• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
from asset owning point of view, the path of luxury (upgrading /downgrading) goes Public Housing Scheme (HDB) -> Landed / Condo.

However I believe that is just asset, living in Malaysia for the past 1 year (coming) I realised, that is just the asset portion which sometimes is not really that important. Living Space is crucial if you have a big family. There is really no point "upgrading" from a 5 room HDB to a studio apartment if you have more than 3 pax. At the same time, moving into Johor, I do get the upgrade and downgrade feel at the same time. Weekdays when i need to take bus into Singapore to work I feel downgrading as I never have to wake up at 4am in Singapore just to ensure I reach workplace on time. However, during weekend, then it is a totally different story. When I can fine dine/high tea with my wife, got chance to go orphanage to do volunteer work, I feel my lifestyle has been upgraded:smile:

So as you can see, lifestyle is very important especially your mindset.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporean couple seriously injured in JB:
http://news.asiaone.com/news/malays...singapore-couple-serious-injuries-johor-bahru

- "She went on to express SHOCK over falling victim to the robbery, expressing that what happen was LEAST EXPECTED."

- "She said that if not for her boyfriend, she could be in a WORSE STATE."

- "After the surviving the ordeal, she said was REALLY GLAD to make it back to Singapore."

- "She also warned that Johor Bahru is REALLY UNSAFE especially during the festive season."

Everybody thinks and says "It won't happen to me" until it really happens.

This is also one of the reasons to answer your question why a JB condo costs less than S$300k while a similar sized one in SG may cost S$1.3 million. :smile:

It is probably the notion that when one moves from HDB to condo one is moving from a public good to a private property, more atas, more expensive, got swimming pool etc. And because landed is so expensive in Singapore most are just happy to be able to move "up" to a condo, even if it meant that the condo is smaller than the HDB!

Before moving to JB we never entertained the thought of "upgrading" to a condo in Singapore because we knew we could never afford it. We were contented with the relatively large 4 room flat we have, but the arrival of the baby meant we were running out of space. So it was a blessing that we could make a jump from HDB to landed by moving to JB without paying the kind of money needed in Singapore.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://news.asiaone.com/news/malays...singapore-couple-serious-injuries-johor-bahru

- "She went on to express SHOCK over falling victim to the robbery, expressing that what happen was LEAST EXPECTED."

- "After the surviving the ordeal, she said was REALLY GLAD to make it back to Singapore."

- "She also warned that Johor Bahru is REALLY UNSAFE especially during the festive season."

This is also one of the reasons to answer your question why a JB condo costs less than S$300k while a similar sized one in SG may cost S$1.3 million. :smile:

Do you really mean that robbery never happen in SG ? Yawn.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
It depends on one's financial/social situation, lifestyle and psychology.

For a working class adult like me with close-knitted family and lifestyle firmly grounded here, I generally consider it a downgrade to move from SG to JB. Getting a larger property cheap in JB cannot be the only reason to rejoice or an attractive push factor.

Moving to JB certainly involves making drastic changes to one's lifestyle compared to that in SG. Waking up at unearthly hours in the morning, being stuck in traffic for more than an hour every day, being fatigued and spending less time with family as a result... these are huge downgrades already. It's also not easy if your spouse has to work in SG and you have kids already doing well in the good schools in SG. Why move to JB?

Also, I feel the common complaint of SG homes being "pigeon holes" is largely exaggerated. We are far from the situation in other larger 1st world cities. If you didn't get into the property market earlier, why should you blame the government or country? Yes, properties in SG are still getting expensive but it should be manageable if you plan well. What you get is the value. I can't say the same for JB properties.

Of course, if you're like Frodo, who unfortunately, doesn't have the financial means to afford a larger home in SG and yet want to have more space, then maybe moving to JB is a consideration provided you can sacrifice other conditions and make changes to your lifestyle.

At the end of it all, I feel it's up to one's psychology. How cheap is cheap, and how big is big?

When SG condos were selling at about S$800k several years ago, people generally complained: "Crazy! Earlier buyers could get it for only S$500k. Why should I pay S$300k more? SG properties are too expensive." Within 5 years, the same condo is selling for S$1.3 million, and people still say "Crazy! I can't afford it and even if I could, I won't pay at this kind of price." If the same condo goes up in price next time to say, S$1.8 million, what do you think people will say again? Yup, Crazy price!

