• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

ComingToJB

Alfrescian
Loyal
But why even the rich desserted sentosa cove?

Many rich own few properties not only in S'pore.. Also around the word

And new house sales has been slow because of the 15% ABSD on rich foreigner buyers.. & locals (which usually own more than 2 to 3 properties)... Especially mostly are investors

If Merc added 15% on top of the car price.. It will deter many buyers switch to BMW or Audi (other countries)
Still!! These so-called super rich won't buy a highly modified a Proton Wira.. even is running at 1000bhp

Last edited:

ComingToJB

Alfrescian
Loyal
so...does it mean sentosa cove can be a ghost town?

Whether it will be a ghost town or not.. Is not so important here (maybe you are new here)

And we know the rich foreigners just wanted to "park" their $$$ out of their country.. To a country which they think is "safe & sound".. S'pore is one of the country they will choose

So is not surprise these houses is vacant most of the time

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if owners can reduce the rental rate....sure got people will move in. Is about greed now. If owner insisted on high rental, well it will be vacant for a long long time.

Not all buy for investment. Some for home stay.

Anyway i dont welcome neighbours who buy for investment (rental) or for weekend stay...for obvious reason. Night time...scary sia...

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Empty investment properties are every where. It can happen in Melbourne, London,Singapore or even in JB.
It is for those who look to park their money or for those who have nothing to do but to invest. In their mind, it is diversification of their portfolio. I would buy properties over shares anytime.
There's absolutely nothing wrong in ghost cities if you have the money. If you depend on rentals to cover mortgages, then better thread carefully on thin ice.

http://www.businessinsider.com/swaths-of-london-are-turning-into-ghost-towns-2014-1?IR=T&

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle...d-chelseas-buytoleave-phenomenon-9207306.html

Last edited:

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, even there's absolutely nothing wrong in ghost cities if you have the money but is human nature to get panick and wanted to sell their property when they found out later that the property they invested is a ghost city or very few staying in that area. Anyway, as you say if these people have so much money to throw, is not a problem la. They can just hold the property awhile hoping for recovery or just sell it off at a loss.

btw, when you say JB have also got ghost city....can you enlighten me where is it?

"Can happen", "Will happen" and "say" are totally different in the English Language.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course it doesnt bother you but when you started a weird statement, you should clarify it clearly.
Well, anyway i expected that you cant come up with an answer.

Do not put words in my postings. I NEVER claimed. You try to say I claimed.
I NEVER said JB is a ghost city. You posted I said.
Which post did I said the above?
Read the posting carefully. Maybe my level of English is not as high as yours.

It is not worth my time at all to respond.

Last edited:

ComingToJB

Alfrescian
Loyal
Means confirm there is one ghost town in Singapore , right? But if the value of this condo in sentosa cove drop, the so call investor must think now is not "safe and sound" anymore to invest in singapore. They are losing money instead. IS like you buy Merz..... than when you want to dispose it to buy Audi.....suddenly you realise nobody want to buy your Merz....worst you are force to sell at a loss.

Well as I already said.. In Singapore, whether is ghost town (or some sold out but owner seldom stay) is not important here.. As we all know mainly are the super high end & high end projects.. & the percentage is very low.
Common ppl here only can admire those vacant high end projects when they walk pass them.. rather then thinking is a ghost town

Actually you no need worry for the super rich whether losing $$$ in Sentosa cove.. Coz it seems that you still do not understand why many super rich one choose S'pore to "park" their $$$ here.. But is ok

As for JB side.. Ghost town can be found easily in some well known projects like Bestari height & Senibong cove
Why I know coz both are my weekend home.. Many ppl bought but leaving it empty (just like me.. & even my neighoursssssss) Luckily is gated guarded, otherwise I dun even dare to go for my usual night jog & cycling around the development

Last edited:

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, you said clearly "It can happen in JB". So i just seek you to clarify this statement. You dont have to feel offended. I am asking again for the second time just in case you are confuse....base on your claim which place in JB is potential ghost city since you say it can happen in JB?

Well again.... i expected that you cant come up with an answer.

Again I never claimed it is a ghost town. Do not try to insinuate that I said those things.
It shows the level of mentality in you.

English Language lesson:
Can happen means it might happen or it might not happen depending on circumstances.
Claimed it happened means it already happened.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well as I already said.. In Singapore, whether is ghost town (or some sold out but owner seldom stay) is not important here.. Coz the percentage is very low..
As we all know mainly are the super high end & high end projects whereby foreigner ownership percentage is quite low.

