard to entertain the idea of waking up very early morning and have to quickly rush in to Singapore to beat the jam. I cannot afford to be late for work. Same rush when going home also. Must leave by 5pm or so. Correct me if I'm wrong but the jam can be as long as 2 hours on a normal weekday? The last I heard, during the recent long weekend National Day holiday, the causeway was jammed for about 5 hours! That's not quality lifestyle to me.

For retirement, I'm not sure if Malaysia is the right place I want to retire. My Malaysian friend was asking me, why you want to retire in a 3rd world country where you know how corrupted our government can be and sometimes, safety is a big compromise? (No offence to Malaysians, I think you know this better. Anyway those words are from my Malaysian friend.) And also, it's easy for one to say retire in Malaysia just because the food and housing are cheaper there. But what are you going to really do for the rest of the 10 to 20 years there? If you do get bored or don't like the place any more, and you want to leave the place, including sell off your property, that's where the problem may begin. You may not even be able to find any buyer or have to sell at very low prices. Don't forget about the ever weakening RM also. The government can also suddenly introduce some new policy to disadvantage foreign home owners.

For holiday home, I think the situation is even worse. After paying for S$250k or more, you use the property for once a month or once in a few months? Not as if there are lots of things to do. If one really must stay, as dumb1 mentioned above, just rent a home or maybe stay in a hotel. In the long run, it's still a lot cheaper than buying one for a few hundred thousand $$$ and going back only once in a while.

The only reason I can think of is that you really have excess cash and don't mind splurging a few hundred k without expecting to get the money back. Then ok.... consider it like buying a luxury car and not expecting much back in monetary return.

A big trade off in retiring in SG is the high cost of living which dictates that you retire much later (in line with the NDR 2015 to raise retirement age to 67). As a place for retirement, Malaysia is not ranked high internationally for nothing: http://www.forbes.com/pictures/fjle45kgkl/no-4-malaysia/

Malaysia—Great Value for Money in a Cultural Melting Pot

Every year, more and more expats are waking up to the amazing opportunities Malaysia has to offer. The country has one of the most robust economies in Asia, and this is reflected in the consistently high standard of living available to locals and expats alike. It’s just one of many factors that led to it being ranked the highest Asian nation in this year’s index.

Quality of life in Malaysia is cost-efficient as well as excellent. In typical expat locations such as Kuala Lumpur and Penang, high-quality real estate is available for rent at a low cost. Why buy when you can rent a 1,600-square-foot apartment with a swimming pool for just $850 a month?

On a modest budget, you truly can savor a life of luxury here. With your money going further, you can afford to treat yourself to the stunning array of local food—which mirrors Malaysia’s diverse cultural make-up. For as little as $5, you can enjoy an excellent meal, with a bottle of wine setting you back the same price. The street food is similarly scrumptious and one of the true charms of Malaysian cuisine.

“I rent a 1,600-square-foot apartment with an amazing pool, just five minutes’ walk from the ritzy Gurney Plaza shopping mall,” says New Yorker Thomas O’Neal of his new life in Penang. “It costs me just $850 a month. I don’t need a car, either, so I’m saving money left, right, and center.

“I love the weather—82 F on average—and the ease of getting to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos. When you combine that with a cost of living of $1,500 per month, including my rent, it’s almost unbeatable.”

The country makes a perfect base from which you can explore the innumerable natural, historical, and cultural treasures that Southeast Asia has to offer. The proliferation of cheap Asian airlines in recent years has made it easier (and more affordable) than ever to explore Thailand, Indonesia, India, and Japan. In Malaysia, Asia is truly at your doorstep.

Direct flights to the U.S. are also available, so getting home for the holidays needn’t be a concern. Neither is Internet access, as every year high-speed Internet makes more and more inroads into the country. It’s already widely and cheaply available in popular expat destinations like Kuala Lumpur and Penang.

As a throwback to the British colonial period, English is widely spoken by locals, making it all the easier to adjust and find your way around. And cities like Penang have plenty of social occasions and festivities for you to enjoy, perfect opportunities to mingle with locals and expats alike.

Because of its easy mix of the archaic and modern, Malaysia has been described by expats as stepping back in time, yet with all the benefits of modern comforts. Twenty-first century conveniences abound, but Malaysia holds onto enough of its Old-World, Asian charm to make it a real haven for those eager to experience new cultures and traditions. The public transport network is comprehensive—you don’t need a car, particularly in the cities. And the quality of the roads is first-rate, so if you do decide to invest in a vehicle, dirt tracks won’t be an issue. Health care quality is similarly top-notch, particularly in the larger cities, where it is comparable to that in any First-World nation. A doctor’s appointment will set you back as little as $15.

http://internationalliving.com/2015/01/the-best-places-to-retire-2015/

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Keep you sing dollar where it is safe, buy a singapore condo if you can afford it!

