• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sochi Winter Olympic 2014

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hold the corruption charges; Russia's Sotnikova earned the gold

SOCHI, Russia – She stood there with her back to the television that was broadcasting the change in her life. Adelina Sotnikova did not know. But then, she did know. She did not know she was about to win the gold medal in figure skating. But she already knew she had earned it.

When defending Olympic champion Yuna Kim finished skating and her score was posted, cheers emerged from every crevice of the Iceberg Skating Palace, and its new princess ran down a hallway to celebrate. I don’t care if you love figure skating or don’t care about it at all. When a 17-year-old stands alone on the ice and uses four minutes of precision, poise and grace to captures the hearts of her country, that’s a hell of a thing.

Russia has its star for these games now, its new national hero, just a day after the men’s hockey team exited these Olympics and seemed to extinguish the flame on its way out.

Sotnikova was not anointed. She was not even supposed to be the face of Russian women’s figure skating, let alone the Sochi Olympics. But you know how it is with 17-year-olds. They believe what they want to believe.

Figure skating’s future just knocked its past out of the picture. Kim said Thursday this was her last competition. The bronze medalist, Italy’s Carolina Kostner, retired once already and is 27, ancient for a figure skater.

This was Sotnikova’s moment, and with a bold and daring performance, she seized it. Kim admitted she was not quite as motivated here as she was in Vancouver in 2010. Sotnikova said she was more motivated than she has ever been. Maybe that was the difference.

She also said she couldn’t believe her scores. This was probably the wide-eyed amazement of someone who just kicked the world’s butt, but it will inflame those who ignore the girl running down the hallway and look for shadowy figures around the corner.

Someday – heck, maybe tonight – we may hear a substantive allegation of corruption. Until then, hold your fire. Think about this rationally, OK? Sotnikova was a national champion when she was 12, but she was not supposed to be the Russian darling of these Games. That was Yulia Lipnitskaya, which is why Russia chose her, not the older Sotnikova, for the team figure-skating competition. Sotnikova said Thursday that really “burned my borscht.” OK, I made the quote up, but what she said, according to an interpreter, was this:

“When I didn’t compete in the team event, I decided I would fight for a medal in the individual event, and I got it.”

Now, if Russian officials wanted to fix the ladies’ free skate, why would they fix it so their second-best skater would win? How does that make sense? I guess it’s possible that Sotnikova associates set up the whole thing, but again, I’m going to need at least a bit of evidence.

Focus on the disparity in their elements scores if you want. (Sotnikova beat Kim, 75.64-69.69 in elements, which was the difference between gold and silver). There were a lot of factors in Sotnikova winning, and most of them were not easily fixable. Lipnitskaya fell in the free skate. So did American hope Gracie Gold. Mao Asada, a two-time world champion, botched her short program, knocking her out of medal contention.

And Sotnikova skated a nearly flawless short program and free skate – and that free skate was, by any measure, tougher to execute than Kim’s. If the judges were swayed by anything, it was probably the crowd, not a suitcase full of unmarked rubles.

Of course, there will be speculation and innuendo anyway, and I understand that. Figure skating’s history is not good, and while the scoring system is transparent now, the scorers themselves remain anonymous. American Ashley Wagner complained about it afterwards, and she is right. But a lack of transparency is not the same as corruption.

There is nothing quite like an Olympic figure skating free skate in sports, except maybe the Kentucky Derby, but horses are lousy interviews. In their joint press conference afterward, Kim talked about the end. Kostner talked about her doubts after finishing 16th in Vancouver: “I told myself, Carolina, you have to accept this is your limit,” but Carolina did not listen to Carolina. She missed the sport. She came back and promised “not to see it so seriously and not try to be perfect all the time.”

That is the challenge and appeal of figure skating: Skaters must be as close to perfect as they can, without worrying too much about being perfect. There are no teammates to save them, no play-calls to cover deficiencies, no referee whistles to bail them out.

Even the best skaters in the world struggle to match the moment. Asada did it in the free skate but admitted she “really felt the fear of skating at the Olympics” in the short program. Gracie Gold finished fourth and said afterward that she expected fourth before the free skate, so she was cool with it. Lipnitskaya was breathtaking for much of her skate, astounding for a 15-year-old, but she lost her medal hopes when she fell, and she knew it. And of course, Kim said she was more motivated in Vancouver than Sochi.

Adelina Sotnikova? She came for gold. She knew she had won it as she ran down a hallway in Sochi, in skates, into the rest of her life.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sotnikova stuns Kim to win dramatic figure skating gold
By Emmeline Moore (AFP) – 2 hours ago
Sochi — Adelina Sotnikova won Russia's first ever women's Olympic figure skating gold in dramatic circumstances on Thursday as defending champion Kim Yu-Na was dumped into the silver medal position.
The 17-year-old took her first major title ahead of South Korean superstar Kim with Italy's Carolina Kostner winning the bronze after the free skating final.
"I can't do anything about this. I did all I could," said Kim, 23, who later confirmed it was her final competition.
"The result was good because I made no mistake. The scores are given by the judges so I'm not in the right position to comment and there is nothing that will change with my words. The most important thing for me is to participate in these Games."
Despite an error when she two-footed a double loop in her combination jump Sotnikova improved her free skate score by a massive 18 points from her previous best a month ago at the Europeans.
"Any questions are for the judges, not for me. I did my job. I gave a gift to Russia," said the skater from Moscow.
It was a third title in Sochi for hosts Russia, with shouts of "Spassiba, Spassiba' (thanks) resounding around the Iceberg Skating Palace.
"I didn't see the performance of Yu-Na, but I did see her score. When I saw them, I just ran to my coach. I couldn't believe it," said Sotnikova.
She achieved the second best score ever in the free skate and was just 0.11 off the world record mark Kim achieved on her way to gold in Vancouver four years ago.
In contrast, both Kim and Kostner gave error-free performances.
- 'My last competition as a skater' -
"I just have faith that the judges made the right decision," said former world champion Kostner.
Kim said: "I'm so happy to be here. That was my last competition as a skater. I didn't watch the skaters so I didn't know about the other scores or how they skated."
The reigning world champion's season had been hampered by a right foot injury.
"I didn't feel any pressure but it has been four years since Vancouver so I was exhausted," said Kim.
"I'm so glad it's over. Training is so hard for any athlete. When I finished I was so tired."
Kim had been bidding to become just the third woman to win back-to-back titles after Norway's Sonja Henie, triple winner between 1928 and 1936, and Germany's Katarina Witt in 1984 and 1988.
She had watched in tears as the scores came up putting her second, 5.48 points behind four-time Russian national champion Sotnikova, who finished runner-up at the Europeans behind countrywoman Julia Lipnitskaia last month.
Lipnitskaia, 15, finished fifth on Thursday after she fell on a triple Salchow jump.
Sotnikova landed seven triples including a triple Lutz-triple toeloop to score 149.95 points for her skate to "Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso" for an overall 224.59 points.
- 'Atmosphere was wonderful' -
"I smashed my highest score for my whole career and I did it at the Olympics. I didn't think I could skate like I did today," said Sotnikova, who had been overlooked for the team event in which Russia won gold with Lipnitskaia.
"The atmosphere was wonderful. I felt something amazing coming from the crowd. I could hear shouts and screams the whole time of 'keep going Adelina', and 'you can do it'. I just couldn't skate badly."
Kim scored 144.19 points for her free skate to Astor Piazzolla's tango "Adios Nonino", which included six triples, for an overall 219.11.
Kostner's stunning skate to Ravel's "Bolero" included seven triples and she achieved 142.61 for her skate for an overall 216.73 to give Italy their first Olympic singles medal in figure skating.
Sotnikova had been just 0.28 behind Kim after the short programme with Kostner, 27, a further 0.52 adrift going into Thursday's free skating final.
It was a third figure skating title for Russia at the Sochi Games after winning the pairs and team events.
"I think we're all very surprised," said American Ashley Wagner of Sotnikova's success, after having watched Kim skate.
"I saw a lot of very nice, decent landings (from Kim) and I am speechless."
Wagner finished seventh as the US women finished off the podium for a second straight Olympics.
US champion Gracie Gold finished fourth after a fall with Japan's Mao Asada moving up to sixth from 16th after the short programme, with a stunning free skate in which she landed a triple Axel jump, to become the first woman to do so at consecutive Olympics

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That Russian-kie make a mistake in the jump and still get the gold??? what the hell?

Russian is an ass.

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Korean girl Kim Yuna should have won the gold, just like the report made by France media, US and Russian judge has already agree to whom shall win gold in figure skating...:*:

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Watch the woman hockey final, very good game, should be fun watching the man hockey between US and Canada tomorrow....rooting for Canada.....:biggrin:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
s_s01_69399759.jpg

Emily Cook of the United States practices ahead of the Freestyle Skiing Ladies' Aerials Finals on day seven of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics at Rosa Khutor Extreme Park in Sochi, Russia, on February 14, 2014.

s_s02_69924571.jpg

Pilot Beat Hefti and Alex Baumann of Switzerland team 1 in action during the Men's Two-Man Bobsleigh on Day 10 of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics at Sliding Center Sanki, on February 17, 2014.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
s_s04_31724300.jpg

Charlene Guignard and Marco Fabbri of Italy compete in the ice dance free dance figure skating finals at the Iceberg Skating Palace, on February 17, 2014.

s_s05_69953739.jpg

US gold medalists Meryl Davis and Charlie White pose during the Figure Skating Ice Dance Flower Ceremony at the Iceberg Skating Palace, on February 17, 2014.

s_s06_69678323.jpg

Bode Miller of the USA wins the joint bronze medal during the Alpine Skiing Men's Super-G at Rosa Khutor Alpine Center on February 16, 2014.

s_s07_93243567.jpg

Bode Miller is held by his wife, Morgan, after after finishing third in the men's super-G, on February 16, 2014, in Krasnaya Polyana.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
s_s08_43966600.jpg

Poland's Maciej Jodko looks at the foggy slope after the cancellation of the men's snowboard cross competition at the Rosa Khutor Extreme Park, on February 17, 2014.

s_s11_RTX18TLH.jpg

A person climbs on the Bolshoi Dome, one of the ice hockey venues, before a medals ceremony, on February 14, 2014.

s_s12_RTX18R6F.jpg

Russia's Evgeny Plyushchenko walks off the ice as he withdraws from competition during the Figure Skating Men's Short Program, on February 13, 2014.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
s_s14_88366604.jpg

China's Wu Chao jumps during men's freestyle skiing aerials training at Rosa Khutor Extreme Park, on February 15, 2014.

s_s16_RTX18XSV.jpg

From left, second-placed Ireen Wust, first-placed Jorien ter Mors and third-placed Lotte Van Beek, all of the Netherlands, celebrate on the podium during the flower ceremony for the women's 1,500 meter speed skating event at the Adler Arena, on February 16, 2014.

s_s15_RTX18PZR.jpg

Sweden's Henrik Harlaut crashes during the men's freestyle skiing slopestyle qualification round, on February 13, 2014.

s_s17_63075027.jpg

Sweden's women's 4x5K cross-country relay team (from left) Charlotte Kalla, Anna Haag, Emma Wiken, and Ida Ingemarsdotter, celebrate winning the gold after the women's 4x5K cross-country relay at the 2014 Winter Olympics, on February 15, 2014.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
s_s18_65783662.jpg

Kim Alang of South Korea, right, and Cho Ha-ri of South Korea compete in a women's 1500m short track speedskating semifinal at the Iceberg Skating Palace, on February 15, 2014.