Actually you no need worry for the super rich whether losing $$$ in Sentosa cove.. In fact it seems that you still do not understand why many super rich one choose S'pore to "park" their $$$ here

As for JB side.. ghost town can be found easily in some well known projects like Bestari height & Senibong cove
Why I know coz both are my weekend home.. Many ppl bought but leaving it empty.. Luckily is gated guarded, otherwise I dun even dare to go for my usual evening jog around the development

And I can forsee Medini and to a certain extent Puteri Harbour is the same. Almost everyone I know who bought Puteri Harbour said the same thing. It is a weekend or holiday home.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/Business-News/2014/08/30/Property-slowdown-more-evident-in-Johor/

CG DB 9,000 units. Greenland 2,700++ units. RnF PC = first phase 3,000 units, remainder phases could be another 30,000 units! pengzzz.
chinamen are screwing up everything.
It is just pure greed, aided by the hand of He Who Shall Not be Named.

">>>>>>>>>>>>excerpt.

...sentiment could get worse in 2015-2016, when a large number of the high-rises sold during 2012 and 2013 are handed over, according to Maybank IB Research analyst Wong Wei Sum. The problem is especially acute in hotspots such as Nusajaya, Medini and Danga Bay.

“We welcome foreign direct investment into Johor, but not at the expense of the local players,” laments one industry executive.

“It was going so well until a couple of years ago. Now they seem to have killed the goose that laid the golden egg.”

While the Chinese may be accustomed to building thousands upon thousands of apartments, the Malaysian market simply can’t take that kind of volume, the executive says.

“I hope the market will cool just enough to make them realise that. The state government also needs to take a good, hard look at the situation.”

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/...hina-developers-results-in-too-much-too-soon/

Johor chokes on property (Update) 20 Febuary 2014

BY WONG WEI-SHEN AND ZAZALI MUSA

The extra property supply would not pose an issue if foreign developers were attracting foreign buyers rather than targeting only domestic buyers.

THE property market in Johor, particularly Iskandar Malaysia, might be a case of too much too soon.

Red flags are showing in the state where launches of projects and high prices are common place but the pace of launches, which now includes “carpet building” by China developers, is flooding the market with more houses than what could be sustainable.

“We welcome foreign developers including those from China, but flooding the market with massive supply of properties could create property overhang,” says Johor Real Estate and Housing Developers Association (Rehda) chairman Koh Moo Hing.

Latest data by the National Property Information Centre (Napic) indicate the amount of new homes being built in the near future is equivalent to 42% of the stock of 702,101 houses in the state.

Almost 300,000 near homes are being built or in the planning stage at a time when the market in Johor has hit a soft patch.

Napic data shows that at the third quarter of last year, construction for 116,859 homes had already started while the building of 162,579 homes have yet to start.

Meanwhile, 16,168 homes had been approved for construction in Johor in that quarter alone.

Analysts say the new supply does not include new launches by Iskandar Waterfront Holdings Bhd, which is expected to increase three-fold to more than 4,000 units and is expected to remain elevated up to 2017.

The supply of new homes does not seem to be putting a lid on the escalation of home prices in the state. As the new launches are priced thereabouts or even higher than what is being sold in the more established Klang Valley, the new supply of homes and their higher prices have had a telling impact on prices in the state.

The average residential value for Johor property has risen some 45% over the past five years to RM197,147 in 2012 from RM136,034 in 2009. Comparatively, the country’s average residential value has only gone up by 30% in the same period to RM248,515.

Research house Hwang-DBS Vickers Research notes that recent launches in Nusajaya, Medini, Danga Bay and Johor Baru are in the range of RM600-RM1,000 per sq ft, with prime units hitting RM1,500 per sq ft.

Given there is going to be an oversupply of homes in Johor, a slew of launches by China-based developers recently has got some worried.

The grand entrance of China-based Country Garden Holdings Co Ltd surprised many with the launch of 9,000 apartment units at one go, causing local players to keep a close watch on how they will impact the market there.

Koh believes the magnitude and scale of such launches could lead to a property bubble if foreign developers are given a free hand in their development projects.

Rehda is hoping for the state government to possibly impose regulations that limit the number of units built within a year to match the market’s demands, says Koh.