But I really dont think it's a gd idea to be paying ABSD, whether at 5%, 7%, 10% or 15%.

Gross yield is around 3.5% now, minus 1.5% for interest rate (on upwards trend) , and probably around 0.5% for maintenance & property tax, and you are already left with only around 1.5% net yield. That's excluding calculations for the ABSD. Without ABSD, then I feel it's still ok to buy.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
FHBH12:

From my quick browse of the article you stated, I think it's not generally on retirement. It's more about how an ang moh can spend affordably living in Malaysia, but NOT owning any property there. In fact, the guy interviewed said he was renting a house. So he is not faced with any difficulty of trying to sell off the house next time.

Being a tourist or temporary visitor is very different from living in that place for good or for long term. There are many places we may enjoy as tourists but if we have to live there, or say even try to work there, the experience and feel can be a 180 degrees turnaround. One may not like or get used to the culture, laws, taxes on foreigners, possible discrimination, safety, government, etc. It's the same with Malaysia.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, you are right. That's why I cautioned singaporeans do not sink too much into iskandar. if you must enjoy landed living, just one will do. There is lost opportunity if one's money is sucked into a house that doesn't appreciate. At 1M per landed home for foreigners , one should target only semi D homes, because those are the only ones worth it at above 1M. forget about rental, it's too much effort and with the sinking currency, the 1500RM rental income is shrinking by the day. Even those old town jb town condos that used to fetch nice rental yield for years will be badly affected with the deluge of units coming online soon. Furthermore, don't forget the 26% income tax for non-residents. Johor has really shot themselves in both feet these past year and a half. Keep you sing dollar where it is safe, buy a singapore condo if you can afford it!

Yes agree.

That's why as the months go buy, I'm closer and closer to giving up my Iskandar property. I've tried to find reasons (or rather excuses) to hold on. But it's really hard and I tell myself to face the hard truth and not lie to myself anymore.

It's really painful if I choose to let go. It's like making a very difficult decision to chop off an arm to live now or face a much more painful dead end next time where there is no turning back. No future buyer, no or little rental, depreciating RM currency and continual negative returns every month sound unpleasant to me.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
FHBH12:

From my quick browse of the article you stated, I think it's not generally on retirement. It's more about how an ang moh can spend affordably living in Malaysia, but NOT owning any property there. In fact, the guy interviewed said he was renting a house. So he is not faced with any difficulty of trying to sell off the house next time.

Being a tourist or temporary visitor is very different from living in that place for good or for long term. There are many places we may enjoy as tourists but if we have to live there, or say even try to work there, the experience and feel can be a 180 degrees turnaround. One may not like or get used to the culture, laws, taxes on foreigners, possible discrimination, safety, government, etc. It's the same with Malaysia.

Owning the house you are staying is very much a Singapore culture. I guess this has to do with the little amount of land we have.

Rather than fixated with paper loss, you can look forward to other intangible benefits of owning the place you stay or retire in such as more relax pace of life, more authentic and cheaper food, cheaper car etc.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes agree.

That's why as the months go buy, I'm closer and closer to giving up my Iskandar property. I've tried to find reasons (or rather excuses) to hold on. But it's really hard and I tell myself to face the hard truth and not lie to myself anymore.

It's really painful if I choose to let go. It's like making a very difficult decision to chop off an arm to live now or face a much more painful dead end next time where there is no turning back. No future buyer, no or little rental, depreciating RM currency and continual negative returns every month sound unpleasant to me.

The stress level could be related to holding power. If it gives you better sleep in the long term., it is good to let go now.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
But I really dont think it's a gd idea to be paying ABSD, whether at 5%, 7%, 10% or 15%.

Gross yield is around 3.5% now, minus 1.5% for interest rate (on upwards trend) , and probably around 0.5% for maintenance & property tax, and you are already left with only around 1.5% net yield. That's excluding calculations for the ABSD. Without ABSD, then I feel it's still ok to buy.

Depends on how you look at it.

