• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
These people all in denial, very very hard to convince, they keep in praising themselves for buying property in Johor so that they can have good retirement, I don't see why the average sinkie who did not buy property in Johor cannot also retire in Johor by simply renting out their hdb and stay there too. No need to tie up money there.

The fact that a large majority of Singaporeans still stay put and retire here speaks volumes. I am sure they know Johor offers cheap living but Singapore is still the safest and most efficiently run country, and they rather stay put here.

Renting in JB is a good option if you already had a back up plan to permamently retire in Melbourne. For you, JB is just a temporary home.
But for others, apart from JB, they do not have any other alternatives to call it their home other than their HDB. They would rather pay little bit by little bit and in the end of the day, they have their JB house.
Unlike in the West, Asians do not look favorably at renting long term. Short term renting like below 5 years is still ok but if you say renting until you die for 15 years, it is better to buy.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Renting in JB is a good option if you already had a back up plan to permamently retire in Melbourne. For you, JB is just a temporary home.
But for others, apart from JB, they do not have any other alternatives to call it their home other than their HDB. They would rather pay little bit by little bit and in the end of the day, they have their JB house.
Unlike in the West, Asians do not look favorably at renting long term. Short term renting like below 5 years is still ok but if you say renting until you die for 15 years, it is better to buy.

It is just a mindset which must change, don't forget I only bought in Oz because my girl is a citizen, or else I would rather not, because of all the FIRB hullabaloo.

Why don't choose rental when you can get a good deal, choose to rent from Malaysian who bought cheaper as citizens, or rent from bleeding owners who subsidize you.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is just a mindset which must change, don't forget I only bought in Oz because my girl is a citizen, or else I would rather not, because of all the FIRB hullabaloo.

Why don't choose rental when you can get a good deal, choose to rent from Malaysian who bought cheaper as citizens, or rent from bleeding owners who subsidize you.

Our culture taught us every family must have a roof under their head. And it is not a rented home.
That had been passed down for generations. Deal or no deal, it is a must have.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our culture taught us every family must have a roof under their head. And it is not a rented home.
That had been passed down for generations. Deal or no deal, it is a must have.

Yes agree, so keep the house in Singapore and rent in Johor. Nobody is saying don't own anything.

Anyway how about you tell me the sums of a late 40s or early 50s retrenched sinkie, for him to buy a RM1 million home, he needs cash of 30% and if he can loan up to 65 only, his instalments are between RM5 to RM7k, isn't he better to rent at less than RM2.5k?

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am guessing many of them already own investment properties in SG or elsewhere. They probably also have made tidy profits from some of these properties so have spare cash lying around. When the cooling measures were introduced in SG, they were pushed out of the market. So with cash lying around not doing anything, their hands got itchy and decided to plunge it into Iskandar.

However, I feel if one has to throw money away, also not like dat mah, right? I dunno. Maybe cos I haven't reached that stage in my financial wealth. I made rash purchases of electronic gadgets in the past which I hardly use. But those are a few hundred $ and I can move on. For properties, we are talking about a few hundred thousand SGD or a million RM. That's a good amount that can help one retire a couple of years early or provide college education for their kids.

Yes, Singaporeans generally are not investing or considering moving to Iskandar. I've asked my colleagues and friends, some of whom are even Malaysians from JB and other cities, none of them are attracted to invest or live there. They give a whole lot of reasons which most of us already know so I won't list here.

For some who work in SG but choose to commute every day in and out of Iskandar, like Frodo, I'm sure several important things have to be sacrificed -- the lifestyle, less time with loved ones, children or spouse stuck in JB, etc. It does not suit the majority of the population.

Actually, living in SG is not all that bad. People label inappropriately apartments here as "pigeon holes". What do you expect? SG is a small country with a dense population. It's the same everywhere else in the world. I think we are very far from the worst compared to many other places like HK, Tokyo or Taiwan.

The standard size 95 sq m HDB flat is comfortable enough for a small family. I wonder what people want inside. A huge garden? A large chandelier hanging from your ceiling? Bigger the house, more cleaning there is, more security to take care of, more furniture to buy and higher maintenance costs to pay. How big is enough?