Then why didn't you buy it when it was at S$500k, S$800k or S$1.4 million?

Is a 1,500 sq ft condo in JB considered big compared to a 900 sq ft condo in SG? To some, it's a resounding yes. But to others, 1,500 sq ft is nothing. There are houses 2,500-3,000 sq ft in other 1st world countries that go for the same price. To these owners, 1,500 sq ft is a pathetic size. It all boils down to one's expectations and psychology.

If you're retired or semi-retired, with grown up kids, moving to JB could be a different story. You have all the time in the world to drive in and out at non-peak hours, do what you want and lifestyle changes is not so much a problem compared to working adults with school-going kids.

Much said, there is no doubt you get much better value living in Singapore which is almost impossible to quantify -- Safety (something that can never be taken for granted!), high standards of living, a strong non-corrupted government, good business system, strong currency and property value, convenience of an excellent public transport system and may other plus points. The opposite is generally true of JB.

So you can't cry out why should I pay $1 million condo in SG when one in JB costs less than S$300k. You can't compare gold with copper.

It's really about expectations, knowing what you want and deciding if the kind of lifestyle you have fits moving to JB.

from asset owning point of view, the path of luxury (upgrading /downgrading) goes Public Housing Scheme (HDB) -> Landed / Condo.

However I believe that is just asset, living in Malaysia for the past 1 year (coming) I realised, that is just the asset portion which sometimes is not really that important. Living Space is crucial if you have a big family. There is really no point "upgrading" from a 5 room HDB to a studio apartment if you have more than 3 pax. At the same time, moving into Johor, I do get the upgrade and downgrade feel at the same time. Weekdays when i need to take bus into Singapore to work I feel downgrading as I never have to wake up at 4am in Singapore just to ensure I reach workplace on time. However, during weekend, then it is a totally different story. When I can fine dine/high tea with my wife, got chance to go orphanage to do volunteer work, I feel my lifestyle has been upgraded:smile:

So as you can see, lifestyle is very important especially your mindset.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yawnzzzzzzz.... Did I make the claim in the post that robbery never happens in SG?

Maybe you want to show me when was the last time a person was terribly injured due to such a similar robbery in SG? And how many times it happened here compared to JB.

Yawnzzzzz.....

Do you really mean that robbery never happen in SG ? Yawn.

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal

For a working class adult like me with close-knitted family and lifestyle firmly grounded here, I generally consider it a downgrade to move from SG to JB. Getting a larger property cheap in JB cannot be the only reason to rejoice or an attractive push factor.

Moving to JB certainly involves making drastic changes to one's lifestyle compared to that in SG. Waking up at unearthly hours in the morning, being stuck in traffic for more than an hour every day, being fatigued and spending less time with family as a result... these are huge downgrades already. It's also not easy if your spouse has to work in SG and you have kids already doing well in the good schools in SG. Why move to JB?

Also, I feel the common complaint of SG homes being "pigeon holes" is largely exaggerated. We are far from the situation in other larger 1st world cities. If you didn't get into the property market earlier, why should you blame the government or country? Yes, properties in SG are still getting expensive but it should be manageable if you plan well. What you get is the value. I can't say the same for JB properties.

Of course, if you're like Frodo, who unfortunately, doesn't have the financial means to afford a larger home in SG and yet want to have more space, then maybe moving to JB is a consideration provided you can sacrifice other conditions and make changes to your lifestyle.

At the end of it all, I feel it's up to one's psychology. How cheap is cheap, and how big is big?

When SG condos were selling at about S$800k several years ago, people generally complained: "Crazy! Earlier buyers could get it for only S$500k. Why should I pay S$300k more? SG properties are too expensive." Within 5 years, the same condo is selling for S$1.3 million, and people still say "Crazy! I can't afford it and even if I could, I won't pay at this kind of price." If the same condo goes up in price next time to say, S$1.8 million, what do you think people will say again? Yup, Crazy price!

Is a 1,500 sq ft condo in JB considered big compared to a 900 sq ft condo in SG? To some, it's a resounding yes. But to others, 1,500 sq ft is nothing. There are houses 2,500-3,000 sq ft in other 1st world countries that go for the same price. To these owners, 1,500 sq ft is a pathetic size. It all boils down to one's expectations and psychology.

If you're retired or semi-retired, with grown up kids, moving to JB could be a different story. You have all the time in the world to drive in and out at non-peak hours, do what you want and lifestyle changes is not so much a problem compared to working adults with school-going kids.

Much said, there is no doubt you get much better value living in Singapore which is almost impossible to quantify -- Safety (something that can never be taken for granted!), high standards of living, a strong non-corrupted government, good business system, strong currency and property value, convenience of an excellent public transport system and may other plus points. The opposite is generally true of JB.

So you can't cry out why should I pay $1 million condo in SG when one in JB costs less than S$300k. You can't compare gold with copper.

It's really about expectations, knowing what you want and deciding if the kind of lifestyle you have fits moving to JB.

I could not have said better!

Like when I share my experience of moving into Johor and the type of lifestyle I enjoyed over weekend, some of my friends are filled with envy and they are contemptating to shift their family in as well. However I will always to tell them the downside of it. Especially the waking up at wee hour and face with a lot of queue cutters at the bus stop as many does not seem to know the meaning of queuing up for their bus safety. I do see the nicer side of Johorean but at the same time, I have seen the uglier side as well.

Frankly speaking, if given a choice again, I will still move into Johor because I really do not mind waking up early to work, I do wake up at 4am in Singapore to go jogging before work as well. The advantages of having quality time with my wife and having a Rottweiler as my pet has been my dream, hence I am really enjoying my lifestyle now. However my Pull Factors might not be the same pull factors for others. Perhaps living in Malaysia is really something completely impossible for some until they are faced with the same situation like bro Frodo. But for me, I definitely make the choice without much of Push Factors. I just like adventurous living experience maybe...

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yawnzzzzzzz.... Did I make the claim in the post that robbery never happens in SG?

Maybe you want to show me when was the last time a person was terribly injured due to such a similar robbery in SG? And how many times it happened here compared to JB.

Yawnzzzzz.....

Sometimes I read such news with a pinch of salt. I mean my mom was nearly robbed in Singapore when she is waiting for lift just a few years back. Sometimes when we do not see the news, does not mean it did not happen. At the same time, some times when I head down to JB Town and see those crowd, I can almost immediately point out who is Singaporean who is native Johorean. This is bad not only in Malaysia but any part of the world. We have benchmark security too highly due to the comfy life given by Singapore Govt for the past 51 years. We Singaporeans almost forgotten the skillset of surrounding awareness. Many times I saw couples flaunting their wealth openly in City Square or keep yelling, "Wow, only RM20... Cheap Cheap... Only less than SGD7" As though they are afraid the robbers do not know who to rob.

For the posted case, I always tell my fellow biker friends or rather all vehicle owners who are driving in, stop doing a routine route on a regular basis, sooner or later, you will get aim. Tebrau Jusco is another good warm bed for these vehicle owners to be targetted.

I mean Malaysia is definitely not heaven in term of social security, however some times we need to ask ourselves, are we giving them a feeling that we are easy target? Are we telling them that by robbing us, they are ensured of a big windfall because we are financially better off than them and carry lots of cash walking around? When you are out, or as a matter of fact, even when I am home, I am highly sensitive of my surrounding now. This also become one of my favourite development of my personality.

See... there you go... another "plus" point staying in Johor:smile: Learn to be street smart.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yawnzzzzz.....

dun u read newspapers ? not long ago there was the case of a killing whereby the poor man was dragged along the road to his death ? his son was also violently killed . Violent enuff ?

if u are into how many times robbery happen , why din u mention initially ?

Daydreamer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dear lord when was the last time you step out of Singapore. I think you need to travel more my friend.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are many many more violent crimes in Johor not reported, anyway enjoy u our stay and don't forget to watch your back.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

All these folks are in serious denial, only in this thread will they get support, outside of here they are the laughing stock of all Singaporeans with their ridiculous posts of denial ha ha ha ha ha ha. Or maybe laughing stock of even the world with their comparisons of safety in Johor VS Singapore.

tstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
a few weeks ago i had a drink with a friend. so i took taxi home. the driver is a typical old uncle. the moment he started to complain that the cost of living is so high nowadays. his elder son cannot get a good job and salary. not able to support him. at this age, i think at least 60s, he has to work late night...also medical costs....blah..blah..no money left actually by the end of each month laboring and toiling you know..

then i ask him if he has paid off his hdb loan. if already no hdb loan, can consider renting a terrace house in jb. like in hh. safe and nice place. then use the hdb rental to offset jb rental and then he and his wife can live very comfortably.

however the uncle did not know anything about hh. He shrugged off this idea and told me he went to jb when he was a boy. one can so easily get robbed there. he would rather stay in sg. ...

it is really interesting... if a taxi driver is so scared of going to jb, those very rich peopledriving flashy cars and in hh bungalows must have a terrible time every day living in an unknown world full of x factors.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sometimes I read such news with a pinch of salt. I mean my mom was nearly robbed in Singapore when she is waiting for lift just a few years back. Sometimes when we do not see the news, does not mean it did not happen. At the same time, some times when I head down to JB Town and see those crowd, I can almost immediately point out who is Singaporean who is native Johorean. This is bad not only in Malaysia but any part of the world. We have benchmark security too highly due to the comfy life given by Singapore Govt for the past 51 years. We Singaporeans almost forgotten the skillset of surrounding awareness. Many times I saw couples flaunting their wealth openly in City Square or keep yelling, "Wow, only RM20... Cheap Cheap... Only less than SGD7" As though they are afraid the robbers do not know who to rob.

For the posted case, I always tell my fellow biker friends or rather all vehicle owners who are driving in, stop doing a routine route on a regular basis, sooner or later, you will get aim. Tebrau Jusco is another good warm bed for these vehicle owners to be targetted.

I mean Malaysia is definitely not heaven in term of social security, however some times we need to ask ourselves, are we giving them a feeling that we are easy target? Are we telling them that by robbing us, they are ensured of a big windfall because we are financially better off than them and carry lots of cash walking around? When you are out, or as a matter of fact, even when I am home, I am highly sensitive of my surrounding now. This also become one of my favourite development of my personality.

See... there you go... another "plus" point staying in Johor:smile: Learn to be street smart.

God, this discussion still going on. Everyone got their reasons, just let it be.

Agree with the "street smart", maybe not street smart la, more like "vigilant" part. Being born and bred in JB, I still have certain habits which nvr die.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
a few weeks ago i had a drink with a friend. so i took taxi home. the driver is a typical old uncle. the moment he started to complain that the cost of living is so high nowadays. his elder son cannot get a good job and salary. not able to support him. at this age, i think at least 60s, he has to work late night...also medical costs....blah..blah..no money left actually by the end of each month laboring and toiling you know..

then i ask him if he has paid off his hdb loan. if already no hdb loan, can consider renting a terrace house in jb. like in hh. safe and nice place. then use the hdb rental to offset jb rental and then he and his wife can live very comfortably.

however the uncle did not know anything about hh. He shrugged off this idea and told me he went to jb when he was a boy. one can so easily get robbed there. he would rather stay in sg. ...

it is really interesting... if a taxi driver is so scared of going to jb, those very rich peopledriving flashy cars and in hh bungalows must have a terrible time every day living in an unknown world full of x factors.

Typical complain type. Know how to complain, don't know how to do something about it. Sometimes I get really frustrated working with these type of people in the office. Of course, I'm sure the taxi uncle has his reasons and circumstance, bla bla, but you always have a choice.

No offence to anyone, but this resonates deeply for me.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Typical complain type. Know how to complain, don't know how to do something about it. Sometimes I get really frustrated working with these type of people in the office. Of course, I'm sure the taxi uncle has his reasons and circumstance, bla bla, but you always have a choice.

No offence to anyone, but this resonates deeply for me.

Are you saying moving to Johor is a solution to his problems and that he is not smart to move there?

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you saying moving to Johor is a solution to his problems and that he is not smart to move there?

Nop, only in my opinion, he should do something to change his situation. Whatever that is, it's up to him. Complaining ain't gonna solve anything.

Having said that, some people are limited by circumstance, so not right for me to judge without knowing.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nop, only in my opinion, he should do something to change his situation. Whatever that is, it's up to him. Complaining ain't gonna solve anything.

Having said that, some people are limited by circumstance, so not right for me to judge without knowing.

So maybe he has no real solution that is why he can only complain.

You by posting that he is only complaining, have already judged him without knowing his constrains and situation.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
So maybe he has no real solution that is why he can only complain.

You by posting that he is only complaining, have already judged him without knowing his constrains and situation.

true

but also maybe he has tried nothing

anyway, none of my biz... exit.