I suspect a lot of Singaporeans rushed in to buy Iskandar properties during late 2012 to mid 2014 cos there was too much hype. But no report talked much about oversupply back then. So many of us didn't really stop to think. Some thought businesses would flourish there also but that's not true. There are many things planned to be open by XYZ date in Iskandar but many are not meeting the target. Even the HSR I think is put on hold indefinitely now. Whatever happened to the RTS? Supposed to be ready by 2018. But now, it's as good as no more. The confidence in the Msian govt is just not there for many investors and many are pulling out now.

By comparison, the quantum you need to pay for an Iskandar property is a lot less than a Singapore one. But it's still a large sum of money that cannot be easily ignored, unless like I said last time, you have spare cash to dump (aka you are the financially wealthy sort).

Let's assume most have to fork out at least S$250,000 and above to buy a Malaysian property during the 2012-14 period. There is a very high chance that you may not get back the money if you can't find a buyer next time. If you look at the terrible oversupply data now, it's hard to imagine how it could be cleared even in a few decades! Even till now, some ridiculous developers are still trying to build hundreds and thousands of residential properties beside other nearby thousands of unsold properties! Where are the people coming from to buy them? The authorities never even bother planning how the whole place will sort out.

Even if you buy for own stay, never be so sure you will stay there for good. Situations do change. Sometimes you want to leave. Or you may need the money next time. Either you leave the home empty and lose money or sell it at a very low price and lose money still. So it's very high risk there. Consider also the maintenance fees, taxes, loans, weakening RM, etc. Even if you have rental collection, we are likely talking about S$800 a month if you are lucky. It could be less. That can hardly cover much.

On the other hand, SG properties are backed by a strong and corruption-free (or that's what it seems) government and transparent laws. Downside is you have to pay a much higher quantum. That's the painful part. But for those who can afford it, it's way better than investing in Malaysia. Your SG property is also in safe hands. Compared to Malaysia's properties (especially Iskandar) it's a no-brainer which one yields more value. I've been told in JB, a property can remain the same price more than 10 years later.

Malaysia's bank mortgage is worse than Singapore's. Anyone got the latest figure? I think it's close to 4.3% the last I checked. But that was like some 1 year ago. Don't know the latest. It could go up to as high as 5% if interest rate rises? That's a lot.

enjoylife77

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think we are close to a point whereby some owner, who bought at high price, would simply refused to service the mortgage anymore. Just let the bank foreclose the property.

Last edited:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
The big man of Sunway once said:
When choosing your property, chose the best possible unit in the project located in the best location.
If there's a downturn, you will be then be able to offer the best unit amongst your competitors be it for rental or resale.
If you can't get it, walk away and wait for the next one.

I remembered watching the program on CNA, Power List Asia last year and he also said something quite negative about the Chinese developers in JB.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remembered watching the program on CNA, Power List Asia last year and he also said something quite negative about the Chinese developers in JB.

Ya..I also saw that. He said " I am not teaching those developers what to do but I hope they know what they are doing"

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
When a man who has braved through 40 years of ups and downs in msia says something, better to hear him out. Over here things work differently. For example, you cannot hear someone say there will be a RTS or HSR and plough everything in.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
When a man who has braved through 40 years of ups and downs in msia says something, better to hear him out. Over here things work differently. For example, you cannot hear someone say there will be a RTS or HSR and plough everything in.

The initial budget of RM40 billion for the HSR 2 years ago was when crude oil was about US$120 and before the 1MDB RM42 billion scandal broke out.
The budget will now become RM50 billion with the depreciating RM and worse, with the crude oil going towards US$40, don't harbor any more hope for the HSR.
As for the RTS, even worse as there was never a proposed budget and was never a seriously considered project by the Putrajaya.

hasslehoff

Alfrescian
Loyal
The initial budget of RM40 billion for the HSR 2 years ago was when crude oil was about US$120 and before the 1MDB RM42 billion scandal broke out.
The budget will now become RM50 billion with the depreciating RM and worse, with the crude oil going towards US$40, don't harbor any more hope for the HSR.
As for the RTS, even worse as there was never a proposed budget and was never a seriously considered project by the Putrajaya.

Please say its not true... You mean all of the buyers who bought condos near proposed sites will be heartbroken?! Tri Tower, SkySuites, Paragon Suites, V Summerplace, R&F

You mean even though Najib say it, it doesn't come true. (Dont make him seem like liar). You mean even though R&F paid huge sums to acquire land that don't exist, and then paid upfront millions/billions to Sultan, it doesn't come true. (Don't make China CEO commit Hara-Kiri Seppuku)

2020 coming nearer and nearer. Now have to rely on catching Tebrau Shuttle, which if runs well with greater capacity and frequency may actually be the perfect excuse from Malaysian side not to proceed with plan for RTS. (Even though SG paid two thirds of the 50:50 costs for evaluation/consultancy costs!) Save face....