The SG government is already making plans all the way for SG100! SG will continue to thrive. But for Iskandar, I really don't know. Their government is corrupted, plans are not properly and systematically laid out (I can't even find the sales figures on homes there), developments get cancelled or shelved aside at the last minute, etc.

If there are no immigration checkpoints and part of Iskandar is owned by SG, I say go for it! But it's not. Anyway, I think all the properties there after 2011 have been highly inflated. If a 3-bedroom condo is sold at RM300k or about S$100k in Medini, you can consider buying so that you have some buffer on all the risks involved. But at an average of RM900k or so, I think it's highly over-priced.

Most don't realize with the huge oversupply, they are not going to be able to cover their monthly mortgage. Rental is so cheap in JB anyway. It will get worse. I've said this many times. Then there is also the problem of depreciating cost. Who's going to buy your 5-year old condo when there are thousands of brand new ones coming up any time at the same price or possibly even cheaper?

I went down to Medini again last month and all I see is a huge stretch of condos being built. There are no amenities surrounding it. Someone here once mentioned it's a misconception that Iskandar is filled with palm oil plantations. What I really saw in Medini are lots of trees! Don't know if they are palm oil tress. Doesn't matter, right? I'm thinking how long will it take for all this huge damn place to develop? And the condos will be ready in merely 1-2 years' time? I mean, no offence but good luck to the buyers/investors.

By the way, I also went to Legoland. In almost every Medini property advert I read, this name always pops up. I think it's overhyped. It's as if they depend on it to tell you your condo will boom next time because of it. Tickets are overpriced and meant more for foreigners and tourists. The place is also rather boring and can be covered in less than a day.

If one chooses to buy say a RM900k condo in Iskandar while keeping his HDB flat in SG, I'm not sure if this is a solution for a better lifestyle. If after 10 years, you are not able to sell your Iskandar condo, you are already considered to have lost that RM900k upfront. Whatever rental you gain from your SG flat does not translate to any profits at all. It goes to service your monthly bank loan and at the end, you are left with a JB property that depreciates in value, has to be sold at loss or in the worst case, nobody wants it.

These people all in denial, very very hard to convince, they keep on going on and on praising themselves for buying property in Johor so that they can have good retirement, like as if they are the smartest people in Singapore, I don't see why the average sinkie who did not buy property in Johor cannot also retire in Johor by simply renting out their hdb and stay there too. No need to tie up money.

The fact that a large majority of Singaporeans still stay put and retire here speaks volumes. I am sure they know Johor offers cheap living but Singapore is still the safest and most efficiently run country, and they rather stay here.

My parents are simply one of those, I tell them street food is cheap, they say the hygiene is questionable and generally food is of a lower standard. Grocery is only slightly cheaper. Cars is not really cheap when they compare with Oz. Houses? Well you know lah. Cheap and no good.

Last edited:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes agree, so keep the house in Singapore and rent in Johor. Nobody is saying don't own anything.

Anyway how about you tell me the sums of a late 40s or early 50s retrenched sinkie, for him to buy a RM1 million home, he needs cash of 30% and if he can loan up to 65 only, his instalments are between RM5 to RM7k, isn't he better to rent at less than RM2.5k?

1. If he is retrenched, he should not buy another property. He won't even get another bank loan as he does not have earning power.
2. No money, no buy. Just rent is good enough. He simply do not have any choice.

Anyone at 50s should be winding down on his expenditure to save for retirement. If I am retrenched, I won't even rent at RM 2,500. I will settle for RM1,000. So what if it is a single storey terrace house in Kulai or Masai? I am happy with that.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
So many posts on the same thing over and over again. Recycling and repeating the same thing.

1. Over supply
2. Depreciation of property
3. Better to rent

You not tired of writing, I tired of reading liao.

