• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Early retirement in JB

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
LOL! Someone once commented in a condescending way that my family moving over to JB was a downgrade from Singapore. I don't know about you but I don't see how moving from a leasehold 3 bedroomn HDB to a freehold 3 storey terrace house is a downgrade, esp when the JB house was bought at the same price in Singapore dollars as the HDB but is 3x bigger than the HDB! Not forgetting too that I get to rent out the HDB and derive some decent income from there. But most of all, we are happier living in JB! Cheap food, cheap movies, even cheaper bootleg DVDs which there is no need to cross over customs in Singapore. :biggrin:

Last time, I did have worries that one may be too far away from SG if I retire in JB. But with RTS/HSR, internet setup boxes and in future, driverless cars, it certainly wont be an issue anymore.

bakkuttay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I also heard of sporeans who has never stepped into jb for 20 years talking down on jb houses. They should drop by PH one day and i think they might faint upon hearing that the price Is just a 3 room flat in spore. So is it downgrade?
You find even in sbf courtyard that many depend on sg media esp Chinese evening papers for all the bad news abt our northern neighours. Sg immigration is organised to discourage going to malaysia. Compared to jb CIQ, sg is 3rd world standard.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
better retire to jb and rather be a 2nd or 3rd class citizens,

in singapore you get a PM that runs down its own citizens.

2 of my neighbours gone over already .

Good and happy for people to retire in JB, Japan or anywhere else. But it makes no difference if still Spore citizen with no other passport. Eventually Spore is still our only home. I think election 2015/6 is very important and our only chance left, if still don't vote for change, we'll have no more chance with the relentless import of new citizen.

Aviator

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good and happy for people to retire in JB, Japan or anywhere else. But it makes no difference if still Spore citizen with no other passport. Eventually Spore is still our only home. I think election 2015/6 is very important and our only chance left, if still don't vote for change, we'll have no more chance with the relentless import of new citizen.

Won't happen la.
The views expressed here are still very much the minority.
Majority will still vote for stability and certainty.
No need to argue, just watch in 1-2 years time for verdict.
The express train and open floodgates only matter of time... pop 10M coming! :smile:

Skooz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Won't happen la.
The express train and open floodgates only matter of time... pop 10M coming! :smile:
Matter of time .now sg gearing up for election toned down a bit wait till they were given the mandate 10 M is a sure thing .even now population is 5.9 M declared who knows exact amount.

Ambulance

Alfrescian
Loyal
halo wu good news lobang gai seow boh

You find even in sbf courtyard that many depend on sg media esp Chinese evening papers for all the bad news abt our northern neighours. Sg immigration is organised to discourage going to malaysia. Compared to jb CIQ, sg is 3rd world standard.

bakkuttay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No lah, go jb 2-3 times a week for food, have not felt threatened for last 5-6 years. Of course be discreet and avoid attracting attention towards yourself.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Instead of asking what activities retirees can do and enjoy in JB.
Maybe someone should start a tropic on what activities our retirees can do and enjoy in Singapore .
1) Early in the morning they enjoy going to HDB Kopitiam KPKP about how bad are gov policies ....?
2) Mid morning they can enjoy walking around HDB estate to feed stray dogs , cats and rats..?
3) After peak hours they can enjoy our world class free ride on MRT around the whole island with PG cards..?
4) At night they enjoy going around shopping mall to collect some cartoon boxes and alu cans.. ?
5) Retirees also enjoy driving around, in and out of ERPs , and rack up parking free in tens of dollars ..?

Look like they have more activities to kill their deep pockets , that is way they say JB is a boring cowboy town

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Won't happen la.

20% can say still very much the minority, but 40% voted opposition cannot be considered as still very much the minority. And with the population white paper done after GE2011 and LHL suing Roy etc, this percentage can only go up.

People should realise by now voting for opposition is the only way to ensure stability in the long run. Hopefully people are not taken in by the superficial and not lasting changes like one time offer Pioneer generation card.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Instead of asking what activities retirees can do and enjoy in JB.
Maybe someone should start a tropic on what activities our retirees can do and enjoy in Singapore .
1) Early in the morning they enjoy going to HDB Kopitiam KPKP about how bad are gov policies ....?
2) Mid morning they can enjoy walking around HDB estate to feed stray dogs , cats and rats..?
3) After peak hours they can enjoy our world class free ride on MRT around the whole island with PG cards..?
4) At night they enjoy going around shopping mall to collect some cartoon boxes and alu cans.. ?
5) Retirees also enjoy driving around, in and out of ERPs , and rack up parking free in tens of dollars ..?

Look like they have more activities to kill their deep pockets , that is way they say JB is a boring cowboy town

Just now I watched TV news, they actually went to Korea to interview a few elderly people doing cardboard collection. Maybe to let us know that this is not unique activity to Spore? But I have never seen any elderly collecting cardboard in JB. In fact, saw very few elderly with white hair still working in JB, mostly only see them strolling with their family members in Jusco.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
I personally don't think the present government will lose a lot of votes in the next GE. Maybe 1 or 2 more constituency might be lost that's all. Maybe instead of winning 61% votes, they might win only 55-60% but they will still win the majority. There are actually a lot of PAP supporters around. Just that they don't frequent or comment in the online forums with anti-government sentiments expressed so we don't feel their presence so much.

Besides, read this:

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...potential-new-candidates-the-ground-ahead-nex

They are already beefing up their army of future white shirt politicians. I find the opposition will have a very tough time.

There are many voters who are afraid of change. I have heard countless times Singaporeans who don't like the government but because they work in the civil service, they are scared they can be traced during election so they will still choose to vote for PAP. We are losing a lot of votes from these people who don't dare to vote for the opposition.

And seriously, which opposition is fit to handle the big stuffs in Singapore? Name one opposition member who can be our new PM, Finance Minister, Health Minister, etc. There is none.

At best what we can do is to "suck thumb" and bow down to the government as we have been doing for decades. Or just migrate. There's really nothing much that we can do. The rich will love this place.

Just ordered iced Milo from a neighbourhood coffeeshop today and was surprised when I had to pay $1.60. It wasn't too long that it cost only $1.40, and then $1.50... and now $1.60?!

I find this country has changed so much over a short period of time that I don't recognise it any more. I don't even feel the sense of pride of being a citizen. It's more like a big business hub or company. Just work here for the money but it's not for retirement unless you are rich to begin with, which I am sure quite a few are here. But even they are choosing to move out!

Read this also:

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...rning-away-diners-due-growing-labour-crunch-2

It's ridiculous how things are progressing. First the government admitted many foreigners and give them PR or Citizenship to attract businesses. Locals were side-stepped and underpaid. It was a boom for businesses. Property prices here shot up. Cost of living also shot up. They claim improving the economy is extremely important. But I think the big mistake was they overdid it. They tried to fatten the goose too quickly to try to produce more and more golden eggs.

Now the bad consequences are showing up. From businesses that prosper to now businesses had to turn away customers cos they cannot afford or cannot hire enough foreign workers in their restaurants! From expensive properties to now oversupply of properties and prices are dropping. I think the authorities should reflect on their greed and lack of foresight. Trying to speed things up for monetary gains can have the knives falling down on them at the end.

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last time, I did have worries that one may be too far away from SG if I retire in JB. But with RTS/HSR, internet setup boxes and in future, driverless cars, it certainly wont be an issue anymore.

With the RTS, I believe jb will look very different from today. Take out the bad experience of crossing the causeway from the equation and the number of people crossing over will increase by 4 times at the minimum. Just look at the queue for the bus at kranji mrt every weekend.

ComingToJB

Alfrescian
Loyal
I personally don't think the present government will lose a lot of votes in the next GE. Maybe 1 or 2 more constituency might be lost that's all. Maybe instead of winning 61% votes, they might win only 55-60% but they will still win the majority. There are actually a lot of PAP supporters around. Just that they don't frequent or comment in the online forums with anti-government sentiments expressed so we don't feel their presence so much.

Besides, read this:

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...potential-new-candidates-the-ground-ahead-nex

They are already beefing up their army of future white shirt politicians. I find the opposition will have a very tough time.

There are many voters who are afraid of change. I have heard countless times Singaporeans who don't like the government but because they work in the civil service, they are scared they can be traced during election so they will still choose to vote for PAP. We are losing a lot of votes from these people who don't dare to vote for the opposition.

And seriously, which opposition is fit to handle the big stuffs in Singapore? Name one opposition member who can be our new PM, Finance Minister, Health Minister, etc. There is none.

At best what we can do is to "suck thumb" and bow down to the government as we have been doing for decades. Or just migrate. There's really nothing much that we can do. The rich will love this place.

Just ordered iced Milo from a neighbourhood coffeeshop today and was surprised when I had to pay $1.60. It wasn't too long that it cost only $1.40, and then $1.50... and now $1.60?!

I find this country has changed so much over a short period of time that I don't recognise it any more. I don't even feel the sense of pride of being a citizen. It's more like a big business hub or company. Just work here for the money but it's not for retirement unless you are rich to begin with, which I am sure quite a few are here. But even they are choosing to move out!

Read this also:

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...rning-away-diners-due-growing-labour-crunch-2

It's ridiculous how things are progressing. First the government admitted many foreigners and give them PR or Citizenship to attract businesses. Locals were side-stepped and underpaid. It was a boom for businesses. Property prices here shot up. Cost of living also shot up. They claim improving the economy is extremely important. But I think the big mistake was they overdid it. They tried to fatten the goose too quickly to try to produce more and more golden eggs.

Now the bad consequences are showing up. From businesses that prosper to now businesses had to turn away customers cos they cannot afford or cannot hire enough foreign workers in their restaurants! From expensive properties to now oversupply of properties and prices are dropping. I think the authorities should reflect on their greed and lack of foresight. Trying to speed things up for monetary gains can have the knives falling down on them at the end.

Well said!!

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very well said!

But I always believe what Chua CD (Formal MCA-MY) quoted: 上台靠机会.

These people are politicians, no one except themselves know what are their motivation behind beside "to serve the people". If they were given an opportunities, how do you know they can't performed better than our ministers standard which are already well known (JLB)?

I personally ... so we don't feel their presence so much.

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
WP as a whole is quite low Key so far.
So could be their strategy.

Coz WP dun need do anytink. Public is stirring itself.
All they need do is not get sue and contest next election more wards.

:biggrin:

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
WP as a whole is quite low Key so far.
So could be their strategy.

Coz WP dun need do anytink. Public is stirring itself.
All they need do is not get sue and contest next election more wards.

:biggrin:

a smart move indeed I feel. Nonetheless, don't fix what is not broken. Naturally they are still the most preferred opposition by a large margin. When CST stepped down and Mrs took over, Potong Pasir falls from grace. however when Mr Low departed to contest in Aljunied GRC, even with a by election, Hougang still remains as a stronghold for WP.