• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why are banks going into insurance?

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OCBC has Great Eastern, and UOB has Prudential.

These so-called financial consultants / personal bankers are doubling up as insurance agents.

Got conned by one UOB consultant. I thought really got 3% interest. Turns out telling me to buy this Prudential policy called "PruCash Max Limited Pay". Wasted my time.

There is really no 3% interest at all. It just an annual so-called cashback, where you get back about 3% of what you paid annually. Fucking hell, is UOB trying to pass this off as 3% interest? Anyone who doesn't understand what he is signing up for will get conned by the financial consultant because they will only tell you the goods things.

They will try not to tell you the bad things. This policy can make losses. There is no guarantee of principal. Best of all, the Prudential policy states that "PruCash Max Limited Pay is not a savings account".

Why is UOB so desperate to pass on their deposits to Prudential? Is UOB flushed with cash? What kind of money does UOB make from Prudential?

CheeBye! Why is UOB trying so hard to turn my savings account into a non-savings account in partnership with Prudential. Hey UOB, wake up your idea! If you want your personal bankers to be insurance agents, tell us upfront. Have you outsourced your personal bankers to Prudential?

Romagnum

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agents only care about commissions.

Only a 12-year old will believe all those "we listen" crap advertisements.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..............Got conned by one UOB consultant.......get conned by the financial consultant because they will only tell you the goods things.

They will try not to tell you the bad things........

Birds of the same feathers flock together.
The pappy is one of the biggest supporters of banks ever-investing billions of our reserves in banks all over the world and creating jobs for many Indians FT's (strangely not many local Indians work in banks) and Pinoys .

As for banks conning you-you are supposed to read and understand fully any documents you sign..
Unless you are illiterate, than you may have a case.
I think banks should be banned from selling investment/insurance products to customers who cannot understand them (eg without 'O' Level or above.).If they want to than they will have the legal responsibility to ensure the customers fully understand what they are buying.

Many banks are selling third party insurance/investment products because its a risk free fee based income.

Last edited:

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why KPKB here you can exercise 2 options: complain to MAS or exercise 2 weeks window period--Terminated the insurance.

OCBC has Great Eastern, and UOB has Prudential.

These so-called financial consultants / personal bankers are doubling up as insurance agents.

Got conned by one UOB consultant. I thought really got 3% interest. Turns out telling me to buy this Prudential policy called "PruCash Max Limited Pay". Wasted my time.

There is really no 3% interest at all. It just an annual so-called cashback, where you get back about 3% of what you paid annually. Fucking hell, is UOB trying to pass this off as 3% interest? Anyone who doesn't understand what he is signing up for will get conned by the financial consultant because they will only tell you the goods things.

They will try not to tell you the bad things. This policy can make losses. There is no guarantee of principal. Best of all, the Prudential policy states that "PruCash Max Limited Pay is not a savings account".

Why is UOB so desperate to pass on their deposits to Prudential? Is UOB flushed with cash? What kind of money does UOB make from Prudential?

CheeBye! Why is UOB trying so hard to turn my savings account into a non-savings account in partnership with Prudential. Hey UOB, wake up your idea! If you want your personal bankers to be insurance agents, tell us upfront. Have you outsourced your personal bankers to Prudential?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is called running Singapore as a financial hub under the brilliance leadership of Lee Hsien Loong. :wink:

What those banks do may be legal, but it is not always ethical. :cool:

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do not buy any financial product from bank. They stink! I bought unit trust from OCBC which made 5% upfront ad I lost over $40,000 over past 13 years!!! They are only interested in making commission profit but never there to give you professional financial advice for the money taken.
NOW why bother with insurance sold by banks? My maid inusurance refund is still NOT processed 2 months after departure of my maid...... what bloody service is this from GE subsidiary?
Already banks are screwing us with super low interests but when lending to us, they charge 5-6 %!!! This is fair? Do you expect anything good from institutions practising unfairly??

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dun 4get, if u lose ur moni wif any sinkie bank financial product, dat loon burger wil tel u ... u went in wif ur i's open ...

he told u b4, he wil tel u again! ...

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Actually, this should be reported to MAS. You need a licence to sell insurance in SIngapore. A regular personal banker who looks after a client's protfiolio is rarely also licenced to sell insurance. They may be authorized to sell mutual funds, loan products, place the client's cash in bonds or whatever fixed deposit instruments, but almost never sell insurance also. The licencing for insurance salesmen is quite onerous, as well, and the bank must have an oversight broker to look after their behaviour. In fact, most banks are required to segregate their insurance operations, that is why u will see a bank owned insurance company in one building, and the HQ in another. In this case, the personla banker should have referred the client to a licensed colleague at Pridential, and let the insurance agent take over.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do not buy any financial product from bank. They stink! I bought unit trust from OCBC which made 5% upfront ad I lost over $40,000 over past 13 years!!! They are only interested in making commission profit but never there to give you professional financial advice for the money taken.
NOW why bother with insurance sold by banks? My maid inusurance refund is still NOT processed 2 months after departure of my maid...... what bloody service is this from GE subsidiary?
Already banks are screwing us with super low interests but when lending to us, they charge 5-6 %!!! This is fair? Do you expect anything good from institutions practising unfairly??

I used to have ALL of my $$$ invested in unit trusts. After years of low returns I switched to equities & that was when I started getting big returns.
Now the only unit trust I own are my CPF investments. They are of course making a loss but since I can't touch my CPF I am leaving them alone.