Last edited:

IskandarRocks

Alfrescian
Loyal
The big man of Sunway once said:
When choosing your property, chose the best possible unit in the project located in the best location.
If there's a downturn, you will be then be able to offer the best unit amongst your competitors be it for rental or resale.
If you can't get it, walk away and wait for the next one.

Good one ..... fully agree.

Just want to add - spend a little bit extra on the reno and yours will be one of the first to be rented out.

enjoylife77

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please say its not true... You mean all of the buyers who bought condos near proposed sites will be heartbroken?! Tri Tower, SkySuites, Paragon Suites, V Summerplace, R&F

You mean even though Najib say it, it doesn't come true. (Dont make him seem like liar). You mean even though R&F paid huge sums to acquire land that don't exist, and then paid upfront millions/billions to Sultan, it doesn't come true. (Don't make China CEO commit Hara-Kiri Seppuku)

2020 coming nearer and nearer. Now have to rely on catching Tebrau Shuttle, which if runs well with greater capacity and frequency may actually be the perfect excuse from Malaysian side not to proceed with plan for RTS. (Even though SG paid two thirds of the 50:50 costs for evaluation/consultancy costs!) Save face....
The Tanjong Pagar railway station was finally relocated to Woodlands, a delay of 19 years after formal agreement was signed
between both leaders. How long do you have to wait for the running of both HSR and RTS to boost your property value?

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

Well, for the RTS, it was all the talk and talk and some powerpoint slides proposals, had anyone actually seen the final proposed plans?
Where is the JB Central station located?
What is the proposed budget for the project?
Is the railway line above or under water coming from SG?
Where is the rail alignment and how many stops after JB central?
What is the Federal's comment on this project (which is essential because its is trans national)?
Until now No Answers!!!

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Najib is no longer the PM, the RTS will definitely be shelved indefinitely. Priority will be given to the HSR as it benefits the whole of Malaysia and may even terminate at JB only. Everything is possible in Bolehland, as they are even contemplating to re-negotiate the crooked bridge now.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
RTS is already shelved aside even as Najib is the PM now for several years. I realized the RTS is simply a baby idea to them to be played around but never serious. So if he really steps down, it could be worse?

On the other hand, you can tell the Singapore side is very serious about RTS. They even projected how the MRT will connect to Iskandar via RTS. That was one of the few "developments" that got me falsely excited about Iskandar 2 years ago as a newbie to property investing in Malaysia. Until my friend reminded me I'm dealing with Malaysia so anything goes, which sank my heart quite a bit! But the biggest proof is when I read reports from the Malaysian minister that blatantly accused Singapore of delaying the RTS, which Singapore of course responded as totally untrue. We are already ready to commit with the plan laid out. It's the Malaysian side that is not moving even till today. They don't even know where to locate it! The RTS was projected to be completed in 2018 which I initially thought would be great, especially when many of the condos will be ready by then (probably fat hope also!).

With no RTS in sight, no ferry service from Harbourfront to Puteri Harbour (supposed to be completed in 2013), no Gleneagles Medini hospital (supposed to be July this year but suddenly no news), many residential projects slowed down, I'm not confident the HSR will even be completed. Even if it does, it should be way way after 2020. Looking at how Malaysia is progressing (more like back sliding) with the political scandal going on there now, I won't be surprised if the HSR is totally scrapped.

Finally managed to go down to Medini/Puteri Harbour 2 days ago to look see a second time. Don't really see the place progressing much since the last time I visited 1.5 years ago. The whole area is pretty much "dead". Many of the construction is progressing very slowly. The new condos being built beside where I live now in Singapore have already hit more than 25 floors since it started building 2 years ago. For Medini, after 1.5 years, it's like only 5 floors! Some looked like they have cranes and machinery there but they haven't even hit the first level. I guess if they set 2016 as the VP, maybe it could 2018 or 2019 to be ready?

Even for the hotels which are catered mainly to few days short-stay overseas tourists, they are not crowded. I like the serenity around the area though. It's nice to relax and just get away from the hustle of bustle of Singapore. But for investment, it looks certain to be a very big problematic issue for many years. For own stay it should be nice as mentioned, but perhaps only for a few days. Can't really see what to do there long term.

Last edited: