• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Aljunied Resident Challenges MND To Sue AHPETC

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Source: The Real Singapore

ALJUNIED RESIDENT CHALLENGES MND TO SUE AHPETC
Post date: 15 Feb 2014 - 1:50pm

I refer to the article “Auditors unable to fully verify AHPETC accounts for second year; MND concerned” (Straits Times, Feb 14).

The Ministry of National Development has expressed concern that independent auditors have been unable to fully verify Aljunied-Hougang-Punggol East Town Council’s (AHPETC) accounts for the second year in a row.

In a press statement on Thursday, the ministry noted that the town council had not complied with some provisions of the Town Councils Act and the Town Councils Financial Rules, as reported by the independent auditor.

As a resident of Aljunied, I would like to make some comments on the subject issue.

But first, I would like to make a qualification, just as auditors routinely make qualifications in their audit and annual reports.

I am commenting as a resident of Aljunied and as a Singaporean, and not in the context of having qualified as a Chartered Secretary (former Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators), former Accredited Investment Fiduciary Auditor and past president of the Society of Financial Service Professionals. It has also been a very long time since I was involved in annual reports or matters relating to corporate governance.

In the qualifications that auditors routinely make in annual reports – I understand that if there was a serious breach of statutory duties and responsibilities – the directors and officers responsible may be taken to task or even charged in court.

Since as I understand it – this is the second year in a row and more than a year has lapsed since Aljunied’s previous governance issues – why is it that Aljunied has not been taken to task or charged in court by the relevant authorities?

You mean “expressing concern” is all that you can do for a second year – and you are not going to anything about it?

If I may use an analogy – things are getting out of proportion. If Aljunied town council and even stallholders can be charged in court over a small matter like the Chinese New Year trade fair – why is it that no action whatsoever has been taken against Aljunied town council over governance irregularities involving millions of dollars of residents’ money?

With regard to AHPETC having only submitted its audited financial statement for the financial year ended March 31 2013 on Monday, six months later than the Aug 31 deadline - AHPETC chairman Sylvia Lim has acknowledged these issues, and said in the town council annual report that preparing the financial statements “continued to be a challenge” because of “handover issues that required more time to resolve”.

In fact AHPETC said in their media release in November that in “the area of Corporate Governance, our banding is listed as ‘pending’ mainly because our auditors are still in the midst of finalising our FY12 financial statements. We understand that the issues being addressed include complexities resulting from the handover legacy, classification and treatment issues, year-end adjustments, and others. We appointed the auditors in early May 2011 and we hope the audit will be completed soon”.

Aren’t “handover” issues arguably as much related to both the handing over and receiving parties?

If I may use the analogy of the honourable Minister who so rightly said (something along the lines) in his much acclaimed speech in Parliament on the issue of “hawker centres’ cleaning” that if what he said was untrue, he would waive his rights and asked Aljunied MPs to sue him.

Perhaps it is time for my town council’s MPs to say something along the same lines – like if we have breached our statutory or fiduciary duties and responsibilities – sue us – but don’t keep repeating through our 150th Press freedom ranking media like “a broken tape recorder”!

Now let me as a resident of Aljunied become “a broken tape recorder” and ask again the following questions:

… Why is it that under Section 34 of the Town Council Act, when a different party takes over a town council after an election – 100% of the accumulated operating surplus has to be transferred to the sinking fund. This in effect, deprives the residents of the surplus for operating expenditure.

… Why is it that some town council facilities were transferred to the People’s Association after the last general elections?

… Why is it that a $2 company (AIM) was set up – which as it turned out required my town council to source for a new software system. This may cost more money which may come from the residents at the end of the day.

… Why did you keep threatening us in the previous elections (prior to the last one) that if we did not vote for you – our HDB flats would not be upgraded?​

And even now with upgrading in opposition wards – it still involves the Grassroots Advisor who typically is the losing candidate.

Leong Sze Hian

*Leong is the Past President of the Society of Financial Service Professionals, an alumnus of Harvard University, has authored 4 books, quoted over 1500 times in the media , has been host of a money radio show, a daily newspaper column, Wharton Fellow, SEACeM Fellow, columnist for Malaysiakini, executive producer of the movie Ilo Ilo (24 international awards). He has served as Honorary Consul of Jamaica and founding advisor to the Financial Planning Associations of Brunei and Indonesia. He has 3 Masters, 2 Bachelors and 13 professional qualifications.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think you forgot to ask why losing multi millions in high risk investment of public money but keep the books look like nice is considered acceptable.

tioliaohuat

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=2]A conflict of interest?[/h] May 13

10:39 2011

In the Straits Times on Thursday 12 May 2011, on page A4, “Cynthia Phua promises proper handover”, the following was reported:

“Aljunied Town Council is now managed by CPG Facilities Management, with whom the town council signed a three-year contract last year. CPG managing director Jeffrey Chua is the town council’s general manager. As the town council managing agent, CPG engages the services of other companies for services such as cleaning, maintenance and lift rescue.”