Say la something new like "Gong Xi Fa Cai" Happy New Year.
"Yum Seng, Huat Ah, Ong Ah, Heng Ah" :smile:

I am guessing many of them already own investment properties in SG or elsewhere. They probably also have made tidy profits from some of these properties so have spare cash lying around. When the cooling measures were introduced in SG, they were pushed out of the market. So with cash lying around not doing anything, their hands got itchy and decided to plunge it into Iskandar.

However, I feel if one has to throw money away, also not like dat mah, right? I dunno. Maybe cos I haven't reached that stage in my financial wealth. I made rash purchases of electronic gadgets in the past which I hardly use. But those are a few hundred $ and I can move on. For properties, we are talking about a few hundred thousand SGD or a million RM. That's a good amount that can help one retire a couple of years early or provide college education for their kids.

Yes, Singaporeans generally are not investing or considering moving to Iskandar. I've asked my colleagues and friends, some of whom are even Malaysians from JB and other cities, none of them are attracted to invest or live there. They give a whole lot of reasons which most of us already know so I won't list here.

For some who work in SG but choose to commute every day in and out of Iskandar, like Frodo, I'm sure several important things have to be sacrificed -- the lifestyle, less time with loved ones, children or spouse stuck in JB, etc. It does not suit the majority of the population.

Actually, living in SG is not all that bad. People label inappropriately apartments here as "pigeon holes". What do you expect? SG is a small country with a dense population. It's the same everywhere else in the world. I think we are very far from the worst compared to many other places like HK, Tokyo or Taiwan.

The standard size 95 sq m HDB flat is comfortable enough for a small family. I wonder what people want inside. A huge garden? A large chandelier hanging from your ceiling? Bigger the house, more cleaning there is, more security to take care of, more furniture to buy and higher maintenance costs to pay. How big is enough?

The SG government is already making plans all the way for SG100! SG will continue to thrive. But for Iskandar, I really don't know. Their government is corrupted, plans are not properly and systematically laid out (I can't even find the sales figures on homes there), developments get cancelled or shelved aside at the last minute, etc.

If there are no immigration checkpoints and part of Iskandar is owned by SG, I say go for it! But it's not. Anyway, I think all the properties there after 2011 have been highly inflated. If a 3-bedroom condo is sold at RM300k or about S$100k in Medini, you can consider buying so that you have some buffer on all the risks involved. But at an average of RM900k or so, I think it's highly over-priced.

Most don't realize with the huge oversupply, they are not going to be able to cover their monthly mortgage. Rental is so cheap in JB anyway. It will get worse. I've said this many times. Then there is also the problem of depreciating cost. Who's going to buy your 5-year old condo when there are thousands of brand new ones coming up any time at the same price or possibly even cheaper?

I went down to Medini again last month and all I see is a huge stretch of condos being built. There are no amenities surrounding it. Someone here once mentioned it's a misconception that Iskandar is filled with palm oil plantations. What I really saw in Medini are lots of trees! Don't know if they are palm oil tress. Doesn't matter, right? I'm thinking how long will it take for all this huge damn place to develop? And the condos will be ready in merely 1-2 years' time? I mean, no offence but good luck to the buyers/investors.

By the way, I also went to Legoland. In almost every Medini property advert I read, this name always pops up. I think it's overhyped. It's as if they depend on it to tell you your condo will boom next time because of it. Tickets are overpriced and meant more for foreigners and tourists. The place is also rather boring and can be covered in less than a day.

If one chooses to buy say a RM900k condo in Iskandar while keeping his HDB flat in SG, I'm not sure if this is a solution for a better lifestyle. If after 10 years, you are not able to sell your Iskandar condo, you are already considered to have lost that RM900k upfront. Whatever rental you gain from your SG flat does not translate to any profits at all. It goes to service your monthly bank loan and at the end, you are left with a JB property that depreciates in value, has to be sold at loss or in the worst case, nobody wants it.

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
So many posts on the same thing over and over again. Recycling and repeating the same thing.

1. Over supply
3. Better to rent

Completely Agreed!

HUAT AH!!!!

tstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
why it is mentioned that an average person in sg cannot afford a rm 1 mil house in jb? i think we are one of the richest country in the world.

