• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
You no money still want to buy another condo? :smile:

The quoted S$116k is based on the previous example of the person having bought the JB condo for "investment". I'm just showing how better the money could have been spent.

I reiterate, as usual, Cheap does not mean it's good. Cheap to Singaporeans but expensive to Malaysians, that's even worse. Usually such properties are the ones to suffer in a downturn. Orchard Road and Sentosa are good examples.

I emphasize the above is in relation to investment and you want to get back your money ultimately.

If you are rich enough or think you want to buy for your own enjoyment, no need to get back money, then it's a different story.

Even peasants can have dreams and aspirations! Long before I moved to JB I always wondered how people can afford landed properties in Singapore, it's just for the rich, never within reach for me. Yet in JB this is can be done. Even condo living in SG is impossible, but now it looks like it can happen in JB. I am not bragging or boasting here, I am mere peasant. What I am saying is that for small people like me, JB can be a place where 小小的梦想 can become real. :smile:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even peasants can have dreams and aspirations! Long before I moved to JB I always wondered how people can afford landed properties in Singapore, it's just for the rich, never within reach for me. Yet in JB this is can be done. Even condo living in SG is impossible, but now it looks like it can happen in JB. I am not bragging or boasting here, I am mere peasant. What I am saying is that for small people like me, JB can be a place where 小小的梦想 can become real. :smile:

Happy for you that you defy the odds and bought the JB lottery tickets. :smile:

tstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia is probably the only country in the world that is still willing to lend to foreigners. In other countries, like in NZ now, even if you have a fully paid up house, the bank will not lend to you. They only lend to nz citizens or pr Provided their income are from nz.

kawan2sgmy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I not so lucky with Malaysian property. Last time I bought a piece of LH land from Johor State Economic Board (forgotten the actual name), hold unto it for a number of years, later sold it off at a loss.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually best place to stay is in Indonesia. They won't bomb their own house, right? :biggrin:

Ayah...even want to buy houses tere also no chance. They r smarter than Msia to offer more than 99 yr leasehold to foreigners. Wat more Freehold. And yet u see so many Sinkies here badmouth Bolehland. Indonesia shouldnt offer their land to foreigners...especially to singkies.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Malaysia is probably the only country in the world that is still willing to lend to foreigners. In other countries, like in NZ now, even if you have a fully paid up house, the bank will not lend to you. They only lend to nz citizens or pr Provided their income are from nz.

U r very right! Freehold somemore. Best buy to stay.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singapore too.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
i have a friend that has a terrace house at Hh. Almost paid up the loan. She is nearly 50 years old. For years she has been renting out the house though she wants to live there and enjoy themselves.

Soon her wish will come true as she has received a letter from the company informing those whose technical skills are less desirable that their contract will be terminated. As she is a postgraduate and earns a decent salary, it is very very difficult for her to change mindset to pick up new skills and join the service industry. Her husband is also in danger of being retrenched as a big US company has closed down its factory and its sole competitor will downsize by 30% to cut down the operation cost. if you are in electronics, you willl know which companies.

They also do not want to rent out hdb rooms to strangers. they want to rent out the whole unit and move to HH. i think their biggest problem is child going to JC. But fortunately they have a close relative who does not mind offering a room for the child. On weekends they will meet at HH. that is her plan. otherwise how to survive. unless one goes to drive a taxi.
Hope the plan works well.

From your description of your friend, this couple don't seems to be "earning a decent salary" and have to resort to deciding whether to rent out one of the rooms in their HDB flat.
Nearing retirement with little or no savings for both of them?
So sad that they have to send their teenage kid to board with relatives while they "enjoy life" in their HH terrace house, not quite thoughtful of them.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
R u an Indon? Were u tere 1998? How many Chinese Indon were beheaded? Do let us know the figures?

Sorry about your total ignorance of international events, especially in countries nearby.
This is for your information and you do not need to be Indonesian to know this, so go read it!

"It was estimated that more than a thousand people died in the riots. At least 168 cases of rape were reported, and material damage was valued at more than Rp 3.1 trillion. As of 2010, legal proceedings regarding the riots have yet to be completed"

Most of the deaths suffered when Chinese owned supermarkets in Jakarta were targeted for looting from in May were not Chinese, but the Indonesian looters themselves, who were burnt to death by the hundreds when a fire broke out, the total death toll was around 1,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_1998_riots_of_Indonesia

[video=youtube;y-DD_hx7MwM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-DD_hx7MwM[/video]

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
From your description of your friend, this couple don't seems to be "earning a decent salary" and have to resort to deciding whether to rent out one of the rooms in their HDB flat.
So sad that they have to send their teenage kid to board with relatives while they "enjoy life" in their HH terrace house, not quite thoughtful of them.

Ya... very very weird or illogical thinking for some of these people. But I respect those decisions. One man's meat is another man's poison, as they say.

Psychologically, I think some are angry with the SG government indirectly. They keep complaining why are housing so expensive nowadays. Or some Singaporeans every day mainly talk about cars and properties. So their minds are mainly concerned about these 2.

So when opportunities arise for them to have bigger homes in JB, they are willing to sacrifice sleep, be stuck in jams, even buy extra car in Johor, let their children study in Johor (Malaysians want to come to SG to study for its high standards but Singaporeans send their kids to Johor! Haha...), or even be separated from their loved ones.