Hwang-DBS Vickers Research says Country Garden’s 9,000 units launch at-one-go in Danga Bay alone could cause a glut, although delivery could be challenging given tight building material and labour supply over the next three to four years.

Analysts are concerned that these developers would replicate the ghost towns in China and if overbuilding does occur in Iskandar, that can be detrimental to the overall physical market in the mid-term.

However, some property experts say the extra supply would not pose an issue if foreign developers were attracting foreign buyers, rather than targeting only domestic buyers.

Country Garden, which has impressively sold about 70% of its Danga Bay maiden project in Malaysia, launched in August, told StarBizWeek in an email reply that some 3,000 units were snapped up by Malaysians.

Meanwhile, about 50% of its foreign buyers are Singaporean and 45% are Chinese.

Most of its units were snapped up within a month.

Then there is Hong Kong-listed Guangzhou R&F Properties Co Ltd, which recently bought 116 acres in Johor Baru from the Sultan of Johor for RM4.5bil. Market talk is that a 19-block development is in the blueprint.

But according to its filing to the Hong Kong exchange, Guangzhou R&F plans to develop high-rise residential units, low-density housing, retail properties, offices, hotel and a shopping mall, all of which will be on a saleable floor area of about 3.5 million sq m. That’s almost 10 times the floor space of the Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur.

Also, Hao Yuan Investment Pte Ltd, which is believed to be a China-linked company registered in Singapore, is entering into a joint venture with Iskandar Waterfront Holdings to develop 15ha in Danga Bay.

toyohon

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/Business-News/2014/08/30/Property-slowdown-more-evident-in-Johor/

CG DB 9,000 units. Greenland 2,700++ units. RnF PC = first phase 3,000 units, remainder phases could be another 30,000 units! pengzzz.
chinamen are screwing up everything.
It is just pure greed, aided by the hand of He Who Shall Not be Named.

">>>>>>>>>>>>excerpt.

...sentiment could get worse in 2015-2016, when a large number of the high-rises sold during 2012 and 2013 are handed over, according to Maybank IB Research analyst Wong Wei Sum. The problem is especially acute in hotspots such as Nusajaya, Medini and Danga Bay.

“We welcome foreign direct investment into Johor, but not at the expense of the local players,” laments one industry executive.

“It was going so well until a couple of years ago. Now they seem to have killed the goose that laid the golden egg.”

While the Chinese may be accustomed to building thousands upon thousands of apartments, the Malaysian market simply can’t take that kind of volume, the executive says.

“I hope the market will cool just enough to make them realise that. The state government also needs to take a good, hard look at the situation.”

Shock & awe! That seems to be the PRCs tactic, overwhelming good ol' Johor with volumes of high rise residences more suited to China mega cities. Seriously, what are they thinking?

cheerguan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shock & awe! That seems to be the PRCs tactic, overwhelming good ol' Johor with volumes of high rise residences more suited to China mega cities. Seriously, what are they thinking?

Probably got assurance from both MY's and SG's govts that they will soon be pumping 3 or 4 million more 'FTs' into both Iskander and Singapore. Song boh?

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's because of HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED. Things were going slow and steady the normal malaysian way. somebody got greedy.

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Property slowdown more evident in Johor
BY JOHN LOH
Published: Saturday August 30, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Updated: Saturday August 30, 2014 MYT 7:02:35 AM

CRACKS are starting to show in Iskandar Malaysia’s once-booming property market.

UEM Sunrise Bhd, considered a bellwether to Iskandar, this week slashed its sales target for 2014 to RM2bil from RM3.2bil, citing weakness in the market for homes in the economic corridor south of Johor.

This comes as a slew of high-rise apartments – many of them from the China developers, and many of them on the waterfront – are set to flood the market.

And things could get worse before they get better.

A report in the Financial Times on Wednesday says China Vanke Co, the country’s biggest developer, is offering up to US$325,000 (RM1.02bil) in discounts via e-commerce site Taobao, to entice homebuyers amid slackening demand.

Sluggish sales and an oversupply in the second and third-tier Chinese cities are driving prices lower, Bloomberg reported.

Here, the talk among property circles is that Country Garden Holdings Co, which last year rolled out a record 9,000 high-rise units on the coastline enclave of Danga Bay, could follow suit.

