• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Early retirement in JB

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
Different stroke for different folks. There will be lots of things to do beside working when retired, I can attest to that. I began reading history on China, Roman, Persian, European etc. It's my own take that despite the passage of time, from monarchy to modern day so called democracy, the manipulation of the human kinds or hypocrisy has not changed or stopped, albeit a few selfless individuals did surface like Sun Yet San, Gandhi, Abraham Lincoln ... Similarly, in many companies, manipulation or some called office politics are not only tolerated but sometimes encouraged. I have worked in few of these companies. The higher one rises, the more this politicking is felt. This killed the joy of working for me who endured and saved enough to retire and get away from it. How I wish I had found time to read up on history to understand mankind better. That way, I will be less idealistic and perhaps more at ease with politicking while working :-(

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
If u enjoy what u are doing and gets PAID for it, why stop if health/family time can be balanced?
I believe to retire fully or semi is no issue at watever Age. It's U who decides what U want to do with UR life.
There are 1001 things to do & learn besides working(Job) to keep yourself busy.
Important is ur passive income whatsoever is sustainable.

Cheers!

It's most important that u get to enjoy what you are doing. If u get PAID for doing it, that's heavenly; if not, u can do it when u hv saved enough to go into retirement FROM WORKING, like what I am doing now.

I did reach quite a high enough post which enabled me to save enough to retire before 55. Though I tried hard, I wasn't able to totally avoid the politics which more or less affected not only me, but my staff as well. Ironically, after I retired, my (ex)-staff and I become closer friends and the conversations were more open whenever we meet up over lunch. They were frank enough to tell me that, Bo Bian, they hv to work to feed the family. I guess I can empathise with working people planning for retirement at a young age as I went through that journey myself. Hopefully, we are the exception, not the norm.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's most important that u get to enjoy what you are doing. If u get PAID for doing it, that's heavenly; if not, u can do it when u hv saved enough to go into retirement FROM WORKING, like what I am doing now.

I did reach quite a high enough post which enabled me to save enough to retire before 55. Though I tried hard, I wasn't able to totally avoid the politics which more or less affected not only me, but my staff as well. Ironically, after I retired, my (ex)-staff and I become closer friends and the conversations were more open whenever we meet up over lunch. They were frank enough to tell me that, Bo Bian, they hv to work to feed the family. I guess I can empathise with working people planning for retirement at a young age as I went through that journey myself. Hopefully, we are the exception, not the norm.

Totally agreed. I enjoy what I am doing now and watching my colleagues who joined me fresh from college, now became family men with school going children make me proud. We are all part of a big family. Retiring is not an option but going on a month leave without interfering the daily operations is as good as semi retiring. Maybe in 10 years time, I will think about it. For now, it is still grinding . I can stop but my colleagues and my customers can't. Cannot bear with the thoughts of being idle even though fishing and sea faring life is great. Then again, you can't be eating fish every day.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
retire too early nothing to do, not healthy for the mind and soul

That is the biggest myth I ever heard, working gives stress, no time to exercise, no time to cook healthy meals at home, eat out all the time, sedentary job at office, all leading to unhealthy and early death.

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is the biggest myth I ever heard, working gives stress, no time to exercise, no time to cook healthy meals at home, eat out all the time, sedentary job at office, all leading to unhealthy and early death.

not really...I have seen many who pass on soon after stopping work. The trick is to take on slower paced work so that u won't be overly stressed. Pay is no longer the main concern. I have a few colleagues who came back to work after they cannot tahan the boredom .

Last edited:

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
not really...I have seen many who pass on soon after stopping work. The trick is to take on slower paced work so that u won't be overly stressed. Pay is no longer the main concern.

Once you retired, you won't go around looking for vice, but vice activities will come to you. Go Genting Highlands and you see all the old people there, free transport provided for by Genting buses. That's why we say when you have all the money and nothing to do, your mind start to wander...in the end, it is bad for health, unnecessary stress and bad for family.

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once you retired, you won't go around looking for vice, but vice activities will come to you. Go Genting Highlands and you see all the old people there, free transport provided for by Genting buses. That's why we say when you have all the money and nothing to do, your mind start to wander...in the end, it is bad for health, unnecessary stress and bad for family.

While I do not condone vice activities, I do believe that one should enjoy life while alive. For example, I "live to eat" and not "eat to live". If I have to practise healthy eating all the time, I may not want to live on. Having said that, I do believe in moderation in whatever one does. So I would not eat unhealthy diets all the time.

One benefit of retirement for me personally is that I get to pack my bag and go on tours without too much of pre-planning. I also enjoy the tours more sans worrying over office running smoothly.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
My god with that u gonna live a kings life there!

Not really, as I still have mortgages...unless in 10 years time, my terrace value goes up by a lot, if not prob only have about S$5k a mth at the most passive income for a family of 4 which is not a lot...

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
not really...I have seen many who pass on soon after stopping work. The trick is to take on slower paced work so that u won't be overly stressed. Pay is no longer the main concern. I have a few colleagues who came back to work after they cannot tahan the boredom .

More likely don't have enough money than boredom, because for the average person, retirement money depends on a limited amount of savings, for me, my retirement income will be based on rental which is passive and unlimited income.

Once I retire, I will start the day with exercise and make sure I don't miss, after that leisurely breakfast, maybe have lunch, sleep in the afternoons.

Evening have dinner and go for walks at malls or parks and go for holidays occasionally, meetup with friends etc. how on earth can one feel bored? and if this lifestyle can lead to boredom, how is waking up everyday and doing the same thing at work for 10 hours a day, facing bosses and regulations not boring?

Come on, don't kid yourself that you have to go back to work to escape boredom, work is the number one boring activity in life, that is why it is called work and not enjoyment.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not really, as I still have mortgages...unless in 10 years time, my terrace value goes up by a lot, if not prob only have about S$5k a mth at the most passive income for a family of 4 which is not a lot...

Your kids will grow up and be self supporting, so S$5k a month for two is decent in Malaysia.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
More likely don't have enough money than boredom, because for the average person, retirement money depends on a limited amount of savings, for me, my retirement income will be based on rental which is passive and unlimited income.

Once I retire, I will start the day with exercise and make sure I don't miss, after that leisurely breakfast, maybe have lunch, sleep in the afternoons.

Evening have dinner and go for walks at malls or parks and go for holidays occasionally, meetup with friends etc. how on earth can one feel bored? and if this lifestyle can lead to boredom, how is waking up everyday and doing the same thing at work for 10 hours a day, facing bosses and regulations not boring?

Come on, don't kid yourself that you have to go back to work to escape boredom, work is the number one boring activity in life, that is why it is called work and not enjoyment.

Maybe work will add some stress and excitement which can delay the usual old age maladies. Also heard of people who after retire soon also expire.:o

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe work will add some stress and excitement which can delay the usual old age maladies. Also heard of people who after retire soon also expire.:o

If job too simple, like sales assistant etc stand whole day, super boring and due to very low pay you get a different kind of stress, clean tables also very, very unsatisfying and demeaning, too high level job have big stress, must answer to and be responsible for performance etc. Which job offers a fine balance?

My parents retired for twenty plus years, my dad is 78 and my mum is 77 both very, very healthy, he still can cycle at least every 1, 3, 5 at East Coast every morning, BP is like that of a teenager, goes Sim Lim Square or wherever he wants in the afternoons and returns home in the evenings for dinner and watch TV with my mum every night, they go to JB every now and then with friends, and holidays every 3 to 4 months once. I envy them all the time. They have no money issues, my mother is pensioned by SG Govt till death and only pays only 20% on medical, my dad survives on property rental money.

That is why I never believe anyone who says of all things use work to kill boredom (???), must have their heads checked or simply cannot afford to retire and sour grapes.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
If job too simple, like sales assistant etc stand whole day, super boring and due to very low pay you get a different kind of stress, clean tables also very, very unsatisfying and demeaning, too high level job have big stress, must answer to and be responsible for performance etc. Which job offers a fine balance?

My parents retired for twenty plus years, my dad is 78 and my mum is 77 both very, very healthy, he still can cycle at least every 1, 3, 5 at East Coast every morning, BP is like that of a teenager, goes Sim Lim Square or wherever he wants in the afternoons and returns home in the evenings for dinner and watch TV with my mum every night, they go to JB every now and then with friends, and holidays every 3 to 4 months once. I envy them all the time. They have no money issues, my mother is pensioned by SG Govt till death and only pays only 20% on medical, my dad survives on property rental money.

That is why I never believe anyone who says of all things use work to kill boredom (???), must have their heads checked or simply cannot afford to retire and sour grapes.

Aiya...not many people in the same blessed circumstances like your parents mah...:p

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal

I also have retired friends who join back the workforce and they said life is more fulfilling and they are happier.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiya...not many people in the same blessed circumstances like your parents mah...:p

It is not about my parent's circumstances, it is about people who keep saying use work to kill boredom, I don't buy that view. Man is born to be free and do what he likes, not work in a fixed environment and fixed time till death, like prison.