Some start bashing how they can't live in small "pigeon hole" flats or how expensive a $4 plate of chicken rice is when they are earning in SGD. Not enough meh? I think it's over-exaggerated.

People are too concerned with material stuffs. These days, 80-90% of the time, I see kids and families on their phones/iPads. Pokemon Go has made the situation worse. Long time ago, quality time with loved ones was deeply treasured. Hardly anyone complained about their HDB flats.

Now people tend to be obsessed with: How can I drive a bigger car, how can I move into a bigger house, how can I own more properties, make more money, etc.

tstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
they are probably making a long term plan. anyway their Hh loan is nearly paid up.

btw,if both are retrenched in early 50s, how much cash do they need to live in sg till 65 to receive the monthly payout? assume no further change.

2000 a month..24k a year..360k for 15 years.
2500 a month. 30k a year...450k for 15 years.

that is why normally one has no other options but to accept whatever job can be found.

Last edited:

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry about your total ignorance of international events, especially in countries nearby.
This is for your information and you do not need to be Indonesian to know this, so go read it!

"It was estimated that more than a thousand people died in the riots. At least 168 cases of rape were reported, and material damage was valued at more than Rp 3.1 trillion. As of 2010, legal proceedings regarding the riots have yet to be completed"

Most of the deaths suffered when Chinese owned supermarkets in Jakarta were targeted for looting from in May were not Chinese, but the Indonesian looters themselves, who were burnt to death by the hundreds when a fire broke out, the total death toll was around 1,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_1998_riots_of_Indonesia

[video=youtube;y-DD_hx7MwM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-DD_hx7MwM[/video]

Good to know history but also learn to be progressive. After these events, all Indo Chinese take indon names and drop their Chinese names.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
they are probably making a long term plan. anyway their Hh loan is nearly paid up.

btw,if both are retrenched in early 50s, how much cash do they need to live in sg till 65 to receive the monthly payout? assume no further change.

2000 a month..24k a year..360k for 15 years.
2500 a month. 30k a year...450k for 15 years.

that is why normally one has no other options but to accept whatever job can be found.

It is really scary when people get retrenched in their 50s. Not easy to get a new job at that age.
And this is the time when you have house mortgage, kids in universities, car loan not paid in full yet...

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_1...hs? Not just chinese. Read my post carefully.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya... very very weird or illogical thinking for some of these people. But I respect those decisions. One man's meat is another man's poison, as they say.

Psychologically, I think some are angry with the SG government indirectly. They keep complaining why are housing so expensive nowadays. Or some Singaporeans every day mainly talk about cars and properties. So their minds are mainly concerned about these 2.

So when opportunities arise for them to have bigger homes in JB, they are willing to sacrifice sleep, be stuck in jams, even buy extra car in Johor, let their children study in Johor (Malaysians want to come to SG to study for its high standards but Singaporeans send their kids to Johor! Haha...), or even be separated from their loved ones.

Some start bashing how they can't live in small "pigeon hole" flats or how expensive a $4 plate of chicken rice is when they are earning in SGD. Not enough meh? I think it's over-exaggerated.

People are too concerned with material stuffs. These days, 80-90% of the time, I see kids and families on their phones/iPads. Pokemon Go has made the situation worse. Long time ago, quality time with loved ones was deeply treasured. Hardly anyone complained about their HDB flats.

Now people tend to be obsessed with: How can I drive a bigger car, how can I move into a bigger house, how can I own more properties, make more money, etc.

I think the complaints are not without basis. The rich won't complain. Improving one's lot in life is not inherently wrong, though being obsessed with material things is not good either. One can of course choose to stay in the rut, or to stick the head out and try to make some life-improvement changes.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Being slow to judge is a virtue. Sometimes circumstances lead us to make radical changes, or bring forward our plans. This couple has thought for their kid by not making him commute daily across the Causeway. Had they done that so the kid can enjoy life I am quite sure you will have harsh words for the couple too.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
He only bought Johor lottery tickets but yet to win the prize :smile:

But at least he got chance, starters or consolation dunno la. He dare to hope. An improvement from those dreamers.
For those who did not buy, how to strike?

And I am getting itchy again...looking at a condo in Subang Jaya. Offer given and countered...deciding in 2 days time. :smile:

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the complaints are not without basis. The rich won't complain. Improving one's lot in life is not inherently wrong, though being obsessed with material things is not good either. One can of course choose to stay in the rut, or to stick the head out and try to make some life-improvement changes.

It's not rut lah. One man's meat is another man's poison, like I said. It's all based on individual's perception. As long as you're happy with it, go for it.

National Day just passed and I was near the stadium. There were so many happy faces coming out of it at the end. If you watched the coverage TV, you could see many happy Singaporeans, PRs and even foreigners.

I have Malaysian, Indonesian, China, Filipino, India colleagues. Some of them are already Singaporeans. Some PR. Some can't wait to be Singaporeans but their applications failed. All live in HDB flats.

You can tell how happy they are with their lives here. Their children are happy with school here, they go for events, stroll in the parks, cycling, roller-blading, and yes, even visit Legoland! Haha... Just drive there lor, so easy. No need to buy a S$300k condo there to stay as holiday home. Most of these people are also "peasants". But they are satisfied with the high standards and quality of life in SG. I find it's sometimes excuses or exaggerations that people say you will die working in SG. But of course it's not wrong if you seek other forms of lifestyles or places to live in.