I don't believe in buying insurance in Spore because it's so easy for companies to deny payment. It's not like in Canada where there is better consumer protection.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to have ALL of my $$$ invested in unit trusts. After years of low returns I switched to equities & that was when I started getting big returns.
Now the only unit trust I own are my CPF investments. They are of course making a loss but since I can't touch my CPF I am leaving them alone.

I don't believe in buying insurance in Spore because it's so easy for companies to deny payment. It's not like in Canada where there is better consumer protection.

My hero!!................. PS: tell me earlier lah.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, this should be reported to MAS. You need a licence to sell insurance in SIngapore. A regular personal banker who looks after a client's protfiolio is rarely also licenced to sell insurance. They may be authorized to sell mutual funds, loan products, place the client's cash in bonds or whatever fixed deposit instruments, but almost never sell insurance also. The licencing for insurance salesmen is quite onerous, as well, and the bank must have an oversight broker to look after their behaviour. In fact, most banks are required to segregate their insurance operations, that is why u will see a bank owned insurance company in one building, and the HQ in another. In this case, the personla banker should have referred the client to a licensed colleague at Pridential, and let the insurance agent take over.

MAS is useless: at best they will tell your to refer to another agency but most of the time they dun even bother to reply to you! Understand an Ah Neh is shouting orders there.............again we are overwhelm ny Ah Neh!
One Natan gone, many more to go.....

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My hero!!................. PS: tell me earlier lah.

Earlier I didn't have enough experience lah. Now that I've made $$$ I can recommend :smile:

After my positive experience in the US market I can recommend investing in the US & to avoid the Spore market. The brokerage fees in the US is much cheaper & for most people it is just a flat fee of under US$10 for executing a buy/sell. There is no holding fee. So if the intent is to hold a stock for the dividen, you only have to pay the US gov'ts a holding fee of 30%. Have held some stocks for over 10+ years & have never had to pay any fee. Unlike in Spore where if you don't trade enough they'll charge a service fee for holding stocks. So for those who are not frequent traders e.g. holding stocks for the dividens. It's cheaper to do that in the US or Malaysia.

Back then it was quite diffcult to invest in the US market. The local brokers were only interested if you were an individual with a high net worth. My broker told me that it was actually the MAS which tried to make life difficult for the small investor.

Nowadays with the internet, it is easy to open an account with a discount broker like Etrade, Think or Swim, Interactive Brokers,....
If you want to trade Malaysian shares you can open a trading account through Maybank, Stand Chart,... in JB.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Earlier I didn't have enough experience lah. Now that I've made $$$ I can recommend :smile:

After my positive experience in the US market I can recommend investing in the US & to avoid the Spore market. The brokerage fees in the US is much cheaper & for most people it is just a flat fee of under US$10 for executing a buy/sell. There is no holding fee. So if the intent is to hold a stock for the dividen, you only have to pay the US gov'ts a holding fee of 30%. Have held some stocks for over 10+ years & have never had to pay any fee. Unlike in Spore where if you don't trade enough they'll charge a service fee for holding stocks. So for those who are not frequent traders e.g. holding stocks for the dividens. It's cheaper to do that in the US or Malaysia.

Back then it was quite diffcult to invest in the US market. The local brokers were only interested if you were an individual with a high net worth. My broker told me that it was actually the MAS which tried to make life difficult for the small investor.

Nowadays with the internet, it is easy to open an account with a discount broker like Etrade, Think or Swim, Interactive Brokers,....
If you want to trade Malaysian shares you can open a trading account through Maybank, Stand Chart,... in JB.

Ok How much deposit does maybank wants to open a trading account in RM....not found of them or Stan Chart but how much? how about the rest like RHB?? do we have to open an account with, whats that name..like CDP over there?? how to check if one, still have an account? I used to have one with KLSE clearing...that's how long I have been out..

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ok How much deposit does maybank wants to open a trading account in RM....not found of them or Stan Chart but how much? how about the rest like RHB?? do we have to open an account with, whats that name..like CDP over there?? how to check if one, still have an account? I used to have one with KLSE clearing...that's how long I have been out..

You can open an account with Maybank by visiting their Equity Investment Centre. It is on the 3rd floor of the Maybank branch at
10 & 12 Jalan Pinggai
Taman Pelangi
80400 Johore Bahru

I think you only need RM$200 or 300 to open a trading account. That is what I initially used to open an account. After opening the account I had my broker in Spore transfer my Malaysian shares I've owned since the CLOB days to my new account at Maybank. When CLOB was closed, the shares I owned were eventually transferred to my broker in Spore.

I heard that you can also open a trading account with the other banks but have no experience with them. Someone told me that RHB's platform is prettier but they charge more to trade.
Maybanks online trading platform is ugly & you need internet explorer to access the platform.

If you want to find out more I recommend visiting them at Jalan Pingai & asking them. The taxi drivers are familiar with the Maybank at this location.

You can try to email the following person:
Sharifah Ltifah Syed Faud(Investment share manager)
[email protected]

Suriyothai

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am also a insurance agent. small time one. Property not life or any financial product. Speaking of agents, there are indeed a lot of them with less than half bucket shit knowledge. Even people working inside insurance companies just slightly better, still see many poorly or wrongly arranged policy resulting in less claim settlement or ZERO settlement. Sad....