It is believed that about half of the condominiums in Country Garden Danga Bay remain unsold, and the Guangdong-based property giant is now looking increasingly desperate to unload its stock by either hiking discounts of dropping prices, although the exact quantum is unknown.

Company officials did not respond to text messages from StarBizWeek seeking comment.

The Danga Bay project was launched with much fanfare last year at an average of RM900 per sq ft.

Most of the real estate firms in Johor Bahru have been roped in to sell homes for Country Garden Danga Bay, and it is dangling commissions of up to 8% versus the typical 2%-3% as an added incentive, brokers tell StarBizWeek.

In fact, says an agent, three people were spotted carrying sandwich boards near a bank in Johor Bahru last month advertising units in Country Garden Danga Bay. It is not clear who they were representing, but property executives speculate they could be acting for Country Garden’s foreign buyers.

Channel checks with agents reveal that the Phase 2 units are going for the same price for all floors, a departure from the usual practice of pricing the topmost levels at a premium.

Buyers can opt for the promotion price, which in some instances adds up to a 40% discount, provided they pay for the property in cash over several transactions. Doing so will shave RM300,000 off the price of a single-room unit measuring between 400 to 500 sq ft, which would normally cost RM800,000.

Country Garden hasn’t raised its maximum discount beyond 21% since launch day, say agents familiar with the matter, but it may not be long before the company has to dump prices.

Right next door, China’s state-owned Greenland Group will soon launch 2,478 units of apartments and townhouses, according to PA International Property Consultants Sdn Bhd executive director V. Sivadas.

R&F’s Princess Cove project will introduce about 3,000 units of apartments in the first phase, and another 30,000-plus units thereafter.

“There are also a few other projects in the Danga Bay area being prepared for similar types of developments,” he tells StarBizWeek via e-mail.

The problem here is clearly one of mismatch between demand and supply, Sivadas points out.

Demand remains strong for affordable homes costing below RM400,000, yet much of the new supply is heavily skewed towards high-rises.

“Our records indicate that slightly more than 100 high-rise projects scattered throughout Johor Bahru and Iskandar Malaysia, comprising a little over 100,000 units, are expected to come onstream in the next few years.

“One third of that is within the R&F site, and another 10% within known projects at Danga Bay, where Country Garden and Greenland are based.

“We expect more high-rise projects to be planned within waterfront areas in the Danga Bay region, such as Stulang Laut, Bayu Puteri and Puteri Harbour. The proposed Forest City at the Second Link in Nusajaya is another huge project on the horizon,” he quips.

All that has led to a visible slowdown over the past 10 months.

“Many investors, particularly foreigners (the main target for high-rise projects in the waterfront areas), appear to be adopting a wait-and-see attitude.

“We have not helped ourselves by changing policies and the price threshold limits. We, however, do not expect to see a crash in the market unless there is a catastrophic failure at the national, regional and global levels,” Sivadas notes.

“In property development, success is predominantly driven by demand, not supply. There is an urgent need to boost demand and facilitate ease of purchase by locals as well as foreigners.

“There needs to be more employment generators in Iskandar Malaysia and facilitated migration and immigration to ease or solve acute labour shortages across many sectors. There is also a need to seek a balance to ensure controls on speculative activity, which were prevalent for the past few years up to end-2013.

“In the meantime, the question almost everyone is asking is, who will occupy the vast numbers of high-rise, high-priced waterfront units which were mainly purchased for investment?” he asks.

“We are not sure at the moment.”

But there are bright spots, says Landserve (Johor) Sdn Bhd executive director Wee Soon Chit.

“I believe that value-for-money products will still see demand. For example, Botanika@Bayu Puteri (by Tebrau Teguh Bhd) is doing well because their prices range from RM430 to RM500 per sq ft.

“We expect the industrial sector to grow further due to demand from Singapore industrialists, especially the Jurong area. The Singapore government recently announced that the Jurong area will be re-zoned, and the victims will be industrial companies who have no choice but to relocate,” Wee reasons.

A number of recent Iskandar launches, like Sunway Bhd’s Citrine office suites and Eastern & Oriental Bhd’s Avira Terraces, were snapped up.

But sentiment could get worse in 2015-2016, when a large number of the high-rises sold during 2012 and 2013 are handed over, according to Maybank IB Research analyst Wong Wei Sum. The problem is especially acute in hotspots such as Nusajaya, Medini and Danga Bay.