. what matters is where the capital flows. i believe you are not in manufacuturing. if you study the trend of statistics, you will bot be so confident.

Last edited:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

1. Over supply
3. Better to rent

Because the posts keep recycling over and over again.

1. We so clever buy Johor house only we house buyers can eat cheap food and restaurants, like as if others cannot.

2. Wah got event being launched all Iskandar investors huat ah.

3. We so clever to plan our retirement, all those who didn't buy are stuck with high costs.

Recycle over and over again.

Sian or not?

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
why it is mentioned that an average person in sg cannot afford a rm 1 mil house in jb? i think we are one of the richest country in the world.

. what matters is where the capital flows. i believe you are not in manufacuturing. if you study the trend of statistics, you will bot be so confident.

Next time take a peek at people's atm balances, I have never seen so many poor people in my life.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Next time take a peek at people's atm balances, I have never seen so many poor people in my life.

I count myself among one of them. In Singapore we seem to have so much yet so little. And yet when we want to move up a little, our little prevents us from moving. But this same little may be able to give us much more when in JB, in the sense that our dollar is stretched and also that the basic things like housing and even transportation is much cheaper.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
A Sg Property Agent told me in the 2000s during a crisis, the lowest transacted landed in Sg was S$200+ psf! And now we r in deflation, maybe will be like Japan , a developed country and have slow deflation over many years...after all, we are surrounded by much cheaper neighbouring countries, think it only logical for them to slowly become more expensive as they develop while we deflate...

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. If he is retrenched, he should not buy another property. He won't even get another bank loan as he does not have earning power.
2. No money, no buy. Just rent is good enough. He simply do not have any choice.

Anyone at 50s should be winding down on his expenditure to save for retirement. If I am retrenched, I won't even rent at RM 2,500. I will settle for RM1,000. So what if it is a single storey terrace house in Kulai or Masai? I am happy with that.

So isn't that what I am saying all along? Rent to escape high costs in Malaysia, with jobs being so volatile in Singapore now, one can easily lose his job at 50 and if not saddled with a loan of a second property, try and rent as low as possible, RM 1k or 800 if possible.

So why are people here keep congratulating themselves with taking a second loan buying in Johor and having a "fixed rental" of twenty years or even more in the form of instalments at 4% interest mind you?

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
So isn't that what I am saying all along? Rent to escape high costs in Malaysia, with jobs being so volatile in Singapore now, one can easily lose his job at 50 and if not saddled with a loan of a second property, try and rent as low as possible, RM 1k or 800 if possible.

So why are people here keep congratulating themselves with taking a second loan buying in Johor and having a "fixed rental" of twenty years or even more in the form of instalments at 4% interest mind you?

The keyword is "retrenched".
So far, I do not see anyone who is retrenched, even so if they are in their 50s, they would had paid up their HDB or have some money in their CPF. Anyway, it is their money and their ATM balance. Not up to me to kay poh.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Because it would not be living a life if one makes decisions on the premise that he would not have a job at 50. Then no need to make any big ticket item purchase liao, whether in SG or not...don't buy house, no car, don't even get married, or worst to have kids! A single person earning income with no family would be rather storm resilient.

Life is about making decisions, and also having hope, and being hopeful. I am not saying that financial prudence should be thrown out of the window, but that while renting has its advantages, not many will simply take that route simply because it is more economical or cheaper. There are other reasons that make people choose to buy instead of rent.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

If a peasant like me (under the definitely pathetic salary category) can just barely afford a JB house (Ok that's not RM1 million because I bought before the bar was raised), those less peasant can definitely afford it.:smile:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
The keyword is "retrenched".
So far, I do not see anyone who is retrenched, even so if they are in their 50s, they would had paid up their HDB or have some money in their CPF. Anyway, it is their money and their ATM balance. Not up to me to kay poh.

Keywords are "one can easily lose his job at 50".

Yes they would have paid up HDB but to be saddled with another loan? That does not make good financial retirement sense.