s_s23_60145774.jpg

A young fan with an American flag waits for the start of the men's two-man bobsled competition, on February 16, 2014, in Krasnaya Polyana.

s_s24_58841005.jpg

Sadie Bjornsen of the United States skis in a sleeveless top past a hole in the snow during the women's 4x5K cross-country relay on February 15, 2014.

s_s25_11803834.jpg

A volunteer enjoys the warming sun beside a banner reading "Sochi 2014 - Hot. Cool. Yours", prior to the women's 10K classical-style cross-country race in Krasnaya Polyana, on February 13, 2014.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
s_s26_69132971.jpg

Justyna Kowalczyk of Poland reacts after crossing the finish line during the Ladies' 10km Classic Cross-Country during day six of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics, on February 13, 2014.

s_s28_74780474.jpg

The team from the United States USA-3, Nick Cunningham, second from left, and brakeman Dallas Robinson, far left, greet teammates from USA-3, Nick Cunningham and brakeman Dallas Robinson, as they finish their final run during the men's two-man bobsled competition in Krasnaya Polyana, on February 17, 2014.

s_s30_RTX18POO.jpg

Ted Ligety of the U.S. takes a big jump during the downhill run of the men's alpine skiing super combined training session at the Rosa Khutor Alpine Center, on February 13, 2014.

s_s33_69961355.jpg

Anders Fannemel of Norway lands during the Men's Team Ski Jumping final round on day 10 of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics at the RusSki Gorki Ski Jumping Center, on February 17, 2014.

s_s34_RTX18X37.jpg

Jacqueline Hernandez of the U.S. lies on a stretcher after crashing during the women's snowboard cross qualification round in Rosa Khutor, on February 16, 2014. Hernandez, who went out sixth, was the second faller, hitting the slope with a thud as she tried to land backwards and appearing to lose consciousness as the whiplash smashed her head into the snow. Two of the first six riders in Sunday's opening snowboard cross seeding run fell heavily and were taken away on stretchers, a day after Russian freestyle skiier Maria Komissarova was seriously injured on the same course.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Watch the woman hockey final, very good game, should be fun watching the man hockey between US and Canada tomorrow....rooting for Canada.....:biggrin:

men hockey, last olympic, canada only win because they are the host, and it was a very close game. This time i hope USA wins.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
s_s31_RTX18MFM.jpg

Members of Japan's women's ice hockey team bow to the crowd after their loss to Russia, on February 11, 2014.

s_s35_69940779.jpg

Darya Domracheva of Belarus skis to win a gold medal during the Biathlon Women's 12.5km Mass Start at the Laura Cross-country Ski & Biathlon Center, on February 17, 2014.

s_s36_91758359.jpg

Athletes at the start of the women's biathlon 12.5k mass-start, on February 17, 2014, in Krasnaya Polyana, Russia.

s_s37_RTX18XF3.jpg

France's Robin Duvillard celebrates with team staff members after the men's cross-country 4 x 10km relay event at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, on February 16, 2014. Sweden finished first ahead of Russia and France.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That Russian-kie make a mistake in the jump and still get the gold??? what the hell?

Russian is an ass.

double on the last combination, very low marks loss. That is not the problem, the problem is her score is 2nd highest in history of ladies free.
When you look at her program as a whole? you ask what??

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Russia Figure Skating squad

one competitor fall
yulia-lipnitskaya-olympics-fall.jpg

another pick up the rifle marches on
skating1.jpg

Like in WW2.

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
men hockey, last olympic, canada only win because they are the host, and it was a very close game. This time i hope USA wins.

Home ice doesn't really mean anything , look what happen to the Russian, US and Canada team are all professional players, it is who are more hungry for the win.

it is a sudden dead game, unlike NHL 7 games series....Team Canada are more hungry.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Home ice doesn't really mean anything , look what happen to the Russian, US and Canada team are all professional players, it is who are more hungry for the win.

it is a sudden dead game, unlike NHL 7 games series....Team Canada are more hungry.

you are right.