While CPG Corporation Pte Ltd is the corporatized and renamed Public Works Department, it is not apparent whether Mr Chua, as the Managing Director of CPG Facilities Management Pte Ltd holds shares or options in the firm CPG Facilities Management Pte Ltd (which appears to be a subsidiary of CPG Corporation Pte Ltd) or its parent.

Regardless, I find it difficult to understand how Mr Chua can carry out both his duties as the general manager of the town council, and the Managing Director of the town council’s managing agent.

Suppose Mr Chua, the Managing Director of CPG Facilities Management asked for a higher management fee, in order to deal with the rise in the foreign workers’ levy, would Mr Chua the general manager of Aljunied Town Council grant that request?

If the town upkeep is poor, and HDB blocks are dirty, would Mr Chua the general manager of Aljunied Town Council replace himself as the managing agent?

It appears that there is a conflict of interest in Mr Chua’s roles. If he receives a stipend or salary from both organizations, on whose behalf would he act? If he only receives a salary from CPG Facilities Management, how can he then act in the interest of the residents of Aljunied GRC?

What I find extremely worrying, however, is that this matter only came to light because the Workers’ Party won Aljunied GRC, and there now needs to be a handover. If the PAP had won, would this unhealthy arrangement have continued? Are there any other such apparent conflicts of interest that we do not know about?

http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/a-conflict-of-interest/

HUAT AH!

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
why question his integrity. CPG now sold by aussie to chinese. so the floor plans of our ministries, airport, istana and key facilities now landed with the chinese. what is worse? a town council or key facilities?

god_zeus

Alfrescian
Loyal
audio version

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TQSy7CyRx4I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The PAP should take up the challenge and get rid of the WP once and for all.

Why bother to sue? I say make use of the ISA to rid Singapore of this parasitic political party that collect their $15,000 MP allowance monthly while saying absolutely nothing in Parliament.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
sue sue sue and FOOking sue

screw bollah- awaiting yr cunty must have last word reply

let me then shout it out in front of the judge

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why bother to sue? I say make use of the ISA to rid Singapore of this parasitic political party that collect their $15,000 MP allowance monthly while saying absolutely nothing in Parliament.

You must be fed up with the political parties in NZ since there's no ISA to wipe either side out.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Uncle Leong ups the ante.

Why is the CPIB silent on this.

Bring them to court man.

Unless they know that WP has a secret card up its sleeves - hence the hesitation.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
MND should report the case to CAD if the breaches are really so serious. If MND don't do it, AHPETC should file a police report i.e filing a police report against themselves.

Do so will
1. Firstly, it cast doubts on MND allegations of wrongdoings. If it really so serious, why don't MND file a police report?
2. It shuts the the cronies and 154th from further commenting on the case since it under police investigation. This halt their well planned assault.
3. If police didn't take further action, then this is the best refute against PAP.

Last edited:

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Miw shld sue hammer if they have evidence to prove wp wrongdoing. Shouldnt delay any further.:rolleyes:

tanakow

Alfrescian
Loyal
MND should take this opportunity to wipe out the WP. As one smart guy said "if you think something is wrong, and you don't sue then people will draw a bad inference on you".

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
MND should take this opportunity to wipe out the WP. As one smart guy said "if you think something is wrong, and you don't sue then people will draw a bad inference on you".

of course coz when u sue, u must be the right party as the suer....

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think we have enough of fuel to have multiple confrontations:

PAP call in CPIB and CAD to investigate and charge the WP MPs on some trump out charges.
PAP gangsters and WP Ah Bengs fight on the street;
WP MPs battle it out in Parliament and international arena;
Kee Chiu, Vivian, Shamu will lead the charge for PAP.

Let the fightings begin.

WongMengMeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
First win the game for hearts and minds of the People. Then, at appropriate time (like close to GE) take legal action. Though, the impartiality of Courts in Sinkieland may be ... ... ahem ... ... you know what I mean, it is a game of brinkmanship and legal action is just the means to an end and not an end in itself. Bottom line is always to win hearts and minds of the People. :biggrin:

Mandamus is a judicial remedy in the form of an order from a superior court, to any government subordinate court, corporation, or public authority—to do (or forbear from doing) some specific act which that body is obliged under law to do (or refrain from doing)—and which is in the nature of public duty, and in certain cases one of a statutory duty.

For more see this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandamus

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now is actually a good time to revisit the AIM saga. When it was first touched on, there was still a positive balance for the people. Now, the accounts will show that Singaporeans are paying a lot of money for the software that AIM purchased at a huge discount and without a proper and qualified tender process. WP can also do well by telling the media and on their sites on the actual accounts that the PAP has failed to transfer correctly to the WP.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

hi there

1. Sammy, you should rule Mexico :biggrin:
2. fixing everything that obstructs